Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,709 members, 7,802,145 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:48 AM

Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road (11815 Views)

Lagos Commissions Ojodu Berger Pedestrian Bridge As It Wears New Look / PHOTOS: Gov Ikpeazu Commissions Obo-ogu Events And Health Centre / High Court Sacks Okezie Ikpeazu From Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by Ponponkon: 1:52pm On Dec 01, 2016
Governor Ikpeazu has commissioned the Owerenta/ Egbelu Mbutu road in Isiala Ngwa South LGA.

The Governor used the occasion to flag off the construction of 170km rural roads across the 17 LGAs in Abia State. Each LGA in Abia will get 10km making it 170kms for the 17 LGAs. It is expected that the phase of rural road construction will be completed before 2019.

Here is Prayer of Mobutu Amairinaisii to the Governor of Abia State, Dr Okezie Ikpeazu during the commissioning of their road today:
"Our dear Governor, in the journey so far, inspite of the various distractions and unending court litigations (where Victor has remained victorious) you have been fair to all manner of people in Abia State with your massive road network construction and rehabilitation as well as provision of other amenities, you have been specially good to us, we shall not cease to be grateful to you and your generation to come such as we remember the late Late Chief Paul Omerenyiya Ururuka today. We urged you to remain focused for the battle is not yours, but of the Lord, for you are the man the present time demand, ride on you man of destiny. We wish you God's protection as you commission this road for the service to humanity and to the glory of God."

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by Ponponkon: 1:55pm On Dec 01, 2016
More

1 Like

Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by Ponponkon: 2:00pm On Dec 01, 2016
lalasticlala you dey feel us? See Abia First babe

Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by afanide: 2:05pm On Dec 01, 2016
Nice one.... He should also work on that Arochukwu road please....

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by Ponponkon: 2:14pm On Dec 01, 2016
afanide:
Nice one.... He should also work on that Arochukwu road please....
Serious work has commenced in Arochukwu road

5 Likes

Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by afanide: 2:57pm On Dec 01, 2016
Ponponkon:

Are you serious shocked that is very good.....

4 Likes

Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by Adelaide2: 3:37pm On Dec 01, 2016
Speaking about rural roads, this is one that Okezie should also attend to. It connects towns/villages in Ikwuano with most LGAs is Ngwaland, including Aba as well as neighboring Akwa Ibom State

Photo album: A collection of recent (2015) images showing the decrepit state of the bridge that provides access to Aba from Nchara and neighboring communities. Despite the bleak nature of their environment, hopeful youths could be seen in the photos laundering with the river water and jumping off what is left of the bridge in fun diving-swimming sessions.

2 Likes

Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by Adelaide2: 3:40pm On Dec 01, 2016
^^^^^^^

The bridge to somewhere: a plea for government attention for Nchara

Nchara in Perspective: Nchara is a rural community in the Oloko group of autonomous communities, Ikwuano Local Government Area, Abia State. Nchara is comprised of two sister villages, Akanu and Otoro, with an estimated combined population of about 20,000 inhabitants. Due to its location, Nchara has for centuries stood at the cross-road to different parts of Igboland and non-Igboland alike, being bounded in the north by Ohuhu Nsulu (an Ngwa community); in the west by Usaka Eleogu (an Ikwuano community) and Amachi Nsulu (an Ngwa community); in the east by Obeohia Okike (an Ikwuano communities), and in the South by several Annang-speaking communities of Akwa Ibom State.
The history of Nchara has been one of mixed events, with high and low episodes occurring at different times. Notable events such as the Aba women’s riot of 1929 share a history with Nchara. One of the main leaders of the Aba women’s riot, madam Ikonna Nwanyiukwu Enyia, who was originally from Oloko village, was married into an Nchara family. In fact, but for the distortion of history by the then powers that be, the story of ‘‘Aba women’s riot’’ should have been that of ‘‘Oloko women’s riot’’. Nchara had also produced at different times the paramount Ezes (namely Eze Otutubuike and Eze Pipi) of Oloko clan, comprising nine autonomous villages. Furthermore, one of the earliest foreign-trained university graduates of Ikwuano, late Sir Onyeonoro Arungwa, was from Nchara; Sir Arungwa also was the first indigenous principal of Wilcox Memorial Comprehensive Secondary School Aba. Despite these lofty achievements however, unfortunate, albeit infrequent, communal clashes with Annang neighbors over land ownership have also marred the otherwise impeccable history of Nchara.

Socio-economic and infrastructure dynamics of Nchara: Like all of her neighbors, Nchara is an agrarian community producing staple food and commercial crops such as cassava, oil palm, yams, vegetables, plantains, and fruits that include oranges, bananas and pears. In addition, goats, sheep and chicken can be seen either in family pens or grazing about in the rusty scenery. While these different produce feed the people, substantial portions of them are sold in both local markets in the community, and in neighboring and far-flung communities such as Amachi-Nsulu, Usaka-Umuofo, Nenu, Ndoro-Oboro, Umunkpeyi, Ndiolumbe, and Ariam. Also, notable among these markets is ‘‘Ahia Uzo’’, so named because of its situation on a road leading directly to one of the Annang communities to the south, as well as other Annang markets such as those in Nto Edino and Nto Ekpe. This makes Nchara both an agrarian and a commodity marketing community.
By the fact of its location in Ikwuano, Nchara is only about 22 kilometers from the seat of the government of Abia State in Umuahia. As such, one would expect Nchara to be a nice, livable, even if rural, suburb of Umuahia Township. But alas, for a village with such historical pedigree, Nchara has been developmentally slow, almost abandoned. For example, electricity came to Nchara for the first time in 2009; initial efforts to acquire electricity were driven by ordinary villagers, before the government came to the rescue. Also, portable water supply, which was only installed recently, has been sporadic. Even though a community water tank constructed by the NDDC is conspicuously located in a corner of the community, actual water provision from it is off and on. Until its installation, most inhabitants sourced all of their drinking water from the village river; a river that separates them from some of their neighbors to the west and south. The purpose of this article is to bring to the attention of Abia State and Ikwuano LGA governments the condition of the bridge connecting Nchara with its neighbors, and by extension, with Aba the commercial nerve center of Abia State. The anticipation for writing this article is that this bridge would be reconstructed.

The bridge to somewhere: As indicated, access to and from Nchara through the river was enabled by a bailey bridge. The bridge served very strategic roles. Notably, the bridge provided access to thousands of hectares of arable farmland across the river, enabling farmers to produce their crops and to move their farm produce back home for processing. Also, it was through it that market people transported their produce to the numerous out-of-town markets in Ngwa land, from where such produce find their way to Aba. Furthermore, the bridge provided rapid access to the Old Aba road through Umunkpeyi, cutting the transit time for alternate routes such as having to first get to Umuahia en-route Aba. This bridge had in 1979 collapsed under the weight of a truck that was transporting cement to a construction site in a neighboring village. Thankfully, it was reconstructed and completed around 1982 by the then government of Chief Sam Mbakwe of old Imo State.
Since then, due to poor maintenance culture, the bridge and its access roads have become death traps. For more than 10 years now, the bridge has been in a crumbled state (see photos), with rusty metal parts and rotting wooden planks hanging precariously in places. The state of the bridge has made it unusable for vehicular, bicycler, and pedestrian traffics; unwary pedestrians have been known to mis-step into the broken planks and plunging headlong into the river. Fortunately, no casualties have been recorded. However, the state of the bridge has caused untold economic hardship for Nchara villagers, as farming, trading and social activities that require crossing the bridge on daily basis have all been considerably hampered. The disused state of the bridge due to its current condition has also led to the abandonment of the access road, resulting in it being nearly overgrown by plants.

A plea for government attention: Igbo people are renowned for performing community self help projects, in many instances, taking on projects that otherwise are the responsibility of the government. It was in that spirit that then Imo State citizens, including those of Nchara, contributed and built the Imo airport at Owerri, during the regime of Sam Mbakwe. Several times in the past, both the bridge and access roads have been worked on, to limited degrees, by community self-help. In that same light, prior to the 2015/2016 Christmas/New Year celebrations, the main street across Nchara, which had become very impassable, was rehabilitated by a good-hearted private citizen, Mr. Uche Dimkpa. This gesture enabled citizens and visitors alike to enjoy some bit of road access during the celebrations. By the next rainy season, this modest effort would have been undermined by the elements and by inadequate maintenance efforts. At this time, the financial implications of reconstructing the bridge is beyond what Nchara people can bear on their own; hence, the need to alert the government to come to their rescue.

On this note, the people of Nchara are bringing the condition of the bridge and surrounding roads to the attention of both the Abia State and Ikwuano LGA governments. Nchara people have noted with admiration the great and commendable work of the present Abia State government in building roads and infrastructures in different communities. In that spirit, they are asking, as tax payers and bonafide citizens of the state, that a concrete bridge and road reconstruction be implemented for them as dividends of democracy, similar to what is being done for other communities in the State. The inhabitants of Nchara herewith reiterate that they deserve to enjoy the most basic of infrastructural developments, such as roads and bridges that any government should provide its citizens. Undoubtedly, rebuilding the bridge and fixing the access roads would help to ease the burden of commuters who now have to pass through Umuahia Township or Akwa Ibom State, to get to Aba. Moreover, it would help to restore commercial and agricultural activities in the area. Such activities are ever more important in these days of fallen crude oil prices and the need to diversify economic activities for not only Nigeria as a country, but also for Abia State. It is hoped that 2016 ushers in a new lease of life for Abia State, and Nigeria, so that rural communities such as Nchara will get the much desired and deserved development from the responsible tiers of government, and with that contribute their quota in driving the local and regional economies.

2 Likes

Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by Adelaide2: 3:41pm On Dec 01, 2016
^^^^^
Copied from Facebook
Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by Adelaide2: 5:59pm On Dec 01, 2016
Ponponkon:

And others?
Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by Johnnyessence(m): 6:50pm On Dec 01, 2016
Good job from abia state governor. This is what d abians need. Build schools and build roads for them. Provide jobs for them.

2 Likes

Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by Benedict44(m): 6:59pm On Dec 01, 2016
Sometimes i wonder what this man uses abia money to do . Oweing worker many months. Teachers have not been paid since june , same with local govt and so many other ministries . Even judiciary that have separate allocation , all he is doing is to destablize them so as not to pay them . Judiciary is been owed for over 4 months which T.A orji did not do. Is it on road project , atleast aba owerri road will tell you what you need to know. This man has failed and i regret voting for him .A state that can boost of high IGR yet nothing to show for it . What Abia generates from aba is enough make aba a world class city yet nothing to show for it .
Is it on employment , how many jobs have this man created ? none. Is it on infrastructure , he had done nothing . I can't see any tangible thing that this man uses abia money to do .
OP it is not about defending this man , it is about understanding what you are defending because when the purpose of a thing is not known , abuse is inevitable . Tell your governor that he has failed in all aspects .

7 Likes

Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by Unimaginable123: 7:10pm On Dec 01, 2016
Okorocha nko?

2 Likes

Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by Ponponkon: 7:27pm On Dec 01, 2016
Adelaide2:
Speaking about rural roads, this is one that Okezie should also attend to. It connects towns/villages in Ikwuano with most LGAs is Ngwaland, including Aba as well as neighboring Akwa Ibom State

Photo album: A collection of recent (2015) images showing the decrepit state of the bridge that provides access to Aba from Nchara and neighboring communities. Despite the bleak nature of their environment, hopeful youths could be seen in the photos laundering with the river water and jumping off what is left of the bridge in fun diving-swimming sessions.
Thank you very much Sir. I as an Abia citizen feels the pain also. The road in question is well known to me as it links Williams memorial college oloko. Be rest assured that I shall do whatever I can within my power to get the attention of the Honourable commissioner of works and the governor. Every Abian is aware that Dr Ikpeazu started almost at square one in this state.
Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by ChilledPill: 8:29pm On Dec 01, 2016
[s]
Benedict44:
Sometimes i wonder what this man uses abia money to do . Oweing worker many months. Teachers have not been paid since june , same with local govt and so many other ministries . Even judiciary that have separate allocation , all he is doing is to destablize them so as not to pay them . Judiciary is been owed for over 4 months which T.A orji did not do. Is it on road project , atleast aba owerri road will tell you what you need to know. This man has failed and i regret voting for him .A state that can boost of high IGR yet nothing to show for it . What Abia generates from aba is enough make aba a world class city yet nothing to show for it
Is it on employment , how many jobsreated ? none. Is it on infrastructure , he had done nothing . I can't see any tangible thing that this man uses abia money to do .
OP it is not about defending this man , it is about understanding what you are defending beca
[/s]
Stop yabbing mouth and make a reasonable sense.

4 Likes

Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by spectroscopic: 8:36pm On Dec 01, 2016
Ponponkon:
Thank you very much Sir. I as an Abia citizen feels the pain also. The road in question is well known to me as it links Williams memorial college oloko. Be rest assured that I shall do whatever I can within my power to get the attention of the Honourable commissioner of works and the governor. Every Abian is aware that Dr Ikpeazu started almost at square one in this state.

For your information: The Nchara road is not the Oloko one that links Williams Memorial College. This one is in Nchara, linking to Umumkpeyi via Amachi Nsulu. Just send the commissioner the article he will know the location or ask questions. Would you like to follow up with me on this road matter?
Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by Ponponkon: 9:04pm On Dec 01, 2016
spectroscopic:

For your information: The Nchara road is not the Oloko one that links Williams Memorial College. This one is in Nchara, linking to Umumkpeyi via Amachi Nsulu. Just send the commissioner the article he will know the location or ask questions. Would you like to follow up with me on this road matter?
Oh my bad,I thought is the one that connects Ikenna Umuode Nsula via Ikputu. Let's see how thing will go by next year. Be rest assured that I will personal make a case for this road.But bear it in mind that I am not the one that "calls the shot"

1 Like

Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by Johnnyessence(m): 10:53pm On Dec 01, 2016
Benedict44:
Sometimes i wonder what this man uses abia money to do . Oweing worker many months. Teachers have not been paid since june , same with local govt and so many other ministries . Even judiciary that have separate allocation , all he is doing is to destablize them so as not to pay them . Judiciary is been owed for over 4 months which T.A orji did not do. Is it on road project , atleast aba owerri road will tell you what you need to know. This man has failed and i regret voting for him .A state that can boost of high IGR yet nothing to show for it . What Abia generates from aba is enough make aba a world class city yet nothing to show for it .
Is it on employment , how many jobs have this man created ? none. Is it on infrastructure , he had done nothing . I can't see any tangible thing that this man uses abia money to do .
OP it is not about defending this man , it is about understanding what you are defending because when the purpose of a thing is not known , abuse is inevitable . Tell your governor that he has failed in all aspects .
nice reply here. U are really speaking based on what's on ground. Post pictures of the affected places ok. If to protest about non payment of salaries kindly inform the union leaders. At least he's collecting fg allocation.
Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by Ponponkon: 9:06am On Dec 02, 2016
ChilledPill:
[s][/s] Stop yabbing mouth and make a reasonable sense.
The guy is a bornfool
Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by Ponponkon: 1:03pm On Dec 02, 2016
Unimaginable123:
Okorocha nko?
Okorocha is Imo state Governor not Abia state . lalasticlala is aware
Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by Earth2Metahuman: 4:23pm On Dec 02, 2016
No Be crack be that?

I give that road 2 years, it will be worse than before.
Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by henrydadon(m): 4:23pm On Dec 02, 2016
nice one..some people will still come here and criticize him

4 Likes

Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by delait: 4:34pm On Dec 02, 2016
Kudos! To Abia Governor
Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by Chukazu: 4:36pm On Dec 02, 2016
Benedict44:

busy commissioning "highly ineffective substandard roads"

1 Like

Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by delait: 4:42pm On Dec 02, 2016
Our Dear Governor please help us to work on the road that connects Agburuke Nsulu to Apumiri Ubakala. This Road also connects Agburuke to Nbawsi,if this road becomes accessible it will help rural farmers within that environs to transport farm products to Umuahia town.

3 Likes

Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by kechywillz(m): 4:42pm On Dec 02, 2016
I go still dey yell dey go,construct roads in ABA first,thats the business hub of Abia State,it needs a facelift

1 Like

Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by Nobody: 4:56pm On Dec 02, 2016
Ponponkon:
Oh my bad,I thought is the one that connects Ikenna Umuode Nsula via Ikputu. Let's see how thing will go by next year. Be rest assured that I will personal make a case for this road.But bear it in mind that I am not the one that "calls the shot"
No vex ooo....but forensically speaking it seems you actually call the s***ts.. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by olusledge: 5:01pm On Dec 02, 2016
Benedict44:
MR man go and die
Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by NgwaManNaija4LF(m): 5:16pm On Dec 02, 2016
We want him to commission Mbawsi-Obikabia road. Anyway kudos for the good brothers and sisters from Ngwa South.[
Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by Nobody: 5:22pm On Dec 02, 2016
henrydadon:
nice one..some people will still come here and criticize him

If only Nigeria had more of this type of ...... as citizens.............

1 Like

Re: Ikpeazu Commissions Owerrinta Egbelu Mbutu Road by bayoadeyanju: 5:36pm On Dec 02, 2016
Ponponkon:

Arochukwu road is a Federal Government road done by Fashola and not by the State Government.
It is one of the roads where funds were allocated in the 2016 budget.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rivers Rerun: Magnus Abe Casts His Vote (Photos) / Alex Ikwechegh Joins Ikpeazu To Celebrate 29th Anniversary / Hushpuppi dey learn see Nnamdi Kanu flexing his life PHOTOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.