Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,856 members, 7,802,748 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:37 PM

$29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel (17904 Views)

Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill / Buhari Rejects Files, Orders Aides To Meet Osinbajo / Achebe Center Moves To Block Buhari’s $29.9bn Loan Bid •writes World Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

$29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by yns4real: 12:50am On Dec 03, 2016
Federal Government is pushing ahead with plans to secure $29.9billion loans in spite of scathing criticisms from ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo.

It was learnt that President Muhammadu Buhari has directed the Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun, to engage the ex-President on the facts-behind-the-figures in respect of the loans.

The Finance Minister, who is said to be a “goddaughter” of the ex-President, may also get a feedback from Obasanjo to the government.

According to investigation conducted by our correspondent, the Buhari administration has discovered that Obasanjo does not have sufficient information on the loans.

Findings made by our correspondent indicated that the Federal Government has decided to ignore calls that it should shelve the loans and had resolved to engage Obasanjo and convince him on the need for the loans.

It was gathered that the government would also make all the details available to the ex-President to prove that the loans would not amount to fresh “debt traps.”

A top source said: “We are going ahead with the loans, but we will allay the fears of ex-President Obasanjo with necessary documents on the sources and plans.

“I think the ex-President needs some details. We are certainly going to engage Obasanjo. We will not take issues with him in the media.

“It is to the credit of Obasanjo that he secured debt reliefs for the nation. We want him to realize that we are not out to pile up fresh debts for the nation.

“These loans are coming from some liberal creditors including the World Bank, Africa Development Bank (AfDB), Islamic Development Bank (IDB), Japan International Co-operation Agency (JICA) and China EximBank.

“What Nigerians do not know is that we had many offers but were careful in selecting our loan facilitators.

“For instance, the Buhari administration rejected loan offers from the International Monetary Funds (IMF) because of Nigerians’ attitude to the international agency for such a bail out in 1990.

“Yet out of the $29.9 billion loans, the Federal Government’s share is $25.8 billion while the states will enjoy $4.1 billion facility.”

The source gave insights into the loans as follows:

The external borrowing plan is a three-year plan covering proposed projects for 2016 – 2018. As such, the borrowings will be phased over the three-year period.
The borrowings are highly concessional (non-commercial) with low interest rates and long tenors.
The funding is being sought from multilateral institutions including the World Bank, Africa Development Bank (AfDB), Islamic Development Bank (IDB), Japan International Co-operation Agency (JICA) and China EximBank.
The planned Eurobond issuance in the international capital markets is the only commercial source of funding.
The source said: “There is no way we can even implement 2017 budget without the loans. We are in dire straits. We need some breather to revive the economy.

“It is not physical cash as being assumed. All the institutions will be involved in the management of the loans to ensure judicious use.

“And for a prudent government like that of Buhari, there is 100 per cent assurance that the loans will not be mismanaged unlike the case in the past.”

Responding to a question, the highly-placed source added: “The government has mandated the Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun, to engage the ex-President on the indices behind obtaining the loans. Our hands are tied because of lack of funds to implement laudable projects.

“The Minister will then return with a feedback from the ex-President on how we can manage the loans better. Fortunately for Buhari, the Minister is more or less a “goddaughter” of Obasanjo.

“Whatever is the communication gap, we will use the engagement with Obasanjo to clear the air.”

The ex-President had asked Buhari to stay off the loans, saying that it would mortgage the nation’s future.

He said: “I believe that going for a huge loan under any guise is inadvisable and it will amount to going the line of soft option, which will come to haunt us in future.

“We immediately need loans to stabilise our foreign reserve and embark on some infrastructure development, but surely not $30 billion over a period of less than three years.

“That was about the magnitude of cumulative debt of Nigeria which we worked and wiped out 10 years ago. Before that debt relief, we were spending almost $3 billion to service our debt annually, and the quantum of the debt was not going down.

“Rather, if we defaulted, we paid penalty, which was added on.”

He said some of the projects to be financed by the $30 billion loans were not self-sustaining.

He added: “The projects listed for borrowing are all necessary in the medium and long run for our economy, but we have to prioritise.

“Railway is a necessary service, but it is not profit-making anywhere in the world today. We need steady and continuous but manageable funding on the railway project.

“Mambilla hydro is the same; necessary but it cannot pay itself, especially with the global energy sector of shale revolution, hydrogen fuel and increasingly cheap renewable energy such as solar.

“OPEC itself has projected that the price of oil will be hovering in the region of $50 per barrel for the next 15 years or so.

“The argument of concessional mixed with commercial does not hold water. When the concessional and the non-concessional borrowings are put together, interests alone will be in the region of 3% to 4%.

“The bunching of debt service will be a problem to confront other administrations in future. Soft option alone is not the answer; a mixture of soft and hard options is the way to go.

“Telling us that those projects will pay themselves cannot be the whole truth. We were told there was rainy day when we lavished our reserve and excess crude on frivolities. When we now have the rains beating us, there is no umbrella over our heads.

“Again, now we are being told the projects will pay themselves when we know damn well they will not.

“If we borrow some thirty billion dollars in less than three years, we would have mortgaged the future of Nigeria for well over thirty years to come.

“There may also be the problem of absorptive capacity which will surely lead to waste.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/29-9bn-loans-buhari-rejects-obasanjos-counsel/

Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by socialmediaman: 1:01am On Dec 03, 2016
I Hope Nigerians stand solidly AGAINST this insane borrowing move by this government!

A government that is so slow at implementing policies in the name of being careful, so rigid in opening up the economy to trade and investment, so blind in identifying and exploring economic opportunities, and so incompetent that it drove the economy into recesssion, CANNOT be trusted with a $29 billion dollar loan. Buhari could not manage the ailing economy that GEJ handed over to him in 2015, where did he get the wisdom and competence to manage a whooping $29 billion dollars which will also be accruing interest and pile up more debt?

STAND UP AGAINST BUHARI'S INCOMPETENCE

94 Likes 12 Shares

Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by Nobody: 1:36am On Dec 03, 2016
Na there wahala go start.
Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by DozieInc(m): 1:38am On Dec 03, 2016
Buhari and Mrs English wont listen, they have sworn to finish the country.

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by otukpo(f): 2:28am On Dec 03, 2016
There must be an open letter soon.

19 Likes

Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by Berrylite: 9:52am On Dec 03, 2016
Hmmmm
Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by webo16: 9:52am On Dec 03, 2016
These people want to borrow our future into debt

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by Segadem(m): 9:52am On Dec 03, 2016
I'm short of words
Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by Segadem(m): 9:53am On Dec 03, 2016
DozieInc:
Buhari and Mrs English wont listen, they have sworn to finish the country.
grin

3 Likes

Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by Poorboy: 9:53am On Dec 03, 2016
Hahahaha him wife vex with am, now Obj dey counsel am.... Ok ooo

1 Like

Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by Rilwayne001: 9:53am On Dec 03, 2016
All is well with us.

smiley

2 Likes

Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by jerryunit48: 9:53am On Dec 03, 2016
So where are the recovered looted items

3 Likes

Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by eleojo23: 9:54am On Dec 03, 2016
Looking at how directionless this government is, I am not in support of such a huge loan.

They will end up leaving us in a bigger mess in future.

4 Likes

Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by Ibime(m): 9:54am On Dec 03, 2016
Nobody will loan Nigeria $30bln or even close. This Govt is deceiving itself. Like Sanusi said, nobody would loan you money when you have 5 different exchange rates.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by Sibrah: 9:54am On Dec 03, 2016
The idea of borrowing isn't bad, but borrowing to do projects that will not yeild returns anytime soon is bad.
Let the govt tell Nigerians Who's going to repay the loans and how in detail.
We don't want another Osun state X 36.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by moffat(m): 9:55am On Dec 03, 2016
recession is just a word by december we will get over it......

i salute una ipod kuenu
Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by steppin: 9:56am On Dec 03, 2016
Ibime:
Nobody will loan Nigeria $30bln or even close. This Govt is deceiving itself. Like Sanusi said, nobody would loan you money when you have 5 different exchange rates.
If it's any other African country, it's possible. But once it's Nigeria, they can even lend 50 billion dollars to us without batting an eyelid.
They already know how to collect it when the time comes.

1 Like

Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by gurunlocker: 9:57am On Dec 03, 2016
By the time the dullard finish with this country, Zimbabwe will be a paradise

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by pinkcottoncandy: 9:57am On Dec 03, 2016
why are Nigerians against borrowing?

UK has a population of 70 million and they owe over 1Trillion dollars.

Our Government should be able to borrow ....UNDER THESE CONDITIONS.

1) Borrow money to build 4 regional refineries. This will eliminate the fx losses from oil export/import saga. We will not need to export any oil but to use our oil here in Nigeria and sell any excess to neighbouring african countries. Masses will be able to enjoy little crumbs from the national cake ...as price of fuel will reduce to maybe 20 naira per littre....our currency will stabilise ....ohhh and appreciate....

2) Borrow to fix our NEPA electricity issues so that the common man can enjoy life, local business can grow and industries can strive, inviting foreign investment to build factories regionally so that youths can get employed.

THESE ARE THE ONLY 2 ISSUES THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO FIRST BORROW MONEY FOR. AND NOTHING ELSE UNTIL THESE 2 ARE ACCOMPLISHED....

It does not matter if the amount borrowed is 200 billion dollars

Imagine our annual budget for 200 million people( no need to deceive ourselves..we are more that 200 million in number)....

A tiny budget for a lot of people. considering the purchasing power parity is not in our favour.....Goods are more expensive in Nigeria that other countries how are we expected to develop...how is our GDP supposed to increase...

I dont understand who advises our leaders....a bunch of IDJIOTS. Why can they not get leading professors globally to form thinktanks to advise on our different policies before they are implemented?

A person who does not realise he has body odour...how will he know that he needs to buy a good rollon;....The same way a government who does not understand the dynamics that drive and economy, how can they know how to create policies to fix the economic mess Nigeria is in?

YOUTHS YOU MUST RAISE YOUR VOICES-----WE NEED GLOBAL THINKTANKS TO ADVISE OUR GOVERNMENT AND NOT FAT BELLIED FOOOLLLSS THAT KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ECONOMICS.

AS FOR THE STUPIDITY OF OUR CBN.....NO COMMENT!!!

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by Jafar1: 9:57am On Dec 03, 2016
just here to read comments
Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by iykedare(m): 9:57am On Dec 03, 2016
Ok
Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by moffat(m): 9:58am On Dec 03, 2016
moffat:
recession is just a word by december we will get over it......

IPOD - INDEPENDENT PEOPLE OF DONDI

i salute una ipod kuenu
Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by NCP: 9:58am On Dec 03, 2016
ok, OBJ, Next Letter pls

1 Like

Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by OneManLegion(m): 10:00am On Dec 03, 2016
Make me sef show face for FP today.. Na person born me.

***Modified***
Obasanjo raised very intelligent objections(much to my surprise). Unfortunately, the fg has not appropriately addressed Mr Obasanjo's reservations. Instead, they're proposing to send his god-daughter to smoothen things out(Read: coax him into silence using familial sentiments).

I also find it quite an affront to the Nigerian people because I perceive the FG's action to imply that it's only Mr Obasanjo that deserves to be dignified with an explanation.

Do those imbecilic _morons realise that their stewardship is to us, the voters?

Nigerians are too gentle abeg.

7 Likes

Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by bid4rich(m): 10:00am On Dec 03, 2016
[size=16pt]They should read this before they go ahead to borrow: Borrower is always a slave to the lender[/size]

I rest my case

7 Likes

Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by spartan50(m): 10:01am On Dec 03, 2016
Bubu has started again. And why seek counsel from Obj. Nigeria is in serious confusion.

1 Like

Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by afanide: 10:01am On Dec 03, 2016
Expect OBJ to start wailing soon...cheesy cheesy

Want to Start EXPORTATION/BUSINESS (Bitterkola, Ginger & Cocoa Powder)?
Contact me via my signature below... ONLY SERIOUS PEOPLE please.
Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by femliany(m): 10:01am On Dec 03, 2016
A dog that will get lost will refuse to listen to hunter clarion call..what happend to stamp duty?what happened to all the fund you claim that the corupt polithiefians are returning?money no dey TSA again ni?propanga wins an election but cannot be used to govern

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by bumi10(m): 10:04am On Dec 03, 2016
hmmmm

why would a country even elect someone that knows nothing about economics?

I mean, shouldn't this be one of the criteria for qualifying for presidency??

who made out constitutions self?
Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by Tonymegabush1(m): 10:07am On Dec 03, 2016
pls I want to start my own company who will borrow me just 3m pls I will repay u bck in 3yrs
Re: $29.9bn Loans: Buhari Rejects Obasanjo’s Counsel by stronggman: 10:07am On Dec 03, 2016
Buhari is a coursed human being,he'san empty skull, he's brain dead, woe betied any person that supported or voted for buhari, may it never forever be well with them.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

DSS Produces Dasuki, Bows To Court Order / Mustapha Akanbi Dies (Ex ICPC Chairman) / PDP, Treasury Looters Are Conniving To Bring Down Our Govt – Lai Mohammed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.