Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,821 members, 7,798,778 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:11 AM

Possesed - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Possesed (906 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Possesed by kizzykeziah: 1:52am On Dec 03, 2016
POSSESSED

'....all you thought I wasn't,
All I've always been,
The sweetness you lack,
The venom to smother you.

Your blindness kept you away,
Your fears shut you out,
You were buried deep in,
You couldn't notice.

Here I am,
Right in your face...."

Qetsiyah©

"It's been years. Fifteen long years since the worst of it all. You'll be fine. Just damn it all."

I try telling myself this over and over again while staring blankly at Mayowa who is seemingly absorbed in his own reassuring words. He must think I'm actually listening to him considering he's not even slowing it down the least.

"I can't." I cut in, putting my hand up to stop him. Making a gesture of my fingers to point at the both of us, I shake my head still,
"We......can't."

Then I reach for my handbag beside me on the bench, sling it across my shoulder and shut my eyes as he lets out an exasperated gasp. Whoever said marriage proposals were always accepted in open places....

"Folusho..."

His call is calm but my reassurances to myself are overcome by the memories I have stamped in my head forever. The memories that added a psychological dysfunction to my physiological one. The cruellest of all beginning the week after my eight birthday.

POSSESSED

I pulled myself slowly over onto the jarred piece of foam that served as my mattress in the eight feet square room I occupied. My already aching tummy hurt even more as I lay face down on the mattress. I was definitely going to die this time.

The thought of dying actually freaked me out and coupled with the dizziness that was swarming my head, the reality of being locked away dawned and unable to help it anymore, I put all of the energy left in me into a yell for my mother, the only person who never could stand my sickness,
"Mommy, please! I'm sorry! I swear it by everything. I won't attack them again. Please..."

My last two sentences faded into sobs as my plea was met with dead silence. This was hell. Wasn't anyone at home? Or did Father take them to his mothers' house after Remi was confirmed dead? Did they really fear my powers? My "alleged" powers?

Shutting my eyes and wrapping my arms around me , I lay to face the wall and mumbled comforting words to myself, hoping by the time I let my eyes open, an angel from the carved images I always stared at in church would have flapped down to take me home to heaven.

No one's coming.
No one would remember you.
You killed all of them..

"I didn't do anything." I found myself talking to the empty room as my subconscious tried to convict me. I really didn't do anything wrong. I didn't.

I was unaware of whenever time I drift away in sleep but the rousing noise that jolt me was enough to wake Smaug of The Hobbit from his eternal sleep.

I opened my eyes, starting up from my lying position as I thought someone was already in my room.
"Mommy? Seyifunmi?"

I called out and jumped to bang at the door from within. The room was choking me as the only window was shut tight. I needed some air at least. After what seemed like forever, I turned back to my solace in the mattress but slipped on the smooth terrazo floor, twisting my left foot and consequently hitting my knee against the cold floor.
I tried to relax but couldn't lift any further as pain formed within my bones. I couldn't help the cry that escaped me as both my legs ached me sore. The rheumatism had set in again.
Slamming both fists against my legs, I pulled and rubbed, trying to bring myself some sort of comfort, no matter how short lived it would be.

Finally I just lay down, crying. Just then, the lock to my room clicked to let in my father. I almost thought he had brought in the daily meal I was allowed for the past two days, palm oil and solid pap,Èko, just like an extraterrestrial sacrifice but he just glared at me.

"Is this her? The Ogbanje?"

The voice wasn't my fathers' and I tried dimming my eyesight to see whoever it was. The pain sensation however took over and I cried in pain, eyes begging father to help as the pain was spreading fast to my knees and thigh.

"Awon emi yen lo n nii lara... Those familiar spirits are bothering her. Can't you see?" The other remarked again.

I looked up to see my father nod stiffly, his face contort in disgust as he gazed at me whilst I whimpered in hurt. It really wasn't any use asking him for help, he cared more about Remi, my latest dead brother, the one I had allegedly brought to his demise.

The boy was already four years old and finally was believed to be doing well. Up until the other morning though, three days ago. All five of us kids had gone out to fetch wood for mother, although warnings had been given against taking Remi along. He was the jewel of the family. The only surviving son after the death of three other boys and a girl in the span of seven years. All after my birth. So it wasn't any guessing why I was the Ogbanje that killed them all. Remilekun had chosen to running about the farmyard a few plots from our home and Seyifunmi, the last daughter, younger than himself had joined in his game. He had collapsed when he reached me, only to start awake in gasps. He never survived as he was all stiff before Shade could run all the way home, craddling him and yelling for help. The point is that he died. My baby brother died. Another one. Again.

And now they were here to appease my spirits. As always.

"Are you taking her now?" I heard father ask the other who I still hadn't seen but apparently was here because of my Ogbanje story.

"Wait, let me assess how bad it is..."

Pointing a shaky index finger at me, he began his lamentation, "How bad could it be? She's an Ogbanje. She has sacrificed my sons to her group of fellow possessed spirits. Don't you see how she's turning and curling? That's how it is everytime. Everytime she keeps showing herself and making things go wrong in this family. She's sick and dangerous. Everytime she has the sickness, there's always a problem."
I didn't know what happened next but my already yellow eyeballs, ghostly from my poor diet with which I turned to glare probably freaked him out a little as he glanced away hurriedly, bumping into the wooden cupboard that stood by the wall side.

"WITCH!" He spat and slammed out leaving me to the scrutinizing gaze of the other. I expected it would be one of those older ones that never seemed to run out of ideas on how to treat a child like me but this one was quite young. Probably younger than even father.

"What do you want from them?" His voice seemed to slice through my head as I tried to turn away.

I shook my head, careful not to say anything lest they used it against me in future. I could recall vividly the last time I spoke when my grandmother confronted me about the deaths of her grandsons and I told her I needed a doctor and not a traditional herbalist. She had come down with a fever the next morning and I had to be taken to the dumpsite to kneel and offer sacrifices to my alleged fellows that wouldn't stay out of the family matters.
My schoolteacher who particularly thought I was a pretty and smart kid had called me into her office one day to ask why I always missed school and after asking some more questions, she told me to ask my parents to take me to a doctor in a good hospital. How could I ever have told them without something else creeping up? Mother was a cloth seller at the fortnight market and father was the clerk at our local post office. They would rather swim in ignorance than be dictated to by their eight year old anaemic daughter.

Shock waves danced through me as I felt a slice through my back. Whenever had he pulled out the palm branch, Mariwo soaked in some liquid, the one that warded off unclean spirits. It left a feeling of hurt that coupled with my current leg clog travelling rapidly up my thighs and slowly beginning to form in both hands, I was sent into a fit.

Mommy...

I thought I was screaming but dear me, my call was the softest of whispers. I could almost hear someone come up to the door before my breaths gave in, my head spinning and finally, oblivion.
Re: Possesed by kizzykeziah: 1:55am On Dec 03, 2016
EPILOGUE

Of course, I lived through this also. Woke up to be surrounded by candles that seemed to travel on and on and then I was beaten to ward off the spirits, nearly drowned in freezing water to cleanse me, forced to swallow pots of herbs to rid me of my unending crisis and eventually sentenced off to live with Ewejoko, the young herbalist that eventually tried to rape me before I ran off to the catholic church in the nearby town, never to return again. Never to set eyes on my parents again.

I don't think they bothered searching for me. My ritualistic grandmother would most likely have cheered that I had "faded" and Seyifunmi might just have cried. No one would have missed me, that much I was sure off. But then, right now although I've lived through the worst, the crisis still sets in and although I live in an enlightened setting, I still receive a number of discriminations. But one thing I'm sure of, I would return home, The Ogbanje that lived....

"The defiance you taught me,

The limits you pushed to.....

I've evolved,

You know me not no more.

Now I'm the queen,

A mermaid I've become..."

1 Like

Re: Possesed by kizzykeziah: 2:02am On Dec 03, 2016
Aloha everyone, it's been ages here on Nairaland but some things just keep pulling you in. Writing.

I've missed posting here. Really cry

I could start with invites for my gees but it's just a short writing today. I have loads of it but this particular one feels different. Connecting with those who're sickle cell anaemia patients who still go through the hell called "discrimination". We're in the 21st century, the word- Ogbanje should be going extinct...

I'm still me and I've missed y'all.

1 Like

Re: Possesed by kinah(f): 10:43am On Dec 03, 2016
she's back again. welcome back girl!

1 Like

Re: Possesed by Divepen1(m): 12:18pm On Dec 03, 2016
kinah:
Where have you been...
Re: Possesed by Divepen1(m): 12:18pm On Dec 03, 2016
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.. See what I'm seeing oo. kizzy is back.
Re: Possesed by Akposb(m): 5:18pm On Dec 03, 2016
Seriously, it's like you are just back from some other planet. Good to know you are still around.
Re: Possesed by harjibolar10(m): 7:32pm On Dec 04, 2016
Make I just siddon jeje, witat makin noise
Re: Possesed by kizzykeziah: 5:12pm On Dec 05, 2016
kinah:

Err, not completely but YES... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Possesed by kizzykeziah: 5:15pm On Dec 05, 2016
Divepen1:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.. See what I'm seeing oo. kizzy is back.

I couldn't keep away sad I should post one of the writings I have (though yet to be completed) but still I'm going to start that. How have you been too cool
Re: Possesed by kizzykeziah: 5:16pm On Dec 05, 2016
Akposb:
Seriously, it's like you are just back from some other planet. Good to know you are still around.

Faithful follower...you're awesome. This school of a thing is another planet though sad

Good to be around, yeah...
Re: Possesed by kizzykeziah: 5:20pm On Dec 05, 2016
harjibolar10:
Make I just siddon jeje, witat makin noise
Lol...namesake of life.

Tell me what you guys think though

1 Like

Re: Possesed by harjibolar10(m): 8:03pm On Jun 14, 2017
Where in this world are you nah?

Commancontunu fah

(1) (Reply)

Whoever Wrote This' Monkey Money Madness(mmm) Story Is A Genius / Jumoke Verissimo Celebrates Her 37th Birthday Today / The Best Love Story Ever Told By Braineypraisey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.