Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,246 members, 7,807,834 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:18 PM

Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes (17236 Views)

Enter Here If You Are Trying To Quit Cigarettes / 8 Reasons To Stop Drinking Coke Every Day / Photo Of A Mother Smoking And Breastfeeding Her Baby At The Same Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by xtivin(m): 5:21pm On Dec 01, 2016
It's easy bro, just research what the withdrawal symptoms are then treat them after a month you should be free depending on how long you've been into smoking sha, there are over the counter drugs to help you out but you have to take it as directed to avoid addiction again.I think a Google search would do.have it at the back of your mind that it's worth it and be focused. God help you
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Olaoriginal(m): 5:24pm On Dec 01, 2016
GeemarxWorld:
Help Needed To Stop Some Bad Habits

I will want to know what kind of help I can get to stop drinking and smoking cigarettes.

I actually started these bad habits while I was quite very young and now am almost 33. I use to drink so much of beer, smoke alot of cigarettes and weed as well. This got really bad when I traveled out of the country for studies and spent so many years out there. I think the weather and the fact that smoking is so normal there that even my lecturers and I do have chats together while smoking in the smoking area made me get so addicted.

Now I have completely stopped smoking weed for more than two years and I don't really take beer except once in a blue moon but the big problem is that I think though I left the frying pan, I am inside the fire because I smoke cigarettes like really bad and I am addicted to hot drinks like brandy or whisky. I cannot stay a day without these two and it's really annoying me.

I want to settle down now and start looking forward to marriage and a beautiful family life so I really want to do myself the favor of living a wealthy life for my wife and kids. I don't want to be an irresponsible husband and father so please I really need all the help I can get on how to stop this habits.

Please I will love to here from you all in this section especially the professionals if there are drugs or medications I can take to stop these habits.

U have taken the first step which is determination. it's not going to be an easy ride, u know? But it's never impossible!
Here's my take, u need replacement for what endeared u to such habits. Also, u need to have a mean to counter hangover symptoms.
There's this nutritional supplements that help u with both hangover symptoms and naturally increase your energy. It will also take care of damages u may have incurred. I will be glad to talk about it, please WhatsApp me with 0902543390.

1 Like

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by YOLO1(m): 5:24pm On Dec 01, 2016
herzern1:
*Accept JESUS CHRIST as your personal lord and saviour......

*Read the Word of God(Bible) anytime you are tempted to indulqe in such acts

*Talk to your pastor about it so he can help you with prayers and words of inspiration

#GodBless...

Guy. You too mumu I swear. Why must you relate Jesus to every thing man faces. Ordinary psychological advice and counseling will solve this and not religion

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Nobody: 6:42pm On Dec 01, 2016
Wao. I like this. This is really a story of grâce. Bro, i v just seen u quit all those stuffs and Côme out a clean and better man just for thé détermination and courage of voicing It out. Continue in that struggle to quit by adding a little more effort with sôme good pièce already suggested hère and dont forget to put It into prayers. If u have a good partner who really loves u, pls open up to her so that she can help a great deal. A problem shared is one solved. Congrats!
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by God2man(m): 6:47pm On Dec 01, 2016
Try fasting and prayer. A serious seven days dry fast and deliverance prayers will give a deadly blow to these habits.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Nobody: 6:54pm On Dec 01, 2016
GeemarxWorld:
Help Needed To Stop Some Bad Habits

I will want to know what kind of help I can get to stop drinking and smoking cigarettes.

I actually started these bad habits while I was quite very young and now am almost 33. I use to drink so much of beer, smoke alot of cigarettes and weed as well. This got really bad when I traveled out of the country for studies and spent so many years out there. I think the weather and the fact that smoking is so normal there that even my lecturers and I do have chats together while smoking in the smoking area made me get so addicted.

Now I have completely stopped smoking weed for more than two years and I don't really take beer except once in a blue moon but the big problem is that I think though I left the frying pan, I am inside the fire because I smoke cigarettes like really bad and I am addicted to hot drinks like brandy or whisky. I cannot stay a day without these two and it's really annoying me.

I want to settle down now and start looking forward to marriage and a beautiful family life so I really want to do myself the favor of living a wealthy life for my wife and kids. I don't want to be an irresponsible husband and father so please I really need all the help I can get on how to stop this habits.

Please I will love to here from you all in this section especially the professionals if there are drugs or medications I can take to stop these habits.

Thee first step is identifying the problem which you have done, the next step is eradicating the problem which I will offer a bit of advice on.

I used to be a chronic smoker so I can relate with most of what you have written, however the difference was that because I had to be at work all day I didn't usually smoke during the day, only in the evenings when I left work, trust me that didn't stop me from doing almost a packet everyday.

Forget what anyone tells u about weaning, it doesn't work. Your best approach to stopping is to going cold turkey if u can, list the negative effects smoking has on you as opposed to non smoking, that way you will be able to see that smoking is spiralling ur health into deterioration, that way u will have a need to stop it.

Also do not hang out with smokers during ur resolution period and also throw away all your smoking materials from cig packs, lighters anything that reminds u of smoking, it won't be easy at first, but u will have to be determined, determination will eventually pay off. But expect sleepless nights and crazy cravings, if u can surpass all this you will be fine.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by YeyeGirl(f): 7:11pm On Dec 01, 2016
Turks:
It's all about conviction. The temptation would be massive but then you can overcome if you want to. Go around with a bottle of water everywhere you go.

Also, Dont try quitting abruptly. It has to be gradual..
Y can't he quit abruptly dear?? wah wud happen?
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by YeyeGirl(f): 7:15pm On Dec 01, 2016
sapiosexual1:

Yes my friend, you actually stop these bad habits, let me tell you how :
> Realising that a problem exists is half way to solving the problem. That you have done already
> Determination to succeed is the first step to success. I'm glad you have already taken the first step
> As per the cigarette, you prolly would have already entered a stage of dependence and so sudden withdrawal may not be advisable due to side effects of nicotine withdrawal. I advise you have a mental determination to cut down on the number of sticks per day, then per week etc. If you take 5sticks per day, tell yourself you wanna take only 3........after a week, cut down to two, then one then off.
> Stay away from peers and negative social influence who may pressure you to smoke or drink
> There is something called a nicotine patch or gum, it's very helpful for stoppage of smoking. Very helpful.
Lastly, how do you fancy your lungs and liver looking this way in 10-15yrs time?
Wah are d signs of nicotine withdrawal symptoms?
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by YeyeGirl(f): 7:15pm On Dec 01, 2016
sapiosexual1:

> Realising that a problem exists is half way to solving the problem. That you have done already
> Determination to succeed is the first step to success. I'm glad you have already taken the first step
> As per the cigarette, you prolly would have already entered a stage of dependence and so sudden withdrawal may not be advisable due to side effects of nicotine withdrawal. I advise you have a mental determination to cut down on the number of sticks per day, then per week etc. If you take 5sticks per day, tell yourself you wanna take only 3........after a week, cut down to two, then one then off.
> Stay away from peers and negative social influence who may pressure you to smoke or drink
> There is something called a nicotine patch or gum, it's very helpful for stoppage of smoking. Very helpful.
Lastly, how do you fancy your lungs and liver looking this way in 10-15yrs time?
Wah are d signs of nicotine withdrawal symptoms dear?
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by idesylvester(m): 7:24pm On Dec 01, 2016
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]its very easy Na... Just stop smooking by stoping it... angry
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by idesylvester(m): 7:24pm On Dec 01, 2016
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]its very easy na angry
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] angry
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by idesylvester(m): 7:26pm On Dec 01, 2016
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]its very easy Na... Just stop smooking by stoping it... angry
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by YeyeGirl(f): 7:32pm On Dec 01, 2016
ModestGal:
As some have said, there's a stage where addiction can be controlled and when it cannot be controlled,when a smoker or a drinker is in the first and second stage it can still be stoped by the sufferer,when the individual enters the dependence stage,stoping is almost not possible.Thier maybe withdrawal symptoms if the individual cant have the drugs to take in time,This withdrawal symptoms is one of the reasons that drug abusers will do anything to get the drug,cx without the drug,he will be sick.The individuals brain has already seen the drug as part of the persons system,sudden withdrawal may lead to death. I still dont knw when we Africans will grow, what does pastors and clerics have to do with this? This is purely a psychological problem, a mental health problem.
My AdVICE
Stop going to clubs if you do before
Hang out with religious friends that see smoking and drinking very irritating and such you may develop shame, and the shame may help in strengthning your desire to stop the drugs
See a psychologist that is in such field
Make friends with people that will love to see you stop smoking, Friends that will be there for you, you can start with your mum
Theres a group online you may join,cant remember the name right now
Try to do what we call Elimination by Substitution,This is when you look for something less health h to replace more health disastrous habit.Some people use Tomtom,start by reducing your cigarettes sticks,for instance you take 10sticks perday before,now take five cigarettes sticks and five or more Tomtoms.
For more tips,nd better advic,pls pm me, nd let me help you more the little I can.Thanks
wah are d withdrawal symptoms of quitting suddenly dear?
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by sped1oro(m): 7:57pm On Dec 01, 2016
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by mykelly(m): 7:59pm On Dec 01, 2016
The easiest way for you is to move away from those circle of friends you smoke and drink with. If you can do this your issue is almost solved
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by kally90(f): 7:59pm On Dec 01, 2016
It's very good that you are motivated to stop.I will advice you to go for a rehabilitation. Inbox me if you are ready to change. I also work in such center.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Nobody: 8:00pm On Dec 01, 2016
YeyeGirl:
Wah are d signs of nicotine withdrawal symptoms dear?
Well, they include but not limited to difficulty concentrating, nervousness, headaches, weight gain due to increased appetite, decreased heart rate, difficulty in sleeping (insomnia) ,highly irritable , depression. These symptoms are more pronounced in the first few days but eventually disappear within a month.
Supportive care can be given to ameliorate these symptoms such that the person goes through a seamless transition
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Codes151(m): 8:19pm On Dec 01, 2016
U want to stop then just start to stop
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by sonofthunder: 8:49pm On Dec 01, 2016
Jesus... only Jesus can save

1 Like

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by kunletech: 8:50pm On Dec 01, 2016
in a week, always do 2 or 1 day prayer and fasting.
at list , one hour speaking in tongue. you will not only stop it, you will also grow spiritually.
some one used this method to overcame masturbation.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Aarenasbaba(m): 9:51pm On Dec 01, 2016
My friend brother doesn't smoke but he drinks and party with friends. Sometimes he goes out with his 1st kid who wl b 4years by December 8. Just 3 days ago, he saw a cigarette and picked it up. He says "menthol and Segun always do like this" ( holding d cigarette like a grade 1 smoker) if u don't stop d smoking for d sake of yourself, stop it for d sake of ur unborn babe....
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by UmecheMoses(m): 10:05pm On Dec 01, 2016
Vizzim:

Ur a doctor sir.. Why not give him the answers so we can all learn.
I treat cases confidentially... Thanks.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by YeyeGirl(f): 10:20pm On Dec 01, 2016
sapiosexual1:

Well, they include but not limited to difficulty concentrating, nervousness, headaches, weight gain due to increased appetite, decreased heart rate, difficulty in sleeping (insomnia) ,highly irritable , depression. These symptoms are more pronounced in the first few days but eventually disappear within a month.
Supportive care can be given to ameliorate these symptoms such that the person goes through a seamless transition
hmm.. Got a friend who's experiencing such.. He do get scared a lot and hallucinates too..he also pee& make use of d toilet a lot too.. he's on drugs tho... most times he spit on his body without even knowing it... His ppl are thinking its a spiritual issue.. Tho he was told tz withdrawal symptoms... Will he be aii.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by sirfee(m): 11:53pm On Dec 01, 2016
sapiosexual1:

Op this is the best advice for you.I stop smoking last year because of the pressure coming from my family,friends and my boss.I did almost everything this writer suggested except the nicotine patch or gum.The most important thing for you right now is to stay away from your bad friends(co smokers),pray always and have a solid mental determination.Cultivate the habit of drinking soda water e.g Nirvana soda water etc.Make sure you are always happy no matter what you are going through and shun excessive thinking and anger.May God help us all in this struggle#Smokers are liable to die young#No to smoking#No to drug abuse

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by TheEminentLaity: 5:00am On Dec 02, 2016
Great!!! I will share steps of the life changing steps of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) - You should try them - that I found in a book (Steps of Transformation) I am reading and it would do you good to adhere to them.

"The story of the first members of AA is so intriguing that it deserves closer attention. It all started to get better from the condition of alcoholism that was destroying them. Having been abandoned to their fate by the medical profession, and tolerated at best by those who loved them most, these men adopted a course of action which is not only allowed them to stop drinking (one day at a time), but also allowed them to grow spiritually, and to regain something of the dignity and purpose of life of which their illness had robbed them.

One of the men, known in the world of recovery as "Bill W" wrote down the basic pattern of what they had done. Actually, by the time he wrote the story down, the two men had been joined in recovery by a good number of others, both men and women, all whom had, at one time or another been written off by the rest of the world as hopeless alcoholics.

In examining what Bill W. wrote, there are some surprises. Anyone who expects to find a list of ways to stop drinking is going to be very disappointed. This is how the program appears in "How it Works" Chapter 5 of AA.
Here are the steps we took, which are a suggested program of recovery:

1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol--that our lives had become unmanageable

2. Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God
as we understood Him

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

6. We are entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure or others.

10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God
as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Nobody: 6:37am On Dec 02, 2016
YeyeGirl:
hmm.. Got a friend who's experiencing such.. He do get scared a lot and hallucinates too..he also pee& make use of d toilet a lot too.. he's on drugs tho... most times he spit on his body without even knowing it... His ppl are thinking its a spiritual issue.. Tho he was told tz withdrawal symptoms... Will he be aii.
Is it just the nicotine he is withdrawing from? Those symptoms are more in keeping with withdrawal from other substances like alcohol and hard drugs.
Yes he would be ok, with proper care
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by jeffronald19(m): 6:38am On Dec 02, 2016
Get rid of all addictive substances in the house.
Trash anything that reminds you of smoking or drinking.
Avoid places where people smoke or drink.
Take a break from people who regularly drink/smoke.
Avoid high risk situations.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Nobody: 6:47am On Dec 02, 2016
YeyeGirl:
Do you know him inside out? Would wanna probe further on his condition. We could talk out of the forum.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Nobody: 7:18am On Dec 02, 2016
kunletech:
in a week, always do 2 or 1 day prayer and fasting.
at list , one hour speaking in tongue. you will not only stop it, you will also grow spiritually.
some one used this method to overcame masturbation.
My brother, without trying to demean or discolour your post, masturbation and smoking/drinking are worlds apart.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Toofan007: 7:21am On Dec 02, 2016
In my experience reasons for quiting varies. But, don't try to quit on any special occasion like, new year day, your birthday or the like this brings added pressure. I don't even have the date i finally stopped, all i know it was 2007, that is after hundreds of New Year resolutions that didn't work. Why i tend to gravitate towards it being the grace of God, at least in my own case. Good luck.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Nobody: 7:23am On Dec 02, 2016
Nigerians and prayers are like pap and akara, how we manage to paint every situation in religious colours is beyond me. That's why our pastors are the richest in per capita income while ardent church goers are the poorest in standard of living.
If another poster comes here to say he just got HIV, someone would still advocate 21days dry fasting.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Who Impregnated A Mad Woman In Katsina, Detained By Police / Hiv/aids Cure - How The West Deceives Nigeria – Jacob Abdulahi / Body Of The First Victim Of Ebola Virus In Nigeria Cremated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.