Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,872 members, 7,806,487 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:11 PM

The Challenges Of Not Being A Pastor's Child - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Challenges Of Not Being A Pastor's Child (701 Views)

Living With My Aunt Who Is A Pastor's Wife Is Hell. Should I Run Away? / I Impregnated A Pastor's Daughter, We Rushed The Wedding / The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Challenges Of Not Being A Pastor's Child by SHOPPERS(m): 3:20am On Dec 01, 2016
I read that post from one of those over celebrated and "expected-to-function-perfectly-regardless-of-parental-input" kids who sometimes make everyone believe all they deserve by being given birth to by "men of God" is pity and imperfection. I can't but wonder why this issue is still being repeated over and over again. I am not here to make you see the challenges of not being born from your type of parents per se but to help you understand that you guys are still damn so lucky. You are just so lazy to put to good use what privileges you have by right of birth.

One of the main reasons why you see from this blinding curtain of "people expect so much from us and our parents give us so little" mindset is because of how the society has highly magnified the office and position of your parents and how they have made you believe that it is written on your foreheads that your Dad or Mum is a Pastor or a man of God. Is it a crime for your parents to have chosen the paths they are on now because they wanted to raise children? Most of the challenges you guys do claim you face are faced on a higher level by children of parents of other professions and yet we do not find them lazying about telling tales of how "challenging" it is to be a child to their parents because of their chosen profession.

Let me start by getting your mind on the simple fact that your counterparts; Imams' and other Islamic Clerics' children do not complain as much as you do. Yet they are faced sometimes with even worse situations. Do your parents beat hell out of you just to force you to learn one particular chapter of the Bible? Do they make sure you attend Bible study everyday after school and you must still top the Bible study class. Or maybe your own parents because they are Pastors are forcing you to learn Greek or Hebrew o as to understand the Bible better.

If you are thinking you grew up with Pressure either to be academically sound or morally upright, ask someone who was brought up by a Teacher or better still a Professor.

Oh, you were talking about some people expecting you to be like your Dad. Ask a Doctor's child what profession he or she is most times automatically expected to take on. You had better not be dull in school or you will have people looking at you with that eye of "this one must be cursed". You also said something about Career choice too. Hmmmm, ask Lawyers' kids if they can become a Pastor. Their parents' "God forbid!" will sound better than your Dad's, trust me.

Sometimes too, you guys complain of your parents neglecting you and not giving you time. Haha, Haba. Do you have friends whose parents are both working in a bank? You can try and meet children from other families who only get to see their Dads only once or twice in a year like me due to the forever away nature of their jobs.

Now, let us face the real thing

You guys enjoy certain privileges in church all because your parents are the ones in charge.

1. Learning instruments: Yes, as easy as it seems, it is quite easier for a pastor's kid to start learning how to play instruments right from a tender age. If you are not a pastor's and you get near some churches' drums ehn... Hmmm. Na so those drummers go dey eye you as if you are there to destroy the drums but who dare do that to a pastor's kid.

2. Insubordination: You people are mostly disobedient both in church and elsewhere because people do not want to discipline you simply because you are "omo pastor". We fear anointing by birth so much that we allow your lives to go undisciplined. You guys better get a grip.

3. General special treatment: This should encompass all what I need to say. You are unfairly treated specially even sometimes better than those older than you by those who by virtue of position are lesser than your parents but may by virtue of both position and age be higher than you. Sunday school teacher dare not punish you for any reason. The ushers especially ensures your caucus in church do not need to be questioned while you roam about during service. While the rest of us are to remain seated till the end of the service.

4. Closeness to a Spiritual resource: Though many of you blatantly refuse to take advantage of this or give excuses of neglect, it is still there. Your Dad prays for people, he teaches people, he counsels people but you have so much taken Him for granted that you do not even think of reaching out to him for assistance spiritually. You can learn how to grow spiritually from your Godly parents easily; do so.

5. Availability of useful Christian literature and materials: I know of a Pastor with so many books in his room but his kids will prefer to take on cloths, wristwatches, shoes and other stuffs from his room and leave that. We do not have that luxury. What books we read, we need to either buy or borrow. Your own parents have it all.

6. Time: Whereas you complain of your parents not giving you time, I believe such are good times for personal development.

These are some sweet but often ignored benefits of being a Pastor's kid. It's a bed dear Makydebbie, not a flower-bed. It's made of foam not roses. Yet it is comfortable. And as you lay your bed.......

You guys better wake up and grow up. You are normal kids regardless of your parent's profession. Your life is yours and solely you are responsible for it. Don't live a life of pain and hatred because you want to get back at a man who is simply living His for God.

2 Likes

Re: The Challenges Of Not Being A Pastor's Child by Nobody: 3:30am On Dec 01, 2016
Re: The Challenges Of Not Being A Pastor's Child by globalkay(m): 3:38am On Dec 01, 2016
Hmmm you can never miss service Lol... Its good tho expecially resident pastors kids
Re: The Challenges Of Not Being A Pastor's Child by kingphilip(m): 5:08am On Dec 01, 2016
This is elaborate and eye opening.. Therock5555 come look
Re: The Challenges Of Not Being A Pastor's Child by veronicababy: 5:14am On Dec 01, 2016
Counter thread ; shocked shocked

Meanwhile check my signature

(1) (Reply)

#question: Would You Love To Be Blessed With Male Quadruplets? / People Think He Is Rich Because He Spend On Them But His Son Is Starving / 64 Year Old Woman Gives Birth To Twins (CNN)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.