Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,881 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:27 AM

Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. (28764 Views)

Ibrahim Pantami Seeks Reduction In Call, Data Tariff / MTN, Glo, Airtel Set To Increase Data, Call Tariffs / GSM Companies To Increase Data Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by lifezone247(m): 8:05pm On Nov 29, 2016
NEWISSUES, Abuja

By Haruna Yusuf

Nigerians all over, home and abroad, and on social media have come out to condemn the Federal Government’s directive to telecom providers to increase the tariff for calls that last beyond 3 minutes and that of data subscription.

It was complete outrage on social media with Nigerians calling the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari from clueless to waiting for him to just go by 2019 without bothering to contest. These are comments from notable Nigerians.

[b]Profesor Moses Ochonu from USA wrote:- “They have directed telecom providers to raise tariffs on data plans. The CBN governor says tariffs should be raised for calls that last beyond 3 minutes. After raising the price of petrol and causing the price of rice, foodstuffs, fertilizers, and other commodities to rise to astronomical levels, they have invaded the communication sector to raise more money to subsidize the expensive bureaucracies and political patronage of the ruling elites. With the implementation of the new telecom tariff structure, hungry, deprived Nigerians will no longer be able to use communication technology to share their stories of misery and commiserate with one another. What is the name of this ideology being implemented? I ask because even neoliberal capitalism is not this cruel. Where will they raid for revenue next? What will they tax next? The roads Nigerians walk on? The air they breathe? There is a concept called disaster capitalism, which essentially argues that a crisis or disaster provides capitalists and their allies in power with a perverse opportunity to push through far-reaching anti-people, exploitative, and unpopular reforms and changes in the name of responding to said crisis–changes that would never be tolerated in normal times. It now seems that, having taken the economy into recession, the Buhari administration is using the same recession as an excuse to deprive Nigerians of any essential commodities and services they can still afford and pursuing recovery on the back of struggling citizens. Instead of inspiring pro-poor interventions and empathies, the deepening recession has become an opportunity for the Oligarchs of the ruling APC to raid the population for revenue to maintain their privileges in a time of economic contraction and reduced oil revenue. A responsible government sees crisis as an opportunity to demonstrate its empathy for beleaguered citizens. This administration sees it as an opportunity to fleece them.”[/b]

Adams Absalom Kushi with AIT Bauchi wrote:- “Honestly, I’m disturbed and deeply touched with the way and manner things are deteriorating with every passing day. Yet without recourse to human feelings and the trauma, some are still happy with these things. They don’t see anything wrong in our suffering, they are comfortable with all these things going on in almost every sphere of our lives. People are languishing in hunger, misery and pain; yet you want to add fuel to the flame your polices have ignited.”

Dupe Olujitan-Adesina:-“They will soon start taxing us for the gift of sight. Those who have 2 clear eyes would be taxed higher than the one eyed man. The blind ones will be free in this case. If you can at least see the `beautiful` roads and the high rise buildings in ur state Uve got to pay for that. This isn’t funny but what other options do we have in these austere times than to laugh everything off? Pathetic!”

Francis B. Udo:- “I wonder. When did the CBN governor start directing service providers on how much to charge for their services? Has Nigeria become so confused and mixed up?”

Remi Adebayo wrote:-

“#SayNoToDataPriceIncrease

They threw fuel increase on your way, you absorbed it; increased electricity tariff, you kept mute; gradually you can’t afford to feed again, you’re looking like slowpoke. When you can’t pay rent and school fees again, you said it’s the CHAIN YOU VOTED FOR.

Now, they’re stiffening noose around your democratic rights, you’re looking like ‘suegbe pako’. Very soon, you will pay tax to see your kids and spouse.

NOTE: This is Barrister Adebayo Shittu, the Minister in charge of Communications. Under him, the NCC has instructed telecoms operators to increase data rates in Nigeria effective from December 1, 2016. Will you also look on like dummy or demand reversal of the mindless policy?

The choice is yours.
“CORRUPTION IS NOT JUST PEOPLE STEALING FROM GOVERNMENT, IT IS ALSO GOVERNMENT STEALING FROM THE PEOPLE.”

Join campaign to stop oppressive policies, #SayNoToDataPriceIncrease.

COPY AND PASTE on your wall if you believe in this cause. DON’T SHARE please!”

George Onmonya Daniel wrote:-

Let’s OCCUPY Nigeria Again!!!
So the Federal Government has decided to increase phone and Internet tariff (tax). In fact by 1st December, as is reported, we will have to pay more to make calls and to browse. To add salt to injury, the FIRS is talking about paying some form of tax before one can get an international passport. In a country where over 65% of the abled young men and women have no job, what tariff are we talking about here?

Sometimes what some of these people in power do defies common sense. So it is the common man’s money they want to use now to maintain their luxury lifestyle during this recession? The only thing that people enjoy nowadays (young people especially) and that keeps them sane in a country where the government people have LOOTED and slash our dreams in vaults in Switzerland and across the world are these things they want to hike the price of.

*Buhari hike the price of fuel, we kept quiet, where is the subsidy money he is saving?

*Any withdrawal from the bank, money gets deducted? Where is all the money?

We haven’t seen anything on ground. Those advising the President to do this are people who have looted so much they don’t even understand what common Nigerians are going through. This is not about politics, it is about us. Say no. Say No! And say NO!

Let’s share this message and let’s share it all over. We cannot pay for these criminals luxury lifestyles.

Stand with Nigeria! Stand with the masses!

-George Onmonya Daniel.

Mark Henry Kaycey:-

This government is subjecting us to perpetual suffering. Everything has been increased but why can’t he increase our salaries too?

http://www.newissuesmagazine.com/2016/11/nigerians-condemn-fg-over-plan-to-increase-data-tariff/

24 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by Flexherbal(m): 10:10pm On Nov 29, 2016
This government is funny ooo!
People never see money take buy food, them dey talk of increase data!!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by herzernIsHere: 10:10pm On Nov 29, 2016
What other thinqs will make life more unbearable than it is now if not "data increment"....

*There are thousands of small scale businesses in Niqeria that run on Internet connection...Their Cost of production will increase with meagre profit.

*Private Individuals also uses the internet to connect with friends and family....I hardly patronise voice call since the inception of Whatsapp call.....

* Upcominq Bloggers and Website developers will be made more uncomfortable..

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by ammyluv2002(f): 10:11pm On Nov 29, 2016
Government against the people undecided undecided

66 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by Nobody: 10:11pm On Nov 29, 2016
Not Some rather ALL Nigerians condemn it

Does it mean that this government is deaf to peoples complaints or their supporters are immune to these problems

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by henrydadon(m): 10:11pm On Nov 29, 2016
Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by Nobody: 10:11pm On Nov 29, 2016
The only plus to it is that some nonsense threads that litter here will be curtailed

Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by soberdrunk(m): 10:11pm On Nov 29, 2016
It has its advantages but the anger level of Nigerians is so high that nobody cares to even consider the advantages.... angry angry

Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by hobermener: 10:11pm On Nov 29, 2016
Talk about a country getting fùcked in the arse!!! I laugh uncontrollably when some on here threaten to kick buhari out with their voters card come 2019. Anyone who thumb printed beside the demonic broom waving logo grin in 2015 and was oblivious of the fact that he or she was giving buhari an 8 year mandate is probably more daft than buhari himself, (Edo and ondo states vindicate my assertion)
No one protested the fuel hike.
No one protested the padded budget.
No one protested the gross mismanagement of the economy.
Job racketeering was swept under the carpet.

But everyone is losing sleep over a proposed hike in data plans, which goes a long way to show what our priorities are - sit back and gossip the elites, while they plunge the country into the abyss!!!

186 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by lilprinze: 10:11pm On Nov 29, 2016
APC AND BUHARI ARE the BIGGEST SCAM IN THE HISTROY OF NIGERIA.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by Atiku2019: 10:12pm On Nov 29, 2016
This is just the WORST Government in the History of Nigeria.... I Think Buhari has to pay his Online Zombies N8million a week because it's not easy defending incompetence Walahi cry

One Step Forward, Twenty Steps Backward cry

Well I'll rather Vote for an Atiku than Vote for 150% Incompetent Buhari.... My hands are tied.

How many Likes for an Atiku over an Incompetent Buhari? cry

121 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by niqqa(m): 10:12pm On Nov 29, 2016
Click lick if u hate buhari

271 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by powerfulsettingz: 10:12pm On Nov 29, 2016

APC is a scam
Change is just an hyperbole
Buhari is a total punishment

2019 is the next hope but till then I can't comment or open any thread anyhow

Data now equivalent to dollar

VERY CONFUSED GOVERNMENT

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by Mushyhills(m): 10:12pm On Nov 29, 2016
All I see is the dullard working

Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by ClintonNzedimma(m): 10:12pm On Nov 29, 2016
BUHARI is Nigeria's Biggest Mistake..... I regret supporting him in 2015.
In a world where governments are working hard to make the internet cheaper, faster and give more coverage, we are here making Internet a luxury instead of a necessity.

My God, what have Nigerians done to deserve all this, what my father...

67 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by CzarChris(m): 10:12pm On Nov 29, 2016
Una wake up late.
I have been called a wailing wailer and so many funny but derogatory names for not supporting the climb into power by this devil currently ruling us and his club of demons out to stifle life out of every Nigerian.
Una wake up really late .

Sai Baba till 2050...mtchewww

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by yanabasee(m): 10:13pm On Nov 29, 2016
I was told he'll diversify the economy and make Naira's GDP to grow above Africa's standard... I guess I was lied to...

I was told that he will slash-down NASS high salary and use the money to burst the economy.. I guess I was lied to..

I was asked to go back and read my history notebook that in 1985 there were no corrupt practices under his watch and for that reason there will be no corrupt practices if he's elected for... Yet, under his watch the almighty blueprint of 2016 budget of integrity got missing and budget got padded and no one is jailed or probed...

I was told he's fearless and that he'll fight the Boko-haram war from the frontline becoz he's a former military officer and that he has the basic knowledge required to destroy BH... Yet BH keeps ambushing our NA and turning them to cowards under a former Military general...

I knew I was lied to... I tried to enlighten them.. They said I was an enemy of progress.. They said, Nigeria under him will be great.. I'm sure by GREAT they meant increment in DATA PLAN and CALL RATES...

I vote for impeachment...

niqqa:
Click lick if u hate buhari

I should click "lick" How

54 Likes

Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by Jollyakat(m): 10:13pm On Nov 29, 2016
this is bad
Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by Tolulopefinest(m): 10:13pm On Nov 29, 2016
#I think Nigeria is cursed

Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by piagetskinner(m): 10:14pm On Nov 29, 2016
Hmm
Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by Yeah55(m): 10:14pm On Nov 29, 2016
Nawao..
Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by OZAOEKPE(f): 10:14pm On Nov 29, 2016

Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by fadasam: 10:14pm On Nov 29, 2016
Dis Government don taya me

Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by padi94(m): 10:14pm On Nov 29, 2016
Nigeria
Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by Nobody: 10:14pm On Nov 29, 2016
Nigeria is a joke

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by lilprinze: 10:15pm On Nov 29, 2016
This government is the most useless government ever

Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by Fortune02(m): 10:15pm On Nov 29, 2016
confused Government
Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by cosmatika(m): 10:15pm On Nov 29, 2016
Wen d wisemen from d East were saying it b4 d election, d Afonjas didn't listen. We reminded dem that wen the rain from the gathering clouds fall, that both d Wailers and the Zombies will be drenched, they closed their ears. Therefore, everyone should enjoy d chain until 2019 wen hunger and suffering must has reset their brains

68 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by Dandyboy57(m): 10:16pm On Nov 29, 2016
#Say No NCC Extortion !
Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by Respect55(m): 10:16pm On Nov 29, 2016
Wat else can I say about this govt . Nutin.
We as Nigerians failed ourselves.
U asking me how?
Search ur conscience.

Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by BrutalJab: 10:16pm On Nov 29, 2016
grin They will tell you that mmm is bad dont invest, so that you can remain poor and during election, you will be given 3k in exchange for your future. You will agree.

As a Mavrodian, I'm covered.

THIS IS THE CHANGE WE CHOSED!

Let's enjoy it.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. by ouski25: 10:17pm On Nov 29, 2016
;DAbeg

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What I Noticed After Iphone Battery Replacement / NCAA To Demolish Globacom Masts Nationwide Over ₦5.9 Billion Debts / Etisalat Nigeria Statement On Fuel Scarcity