Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,117 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:55 PM

Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography (16876 Views)

Read How Igbos Humilated Ikwerres For Not Supporting Biafra In Elechi Amadi's Au / Presidency: Okorocha Kicks Against Igbo Presidency Based On Zoning / PDP Against Igbo Presidency – APC Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by bigfrancis21: 12:09am On Dec 01, 2016
omonnakoda:
This post was not addressed to you so let us make a deal you do not quote me ever in your life and I avoid you too?
Otherwise stop being ridiculous

You're a yoruba man, why do you carry Igbo matters on your head? What is your obsession with Igbos that nearly half of all your posts on nairaland are on Igbo matters? undecided undecided

7 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by omonnakoda: 12:10am On Dec 01, 2016
Ikwerre is a different language from Igbo that is the current academic position and if you want to dispute that then you need to do some real scholarship and not internet sounding off

5 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by waternogetenemy: 12:11am On Dec 01, 2016
The first true form of Kingship in West Africa has its roots in Nri. The rest are pure colonial creations to facilitate the slave trade.

West Africa[edit]
Further information: History of West Africa
The West African empires of this period peaked in power in the late 18th century, paralleling the peak of the Atlantic slave trade. These empires implemented a culture of permanent warfare in order to generate the required numbers of captives required to satisfy the demand for slaves by the European colonies. With the gradual abolition of slavery in the European colonial empires during the 19th century, slave trade again became less lucrative and the West African empires entered a period of decline, and mostly collapsed by the end of the 19th century.[9]

The Nok Civilization is considered to be one of the most advanced ancient sub-Saharan civilizations in African history. Beginning some time around 1500 BCE, it was largely concentrated in what is now Nigeria but produced some of the first sub-Saharan iron smelting and terracotta architecture. Mysteriously died out around 200 CE.

The Kingdom of Nri (1043–1911) was the West African medieval state of the Nri-Igbo, a subgroup of the Igbo people, and is the oldest kingdom in Nigeria. The Kingdom of Nri was unusual in the history of world government in that its leader exercised no military power over his subjects. The kingdom existed as a sphere of religious and political influence over much of Igboland, and was administered by a priest-king called the eze Nri. The eze Nri managed trade and diplomacy on behalf of the Igbo people, and was the possessor of divine authority in religious matters.

The Oyo Empire (1400–1895) was a West African empire of what is today western Nigeria. The empire was established by the Yoruba in the 15th century and grew to become one of the largest West African states. It rose to preeminence through wealth gained from trade and its possession of a powerful cavalry. The Oyo Empire was the most politically important state in the region from the mid-17th to the late 18th century, holding sway not only over other Yoruba states, but also over the Fon kingdom of Dahomey (located in the state now known as the Republic of Benin).

Benin Empire (1440–1897), a pre-colonial African state of modern Nigeria.
Kaabu Empire (1537–1867), a Mandinka Kingdom of Senegambia (centered on modern northeastern Guinea-Bissau but extending into Casamance, Senegal) that rose to prominence in the region thanks to its origins as a former province of the Mali Empire. After the decline of the Mali Empire, Kaabu became an independent kingdom.

Aro Confederacy (1690–1902), a trading union orchestrated by the Igbo subgroup, the Aro people, centered in Arochukwu in present-day Southeastern Nigeria.

Bonoman (11th Century–19th Century) - Earliest known Akan state. Gold trading and Kola nut trading with Northern Neighbors brought wealth and prosperity to Akan creators of this state.. Culture influenced much of modern Akan culture.

Ashanti Empire (1701–1894), a pre-colonial Akan West African state of what is now the Ashanti Region in Ghana. The empire stretched from central Ghana to present day Togo and Côte d'Ivoire, bordered by the Dagomba kingdom to the north and Dahomey to the east. Today, the Ashanti monarchy continues as one of the constitutionally protected, sub-national traditional states within the Republic of Ghana.
Various states by Akan people (11th Century -19th Century)

Kong Empire (1710–1898) centered in north eastern Côte d'Ivoire that also encompassed much of present-day Burkina Faso.

Bamana Empire (1712–1896) based at Ségou, now in Mali. It was ruled by the Kulubali or Coulibaly dynasty established circa 1640 by Fa Sine also known as Biton-si-u. The empire existed as a centralized state from 1712 to the 1861 invasion of Toucouleur conqueror El Hadj Umar Tall.

Sokoto Caliphate (1804–1903), an Islamic empire in Nigeria, led by the Sultan of Sokoto, Sa’adu Abubakar. Founded during the Fulani Jihad in the early 19th century, it was one of the most powerful empires in sub-Saharan Africa prior to European conquest and colonization. The caliphate remained extant through the colonial period and afterwards, though with reduced power.

Wassoulou Empire (1878–1898), a short-lived empire of built from the conquests of Dyula ruler Samori Ture and destroyed by the French colonial army.
Great Lakes[edit]

2 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by bigfrancis21: 12:11am On Dec 01, 2016
omonnakoda:
He is not talking about intelligibility but lexicon they are completely different

Intelligibility derives from lexicon. Lexicon refers to the vocabulary of a language. If the vocabulary of two dialects are nearly the same, then such dialects are intelligible or simply put, variants of each other. Slight differences in pronunciation leads to differences in dialects but the vocabulary may stay the same.

The truth about Ikwerre being an Igbo dialect still stands tho.

4 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by omonnakoda: 12:11am On Dec 01, 2016
bigfrancis21:

You're a yoruba man, why do you carry Igbo matters on your head? What is your obsession with Igbos that nearly half of all your posts on nairaland are on Igbo matters? undecided undecided
Ikwerre matter is not Igbo matter. Yoruba blood was spilled liberating them from your forebears and we shall ensure that it was not in vain. Kudos to Baba Obasanjo and the Black Scorpion

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by omonnakoda: 12:12am On Dec 01, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Intelligibility derives from lexicon. Lexicon refers to the vocabulary of a language. If the vocabulary of two dialects are nearly the same, then such dialects are intelligible or simply put, variants of each other.

YOUR TRUTH IN YOUR WORLD did you read him he said the lexicon are NOT nearly the same read again so why then lecture him about intelligibility

2 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by waternogetenemy: 12:13am On Dec 01, 2016
omonnakoda:
Ikwerre matter is not Igbo matter. Yoruba blood was spilled liberating them from your forebears and we shall ensure that it was not in vain. Kudos to Baba Obasanjo and the Black Scorpion

Sometimes, i think yoruba has no purpose to exist and igbo should be charitable and breed dem out. Look at the nonsense this one is writing. Does he have any sense at all?

5 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by CeterisXVII: 12:13am On Dec 01, 2016
bigfrancis21:
First, that was not me. Second, I just reviewed her ban log now and the offence for which the moderator (whom I won't mention his name) banned her was grave as she made a very tribalistic comment, against the rules of nairaland.
Do you know how many people have made tribalistic comments here, especially those within the IPOB group?? Have they all been banned? No, the mods turn a blind eye to their antics.

waternogetenemy:

Sometimes, i think yoruba has no purpose to exist and igbo should be charitable and breed dem out. Look at the nonsense this one is writing. Does he have any sense at all?
@bigfrancis21, I guess the comment made above is not tribalistic in your view??

3 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by omonnakoda: 12:14am On Dec 01, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Intelligibility derives from lexicon. Lexicon refers to the vocabulary of a language. If the vocabulary of two dialects are nearly the same, then such dialects are intelligible or simply put, variants of each other. Slight differences in pronunciation leads to differences in dialects but the vocabulary may stay the same.

Intelligibility does not derive from lexicon that is nonsense.and you contradict yourself

2 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by waternogetenemy: 12:15am On Dec 01, 2016
CeterisXVII:

Do you know how many people have made tribalistic comments here, especially those within the IPOB group?? Have they all been banned? No, the mods turn a blind eye to their antics.

They have all been banned, na the mods tire to ban.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by bigfrancis21: 12:16am On Dec 01, 2016
omonnakoda:

Well, you are trivial to argue who is Igbo or not because you are not Igbo and Ikwerres are an Igboid group. Also, nothing lasts forever. The value of crude oil has reduced immensely since the discovery of shale in the US. Experts do not expect the oil market to bounce back to its former status. With the decline in oil value, the causative factor of division in southern Nigeria, these communities are gradually realizing the folly behind oil. Many Ikwerres are beginning to reclaim their Igbo heritage. Their big brothers, Igbos, are very forgiving in nature. We will continue to welcome them back into our fold, just like we do with the african americans of Igbo ancestry.

The end to your tyranny is nigh.

6 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by waternogetenemy: 12:16am On Dec 01, 2016
omonnakoda:

@CeterisXVII: wat does this comment sound like to u? if i respond, i am a tribalist? We react not initiate.

Every tribal war is started by a yoruba prfessional thread pusher and we cannot allow such statement slide as other readers might be misled.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by omonnakoda: 12:18am On Dec 01, 2016
CeterisXVII:

@bigfrancis21, I guess the comment made above is not tribalistic in your view??
Do not let bans bother you. It is clear some moderators act out a personal vendetta but for me a ban is useful because I think I spend too much time here anyway and if I am banned I will not get a different name so let them enjoy their little power. It is part of Seun's business strategy to empower very tribalistic mods.which would never happen if roles were reversed we all know how intoxicated these folk can get by power

4 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by bigfrancis21: 12:21am On Dec 01, 2016
omonnakoda:
YOUR TRUTH IN YOUR WORLD did you read him he said the lexicon are NOT nearly the same read again so why then lecture him about intelligibility

You are not Igbo and that's why you do not understand the language nor the dialects. I was born in PH myself and did my primary school there and returned there severally. I know the Ikwerre dialect well enough to tell you that in terms of lexicon, it is not different from other Igbo dialects, thus making it intelligible to other Igbo dialects. I remember saying that differences in pronunciation could lead to differences in dialects but intelligibility derives from lexicon.

Yoruba and Igbo are different because their lexicons are different. Same for English and French. But the same cannot be said for Ikwerre and other Igbo dialects.

3 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by omonnakoda: 12:22am On Dec 01, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Well, you are trivial to argue who is Igbo or not because you are not Igbo and Ikwerres are an Igboid group. Also, nothing lasts forever. The value of crude oil has reduced immensely since the discovery of shale in the US. Experts do not expect the oil market to bounce back to its former status. With the decline in oil value, the causative factor of division in southern Nigeria, these communities are gradually realizing the folly behind oil. Many Ikwerres are beginning to reclaim their Igbo heritage. Their big brothers, Igbos, are very forgiving in nature. We will continue to welcome them back into our fold, just like we do with the african americans of Igbo ancestry.

The end to your tyranny is nigh.
Ikwerres are not an Igboid group.There is nothing like Igboid group.Where do you get that from. They speak Ikwerre which is an Igboid language which is a cluster of languages with Igbo speakers as the largest group hence the name Igboid.

Nothing like Igboid Group

3 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by waternogetenemy: 12:23am On Dec 01, 2016
omonnakoda:
Ikwerres are not an Igboid group.There is nothing like Igboid group.Where do you get that from. They speak Ikwerre which is an Igboid language which is a cluster of languages with Igbo speakers as the largest group hence the name Igboid.

No need, come back to the east and liberate Ikwerre to join Yorubas. U have a lot of blood u want to pour into River Niger as u said. It is a free world.

6 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by bigfrancis21: 12:23am On Dec 01, 2016
waternogetenemy:
The first true form of Kingship in West Africa has its roots in Nri. The rest are pure colonial creations to facilitate the slave trade.

Nri is the oldest kingdom in southern Nigeria, predating the Bini, Oyo and Ife kingdoms of southern Nigeria. Carbon dating evidence exists that show this.

5 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by bigfrancis21: 12:24am On Dec 01, 2016
omonnakoda:

I hear you. You have been noticed. Ikwerre otimkpu.

5 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by waternogetenemy: 12:25am On Dec 01, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Nri is the oldest kingdom in southern Nigeria, predating the Oyo and Ife kingdoms. Carbon dating evidence exists that show this.

It is not just the oldest but the purest. Others where establishment to facilitate slavery and actually worked for either the Transatlantic slave trade or the Subsaharan slave trade.

3 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by omonnakoda: 12:26am On Dec 01, 2016
bigfrancis21:

You are not Igbo and that's why you do not understand the language nor the dialects. I was born in PH myself and did my primary school there and returned there severally. I know the Ikwerre dialect well enough to tell you that in terms of lexicon, it is not different from other Igbo dialects, thus making it intelligible to other Igbo dialects. I remember saying that differences in pronunciation could lead to differences in dialects but intelligibility derives from lexicon.

Yoruba and Igbo are different because their lexicons are different. Same for English and French. But the same cannot be said for Ikwerre and other Igbo dialects.
Ikwerre has a different lexicon from Igbo with some overlap and that is why they are in the same family ditto for English ,German and Dutch, ditto for French Spanish and Italian. That does not make them one a dialect of another. They are Germanic and Romance languages respectively.

That English is a Germanic language does not make it a dialect of German and so on. They just happened to have similar origin thousands of years ago .

There is nothing you know about PH that I do not know so leave story

3 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by omonnakoda: 12:28am On Dec 01, 2016
You seem to think you can bulldoze your way with your opinions.That is all they are opinions based on wishful thining of what you want reality to be.Well there are many who do not subscribe to your make believe world and fantasies

2 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by omonnakoda: 12:29am On Dec 01, 2016
bigfrancis21:

I hear you. You have been noticed. Ikwerre otimkpu.
Back to sender

3 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by waternogetenemy: 12:30am On Dec 01, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Nri is the oldest kingdom in southern Nigeria, predating the Oyo and Ife kingdoms. Carbon dating evidence exists that show this.

U will find that their existence coincides with the arrivals of the Colonialist in the 15th Century. (other west africa kingdoms)

The question here is who and wat is Eze Nri, from where did dey get that idea?

Does the existence of Nri Kingdom indicate the arrival of Igbos in West Africa and from where did they come? Was it Israel or Ethiopia?

It is definately somewhere East

1 Like

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by bigfrancis21: 12:30am On Dec 01, 2016
omonnakoda:

The Romans never bothered to learn............ Do you have evidence for this claim??
Jesus was Trilingual you say he may well have been but the Lingua Franca was Aramaic and had been for 600 years before he was born. Do you have evidence he was Trilingual?

You are just speculating blindly

The point is he spoke Aramaic in communication because that was the language of the place and time .

The point is not how many languages he knew( he is God allegedly) but that Hebrew was dead and we cannot say because the Hebrews spoke Aramaic that they were Syrians. Language and Culture of people who live close by may be shared as with Hausa that does not make every speaker Hausa.
So that Ikwerre and Ibo resemble each other does not mean they are one people. They could be but language is not evidence they are

This is just nonsense. Did you read the link I sent to you? There is hard evidence that he spoke Hebrew, in addition to Aramaic, and also Latin. You are just here making up nonsense for yourself.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by bigfrancis21: 12:34am On Dec 01, 2016
omonnakoda:
Back to sender

Hahaha. See who doesn't understand any Igbo dialects presenting himself as an authority on Igbo (the term used to classify all bia-speaking groups) matter. Ikwerre otimkpu. I hope you get paid for this or you get your satisfaction from dwelling in hate.

6 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by omonnakoda: 12:34am On Dec 01, 2016
bigfrancis21:

This is just nonsense. Did you read the link I sent to you? There is hard evidence that he spoke Hebrew, in addition to Aramaic, and also Latin. You are just here making up nonsense for yourself.
Read and comprehend. I am not hear to rid the world of illiteracy. You said he was Trilingual I asked for evidence . How is asking for evidence "making up" anything. What did I make up EXACTLY . Please reproduce it?

Where is the evidence he spoke Latin Hard evidence as you claim
No I am not likely to read any of your links. I do not take you seriously when it comes to intellectual stuff ,honestly, you are just a source of merriment

8 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by bigfrancis21: 12:37am On Dec 01, 2016
omonnakoda:
Read and comprehend. I am not hear to rid the world of illiteracy. You said he was Trilingual I asked for evidence . How is asking for evidence "making up" anything. What did I make up EXACTLY . Please reproduce it?

Where is the evidence he spoke Latin Hard evidence as you claim
No I am not likely to read any of your links. I do not take you seriously when it comes to intellectual stuff ,honestly, you are just a source of merriment

Mr. evidence. Here's what you seek.

3 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by omonnakoda: 12:41am On Dec 01, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Mr. evidence. Here's what you seek.
This is evidence?? What is it exactly? I like to believe that you understand the basics of scholarship and you can comprehend what you are presenting as HARD EVIDENCE THAT JESUS SPOKE LATIN

To me it looks like a speculative article written by an unknown author that you are too lazy to cite or introduce.
You are ridiculous,According to your own evidence he spoke Greek too so he COULD NOT HAVE BEEN TRILINGUAL

2 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by bigfrancis21: 12:43am On Dec 01, 2016
omonnakoda:
This is evidence?? What is it exactly? I like to believe that you understand the basics of scholarship and you can comprehend what you are presenting as HARD EVIDENCE THAT JESUS SPOKE LATIN

To me it looks like a speculative article written by an unknown author that you are too lazy to cite or introduce.
You are ridiculous

Well at least I don't have to prove anything to you. There are people I would take out the time to prove things to because they are worth it.

2 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by omonnakoda: 12:44am On Dec 01, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Well at least I don't have to prove anything to you. There are people I would take out the time to prove things to because they are worth it.
But your "evidence" shows he spoke Greek which makes him more than Trilingual? Haba!! Did he not speak Igbo too?

4 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by bigfrancis21: 12:47am On Dec 01, 2016
omonnakoda:
Ikwerre has a different lexicon from Igbo with some overlap and that is why they are in the same family ditto for English ,German and Dutch, ditto for French Spanish and Italian. That does not make them one a dialect of another. They are Germanic and Romance languages respectively.

That English is a Germanic language does not make it a dialect of German and so on. They just happened to have similar origin thousands of years ago .

There is nothing you know about PH that I do not know so leave story

How did you know this when you do not speak nor understand Ikwerre? Don't you think you're being ridiculous?

You made a claim, can you provide evidence THAT IKWERRE HAS A DIFFERENT LEXICON FROM IGBO?

Let us start from there.

3 Likes

Re: Ikwerres Went Against Igbo Colonisation In Elechi Amadi's Autobiography by bigfrancis21: 12:48am On Dec 01, 2016
omonnakoda:
But your "evidence" shows he spoke Greek which makes him more than Trilingual? Haba!! Did he not speak Igbo too?

Like I said you are not brain worthy to prove anything to you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Aisha Buhari At NDE Empowerment Of 11,600 Women And Youths In Akwa Ibom / Abia:one State, 2 Govs- The Vanguard / Buhari Not Harrasing Jonathan's Family, Law is Taking Its Course - Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.