Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,223 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:00 AM

Do you think atheists should celebrate Christmas? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do you think atheists should celebrate Christmas? (475 Views)

Why Even Atheists Should Want There To Be A God / 5 Constructive Things Atheists Should Be Doing With Their Lives / Why Nigerian Atheists Should Go To Church (for atheists only) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do you think atheists should celebrate Christmas? by Ferruccio(m): 11:03pm On Dec 03, 2016
Christmas is an annual festival commemorating the birth of Jesus Christ. It makes zero sense for atheists to commemorate the birth of someone who ' doesn't exist '.

And by celebrating I mean, of course, buying and receiving gifts, refusal to work, giving cards, proclaiming Christmas statement toward others such as happy Christmas which could be shunned without causing offence to others.

Don't get me wrong, I am not stating that a person should do anything that offends non atheist family members or friends, like refusal to eat a Christmas dinner specifically cooked for you but rather that Christmas Day for Atheists should be seen completely as any other day of the year without acknowledgment or celebration as that is hypocrisy.

2 Likes

Re: Do you think atheists should celebrate Christmas? by EyeHateGod: 2:51am On Dec 04, 2016
You mean the Culture You Christian Stole or should i say borrowed (sorry they didn't ask) from pagans? And then changed it concept? And then called it Christimas?
Re: Do you think atheists should celebrate Christmas? by Nobody: 3:08am On Dec 04, 2016
That's like asking if Nigeria should celebrate America's independence.
Re: Do you think atheists should celebrate Christmas? by Nobody: 3:12am On Dec 04, 2016
This is a very beautiful Sunday. Receive sense in Jesus name.
EyeHateGod:
You mean the Culture You Christian Stole? And then changed it concept? And then called it Christimass?
Re: Do you think atheists should celebrate Christmas? by EyeHateGod: 3:18am On Dec 04, 2016
Millerz:
This is a very beautiful Sunday. Receive sense in Jesus name.
Does this Change the Fact that you stole A culture? And please what is beautiful about the Sunday that doesn't apply to every other days of the week?
Re: Do you think atheists should celebrate Christmas? by jonbellion(m): 6:01am On Dec 04, 2016
Lol
Since the earliest days of Christianity, the customs that Christians use to celebrate Christmas (and Easter) have been altered to attract non-Christians to the religion. Many pagan rituals were incorporated into Christmas festivities as a way to appease ancient converts who were reluctant to discard their old traditions, or perhaps to appease the old gods who might get angry if their customs are abandoned. Pagan rituals like Saturnalia, the winter solstice, sole invictus and yule
Read up on your religion please
The Christmas tree is obviously a pagan symbol
Since the date of Christs' birth is unknown the holiday has been overshadowed by pagan concepts grin
Re: Do you think atheists should celebrate Christmas? by jonbellion(m): 6:03am On Dec 04, 2016
EyeHateGod:

Does this Change the Fact that you stole A culture? And please what is beautiful about the Sunday that doesn't apply to every other days of the week?
most of them know nothing about thier religion. when I see churches with Christmas trees it makes me laugh
Probably why JWs reject the holiday completely

1 Like

Re: Do you think atheists should celebrate Christmas? by frank317: 7:04am On Dec 04, 2016
The beauty of atheism... We do anything we like as long as it makes us and people around us happy.

I will definitely have my fun this Xmas. I will see friends and relatives,i will hang out and travel and I will still not give a f.ck about a dead Jew... Life will still go on and the important thing will be.. I had fun.

1 Like

Re: Do you think atheists should celebrate Christmas? by Earth2Metahuman: 7:56am On Dec 04, 2016
The reason for the season is Santa claus

Let's share the gift and celebrate with our family..
Re: Do you think atheists should celebrate Christmas? by orisa37: 8:09am On Dec 04, 2016
Yes. Christmas is "Ariya" for every body.
Re: Do you think atheists should celebrate Christmas? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Dec 04, 2016
what the hell is atheist? or christmas first i would like to know what an atheist or atheist and christmas means before i can comment or judge if they should celebrate christmas.

and why does atheist or atheism sounds like some thing bad, horrible or bad, horrible people to some sanctimoniously high morally Righteous so called christians. ciao! grin
Re: Do you think atheists should celebrate Christmas? by tollyboy5(m): 1:17pm On Dec 04, 2016
every one celebrate Christmass it for every body even Muslim kill chicken in my area since its called odun

(1) (Reply)

Why Do We Do This? / Rhapsody Of Realities Daily Devotional For Today / Who Wants To Be A Prophet?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.