Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,927 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:37 AM

When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming (21228 Views)

BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe / Toke Makinwa's On Becoming E-book For Free For Five Nairalanders / A Dilation Of Toke Makinwa’s ‘on Becoming’ - Ibukunwrites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by BrutalJab: 7:40pm On Nov 30, 2016
Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by goingape1: 7:44pm On Nov 30, 2016
skarlett:

Source: http://pulse.ng/bloggers/pulse-blogger-when-the-other-woman-triumphs-a-literary-review-of-toke-makinwa-s-on-becoming-id5833018.html
just because your husband divorce you, you go write book undecided

who cause am? no be you!

open yansh for your husband you no go won open am! you go dey make useless excuses, you are tired, this and that, bla bla bla.

now another woman dey open yansh for your ex husband you dey here dey vex write book. undecided

NA ONLY MUMU GO READ YOUR BOOK. MAKE I JUST TELL YOU THE TRUTH NOW!

1 Like

Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by Nobody: 7:45pm On Nov 30, 2016
stan241:

Even though your signature has awon werey, was nice discussing with someone who didn't throw a fit at the first person to disagree with them

Lol, it was a pleasure to discuss with you too
Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by shamecurls(m): 7:46pm On Nov 30, 2016
Make Omotola or Mercy Johnson write a book on how they kept a happy family and stable home

.......No time reading about a broken home that never lasted 16 months

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by Nobody: 7:49pm On Nov 30, 2016
goingape1:
just because your husband divorce you, you go write book undecided

who cause am? no be you!
open yansh for your husband you no go won open am! you go dey make useless excuses, you are tired, this and that, bla bla bla.
now another woman dey open yansh for your ex husband you dey here dey vex write book. undecided
NA ONLY MUMU GO READ YOUR BOOK. MAKE I JUST TELL YOU THE TRUTH NOW!

LWKMD! Abeg take am easy o, no be me be Toke Makinwa
Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by babyfaceafrica: 7:53pm On Nov 30, 2016
Is that all?
Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by Lexusgs430: 7:53pm On Nov 30, 2016
Brymo:
sell the book to me, as if you are Toke, in three lines.

Toke gets dumped, Toke is very very bitter, Toke a relationship so called guru, that could not hold her relationship together, Toke's ex husband now has a son (a son Toke could not give him) & Toke is licking her wounds.....

NB : On my Samsung Note 8, it's only three lines (don't know how many lines on your device).......

5 Likes

Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by rose54321: 7:55pm On Nov 30, 2016
Well written, gives a brief but clear analysis of the book.

Say no to Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa and infact all MALE demons.

I am not taking her side o.
I am team neutral.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by Nobody: 7:56pm On Nov 30, 2016
What a boring book undecided
Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by iykedare(m): 7:58pm On Nov 30, 2016
Pity party for toke.
Why should I read a book written by someone who was married for few months?
Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by Brymo: 7:58pm On Nov 30, 2016
Lexusgs430:

Toke gets dumped, Toke is very very bitter, Toke a relationship so called guru, that could not hold her relationship together, Toke's ex husband now has a son (a son Toke could not give him) & Toke is licking her wounds.....

NB : On my Samsung Note 8, it's only three lines (don't know how many lines on your device).......
with the NB?
Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by Brymo: 8:00pm On Nov 30, 2016
bitingcool:

Player meets fall back girl.
I actually feel pity for Anita the most.
'cos he was and probably is still cheating on her too.
She's even more stuck than Toke. In love with a man who would never 'stay put' even if he has d deepest feelings for her (his pr.i.ck would agree otherwise)

Toke created the disaster, she should have walked away but then, the heart wants what it wants.

I'll give her a big hug when I see her. I admire the strength she has, Thhe bullsh.!t resiliency and the fact that she was truthful to herself. A broken relationship is never a one sided affair. You have to sink deep to acknowledge that fact

Good read actually. Captivating too. Money well spent I'd say.
dude, the book is less than a week old!
Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by Lexusgs430: 8:01pm On Nov 30, 2016
Brymo:
with the NB?

NB? Has Toke cast a spell on you already?
Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by sisisioge: 8:05pm On Nov 30, 2016
skarlett:

The truth remains she brought most of the problem on herself when she overlooked the important signs and that was a big sign of LSE (low self esteem) but at the end of the day, I'm happy she learned from it. And i agree with you, the story is really one sided. Maybe one of these days Maje and Anita will tell us their parts

Wetin Anita wan talk? She's the other woman biko!

1 Like

Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by ifyalways(f): 8:08pm On Nov 30, 2016
All this people dissecting shyte.

Toke would have taken Maje back, remained in that marriage IF only Maje disowned Anita's preggie or agreed to push Anita to have an abortion.

There's nothing to learn from her story or book. That book is a loser's comfort, Imo.

She just wanna make money. I cannot imagine the number of mumu girls who have lost out on great men because they were listening to Toke who was in reality chopping shyte from Maje but comes all out to form olori super girl.

Toke schemed, manipulated Maje into Marrying her. That one agreed to it because he is not man enough plus he wants to revive his dead career via her contacts. Anita has always being Maje's sweetheart. Toke knew that, Maje knew that. No victim.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by fammo: 8:10pm On Nov 30, 2016
Pls wen is d pirated e-copy coming online?
Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by Nobody: 8:12pm On Nov 30, 2016
sisisioge:

Wetin Anita wan talk? She's the other woman biko!

Who knows? maybe na Toke steal the man from am grin grin

Na joke I dey o

1 Like

Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by Nobody: 8:13pm On Nov 30, 2016
This lady is definitely not the best human on earth, but I think I have learnt some few lessons: love yourself enough to walk away from an abusive relationship whether physically or emotionally. And whether man or woman, be financially empowered, I wish her the best in life.

3 Likes

Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by muzzling17(f): 8:17pm On Nov 30, 2016
"The shame of failing at marriage brought what I imagine to be a rare form of pain. First, you have to deal with the shame that your lover exposed your life to someone else. Then there is the fact that you have failed at an institution that has existed since forever. Your beauty, degrees, job and everything else don’t earn you any points in this situation". (p. 83)

I love this part thou..got me thinking

5 Likes

Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by UjSizzle(f): 8:17pm On Nov 30, 2016
Never been a fan of (auto)biographies, and if I was to read one it sure as hell won't be about Toke's life.

Hope she makes a lot of money from this-- pays to be popular.

3 Likes

Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by passyhansome(m): 8:18pm On Nov 30, 2016
DarkRebel101:
cc: lalasticlala, mynd44, Obinnau

It's not imperative for a woman to make a marriage work. If a marriage isn't working, it isn't an automatic pointer to the failings of the woman as a wife. And if a woman has lost faith in the union and no longer believes the marriage is worth investing in – either due to [repeated] emotional and/or physical abuse – she should be able to extricate herself from the murky quagmire without fear of being tailed by the shadows of stigma.

[...]

This is brilliant work, Kelly. Your review deifies the book and has succeeded in making it mouth-watering. I wish I could read it soon; my crowded reading schedule however cannot allow for that.

I think Toke's story should be made into a Nollywood movie. It would be box-office!

1 Like

Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by helovesme(f): 8:19pm On Nov 30, 2016
ifyalways:

Toke would have taken Maje back, remained in that marriage IF only Maje disowned Anita's preggie or agreed to push Anita to have an abortion.

There's nothing to learn from her story or book.

mbaaaaa ify. she wont have. grin

the social backlash was tooooooooo much especially when they were spotted together.

besides, the whole mess was ruining her brand and costing her financially - remember she referred to the telecomms endorsement deal she lost. she just had to walk away as she way tooooooooooo much to lose staying with him.
Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by rachealfst(f): 8:23pm On Nov 30, 2016
fammo:
Pls wen is d pirated e-copy coming online?
Seriously! ROTFL
Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by femi4: 8:24pm On Nov 30, 2016
helovesme:
Finished reading the book at 3am this morning. grin

its a rather interesting book i must say.

. . . . . how she lost her parents in very tragic circumstances
. . . . the part where she wanted to take the largest TV in the house and that was all maje cared about grin
. . . . the part where anita told her point blank that her son was planned
. . . . .what about maje's planned press release to pulseTV
. . . . .maje's numerous girlfriends, lies and antics

sigh!!!

i think was really attracted her to maje from the very onset was his ''big boy'' status. He was British educated, his family owned a bank, he worked at the family's bank and his family had 'pedigree'.

i wish she had dwelt much more on her career, her fashion/style, etc.

overall, a very good book. i will rate it 7 out of 10.

Where can I download the cracked version
Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by Diplomaticbeing(m): 8:46pm On Nov 30, 2016
The appraiser tried a bit. Meanwhile, kudos to Toke for taken the bold step of walking out alive instead of committing suicide while in the union. Although, from all indications, she has never allowed the dude to walkout of her life completely... her continuous whining alludes to this. The lesson here's, never have anyone under your control through any form of shenanigans, because once the person emancipated, you will become a sore loser. As the saying goes "manipulators lose credibility diplomats gain it." She knew from the inception that the dude wasn't conscientiously with her. Neither of them were altruistic to themselves while it lasted.

On the other hand, through her action (walking out when it became the only better option left), I've seen someone who by action has validated my personal maverick stand that culture is not the way of the dead but rather the way the living do things unanimously. One who live life at the periphery of conventionalism really has little to lose in any battle.

Without mincing words, I have cause and reason to blame her and any other person that had been/is in a traumatic relationship. The reason for this is that, most people either by omission or commission do negates the importance of putting up with one that shares same ethical and moral personality with them. As I always say also, absence of peace doesn't only occur in time of war, a toxic relationship is an example.

Self-realization is very important. One who hasn't achieved a self-realization in life shouldn't hastily commit to another. Attitude is never a manifestation of attribute, because while the latter is innate the former can be faked or learned.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by obowunmi(m): 8:50pm On Nov 30, 2016
ifyalways:

There's nothing to learn from her story or book. That book is a loser's comfort, Imo.

She just wanna make money. I cannot imagine the number of mumu girls who have lost out on great men because they were listening to Toke who was in reality chopping shyte from Maje but comes all out to form olori super girl.

Toke schemed, manipulated Maje into Marrying her. That one agreed to it because he is not man enough plus he wants to revive his dead career via her contacts. Anita has always being Maje's sweetheart. Toke knew that, Maje knew that. No victim.

True talk.

1 Like

Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by obowunmi(m): 8:51pm On Nov 30, 2016
I don’t know why no one wants to believe that men can be broken.

Toke and Maje are two broken people.

Maje needs as much mental help as Toke. Two broken and mentally Ill people cannot be together.

4 Likes

Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by joseph1832(m): 9:02pm On Nov 30, 2016
I'm sure Toke's husband also has his own point of view. Where people make conclusions without hearing from both side and coming to a logical conclusion base on facts taken from both side is one sided, thus, it's bias.

Toke should learn a very big lesson, no matter what, you don't make your marital ish public knowledge.

3 Likes

Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by Amenphx: 9:06pm On Nov 30, 2016
skarlett:

Source: http://pulse.ng/bloggers/pulse-blogger-when-the-other-woman-triumphs-a-literary-review-of-toke-makinwa-s-on-becoming-id5833018.html
As you make your bed so shall you lie on it ooooo my sister, an African woman will not want carry a shame of "I marry before"

1 Like

Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by Nobody: 9:14pm On Nov 30, 2016
Amenphx:
As you make your bed so shall you lie on it ooooo my sister, an African woman will not want carry a shame of "I marry before"

Lol, the world is changing, marriage is not like it used to be before. If you end up with someone that is abusive, its best you quit before you're ruined

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming by Timbuktuo: 9:18pm On Nov 30, 2016
The capacity of humans for self-deception is quite sad. This girl has been popular for what? Her relationship advice blog is abysmal. Her brainpower is subpar, you only have to listen to her in the Morning Drive, or whatever it's called on Rhythm, to know she's daft. She's only popular now because of the sheer horde of daft, and westernised, young women we have now in our urban centres, mostly Lagos. She sort of represents the strong, independent woman that they crave to be, but is she really strong and independent? How has she made her money, cozying up to rich sugar daddies as has been whispered among her colleagues and neighbours? How strong is she when she's had this relationship with Maje and left out shame and not because of principle?

The fact that this book is popular is so unfortunate in its ramifications, I can't help but shake my head at the delusions our young women are subscribing to. Any woman who takes Toke seriously should take a long hard look at Toke, and see if she really is what she claims to be.

"Kiss a stranger. Have a one night stand." That's really all you need to know about Toke Makinwa.

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie: "It’s Almost As If We Have Forgotten How To Be Ashamed” / Enchanted (A Thriling Love Story) / The Man In The Church And Other Stories

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.