Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,058 members, 7,807,185 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:48 AM

Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job (14410 Views)

Adeyemo Akintunde, US-Based Military Colonel Advises Nigerians / Akintunde Akinwande Rejects Buhari's NERC Chairman Appointment / Buhari Nominates Akintunde Ibitayo Akinwande For NERC Chair, Drops Shasore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by DAVECENA(m): 4:22am On Dec 01, 2016
ABUJA— AGAIN, President Muhammadu Buhari’s nominee for the position of chairman of the Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), Professor Akintunde Akinwande, yesterday failed to present himself for Senate screening.

For the second time in one month, the nominee shunned the Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe-led committee on Power, Steel Development and Metallurgy.

The committee had, last month, invited Akinwande and other nominees for screening, but the screening was put on hold due to failure of Akinwande to appear, just as he failed to fill all the columns where he ought to have provided his needed information for the committee.
But in a swift reaction, the Presidency denied the reports, saying Akinwande was simply trying to formalise his resignation from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) where he works.

But at a second screening session convened yesterday by Senator Eyinnaya Abaribe and other members of the committee, Akinwande was not just absent, but informally told the committee that he was not available for the job.

A source in the committee disclosed that Akinwande sent a text message to a member of the committee that he was not interested in the job.

Senior Special Assistant to the President on National Assembly Matters (Senate), Senator Ita Enang, who tried to persuade the committee not to interprete Akinwande’s absence to mean that he had declined the President’s nomination, said: “I would want to plead with the committee that the nominee was simply absent. I will communicate with the President and get more information about him and get back.”

This remark was quickly rebuffed by members of the committee, who openly declared that they had tried enough and would not be ready to reconvene a third screening session for Akinwande.

At this point, a member of the committee, Senator Suleiman Hunkuyi (APC, Kaduna North) who threw a question at Ita Enang, querried: “But if somebody says I will not be able to make it, what does he imply?”
Apparently confused about the development, Enang could not respond to Hunkuyi’s question.

Meanwhile, the committee has disclosed that it would prepare its final report and submit to the Senate which will take final decision on Akinwande’s nomination.
According to a source, Akinwande turned down the nomination “because he was not consulted before the nomination was made and was not ready to leave his present businesses to take up the job.”

Nominee calls for thorough monitoring of DISCOs
Meanwhile, Sanusi Garba, the Vice Chairmanship nominee from Katsina State during the screening, yesterday, lampooned the power sector, saying to say it was in bad shape was simply an understatement, even as he said that deficit revenue in the sector was approaching one trillion Naira.

According to him, the sector is that bad because it lacks a good regulator, promising that the new board, when put in place, would right the wrongs, adding that Electricity Distribution Companies, DISCOs, went into agreement to run the sector, but noted that because of lack of proper supervision, they had failed to function properly.

He said it had become imperative for the sector to be overhauled, if Nigeria must attract foreign investors.
Others who appeared for the screening were Nathan Rogers Shatti; Professor Frank Okafor; Musiliu Olalekan Oseni and Dafe Akpeneye, among others.

source:
www.vanguardngr.com/2016/12/buharis-nominee-akinwande-shuns-senates-screening-nerc-job/

Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by Kyllahmc(m): 4:26am On Dec 01, 2016
No matter how intelligent you are if you keep associating with a dullard you will also be regarded as a dullard in no time.

4 Likes

Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by truthspeaks: 4:27am On Dec 01, 2016
Dem no fit find anoda person? Or d man doesn't want to associate himself wit anythn abt d current govt?

18 Likes

Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by Atiku2019: 4:28am On Dec 01, 2016
Professor Akintunde Akinwande a man who doesn't want to taint his reputation with Incompetence........ Buhari never listens to his Advisers unless from his Uncle Mamman Daura or Babachir Lawal wink

Sir, surely your services will be needed in 2019 under a good Democratic Leader.

#Atiku2019

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by DAVECENA(m): 4:31am On Dec 01, 2016
So much controversies since this man was nominated for the top job.Baba should let him go biko.....
Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by Nobody: 4:35am On Dec 01, 2016
Why would i leave a fulfilling career at MIT only to come work for a directionless government filled with quacks and a head honcho who'd rather hire 70 lawyers than just simply show us his O'level cert? You damn right, makes no sense.

87 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by odogwubiafra: 4:42am On Dec 01, 2016
Success will always have an extended family, while FAILURE has no brother. No reasonable technocrat will want to associate himself with a man globally known as a failure.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by blackpanda: 5:00am On Dec 01, 2016
Gone r the days wen people lobby heavily and share ghana must go bags just to secure nomination. Change is truly here at last! grin

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by kettle84(m): 5:29am On Dec 01, 2016
blackpanda:
Gone r the days wen people lobby heavily and share ghana must go bags just to secure nomination. Change is truly here at last! grin
change is here because Buhari takes all the money to himself alone.

yeye change.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by blackpanda: 5:32am On Dec 01, 2016
kettle84:
change is here because Buhari takes all the money to himself alone.

yeye change.

Loool....eyah. Don't let d pains eat u all up cheesy grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by ElectronicsGuy(m): 5:44am On Dec 01, 2016
Could it be as a result of emptiness of the brain?

For your generator power booster, call me.

For those using prepaid meter, it helps by reducing power consumption when using heating elements in half.

You can now use your pressing iron and other heating elements on your small generator.

Check my signature for my contact

Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by ElectronicsGuy(m): 5:45am On Dec 01, 2016
Lalasticlala
Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by Jafar1: 6:12am On Dec 01, 2016
out of topic,
pls i want to know where are the money buari seized?, who use them? who are saving them?

2 Likes

Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by Nobody: 6:38am On Dec 01, 2016
His business. Next junction please
Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by Boleyndynasty2(f): 6:41am On Dec 01, 2016
grin undecided
Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by richidinho(m): 6:46am On Dec 01, 2016
Lol... Will you want to serve under this mess of a govt?

4 Likes

Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by baybeeboi: 6:46am On Dec 01, 2016
Na only Kemi adeosun i pity for this Government.

Person innocent woman just come enter bad government .

After 2019, am sure not even a micro finance bank would employ her.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by permsec: 6:54am On Dec 01, 2016
Fipa!
Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by legendarystar: 7:07am On Dec 01, 2016
lols, I don't blame the man, this government us just a hog wash, confused, lacks direction or foresight. we inia long thing till 2019

3 Likes

Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by herzern1(m): 7:38am On Dec 01, 2016

Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by Atiku2019: 7:39am On Dec 01, 2016
OluKayy:
Why would i leave a fulfilling career at MIT only to come work for a directionless government filled with quacks and a head honcho who'd rather hire 70 lawyers than just simply show us his O'level cert? You damn right, makes no sense.

Bros take am easy Na grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by gungab(m): 7:39am On Dec 01, 2016
nice development
Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by Atiku2019: 7:41am On Dec 01, 2016
baybeeboi:
Na only Kemi adeosun i pity for this Government.

Person innocent woman just come enter bad government .

After 2019, am sure not even a micro finance bank would employ her.

Lol Haba, Sincerely she's an Intelligent woman under an Incompetent Government... cry

3 Likes

Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by Atiku2019: 7:42am On Dec 01, 2016
richidinho:
Lol... Will you want to serve under this mess of a govt?

What if Buhari appoints you as the Minister for Youth and Development? wink

2 Likes

Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by jejemanito: 7:42am On Dec 01, 2016
grin
Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by SuperBlack: 7:43am On Dec 01, 2016
Please can't i be allowed to replace the candidate?
Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by Nobody: 7:44am On Dec 01, 2016
That's a man with conscience. I see Osinbajo resigning very soon
Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by iyobs7(f): 7:44am On Dec 01, 2016
Leave MIT for what? Ha is your brain paining you?

19 Likes

Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by Nobody: 7:46am On Dec 01, 2016
SuperBlack:
Please can't i be allowed to replace the candidate?

No. They need suleiman Abdullahi now

Atiku2019:

What if Buhari appoints you as the Minister for Youth and Development? wink
To man that ministry you need to be dumber than Daulung

Jafar1:
out of topic,
pls i want to know where are the money buari seized?, who use them? who are saving them?
It Seems you want DSS to break your door on the first day of Xmas

1 Like

Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by gurunlocker: 7:46am On Dec 01, 2016
Does the President just nominate without consultation? what a dullard!

2 Likes

Re: Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job by HAH: 7:47am On Dec 01, 2016
Does this mean he wasn't consulted before appointment?

Buhari should know that there should be offer and acceptance before any appointment.

If truly this guy has decided not to take the job offered is an embarrassment ot this government, same thing happened with some ambassadorial nominees.

Learn from your mistakes Buhari.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ebonyi Govt To Establish Airport, Distributes 39 Keke Ambulances / Senate Begins Probe Into Oil Subsidy Payments In Buhari’s Government / Hadizatu Mustapha Appointed Registrar Of Supreme Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.