Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,995 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat (42927 Views)

Adama Barrow Sworn In As The Gambian President / Adama Barrow Wearing Arsenal Jersey (Photos) / Son Of Adama Barrow Killed By Dog (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by aprokomania(m): 2:07pm On Dec 02, 2016
A Former Argos security guard from North London is set to become the president of Gambia in an unprecedented upset for president Yahya Jammeh who had pledged to rule for a billion years.

President Jammeh, who has ruled the tiny West African nation for 22 years since he staged a coup, conceded defeat to opposition leader Adama Barrow, the chairman of the electoral commission on Friday morning.
"It's really unique that someone who has been ruling this country for so long has accepted defeat," Alieu Momar Njie told reporters.

Gambian state television told AFP that the 51-year-old head of state, who seized power in a coup in 1994, would make a statement later in the day to congratulate Barrow.

Jammeh was running for a fifth term with his Alliance for Patriotic Reorientation and Construction (APRC), while Barrow ran for eight political groups who united for the first time to field a single candidate.
Barrow, a previously unknown businessman, once worked as a security guard at Argos on Holloway Road, North London.

On Thursday, after voting with his wife in the capital, Banjul, President Jammeh predicted a decisive win.
"This will be the biggest landslide in the history of the country," he said, but Barrow correctly predicted Gambians were ready for change after more than 20 years of the Jammeh regime.

"He is not going to be re-elected - his era is finished," Barrow said.

Jammeh came to power in a coup in 1994 and then swept elections in 1996, 2001, 2006 and 2011 after a 2002 constitutional amendment removed presidential term limits.

Critics say those elections were not free and fair and accused his regime of corruption and flagrant human rights abuses.

The president's supporters praised his efforts to boost economic development in the small country that is dependent on tourism and agriculture.
More than 880,000 voters were registered to participate at more than 1,400 polling stations, where they were asked to place a marble in either a green, silver or purple drum depending upon their choice.
The African Union sent a handful of observers to this country of 1.9 million but there are no observers from the European Union or the West African regional bloc ECOWAS because the Gambian government did not grant them accreditation.
Jammeh said before the vote that he would not allow even peaceful demonstrations, dismissing them as "loopholes that are used to destabilise African governments."
In a statement Thursday, rights groups criticised the circumstances under which the vote took place, especially the cutting of internet services and international calls.

All internet services were blocked at about 8 pm Wednesday night, while messaging services such as Whatsapp and Viber were blocked weeks before the vote, Human Rights Watch said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/02/gambian-president-yahya-jammeh-concedes-defeat-22-years-rule/

2 Likes

Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by aprokomania(m): 2:08pm On Dec 02, 2016
this is the shocker of the century to me. I never expected him to even conduct elections with opposition candidates, not to talk of conceding defeat.

checkout latest events on
www.hoomadeit.com

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by TippyTop(m): 2:10pm On Dec 02, 2016
Dr Jonathan set the precedence, kudos to the hero of democracy.

173 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by jabberjawz: 2:13pm On Dec 02, 2016
Damn.....this dude beat me to the post...............anyway, its an eye opener to Buhari and his crew......2019 loading...!

23 Likes

Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by aprokomania(m): 2:14pm On Dec 02, 2016
jabberjawz:
Damn.....this dude beat me to the post...............anyway, its an eye opener to Buhari and his crew......!
no vex bros
I still collect FTC
choi
I'm on a roll today

4 Likes

Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by Nobody: 2:25pm On Dec 02, 2016
Such is life

I made fp on my 2nd day to join nairaland

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by aprokomania(m): 3:02pm On Dec 02, 2016
EmmzyWhite:
Such is life
I made fp on my 2nd day to join nairaland
cool
Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by aprokomania(m): 3:28pm On Dec 02, 2016
lalasticlala
Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by herzern1(m): 5:06pm On Dec 02, 2016
TippyTop:

Will yhu quyz stop these "Jonathan this Jonathan that"...... What he did is what is expected of a qood leader in sane climes......So I don't think he deserve any form of accolade or unnecessary qlory...

#Peace

60 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by henrydadon(m): 5:06pm On Dec 02, 2016
grin noting surprise me any more since donald trump could win the US election..congratulation to him..no dream is too big to achieve if you put your mind to it

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by Oma831(f): 5:07pm On Dec 02, 2016
God is great

2 Likes

Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by Nobody: 5:07pm On Dec 02, 2016
Ha
. . .Barrow ran for eight political groups who united for the first time to field a single candidate.

So, two things were learned from Nigeria grin grin

How to concede defeat in African Politics like Oga Jona

And how to merge parties to win like APC grin

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by Omeokachie: 5:08pm On Dec 02, 2016
In Patorankin's voice..."nobody wey no fit to make am ooo"

2 Likes

Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by olusledge: 5:08pm On Dec 02, 2016
No Difference..
Their situation be like Nigeria own
After military left power
Obasanjo was chosen ...a former military man
umaru musa yaradua :the brother of sheu yaradua a former military man
they tussled power with GEJ
Now Buhari a former military man

Lets Face the Fact Before Nigeria would Progress ,some certain set of people must die

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by loadedvibes: 5:08pm On Dec 02, 2016
Bushmeat chasing hunter
Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by ammyluv2002(f): 5:09pm On Dec 02, 2016
Birds of the same feathers
Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by SenatorTobijah(m): 5:09pm On Dec 02, 2016
This is the kind of President that will wreck and milk that country dry
Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by Ijaya123: 5:10pm On Dec 02, 2016
TippyTop:

Precedence for what please?

5 Likes

Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by thinkdip(m): 5:10pm On Dec 02, 2016
GEJ rubbed on the other African President's because of his singular act to conceed defeat in 2015.

because i know yahya jammeh to be a wizard, how can he conceed defeat? but then, he saw a gentle man did it with the giant of Africa then.

Live long GEJ.

16 Likes

Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by Guyman02: 5:11pm On Dec 02, 2016
aprokomania:

1. The African Union sent a handful of observers to this country of 1.9 million but there are no observers from the European Union or the West African regional bloc ECOWAS because the Gambian government did not grant them accreditation.
2. Critics say those elections were not free and fair and accused his regime of corruption and flagrant human rights abuses.

Did America invite African Union as observers in the US elections? NO
Who critics epp, if American elections were free and fair Hillary Clinton and Jill Stein will not be seeking for a recount of the votes won by Trump.

Africans need to start doing their own things their own way, its a new dawn for the continent

16 Likes

Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by Okwyjesus(m): 5:11pm On Dec 02, 2016
This story just made my day.
Enough of all this democratic mornach in Africa.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by dokunbam(m): 5:12pm On Dec 02, 2016
» Former Security Guard undecided

ok lets see
Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by seguno2: 5:12pm On Dec 02, 2016
James Ibori was also a former cashier in the UK where he also stole their money before Delta people elected him to continue stealing their money.

4 Likes

Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by hazyfm1: 5:12pm On Dec 02, 2016
GEJ setting the path

1 Like

Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by Nobody: 5:12pm On Dec 02, 2016
Such is life....

4 Likes

Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by ednut1(m): 5:13pm On Dec 02, 2016
Hope we wont see cctv of him nicking some items grin angry. the ex president shud move to California and start acting horror movies

3 Likes

Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by 4nobody4every1: 5:13pm On Dec 02, 2016
cool
Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by ogologoamu: 5:13pm On Dec 02, 2016
TippyTop:

Haters of truth will not like this

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by wowmenow: 5:14pm On Dec 02, 2016
This change presidents always destroy their country

I pray Ghana don't acrrp change next week
Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by trademoore1: 5:14pm On Dec 02, 2016
Wow
Yayeh Jameeh kicked out. This is good

1 Like

Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by seguno2: 5:15pm On Dec 02, 2016
aprokomania:

no vex bros
I still collect FTC
choi
I'm on a roll today

Your mate dey strategise how to be meaningful in life you dey here dey roll on top nairaland ftc?
Who did this to you?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adama Barrow Set To Rule Gambia, Yahya Jammeh Concedes Defeat by PaulIdu: 5:15pm On Dec 02, 2016
I hope Buhari will accept his impending defeat in 2019 when we strike again

9 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Asked Putin: Will You Kill Zelensky? He Said No & Gave Me His Word - Israel PM / Trump's Ban Affected One Of His Supporters (Photos) / Sri Lanka Citizens Take Over President’s Residence After Overthrowing Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.