Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,425 members, 7,800,924 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:03 AM

Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase (4001 Views)

MTN Reacts Over The Sudden Price Increase Of Recharge Cards / Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase / NCC Suspends Data Price Increase (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by SouthWestBlood(m): 4:07pm On Nov 30, 2016
I heard from a very reliable source.

They complained that the new 4G LTE rolled out by the GSM operators data prices are too cheap and may put them out of business.

I will do away with my Smile modem once my current subscription is depleted.

I was enjoying the 4G on Airtel until my phone screen broke completely and made me resume using Smile.

Internet should be cheap and made almost free. Just for leaving my PC on for a day, it consumes about 2GB. So why should they try to choke us with it?

4 Likes

Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by duwdu: 6:00pm On Nov 30, 2016
SouthWestBlood:

They complained that the new 4G LTE rolled out by the GSM operators data prices are too cheap and may put them out of business.

I will do away with my Smile modem once my current subcription is depleted.

I was enjoy the 4G on Airtel not until my phone screen broke completely and made me resume using Smile.

Internet should be cheap and made almost free. Just for leaving my PC on for a day, it consumes about 2GB. So why should they try to choke us with it?

Thanks for posting.

That those two start-ups cried to the NCC was not a surprise. What's very surprising — indeed unfortunate — is that the NCC was so gullible as to attempt to put so much new, additional, and unwarranted revenue, yanked from ordinary Nigerians, into the hands of the leading data providers, supposedly in order to protect the start-ups! Meanwhile, the NCC cannot, in all conscience, vouch for the business acumen, ethics or practices of the supposed start-ups, neither are the big players and consumers complaining.

Another thing: Even within the big players, GLO's data rates are roughly one-third of MTN's, for example. So, why would the NCC want to tie GLO's hands and allow MTN to run away with more of the market share it (MTN) doesn't already control? For God's sake, an ISP should be allowed to compete as ethically as possible with the strategies and resources it has, as long as lawful taxes are paid as and when due.

Members of the current board of the NCC need to receive some common sense, especially when combined with economic sense, please.

P34c3

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by Turks: 6:03pm On Nov 30, 2016
Pity
Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by hisgrace090: 6:21pm On Nov 30, 2016
Their cup don full for trying to suffer Nigerians the more.
Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by dustmalik: 6:24pm On Nov 30, 2016
You can add ntel to the list

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by musicwriter(m): 7:27pm On Nov 30, 2016
The telecommunication companies are definitely behind the proposed price hike, not the NCC. The NCC is just being used because they have received huge bribe package.

You'll expect the EFCC and DSS to uncover how much bribe exchanged hands, but they're buzy working for politicians.

1 Like

Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by adonbilivit: 10:32pm On Nov 30, 2016
if you can't break even/make profit, close up! if you can't stand the heat, leave the kitchen.

6 Likes

Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by duwdu: 10:55pm On Nov 30, 2016
adonbilivit:
if you can't break even/make profit, close up! if you can't stand heat, leave the kitchen.

Well said.

Like some one said elsewhere, it's taken the major data providers — and indeed consumers — years of perseverance and investments in the system, for them to get to and operate at the level they're now at. You can't just tie their hands behind their backs, just to allow some dark horses, whose futures you can't predict, to "catch up."

P34c3

5 Likes

Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by Xxpress(m): 6:39am On Dec 01, 2016
NCC is protecting those two start up interest whereas they should be protecting the interest of the masses

1 Like

Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by Nbote(m): 6:56am On Dec 01, 2016
I don't think so.. I think d NCC is simply making flimsy excuses and using Smile and Spectranet for dat. This is because we all know these 2 ntwrks still don't have a nationwide coverage yet and are only operating in major cities and again they offer considerable data discounts and incentives on data compared to what these our usual ntwrks offer.. Dis same NCC initially denied before coming up with hopeless excuses. This is solely d handwork of d NCC on behalf of the govt but what dey didn't anticipate was the response from the public...
Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by romeoetin(m): 7:12am On Dec 01, 2016
musicwriter:
The telecommunication companies are definitely behind the proposed price hike, not the NCC. The NCC is just being used because they have received huge bribe package.

You'll expect the EFCC and DSS to uncover how much bribe exchanged hands, but they're buzy working for politicians.

Then why make data cheap just to increase it again

1 Like

Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by gmaribel(m): 7:17am On Dec 01, 2016
The way spectranet lady calls me almost crying asking me when will I resubscribe forced me to stop picking their calls. It makes no sense. For N2500 Glo gives me 10 gig of data that I can use nationwide. Why should I pay N3500 for 5gig that I can only use in certain places.

2 Likes

Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by samsam2019: 8:10am On Dec 01, 2016
gmaribel:
The way spectranet lady calls me almost crying asking me when will I resubscribe forced me to stop picking their calls. It makes no sense. For N2500 Glo gives me 10 gig of data that I can use nationwide. Why should I pay N3500 for 5gig that I can only use in certain places.
weyrey lon shey won angry
Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by kolaish(m): 9:30am On Dec 01, 2016
SouthWestBlood:

I was enjoying the 4G on Airtel until my phone screen broke completely and made me resume using Smile.

I disagree with you on the bolded words. I have been using smile since December last year and I normally spends an average of 12 hours on the net and it has been average of 250mb daily, except on occasion where I have to download a lot of things. But I agree that they are still on the high side in terms of charges on data.
Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by kiddie(m): 9:52am On Dec 01, 2016
kolaish:
I disagree with you on the bolded words. I have been using smile since December last year and I normally spends an average of 12 hours on the net and it has been average of 250mb daily, except on occasion where I have to download a lot of things. But I agree that they are still on the high side in terms of charges on data.
smile is probably the fastest network so spending 2gig in an hour is possible trust me....you probably limited your speed
Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by kolaish(m): 10:06am On Dec 01, 2016
kiddie:

smile is probably the fastest network so spending 2gig in an hour is possible trust me....you probably limited your speed
Though I am not disputing with you but since I have been using it, I have not limited my data usage. On the other hand, you may be right because there was a time in December that I discovered that about 500mb just went off my data in a single day. But for the whole of this year my data usage have been consistent.
Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by Nobody: 10:10am On Dec 01, 2016
And I am wondering how much they paid to NCC for the evil job
Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by SouthWestBlood(m): 10:17am On Dec 01, 2016
kolaish:

That's for your own PC. Recently, I reloaded my PC because I thought there were some sort of Malwares or Viruses eating up the data, and also made me install GlassWire to monitor my data usage.

The screen shot below is just for this morning, without downloading or streaming. What will it be by the end of the day?

Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by kolaish(m): 10:45am On Dec 01, 2016
SouthWestBlood:

That's for your own PC. Recently, I reloaded my PC because I thought there were some sort of Malwares or Viruses eating up the data, and also made me install GlassWire to monitor my data usage.

The screen shot below is just for this morning, without downloading or streaming. What will it be by the end of the day?
I will advice you visit one of the smile agents nearer to your location to lay a complain, it is rather absurd. My neighbour in our office complex also uses smile and his data usage is okay as well. I am on smile 10Gb (N9,000) and I hardly finished it in a month despite the fact that my wife still use it to browse on her phone when I am at home and on weekend.
Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by musicwriter(m): 10:59am On Dec 01, 2016
romeoetin:

Then why make data cheap just to increase it again

That's a good question!.

How I wish you understood what's going on, cause if you do you would've answered this question yourself.

Do not be fooled!!. It is the telecommunication companies that increased pricing and disguised as if its not them.

This is how and why......................

You have to understand data price plunged across all the networks due to competetion, and it was even heading to free data offers, if they didn't do something about it. If the telcos didn't come up with this elaborate plan, data prices would've crashed to the point some networks would've started offering free internet by Christmas. The telcos must have held secrete meetings where they warned each other that if the principles of free-market is allowed to continue, the data competetion would force them to begin offering free internet to Nigerians. So, they simply made a U-turn to suffocate free-market.

Believe it or not, this happened because the telcos do not want data prices to be anymore cheaper than it is now. The big 4 (MTN, GLO, Airtel, Etisalat) are panicing that if the "data wars" continue it would lead them to begin offering free data soon, while the small players (Spectranet, Smile, NTel) are panicing because competition will force them out of business. They therefore held a meeting to protect themselves, but the NCC must come in as the industry referee to guaranty the deal by making it official.

And this is why Noam Chomsky argues that capitalism is anti-people and that there's really nothing like free-market, because what he calls "the principal architects of policy" (in this case the telecommunication companies) control governments, and therefore, always lobby a goverment to create favourable policies for them all the time. That's exactly what's going on here.

3 Likes

Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by SouthWestBlood(m): 11:03am On Dec 01, 2016
kolaish:
I will advice you visit one of the smile agents nearer to your location to lay a complain, it is rather absurd. My neighbour in our office complex also uses smile and his data usage is okay as well. I am on smile 10Gb (N9,000) and I hardly finished it in a month despite the fact that my wife still use it to browse on her phone when I am at home and on weekend.

Ok, thanks.

Just in case you didn't know. There is a plan for 15GB (10,000). Just a thousand naira difference. wink

1 Like

Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by emmatosin: 11:14am On Dec 01, 2016
musicwriter:

God help us
Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by deor03(m): 12:24pm On Dec 01, 2016
SouthWestBlood:

Please be informed that your very Reliable source is actually very unreliable.

All these conspiracy theory is very unfair to these small operators, Nigerians live on rumor and we are too lazy to do basic checks.
Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by Atlantian: 12:27pm On Dec 01, 2016
Dont understanding what is going on here sef. I am on Smile Unlimited @ 19,800 per month, it doesnt cut off at all. So, is there any need for me to start calculating data usage ? Doesnt make sense.

What I think NCC should do is compel all ISPs, all of them, both small and big to offer unlimited monthly plans. Let the price wars be centered on unlimited monthly plan, while customer decide which ISP to subscribe to based on Speed of Streaming and Price margin for the unlimited plans. That is how it works in real countries with real legislation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by kiddie(m): 12:38pm On Dec 01, 2016
kolaish:

what are you saying....smile triples your data
Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by dustmalik: 12:42pm On Dec 01, 2016
kiddie:

What's the highest speed you have achieved on IDM using Smile?
Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by kiddie(m): 12:47pm On Dec 01, 2016
dustmalik:

What's the highest speed you have achieved on IDM using Smile?
uc browser upto 3mb-4mb
Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by dustmalik: 12:49pm On Dec 01, 2016
kiddie:

uc browser upto 3mb-4mb
Well, i wouldn't call that the fastest network. I do get up to 10MB/s on mtn 4G LTE.
Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by MrBONE2(m): 12:49pm On Dec 01, 2016
May Great One of KiVuKi Land Guwarad them forever to Oblivious Extinction just as it's been done to Our ancient Barawos grin

Gyar Gyarbon bonKa grin
Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by kolaish(m): 1:16pm On Dec 01, 2016
kiddie:

what are you saying....smile triples your data
Will I be lying and for what reason? I am an online trader, so I am always on the net.
Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by Nobody: 3:41pm On Dec 01, 2016
dustmalik:

Well, i wouldn't call that the fastest network. I do get up to 10MB/s on mtn 4G LTE.

Are you using mtn or glo 4G LTE?
Re: Just Incase You Didn't Know: Smile And Spectranet Are Behind Data Price Increase by wristbangle: 3:54pm On Dec 01, 2016
dustmalik:

U can't get such on MTN 4G LTE. GLO 4G LTE been the fastest becos of the band frequency peaks at 7.5MB/s while MTN peaks at 5MB/s

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Do You Mostly Use Phoenix Browser For? / Jumia Mobile Week Megathon – Biggest Mobile Sales Event Of 2015 : Begins Today / Dumping My Infinix Note 5 For The New Xiomi Note 8 Or Note 8 Pro Details Inside

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.