Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,964 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:43 AM

I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says (12585 Views)

Buhari Ordered AGF Malami To Meet With Me, Ensure My Reinstatement – Maina / DSS Raids Pencom Office In Abuja As Anohu-amazu Goes Into Hiding / AGF, Malami Appears Before Senate This Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by BeeBeeOoh(m): 1:59am On Nov 30, 2016
The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami, said on Tuesday that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission had no exclusive rights to any investigations, including matters relating solely to financial crimes.

He also said his office received full briefing and gave backing to the arrest of some judges by the Department of State Services over allegations of corruption last month.

Malami spoke in Abuja as he appeared before an ad hoc committee of the House of Representatives at the National Assembly.

The committee, which is chaired by Mr. Garba Dhatti, is investigating all cases of invasion of property and arrests of persons by the DSS from May 2015 till date.

The AGF said there were reasonable grounds to justify the arrest of the judges, looking at the high number of petitions that had been received by his office, the DSS, EFCC and other anti-graft agencies.

Citing Section 15 (5) of the 1999 Constitution, he stated that the state had a responsibility to halt all acts of corruption and could deploy any agency with the capacity to achieve that purpose.

He also said the state waded into the matter after the National Judicial Council was duly notified but was not willing to act.

Malami also told the session that judges had no immunity against prosecution, adding that there was no requirement of law which stipulated that only the EFCC must investigate financial crimes.

His position was a clear reference to an earlier submission to the committee by the EFCC. The anti-graft agency had insisted that the DSS acted outside its jurisdiction since the alleged offence of the judges fell under financial crime and did not pose a threat to national security.

Asked whether he ordered the raids on the homes of the judges, Malami replied, “When we are talking about constitutional obligations, it goes without saying that all state instruments, Ministries, Departments and Agencies are under obligation, inclusive of the legislature and the judiciary, to take steps that will abolish all corrupt practices.

“It is in respect of that obligation that whatever issues that arose from the search and arrest of the judicial officers were carried out.

“The state was in receipt of multiple petitions of corrupt practices by the judicial officers and there was further apprehension that if immediate steps were not taken, the possibility of destroying existing evidence that were believed to have been kept within their respective domains would eventually be tampered with.

“Arising from the responsibility created and established by Section 15 of the constitution, the state had to act.

“But, the question of which agency has the responsibility of executing it, my response to that derives from the fact that multiple petitions were written to the Office of the AGF, DSS, EFCC and a lot of other agencies of government.

“To my mind, I have a discretion to look at and weigh the situation and decide which agency against the background of the petition, who will act for the purpose of ensuring that the obligation of the provisions of Section 15 (5) of the constitution are carried out.

“So, whatever evolved from the search and arrest of the judicial officers revolved around the need to comply with the responsibility and obligation vested in them by provisions of the constitution and the need to ensure that the investigation was not in any way tampered with negatively.

“These were the circumstances that led to the operations. It was a clear exercise of the constitutional mandate in respect of what is expected of the State to abolish corrupt practices.”

The AGF explained how his office felt compelled to act after it became apparent that the NJC would not act on the petitions before it.

He added, “When we got the petitions, I had cause personally to write to the NJC, requesting that they take administrative steps to investigate the allegations contained in the petitions.

“A response was made to my office that the NJC could not act unless the petitions were accompanied with affidavits. But, I felt there were no reasons why the petitions could not be looked into on their own merit by placing sanctions on the AGF, while it was a constitutional obligation.

“Incidentally, multiple petitions were also written to the DSS and I requested that they equally write to the NJC to look into the petitions, but it was the same response the DSS got from the NJC that without a supporting affidavit the petitions could not be looked into.

“So, we have a situation where there is reasonable grounds for suspicion for commission of corruption and we have a body saddled with the primary administrative responsibility of looking at such things first, but it seems not to be cooperating in that respect.

“Meanwhile, when issue of commission of corruption practice is established, the executive has the responsibility of investigation without recourse to the judiciary.

“That is how the idea of taking the advantage of Section 15 (5) arose.

“I asked the EFCC and the DSS and another agency to investigate because they were in receipt of several petitions on the same subject and I was informed by the DSS before the search and arrest and I did not object.”

Malami further disclosed how he received reports on the raids.

He said, “The DSS presented a formal report to me before and after effecting the search and arrest; they informed me that the operation will be done at any hour without restriction.

“I had no objection that the operation would be carried out at night because I have taken time to go through the administration of Criminal Justice Act and I was convinced that this operation can be conducted at any hour, any moment without restriction.

“I didn’t have to inform the Inspector-General of Police or Commissioner of Police in the State about the DSS operation because they were also under the same constitutional obligation to act. One of the agencies had investigated, came up with a report and I was convinced.”

http://punchng.com/approved-dss-raids-arrest-judges-agf/

5 Likes

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by Nutase: 2:06am On Nov 30, 2016
Clap for yourself

9 Likes

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by sarrki(m): 2:28am On Nov 30, 2016
You did the right thing

God bless you sire

More of it

Nobody should come and preach rule of law

Hypocrisy is when you preach rule of law to defend a

Criminal.

Don't forget we aren't matured for rule of law

What I know and believe strongly is

We are matured for rule of engagement

57 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by naijaking1: 2:31am On Nov 30, 2016
Very unfortunate. Arrest a judge for "corruption", and end up charging them for non-existent money laundry and awarding contracts to build their own personal houses. Meanwhile, the publicity trial of judges continue in the press!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by Stalwert: 2:34am On Nov 30, 2016
They only know rule of law not balance of power or checks and. balances inherent in the system.

2 Likes

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by Stalwert: 2:35am On Nov 30, 2016
naijaking1:
Very unfortunate. Arrest a judge for "corruption", and end up charging them for non-existent money laundry and awarding contracts to build their own personal houses. Meanwhile, the publicity trial of judges continue in the press!

see as they don't they talk rubish for their love of corruption

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by naijaking1: 2:42am On Nov 30, 2016
Stalwert:

see as they don't they talk rubish for their love of corruption

See as they open their mouth of stu..pidity, tribalism, and corruption, trying to breach separation of power.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by Stalwert: 3:37am On Nov 30, 2016
naijaking1:

See as they open their mouth of stu..pidity, tribalism, and corruption, trying to breach separation of power.

Your case na sori oh, your case no pass man wey dey dance skelewu because him wife don born pikin wey amy robber put for her belle .. na so you dey do free pr for person wey no know say you dey alive .... oga defending of corruption make shame catch you small .

Na jazz dem do you?

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by softMarket(m): 3:37am On Nov 30, 2016
angry so malami abubakar is not corrupt baa

Anyways, your turn go reach and u wil come and wail grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by Atiku2019: 3:39am On Nov 30, 2016
Nice
Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by blackpanda: 4:44am On Nov 30, 2016
[s]
naijaking1:
[/s]

You have said nothing. Nobody is above the law, not even judges!

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by dokiOloye(m): 5:43am On Nov 30, 2016
Keep using DSS to do EFCC's work.
Meanwhile,boko haram has been killing Nigerians for more than 7yrs and DSS has not been able to infiltrate it,nor decipher their sponsors nor source of arms.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by tafabaloo(m): 5:46am On Nov 30, 2016
Good .

Sir,let this be extended to some friends of the Party who are being fingered in corruption related matters as well.

Thanks and God bless you.

1 Like

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by SillyMods: 6:00am On Nov 30, 2016
We asked the judges, the lawyers and defenders of corrupt judges to clearly state the part of our Constitution that was breached in the DSS raid. Till date, NO ONE has been able to give an answer.

When looters steal our common wealth, they don't think of the rule of law they break in committing the crime.

They use a fraction of their loots to compromise the judges who are suppose to punish them for their crime, neither the bribed judges nor the looters consider the laws they're breaking.

And when we're lucky to have a president who is ready to bring looters to justice through any means necessary, they and their shameless supporters start to talk of one useless rule of law.

If there are no other reasons apart from the fight against corruption and insurgency to campaign for Buhari in 2019 , those two are enough for me to do so.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by April4th(m): 6:08am On Nov 30, 2016
The hunter will soon become the hunted cool
Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by Paperwhite(m): 6:14am On Nov 30, 2016
Keep on displaying your stupidity to support lawlessness in order to satisfy a lawless president.Where in the world have you heard it been done that way-FBI involving in financial crime? BTW,who have been convicted so far? Meanwhile BH is killing our precious forces with no intelligent Intel on how how to unravel this mysterious trend.It's a pity. cry cry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by Paperwhite(m): 6:22am On Nov 30, 2016
dokiOloye:
Keep using DSS to do EFCC's work.
Meanwhile,boko haram has been killing Nigerians for more than 7yrs and DSS has not been able to infiltrate it,nor decipher their sponsors nor source of arms.
That is just it. cool Nigeria is a mess.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by Tonyosas101(m): 6:30am On Nov 30, 2016
Slay them all,, even your oga @ d top (pMB)

1 Like

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by Nobody: 6:37am On Nov 30, 2016
On point.
I am with Fr Mbaka on this. Arrest more Judges!

6 Likes

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by Rilwayne001: 6:38am On Nov 30, 2016
SillyMods:

If there are no other reasons apart from the fight against corruption and insurgency to campaign for Buhari in 2019 , those two are enough for me to do so.

If the economy continues this way without any changes, your campaign will be dead on arrival. undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by BeeBeeOoh(m): 7:56am On Nov 30, 2016
Rilwayne001:

If the economy continues this way with any changes, your campaign will be dead on arrival. undecided
As they said in the bible that whenever a sinner repents there's joy in heaven, so we say here on NL that whenever an ardent zombie sees the light, There's Joy All Over Nairaland..

My brother eye yam happy for you.

Don't mind the guy you quoted, when better hunger sets in, his brain will be on full reset without his consent..

5 Likes

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by Rilwayne001: 8:02am On Nov 30, 2016
BeeBeeOoh:

Don't mind the guy you quoted, when better hunger sets in, his brain will be on full reset without his consent..

Lol, so now according to you, only the hungry ones wail over the situation of the country? undecided

2 Likes

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by agabusta: 8:02am On Nov 30, 2016
Badt guy AGF

1 Like

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by sarrki(m): 8:04am On Nov 30, 2016
agabusta:
Badt guy AGF

Very bahd Guy

1 Like

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by agabusta: 8:07am On Nov 30, 2016
sarrki:

Very bahd Guy

The committee go just tire. grin grin

They may even just round up the enquiry.

3 Likes

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by BeeBeeOoh(m): 8:17am On Nov 30, 2016
Rilwayne001:

Lol, so now according to you, only the hungry ones wail over the situation of the country? undecided
No bro! You know hunger has a way of working wonders on people, his stomach is still filled up now. May be by the time it decongest like a traffic congestion, he will start thinking straight forward, now his thinking dangles like the pendulum clock..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by Nobody: 8:25am On Nov 30, 2016
OK, we hear

Main while, Arsene Wenger

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by SillyMods: 8:25am On Nov 30, 2016
Rilwayne001:

If the economy continues this way with any changes, your campaign will be dead on arrival. undecided
The economy will be sorted out sooner or later. Be calm and patient.

3 Likes

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by sarrki(m): 8:31am On Nov 30, 2016
Rilwayne001:

Economy will be sort out

2 Likes

Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by Nobody: 8:53am On Nov 30, 2016
grin grin grin grin
Re: I Approved DSS Raids & Arrest Of Judges - AGF, Malami Abubakar Says by SweetLove0(f): 8:54am On Nov 30, 2016
clap for yourself

(1) (2) (Reply)

Some Released Chibok Girls To Undergo Surgery- Minister Of Women Affairs / Igbos Has Started Editing The Wikipedia Pages Of Southern Minorities / 2023: Adebanjo, Clark, Govs Dialogue On Igbo Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.