Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,787 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:08 AM

Garba Shehu: Sanusi Discussing Issues He Has No Facts On - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Garba Shehu: Sanusi Discussing Issues He Has No Facts On (487 Views)

You Have No Facts, Presidency Replies Sanusi / BBNaija: Garba Shehu Reacts To Efe's Victory / Garba Shehu: Sanusi Discussing Issues He Has No Facts On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Garba Shehu: Sanusi Discussing Issues He Has No Facts On by Nancy42(m): 12:20pm On Dec 04, 2016
Garba Shehu, senior special assistant to the president on media and publicity, says Sanusi Lamido
Sanusi, emir of Kano and former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), has been
discussing matters he has no facts on.
On Friday, while speaking at a policy monitoring dialogue in Abuja hosted by Savannah Centre for
Diplomacy, Democracy and Development, Sanusi had accused the apex bank of illegal lending to
federal government , saying: “The problem of the current government is not having the right policies
to fix the current economic woes.
“The CBN-FGN relationship is no longer independent. In fact, one could argue their relationship has
become unhealthy.
“CBN claims on the FGN now tops N4.7 trillion — equal to almost 50% of the FGN’s total domestic
debt. This is a clear violation of the Central Bank Act of 2007 (Section 38.2) which caps advances to
the FGN at 5% of last year’s revenues. Has CBN become the government’s lender of last or first
resort?”
He said no one was willing to lend money to the Nigerian government, further stating that “if
senate approved, I want to see who will lend you $30billion when you have five exchange rates”.
But responding on Saturday night via his official Twitter account, Shehu said the government had
only drawn an excess of N1.5trn from the CBN, not N4.5trn as claimed by Sanusi.
“With every respect to the Emir, you know he is my ruler, because I’m from Kano. He doesn’t have his
facts as far as those issues are concerned,” he said.
“The issue in CBN, that government has overdrawn its Central Consolidated Account is true, but the
overdrawing is within limits.
“The overdraw does not exceed 1.5 trillion. It is incorrect to say, as he did that the account was
overdrawn by 4.5 trillion.
“But even assuming that he was correct. This is a govt that has money in excess the amount he
mentioned in the Treasury Single Account,
“It is just like you, a bank customer operating two accounts, one in the red & the other, well funded
to the point that it can at any time wipe the indebtedness on the other. Would any bank manager
lose their sleep over this?
“This, I am told is what the IMF found at the CBN and they said it is perfectly normal.
As for his opposition to the USD 30 billion loan, I’am aware that the Minister of Finance is
responding to that.
“As a private citizen, I want to read his statement again.
“I thought that the borrowing is for projects that include the railway development in Kano, his own
city.”

https://www.thecable.ng/.WEP41igKv0g.twitter
Re: Garba Shehu: Sanusi Discussing Issues He Has No Facts On by Young03(m): 12:21pm On Dec 04, 2016
undecided
Re: Garba Shehu: Sanusi Discussing Issues He Has No Facts On by Jafar1: 12:32pm On Dec 04, 2016
this space is not for sale
Re: Garba Shehu: Sanusi Discussing Issues He Has No Facts On by abdul4new(m): 12:51pm On Dec 04, 2016
Buhari is a joke , and his economic policy is a disaster The Emir has more experience and he is more learn than all the incompetent fools that surrounded him playing gamble with our economy. He should listen to the Emir Sanusi instead of castigating the messenger.....infact i cant wait for 2019.......

Re: Garba Shehu: Sanusi Discussing Issues He Has No Facts On by Alanzazani: 1:04pm On Dec 04, 2016
abdul4new:
Buhari is a joke , and his economic policy is a disaster he is surrounded by incompetent advisers. He should listen to the Emir Sanusi instead of castigating the messenger.....infact i cant wait for 2019.......

i saw an earlier post of yours on may 24th 2015. you had high hopes like many others about promises this government was bandying. i admire you for your courage for being able to acknowledge this government has failed us all woefully. i am waiting with you for 2019 let us make sure we defend our votes and give our mandate to a worthy president
Re: Garba Shehu: Sanusi Discussing Issues He Has No Facts On by abdul4new(m): 1:07pm On Dec 04, 2016
Alanzazani:

i saw an earlier post of yours on may 24th 2015. you had high hopes like many others about promises this government was bandying. i admire you for your courage for being able to acknowledge this government has failed us all woefully. i am waiting with you for 2019 let us make sure we defend our votes and give our mandate to a worthy president
Buhari has disappointed us and 2019 we shall surely do the needful...

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Gov. Fayose Cries Foul Over FG Wicked Taxes Increase / CPJ: Journalist Arrests In 2016 At 30-year High / JUST IN: No Girls Were Released; We Are Only Just Negotiating- Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.