Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,571 members, 7,801,632 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:50 PM

????????? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / ????????? (2223 Views)

Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots / We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

????????? by JMAN91(m): 1:42am On Nov 11, 2009
Re: ????????? by africhika(f): 2:14am On Nov 11, 2009
what a coincidence. i'm writing a series of articles about the growing interest of AA to trace their roots. i'm a journalist.

i've spoken with nearly 100 AAs over 2 weeks who have been researching their genealogy. what state do you live in? nearly every state has genealogical societies for blacks. they'll teach you how to start. i've spoken with AAs who've been able to trace back to the 1700s with official documents (national census records, birth/death certificates, marriage documents, slave owner's wills, property rights, etc.)

it's cool that your interested. let me know if you'd like to read the first article in the series i'm writing so u can get some tips. it will be published online tomorrow.
Re: ????????? by JMAN91(m): 2:22am On Nov 11, 2009
?
Re: ????????? by xreal: 6:24am On Nov 11, 2009
that's a good step to take - know your root man.
Re: ????????? by 1forall: 8:33am On Nov 11, 2009
Way to go. If only u knew nigeria and its people you wouldnt worry about being accepted cos the answer to your question is an emphatic YES. Nigerians are known and said to be very hospitable and accomodating people so feel free to come visiting when youre ready.
Re: ????????? by throttler(f): 4:10pm On Nov 11, 2009
1forall:

Way to go. If only u knew nigeria and its people you wouldnt worry about being accepted cos the answer to your question is an emphatic YES. Nigerians are known and said to be very hospitable and accomodating people so feel free to come visiting when youre ready.

well said.
Re: ????????? by Outstrip(f): 3:26am On Nov 12, 2009
Good for you. Keep us in the loop on your journey.
Re: ????????? by dealordea(m): 3:27am On Nov 12, 2009
can i know u?am online now maybe we can have a chat, jone2002ys@yahoo.com
Re: ????????? by topup: 3:32am On Nov 12, 2009
Any positive movement towards becoming 'rooted' is great. It's worth understanding why you feel 'lost' though, is it through your parents lack of understanding of their culture or is it because of your environment, really be honest with yourself, is it external or internal, is it an inner feeling or are you fully sure, it is purely because you don't eat African food, can't cook it, can't speak the language etc. but you look like an African or like someone who is black??

What's getting you down, narrow down the root of the cause, because I would hate for you to do something rash like move into the depths of Africa to only feel like you don't belong again, it's not too late to become rooted, anyone can, you just need the right approach and the right mentality, willingness to learn, willingness to persevere (sp?), willingness to make mistakes and make corrections to those mistakes also matter greatly.

You are not alone, you are attached to us, as we are all attached to one another, African, non-Africans alike, we are all human being, and we all speak the same language of wanting-to-belong.

Are you close with your family, do you have siblings, how do you relate to your family, is there a place or person you can go to find out more about your direct (not necessarily your historical) heritage.

After you've figured out what is the source of this feeling, you can begin taking courses in language, dance and history, finding like-minded people, maybe travel and live in different places in the world, and really defining for yourself what it means to be you, and if that means it's your direct heritage then fine, if that means your future legacy in any family you create, then that's fine too, just do what feels right, and know that you're not alone.
Re: ????????? by JMAN91(m): 3:48am On Nov 12, 2009
?
Re: ????????? by africhika(f): 6:45am On Nov 12, 2009
JMAN, there's an AA genealogy society in VA. it's a big one.

first start by joining that group. they'll teach u how to trace ur family genealogy. the research does take time.

secondly, if you want shortcut, do a DNA sample test for $300. it's really popular nowadays. africanancestry.com has the largest database of DNA samplings of indigenous africans. celebrites are now doing this: oprah, danny glover, forest witaker, chris rock, chris tucker, t.d. jakes

DNA will give you an idea of what ethnic groups in africa share some of ur DNA.
Re: ????????? by lostgirl: 10:58am On Nov 12, 2009
Did you know that there is a specialized DNA test that you can have done that can assist you in your quest? I don't know exactly what it is called but i know that lots of people are having it done on their quests to find the true ancestry. Your DNA is collected and compared to samples form all around the world. This helps you narrow your search.
Re: ????????? by JMAN91(m): 7:45pm On Nov 13, 2009
?
Re: ????????? by africhika(f): 10:38pm On Nov 13, 2009
africanancestry.com actually tells you what ethnic group u may be from.
other DNA testing company just tell u what continent u may be from.

let me know if u want a link to my article. it tells how some folks got started in their roots search.
Re: ????????? by agathamari(f): 12:36pm On Nov 14, 2009
i suggest you contact national geographic. hear me out. they are doing a project i dont know if there is a fee involved but you can have your DNA tested and they will give you a detailed listing of the genetic markers of your DNA which can be used to trace your roots to a particular group of people. all regions of the world have specific genetic markers in them. only hitch though. men can only find out thier male relatives and women thier femal relatives due to the nature of the dna profile. its called the genographic project and you can order it from thier website. this is your best bet for finding out because otherwise your only guessing
Re: ????????? by JCzAr(m): 7:57pm On Nov 14, 2009
Lost sheep finding her way home grin
Re: ????????? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Nov 17, 2009
I checked http://africanancestry.com/

Most AA are from Nigeria  shocked
Re: ????????? by KB1(m): 5:23am On Nov 19, 2009
I don't know why some of you'all are acting so surprised that most of us AA are of Nigerian descent, because I've been telling you this ever since I first came on this board as Hero years back. Beyond just being of Nigerian descent, studies have pinpointed the fact of that the majority of us are SE Nigerian ethnic descent and more specifically Igbo descent. Nearly 60% of us are fully so and or of some significant amount of Igbo descent, making us the second largest holders of Igbo descent in the world behind the Nigerian Igbo population itself.
Re: ????????? by agathamari(f): 4:22pm On Nov 19, 2009
KB1:

I don't know why some of you'all are acting so surprised that most of us AA are of Nigerian descent, because I've been telling you this ever since I first came on this board as Hero years back. Beyond just being of Nigerian descent, studies have pinpointed the fact of that the majority of us are SE Nigerian ethnic descent and more specifically Igbo descent. Nearly 60% of us are fully so and or of some significant amount of Igbo descent, making us the second largest holders of Igbo descent in the world behind the Nigerian Igbo population itself.
just because MOST are nigerian doesnt mean all are. this poster seems to want to find out EXACTLY where he is from and obviously already has the general knowledge of most slaves were brough from the nigerian area
Re: ????????? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Nov 19, 2009
KB1:

you should limit yourself to Virginia when you make claims of this nature.

And most slaves were[b] NOT[/b] brought from Nigeria. You can say during a particular time frame certain slave ships travelled between Nigeria and Virginia plus a couple of other states. Thats the version you prefer so stick with that.

however, when your DNA gospel gets busted we'll see which other part of Africa gets the spotlight.
Re: ????????? by Nwaka77: 9:30pm On Nov 22, 2009
KB1:

I beg, stop lying! Enough already. angry
Re: ????????? by davidif: 7:10am On Nov 23, 2009
poster and kb1
If you want to find out your roots, i think they have DNA test for African Americans in the USA to discover there roots. I saw an amazing show on PBS a couple of years ago about it and it was incredible.
Re: ????????? by africhika(f): 8:17pm On Nov 24, 2009
Re: ????????? by Afam4eva(m): 2:33pm On Nov 26, 2009
Nwaka77:

I beg, stop lying! Enough already. angry

Pls educate yourself.
Re: ????????? by finemocha(f): 2:36pm On Nov 26, 2009
hey @ poster

look up AFRICAN AMERICAN ROOTS PROJECT. they can tell u where ur from "technically"
Re: ????????? by NegroNtns(m): 7:08pm On Dec 01, 2009
Africhika, I have an authentic story line for you to do research on if you are interested. Get with me.
Re: ????????? by NegroNtns(m): 7:09pm On Dec 01, 2009

(1) (Reply)

Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native / Unclad Girls, Flood The Set With Unclad Girls Joor - My Arguable opinion / "MY LIFE", By Ahmadu Bello

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.