Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,555 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:23 PM

Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes (17242 Views)

Enter Here If You Are Trying To Quit Cigarettes / 8 Reasons To Stop Drinking Coke Every Day / Photo Of A Mother Smoking And Breastfeeding Her Baby At The Same Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by bumba1234: 1:27pm On Dec 01, 2016
Well..i will start with what worked for me...what i did was get involved in activities that will cut down on these excesses. You are not going stop all of a sudden but you will cut down and gradually stop. Register at a gym..or take long walks or jog..register for an exam..cut down on visiting your regular smoke or drinks spots. Change your bedsheets, pillow cases...drink a lot of water between, visit the dentist and clean your teeth. for a fresh start.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by sipsip(m): 1:28pm On Dec 01, 2016
What you should stop is the cigarette and drinking because they don't add anything to you. They don't help in your coordination, they wont help you think about taking steps to better yourself. When you get high on them, you tend to misbehave, but saying you stopped weed 2 years ago... why? What wrong has weed done to you? Guy... do well abeg.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by PaulIdu: 1:29pm On Dec 01, 2016
kingphilip:
Thanks for wanting a change.. It won't be an easy ride though but with strong will and determination you'll scurry through this phase too

You've dropped off some, have you taken the steps you took to see if it can work??

I've tried not engaging myself in some vices by telling myself until I've convinced my mind it isn't worth it..

You can actually start from it's written smokers are liable to die young.. I don't want to die young so cigarette stay away from me..

This works perfectly fine for me.. Try it out but if not I guess other people commenting later will likely give you tips too

I pray God will help you because most times the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak

Lalasticlala wide audience please for wider suggestions that will help this young man out

Op I had the same problem with you in the past ...don't laugh at what I want to tell no matter how illogical it sounds....please locate a mountain of fire ministry where they carry out deliverance and thank me later .

1 Like

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Dammyrosky(m): 1:29pm On Dec 01, 2016
Am so glad to hear that. It takes a strong determination and self discipline to overcome that. First of all, you have to allow Christ live in you. Get the full understanding of how harmful those stuffs are.(they are completely bad). After having that understanding, be determined in your heart that you will stop taking this harmful things and discipline yourself. The truth of it is that flesh will surely arise(you will feel like taking in those bad things), and you can't overcome flesh by yourself. you need God to help you overcome it through the Holy spirit. And you can only have the Holy Spirit(Who will lead, guide, direct you) by been born again(confessing your sins to God and believing and accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and saviour), pray concerning it, attend a living church and make friend with Godly people. God will surely hear you prayers, he is a good father. That is the bitter truth my brother. No one can change you except God, run to him now.....
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Nobody: 1:31pm On Dec 01, 2016
GeemarxWorld:
Help Needed To Stop Some Bad Habits

I will want to know what kind of help I can get to stop drinking and smoking cigarettes.

I actually started these bad habits while I was quite very young and now am almost 33. I use to drink so much of beer, smoke alot of cigarettes and weed as well. This got really bad when I traveled out of the country for studies and spent so many years out there. I think the weather and the fact that smoking is so normal there that even my lecturers and I do have chats together while smoking in the smoking area made me get so addicted.

Now I have completely stopped smoking weed for more than two years and I don't really take beer except once in a blue moon but the big problem is that I think though I left the frying pan, I am inside the fire because I smoke cigarettes like really bad and I am addicted to hot drinks like brandy or whisky. I cannot stay a day without these two and it's really annoying me.

I want to settle down now and start looking forward to marriage and a beautiful family life so I really want to do myself the favor of living a wealthy life for my wife and kids. I don't want to be an irresponsible husband and father so please I really need all the help I can get on how to stop this habits.

Please I will love to here from you all in this section especially the professionals if there are drugs or medications I can take to stop these habits.

Avoid anything related to smoking friends, events and even situations that trigger the need to smoke. Find something to occupy. Two years ago I used smoke a pack of cigarettes back in Mauritius because it was mad cold. When I came back I still smoked I can tell you that's it's been a year since I last smoked cigarette. However I just stopped the frequency and work got me too busy. Engage in some healthy engaging activity
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by dabrightt: 1:31pm On Dec 01, 2016
doctokwus:
Hope its not TB Joshua
Who are you to judge any man of God.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by dabrightt: 1:32pm On Dec 01, 2016
moonstone01:
sTART DRINKING LOTS OF GARRI WITHOU SUGAR OR FISH.
Are you drunk
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Maximus85(m): 1:34pm On Dec 01, 2016
herzern1:
*Accept JESUS CHRIST as your personal lord and saviour......

*Read the Word of God(Bible) anytime you are tempted to indulqe in such acts

*Talk to your pastor about it so he can help you with prayers and words of inspiration

#GodBless...

And this will help him? Smh
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by mu2sa2: 1:34pm On Dec 01, 2016
By admitting you have a problem, half of it is solved. You now focus on the remaining half. I will advise you withdraw gradually and with determination, consistency and discipline you will succeed. Start with cigarette: for a start smoke only at home, but keep only a few sticks and restrict yourself only to those. Gradually reduce the number you keep at home and later stop keeping any at all. This way I think is more realistic and will prevent a relapse. Give yourself a realistic time frame to ditch the habit for good. Do the same for alcohol. Once you have weaned yourself try to avoid places like clubs or bad company where you will be tempted to resume the habit, even for once. You can also try replacing bad with good. When you feel a crave for cigarette or drink do something worthwhile instead like taking healthy fruit juice or yoghurt, or even just listening to music. Good luck.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by dabrightt: 1:35pm On Dec 01, 2016
Lovemaester:
Currently am a smoker and I don't see any thing wrong wit it but if u want to stop I suggest u avoid places and friends dat might want to lure u
Hero that don't see anything wrong in young death(smoking)
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Nobody: 1:35pm On Dec 01, 2016
ammyluv2002:
Pastor ke? shocked shocked

Guy, you funny oh!

At the topic, just visit the hospital and ask them to show you the consequence of smoking and drinking. I mean, life consequences na you go just advice yourself asap.
grin grin

Yours is funnier
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Ebuka007: 1:37pm On Dec 01, 2016
pray alongside t.b jousha while watching Emmanuel.tv is on Gotv nd Dstv or u tube nd thank me later
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Reasoning(m): 1:38pm On Dec 01, 2016
herzern1:

*Talk to your pastor about it so he can help you with prayers and words of inspiration

#GodBless...

[color=#990000][/color] an if he gat fear of GOD in him den let him do dis: place a curse on him self dat if he do nt stop smooking let a plaque be upon him. Dat fear of plaque will make him to stop.. And a vow should be honored more especially wen GOD is involved. Him wan die?
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by omonnakoda: 1:38pm On Dec 01, 2016
You shouldn't have stopped smoking weed that was a huge mistake. Restart the weed and stop ciagrettes ASAP
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by giddy10(m): 1:41pm On Dec 01, 2016
It all starts with knowing that you needed to stop these 'bad' habit. Well you didnot state your religion (yes it matters) anyway, it is said that birds of same feather flocks together, if you really desire this change in your life, then you must separate from friends that indulge in this act and to help you better, you must befriend those that don't indulge in this act and WILL be happy to see you CHANGE. Futhermore, am not in any way claiming that am Holy-er Than thee, but i would love to guide you in a way where we could have a sincere daily report system (maybe via facebook, whatapp or any convenient social media) for probably a month. That way you will be challenge to work hard; it is adding value to the process (what you don't value you can't get the virtue therein). My contact is 08023278405.
God bless you Sir.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Nobody: 1:41pm On Dec 01, 2016
There are two types of people in this world, those who can do anything they want to, and those who can do nothing unless it is given to them on a platter. Be the first.

Forget about the advices on 'stopping gradually', or avoiding 'smoker' friends, or not going to places of 'temptation' and all that nonsense. It does not work. The only way to stop is to just stop. Make a promise to yourself that no cigarette or alcohol is going through your lips, and keep your promise. Finish. Nothing else works. And remember that a relapsed smoker finds it more difficult to stop after multiple attempts, so get it right the first time, or leave the attempt until you are convinced that you really want to stop.

PS, I am speaking from experience, I went from 3 packs a day to zero in 60 seconds. There was also no type of drink I did not put in my mouth, you name it. And today, I am a complete non smoker, and tee totaller. As far as I know, the day, date, and time are still written on the wall of my room in the dorm, years and years ago.

It's your call, and yours alone.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by claremont(m): 1:43pm On Dec 01, 2016
Just to point out that drinking and smoking is not a measure of responsibility or otherwise. There are loads of people who do both (including myself), and we certainly don't consider ourselves irresponsible. I live outside Nigeria anyway, away from all the judgemental mofos in Nigeria.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Omojolaray(m): 1:49pm On Dec 01, 2016
Use to smoke my ass off with codeine syrup and weed with different tablets.... I was that drug boy buh Only through Christ I was able abstain. To stop you have to abstain from sin and accept christ as your savior honestly that's the only way. Cause when you tell people you have accepted christ, all negative people around you will run away from you its not them buh the devil in them......
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by mu2sa2: 1:49pm On Dec 01, 2016
Farmerforlife:
There are two types of people in this world, those who can do anything they want to, and those who can do nothing unless it is given to them on a platter. Be the first.

Forget about the advices on 'stopping gradually', or avoiding 'smoker' friends, or not going to places of 'temptation' and all that nonsense. It does not work. The only way to stop is to just stop. Make a promise to yourself that no cigarette or alcohol is going through your lips, and keep your promise. Finish. Nothing else works. And remember that a relapsed smoker finds it more difficult to stop after multiple attempts, so get it right the first time, or leave the attempt until you are convinced that you really want to stop.

PS, I am speaking from experience, I went from 3 packs a day to zero in 60 seconds. There was also no type of drink I did not put in my mouth, you name it. And today, I am a complete non smoker, and tee totaller. As far as I know, the day, date, and time are still written on the wall of my room in the dorm, years and years ago.

It's your call, and yours alone.
The "gradual" approach isn't out of place and infact may be the most realistic option for those who don't have your kind of determination.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by doctokwus: 1:54pm On Dec 01, 2016
dabrightt:
Who are you to judge any man of God.
Who made any one of them "man of god"?
Where u there when God so proclaimed any one of them?
Since u werent and there is no such evidence,u do not av a say in this matter.The only true men of God were evidently so proclaimed in the bible,any other person,except the Pope,head of the Anglican and Baptist churches and their personally ordained officers,is subject of debate.
Obviously true men of God dont obviously indulge in many of the false things some in Nigeria do.
Av u ever heard the pope,head of anglican or Baptist churches come out to give a prophesy or indulge in the public charade of d drama of healing a sick person with a 1 minute prayer and touch of d body?
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by ModestGal(f): 1:55pm On Dec 01, 2016
As some have said, there's a stage where addiction can be controlled and when it cannot be controlled,when a smoker or a drinker is in the first and second stage it can still be stoped by the sufferer,when the individual enters the dependence stage,stoping is almost not possible.Thier maybe withdrawal symptoms if the individual cant have the drugs to take in time,This withdrawal symptoms is one of the reasons that drug abusers will do anything to get the drug,cx without the drug,he will be sick.The individuals brain has already seen the drug as part of the persons system,sudden withdrawal may lead to death. I still dont knw when we Africans will grow, what does pastors and clerics have to do with this? This is purely a psychological problem, a mental health problem.
My AdVICE
Stop going to clubs if you do before
Hang out with religious friends that see smoking and drinking very irritating and such you may develop shame, and the shame may help in strengthning your desire to stop the drugs
See a psychologist that is in such field
Make friends with people that will love to see you stop smoking, Friends that will be there for you, you can start with your mum
Theres a group online you may join,cant remember the name right now
Try to do what we call Elimination by Substitution,This is when you look for something less health h to replace more health disastrous habit.Some people use Tomtom,start by reducing your cigarettes sticks,for instance you take 10sticks perday before,now take five cigarettes sticks and five or more Tomtoms.
For more tips,nd better advic,pls pm me, nd let me help you more the little I can.Thanks
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Nobody: 1:56pm On Dec 01, 2016
[quote author=tibro post=51541703][/quote]

You should locate the nearest Buddist temple. The budda will bless and baptise you.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by mzoly(f): 2:00pm On Dec 01, 2016
izzou:
Eiyahh, I wish I could help.

Maa go back to my ultimate cycler. 3rd alert today no be beans.
The site has been down since... Whats up with that....abi e don fold?
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by princeaja(m): 2:05pm On Dec 01, 2016
Only you can decide to quit no one else can do it for you. Just think of when you will be up to 50yrs old when you are supposed to be enjoying your money u will be spending that money on hospital bills. With this in mind it help you quit. No amount of pastor prayers can help u quit but only u can advice yourself and quit
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Healthgwr: 2:05pm On Dec 01, 2016
[b]BELL PRODUCTS STOP SMOKE WILL BE OF HELP BELL Healthy LIFESTYLES CHRONIC DISEASE RELIEF. WHY DIE IN SILENCE. You can maintain good health and treat all Chronic DISEASE with BELL PRODUCTS. OVER 60 CANADIAN PRODUCTS THAT REALLY WORK

Bell products will take care of ………………….

[/b]The products have been of great help to all serious medical challenges. Read more of various testimonies with their phone numbers of those who have been benefited from ……….. Everyday, we receive amazing testimonials about our product efficacy. Testimonies stream in from Doctors, Pharmacists, other health Personnels, distributors, and in fact from everyone! All forms of chronic ailments bow at the feet of Bell Lifestyle products. Hundreds of Thousands of people have been helped!

Sixty three pages of various testimonies mostly Nigerian

and their phone numbers who had various serious health challenges before click the link bellow.

To order call Akin now +2348051400850 +2347031998888

Or 08051400850 07031998888

For more information, inbox me or visit

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByZ2hSToNNZ-ZXhTU3hySThUQlE/view?usp=sharing

15 years ago, I started having arthritis, prostate, kidney, snoring and sleep problems.

All were helped quickly with natural health products with no dide effects. I made it my life’s purpose to help others.

This is what happened to me personally after suffering for years. I spent $2,000 on pills, creams, physiotherapy, acupuncture, magnetic devices etc. No relief until I took specially processed shark cartilage for two weeks and all pain was gone.

It’s rewarding to be useful to your own family. It’s still more rewarding to contribute to society and serve a cause greater than yourself. There can be no greater satisfaction than when men and women write that after suffering for many years with chronic diseases, they were amazed about the quick relief they had with Bell natural health products. I feel grateful to have opportunity to help others and give purpose to my life. Chronic diseases account for half of all personal health expenses and tax payers’ money spent by government on health matters. Late in life at 65, I discovered that natural health products could help me passionally to overcome health problems I suffered with every day for over 10 years without getting relief with synthetic drugs. My own health problems gave me the insight and put me into this position to help other people everywhere in North America and around the world.

We are proud to have helped hundreds of thousands of men and women to restore their quality of life since 1996

What makes Bell products different from many others in the market is the fact that we give an extremely high satisfaction rate and A Must Help or Money Refunded guarantee on most of our products. Nick A Jerch (President Bell Lifestyle Canada Incorporated) A professor in medicine based in Canada who had about six terminal ailments (diabetes, kidney problem, hypertension, over weight, prostrate disorders, arthritis, his manhood gone) before he discovered Bell products many years ago. …….

“For the past 50 years I have been demonstrating that the use of natural nutritional treatment is and must be the most effective form of medicine and that when it is not used and the profession depends solely on the use of toxic drugs the results are abysmal” Dr Abram Hoffer, MD PhD FRCP ©

As a Company, our commitment is to provide you with the best satisfying and financially rewarding Service. As a Doctorate Research Pharmacist with over 30 years of experience, I have come to the conclusion that for Chronic Disease, the use of Natural Nutritional. Supplement is the most effective medicine with minimal or no side effects compared to toxic convectional drugs. (Managing Director and CEO, Bell Lifestyle Nigeria Limited Dr. Theo Anucha, BPharm, PhD, MPSN

Bell products will take care of ………………….

The products have been of great help to all serious medical challenges. Read more of various testimonies with their phone numbers of those who have been benefited from ………..

Everyday, we receive amazing testimonials about our product efficacy. Testimonies stream in from Doctors, Pharmacists, other health Personnels, distributors, and in fact from everyone! All forms of chronic ailments bow at the feet of Bell Lifestyle products. Hundreds of Thousands of people have been helped!

To order call Akin now +2348051400850 +2347031998888 or

08051400850 07031998888

For more information, visit

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByZ2hSToNNZ-ZXhTU3hySThUQlE/view?usp=sharing

kingphilip:
Thanks for wanting a change.. It won't be an easy ride though but with strong will and determination you'll scurry through this phase too

You've dropped off some, have you taken the steps you took to see if it can work??

I've tried not engaging myself in some vices by telling myself until I've convinced my mind it isn't worth it..

You can actually start from it's written smokers are liable to die young.. I don't want to die young so cigarette stay away from me..

This works perfectly fine for me.. Try it out but if not I guess other people commenting later will likely give you tips too

I pray God will help you because most times the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak

Lalasticlala wide audience please for wider suggestions that will help this young man out
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by ubergold(m): 2:12pm On Dec 01, 2016
Congratulations bro. You have passed the first level which is realising that it's a habit you need to stop. Now the next step is to take action. I would have recommended a counselor but in our society right here our pastor already plays that role. So talk to your pastor. Tell all your friends that you want to stop so that they can assist you in any way possible. Then lastly, attend mountain of fire deliverance program. Yes I said it. I don't attend the church but I attended their deliverance program by recommendation and I was able to overcome a very nasty habit I felt I will grow old and die with. Now I am free. You will be free too by God's Grace

1 Like

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by fakati(m): 2:12pm On Dec 01, 2016
Friend it's a good decision to leave bad habits most especially smoking your determination will help you a lot in this good luck.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by wiloy2k8(m): 2:16pm On Dec 01, 2016
Not easy but u gaz try .
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by buffalowings: 2:22pm On Dec 01, 2016
herzern1:

#GodBless...

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by thatcbnguy(m): 2:26pm On Dec 01, 2016
Sup bro,
I hope the little i will post here would help out a bit.

1) u need to b mentally prepared... I see u are, that's why it bothers you. But its going to require more than just your mind. You will have to exercise the strongest self discipline you have ever have to exercise.

2) dont be too hard on yourself because in all honesty, since you are a chronic addict, it would take you a very long while to be fully unaddicted.. A year, 2 years, few months, etc (this will depend on your self discount & mind as mentioned above).

3) cigarette is tobacco and contains nicotine which is very very very addictive.... Unlike weed (thats why it wqs easier for you to quite weed). Now due to the nicotine addiction, you are advised not to just stop abruptly as this would lead to withdrawal symptoms in you body system which could be dangerous to your health or might result to a positive feedback mechanism that you end up making you more addicted than you were before. You could start by reducing the number of sticks you usually take per day.. (lets say if in a day u are liable to 10sticks, try making it 8 or 7sticks). Continue like that.... Maybe you keep reducing the number of sticks after 3weeks or a month (3 weeks should be the minimum as this is the proposed average amount of time that a habit is formed) but remember it still depends on self description & mindset. However, dont be too hard on your self

4) study your smoking pattern & habit.... So you could understand how to channel the inner energy pr impulse that leads you to smoke into something positive (eg, when you have reduced the amount of sticks to maybe 4, the urges to smoke more than that four would be there and its goin to be a really really strong urge, so you have to channel that urge to something positive that u like doin... Maybe be writing short notes on how you feeling with the urge and how you are fighting it... You could always read these short notes at the end of everyweek to see the progress you made over the week and also serves as an encouragement to keep fighting. Or you could channel that urge anytime it comes to exercising eg push up, crunches, skipping, stretches joggin, football, basketball, swimming, depending on the one you love and the environment you are in.

5) one other effective way to quickly remove nicotine from your system (because it is the presence of that nicotine that keeps you addicted) is to go and register at a sauna(a place whr they do massages with hot air, hot water, etc....) the sauna will make you sweat and through the sweating, the nicotine escapes your body system.... You could also engage in exercises that makes you sweat profusely (running, football, basketball, skipping, etc) for the same effect too.

6) try and neutralise the stagnant smell of cigarette on your clothes and room or anything relating to you because perceiving them through your clothes alone will trigger your urges which may hamper your progress from the chains of addiction. Also avoid places where you may perceive cigarettes smokes (eg bars, clubs, etc) as this will surely lead you back into temptation)

I wish i could keep going in but my fingers are tired from punching my phone screens... You could reach m on twitter though at @thatcbnguy . Send me a DM there so we cud continue. But if you can keep up with the above 6 points then in more or less a year, you should be a free man.

Godspeed bro!!!
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by higherpower: 2:27pm On Dec 01, 2016
Just stop it! It's as simple as that. I have stopped going to sit outs or joint because of the rate at which ppl smokes. U can control any thing in this life.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by ajensly1987(m): 2:28pm On Dec 01, 2016
i was in the bondage of drinking, but i had never try smooking, what i deed is dat i gave my life to christ and everything in me became new. I stop visiting drinking places and keep away from peers, was very determine to stop, until i dont even think about alcohol. Recently i attend an occassion i was so bored, was tempted to take a bottle of beer, i fell sick for 2 weeks. I promise i will never try it. Just pray to God to help u and adhere to other advices.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Who Impregnated A Mad Woman In Katsina, Detained By Police / Hiv/aids Cure - How The West Deceives Nigeria – Jacob Abdulahi / Body Of The First Victim Of Ebola Virus In Nigeria Cremated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.