Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:20 PM

Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? (94991 Views)

Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! / Novels Are Time Sucking, Time Wasting Cooked Up Stories? / Which Books Are You Currently Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by gentleone(f): 5:31pm On Dec 01, 2005
@bagoma, read kane n abel first. its very interesting. shall we tell the president is the sequel to it.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by bagoma(f): 8:20pm On Dec 01, 2005
ok, gentleone, i'll try. thanks.
ok its kane and abel, se? wink
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Balogun(m): 8:24pm On Dec 01, 2005
Soulful, the list of books you have put down are fantastic books. Unfortunately too many philistines on this particular subject. Most things discussed are commercial/travel books suitable for ......... taste. We need to start asubject on intellectual readings!! grin
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by bagoma(f): 9:44pm On Dec 01, 2005
e.g??
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Balogun(m): 9:58pm On Dec 01, 2005
Sophies World and all books written by Jostein Gaarder gives you a full philosophical look on life. A lot of books written by Ian McEwan starting with Cement Garden. A lot of the African authors mentioned. Some of the Carribean authors e.g VS Naipul. Kane and Abel is such a sub standard book written by a sub standard author with a sub standard plot.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by demmy(m): 4:43pm On Dec 02, 2005
@laolu Zadie Smith now thats a very talented young lady. I enjoyed White Teeth to no end. read it three times already. grin I'am anxiously waiting for On Beauty as my christmas gift.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by gentleone(f): 5:08pm On Dec 02, 2005
@balogun, u are entitled to your own opinion but i think Kane n Abel is a really nice novel with a good plot and a good author. i've read other Jeffery Archer novels and they are all nice.

@bagoma, go ahead n read the book, i believe u'll like it.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by bagoma(f): 9:05pm On Dec 02, 2005
@ balogun,
you call jeffrey archer a sub-standard author? the guy is a new york times best selling author, o
Hmmm! who is your definition of a standard author?
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by nferyn(m): 10:09pm On Dec 02, 2005
Jeffrey Archer writes thrillers, good ones at that, but that hardly qualifies his writing as literature.
I enjoy reading Archer, Mc Dermid, Cussler and the like, but those stories never stick. Read today, forgotten tomorrow

Ouch, made a mistake... I was thinking about Jeffrey Deaver. So forget the above, I haven't read Archer.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by bagoma(f): 8:38pm On Dec 03, 2005
@nferyn,
then do yourself a favor and read one, maybe you start with "shall we tell the president"
i think it will stick with you, (i know your kind wink )
Please, try it while i try it (i'm yet to read it too) then lets discuss it. what do you say?
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by nferyn(m): 3:07am On Dec 04, 2005
bagoma:

@nferyn,
then do yourself a favor and read one, maybe you start with "shall we tell the president"
i think it will stick with you, (i know your kind wink )
Please, try it while i try it (i'm yet to read it too) then lets discuss it. what do you say?
I'll get myself an E-Book and give it a try. I will give you a review [/i]afterwards. You got yourself a deal wink
Anyway, what exactly is [i]my kind
? You intrigue me.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by bagoma(f): 8:47pm On Dec 04, 2005
well, from what i have read so of you (posts) i am inclined to believe that you'd enjoy reading a book with more 'meat', well, something tasking or should i say rewarding, intellectually, at least a little bit,  that is i think you'll prefer a hardcore as opposed to a softsell. am i wrong?  smiley
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by nferyn(m): 10:34pm On Dec 04, 2005
bagoma:

well, from what i have read so of you (posts) i am inclined to believe that you'd enjoy reading a book with more 'meat', well, something tasking or should i say rewarding, intellectually, at least a little bit, that is i think you'll prefer a hardcore as opposed to a softsell. am i wrong? smiley

Yes and no. I like challenging books, but these are usually non-fiction. On the fiction side, there are two kinds of books I like: fast-food consumption thrillers (like Clancy, De Mille, ...) and good literary works that move you by their use of precise and rich language and plot. I cannot stand fast-food romantic novels. They're a waste of paper and ink. I'd rather read milk bottles or paper ads for washing powder, as they are far more inspiring.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by bagoma(f): 7:23pm On Dec 05, 2005
haha ha ha ha grin grin oh another reason why women are so different from men. 80% young girls would sue you for that statement, eh what did you say? waste of paper and ink? whaaaat? shocked cheesy

seriously, some of them romance novels are really really interesting and rich, somehow, really. there are some very good romance authors that combine history, intrigue, suspense, even crime and romance in the right mix and come out with something good. you're just not looking beyond the mills and boons series. wink
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by damygurl(f): 11:56pm On Dec 05, 2005
whoa!!! did i just hear sumone say a waste of paper and ink? heck no!! they r da best!! i don know which ones u have read but try Nora roberts, lori foster, christine feehan, Janet Evanovich and tell me they r still a waste of paper and ink!!!!
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by nferyn(m): 1:22am On Dec 06, 2005
bagoma:

haha ha ha ha grin grin oh another reason why women are so different from men. 80% young girls would sue you for that statement, eh what did you say? waste of paper and ink? whaaaat? shocked cheesy
seriously, some of them romance novels are really really interesting and rich, somehow, really. there are some very good romance authors that combine history, intrigue, suspense, even crime and romance in the right mix and come out with something good. you're just not looking beyond the mills and boons series. wink

Now chill .... I'm not saying that romantic novels aren't a good read per se, I'm only saying that most of these paperbax twelve in a dozen 'novels' like the Bouquet series are just so bad that they do not rock my boat in the slightest. And yes, that's probably got to do with the fact that I'm male. I need a little more than some poorly written romantic pulp novel that turns using cliches into an artform.
On the other hand, if there's enough suspense, I can even swallow poor writing (e.g. Clancy) - gues that makes me a typical male grin
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Rolly: 6:35pm On Dec 06, 2005
hey y'all! u guys have named really nice books and thats good. i'm a sucker for romance novels and my best and fave authors are Julie Garwoood and Nora Roberts. i also like books by sidney sheldon, jeffery archer and david baladacci. just to ask, has anyone read "total control" by david baladacci? i know its old but u know..........
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by bagoma(f): 7:19pm On Dec 06, 2005
i love nora roberts as well. i also love elizabeth lowell. there so many very good romance novels, so many and us girls/ladies will keep reading them no matter what!
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by icingbaby(f): 1:41am On Dec 08, 2005
i'm reading rich dad, poor dad. by robert t. kiyosaki

it about what the rich teach their kids about money that the poor and middle class do not.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by alheri(f): 10:16am On Dec 08, 2005
icingbaby,thats a nice book. Ive read it like twice.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Rolly: 3:35pm On Dec 08, 2005
yeah icingbaby, i read the book too. it is nice and it teaches u some valuable things. read on!!!!!!!!! smiley
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Rolly: 3:41pm On Dec 08, 2005
Allenpower, u r not the only one. i havent read it too.

Laide o, "tell me ur derams" is one of sidney sheoldon's good books. i loved it.

Pinky, have u read "sinners" and "rockstar by jakice collins" ? i love her books. if there is more of her books that u've read pls let me know. thnx
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by puree: 4:45pm On Dec 09, 2005
can sm1 talk more about John Grisham's novels.
Any lawyers in the house
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by bagoma(f): 12:08am On Dec 10, 2005
i'm not a lawyer but i so love john grisham's novels like crazy.
first got hooked to him many years ago. it was the client. did't put it down till the last page.
i cant say which is my favorite but i love the firm, the pelican brief, the partner, the client the summons etc. he has an easy way of writing, such that anybody can read them whether you are "legally" inclined or not.
i think he's a great writer.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by nicetohave(m): 6:04am On Dec 10, 2005
I believe in Miracles, by Kathryn Kuhlman
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by cammy(f): 1:52am On Dec 11, 2005
k i love raeding i think its pretty kool rite now i am currently reading a rasin in the son its a kool book
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by sweetnini(f): 2:24am On Dec 11, 2005
pirates ANGEL BY Robyn Crane
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by fancidiva(f): 9:34am On Dec 16, 2005
well,

y'all need to check out the harlequins novels. their novels are really good and interesting too( most especially if you are a lady). they have a websites with weekly short stories you can read for free... be sure to check it out and let me know your opinion... their website is www.eharlequin.com.

the best one i've read so far is "A baby for emily".
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by nicetohave(m): 11:28am On Dec 16, 2005
What happened from the cross to the throne___E.W. Kenyon
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by gentleone(f): 12:57pm On Dec 16, 2005
@bagoma, the first novel of John Grisham that i read was, A Painted House and i wasdisappointed cos i had heard so much about his books and how interesting they were.
i read Silence of the lambs by thomas Harris of recent and it was quite intriguing.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by bagoma(f): 10:04pm On Dec 17, 2005
gentleone you were disappointed with his book?
i've never read "a painted house" but i want to say that that disappointment shouldnt put you off. let me recommend "the firm" for you i'm sure you'll love it. everyone and i mean everyone loves it.
so?
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by nike4luv(f): 10:49pm On Dec 17, 2005
mates dates and chocolate cheats by cathy hopkins
i love books by her

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (100)

Blood For Blood:a Tale Of Treachery / A Story: Broken Vows / FEIRE - A Romance Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.