Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,097 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:09 AM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (110) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (682193 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 1:03am On Sep 16, 2017
@Nuzo1 As i earlier mentioned here, the problem we all face is a mentality problem... and the chances of overcoming it are quite slim if i choose to be realistic here, no sugarcoating words. There's a lot to say but at the end, it all boils down to the mentality.

Leaving a good job in a sane/forward thinking society for an Ok one here beats me lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by otokx(m): 8:35am On Sep 16, 2017
@Nuzo1 keep hope alive and do not despair, Nigeria will be saved.

@GloryIsaac we have no other country to call ours but Nigeria, over there the color of your skin, accent of your tongue and finally your name gives you away as an outsider.

7 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 3:19pm On Sep 16, 2017
GloryIsaac:
@Nuzo1 As i earlier mentioned here, the problem we all face is a mentality problem... and the chances of overcoming it are quite slim if i choose to be realistic here, no sugarcoating words. There's a lot to say but at the end, it all boils down to the mentality.

Leaving a good job in a sane/forward thinking society for an Ok one here beats me lipsrsealed
Hmmm....the problem?...lots of problems!... but no doubt...the biggest problem is that of mentality!
But then in your last sentence you as well have the same problem..... cannot see that he has left a sane/forward thinking society to develop his own....didn't the ehmmm..... bell of patriotism ring in your ears?!

5 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 3:54pm On Sep 16, 2017
Originalsly:
Hmmm....the problem?...lots of problems!... but no doubt...the biggest problem is that of mentality!
But then in your last sentence you as well have the same problem..... cannot see that he has left a sane/forward thinking society to develop his own....didn't the ehmmm..... bell of patriotism ring in your ears?!

What exactly are you being patriotic about?...

Side question -> Is Innoson patriotic?

Pls don't be sentimental when answering this, and check out the meaning of patriotism (Ain't throwing shades ooooo, so don't see it from a different angle)
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Beautyaddy: 4:06pm On Sep 16, 2017
otokx:

@GloryIsaac we have no other country to call ours but Nigeria, over there the color of your skin, accent of your tongue and finally your name gives you away as an outsider.

Lol!!Nice wishful thinking. And how's that going to happen?

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ugosample(m): 4:20pm On Sep 16, 2017
Nice...
The thread is moving.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 4:43pm On Sep 16, 2017
otokx:

@First sentence, ain't just about hoping Bro. Been hoping since 1960, is the Country moving forward or backward?. Which is better, The Nigeria of 1960 or The Nigeria of 2017? (In as much as we hate to accept it, i hate to accept it too. Colonialism played a big role in the development of Nigeria and Africa as a whole, it had its big disadvantages though but it's positive effects cannot be overlooked).....What's being done to get out of the mess?, Even those that have attempted in their own lil way to help are either suppressed or eliminated because you're definitely going to step on big toes on the way to redemption. For militant groups to be raised in order to destabilize and overthrow sitting governments shows you how deep in sh!t the nation is. There's more to say but ponder on this first. smiley

Being seen as a foreigner doesn't make them hinder you from accessing the benefits of living and working in a sane society as long as you adding something positive to it.

10 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 6:09pm On Sep 16, 2017
GloryIsaac:

What exactly are you being patriotic about?...

Side question -> Is Innoson patriotic?

Pls don't be sentimental when answering this, and check out the meaning of patriotism (Ain't throwing shades ooooo, so don't see it from a different angle)
Noooo!...only a small mind will think you're throwing shades!... even if...I'm good at dodging!
Innoson patriotic?.... maybe!.... but if you buy an Innoson car priced the same as a Toyota of the same class then most likely it is because of patriotism.
Him being patriotic about the development of his fatherland... doing what he can to improve the standards of his people.... his country.

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 9:25pm On Sep 16, 2017
Originalsly:
Noooo!...only a small mind will think you're throwing shades!... even if...I'm good at dodging!
Innoson patriotic?.... maybe!.... but if you buy an Innoson car priced the same as a Toyota of the same class then most likely it is because of patriotism.
Him being patriotic about the development of his fatherland... doing what he can to improve the standards of his people.... his country.

grin grin grin Love the sense of humor, the e-warriors would most likely misunderstand and turn here to a battleground cheesy......

Innoson can easily be classified as one of the most patriotic ones in the country, your explanation of patriotism confirms this, even though you left out the part about being ready to defend the nation against enemies, hope you'll be ready to pick up arms for Nigeria if the need arises? #No be by mouth o# go look at the life of Nigerian soldiers before answering this, how they are treated and how their families are treated in case they kick the bucket during active service.....

What I'm pointing at using Innoson as a case study is that despite his patriotism, not much is being done to give him a stronghold in the Nigerian market, which if successful can transcend to the African market. Go through any Innoson thread on NL and read the comments there (@tdayof, thanks for the effort made at enlightening the ignorant folks), only few actually support him, which is based on/because of same tribe stuff. The general excuse/reason is based on durability and its price being affordable (of course, we're already diehard supporters of 2nd, 3rd and 4th Hand cars, Hurricane Harvey and Irma cars etc.) so we hardly know the true value of brand new cars cheesy. Quite a good number of things contribute to the price of IVM cars (Electricity at the very top), which if looked into can be taken care of by the government but no, they too busy devising how they're will win the next election (https://www.nairaland.com/4060229/apc-membership-hits-15.2-million#60545027).. smh...

Now, look at a situation where Innoson started in a western country, do you think the case will be the same?

Check this link
https://www.thebalance.com/auto-industry-bailout-gm-ford-chrysler-3305670

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ugosample(m): 8:09am On Sep 17, 2017
GloryIsaac:

grin grin grin Love the sense of humor, the e-warriors would most likely misunderstand and turn here to a battleground cheesy......

Innoson can easily be classified as one of the most patriotic ones in the country, your explanation of patriotism confirms this, even though you left out the part about being ready to defend the nation against enemies, hope you'll be ready to pick up arms for Nigeria if the need arises? #No be by mouth o# go look at the life of Nigerian soldiers before answering this, how they are treated and how their families are treated in case they kick the bucket during active service.....

What I'm pointing at using Innoson as a case study is that despite his patriotism, not much is being done to give him a stronghold in the Nigerian market, which if successful can transcend to the African market. Go through any Innoson thread on NL and read the comments there, only few actually support him, which is based on/because of same tribe stuff. The general excuse/reason is based on durability and its price being affordable (of course, we're already diehard supporters of 2nd, 3rd and 4th Hand cars, Hurricane Harvey and Irma cars etc.) so we hardly know the true value of brand new cars cheesy. Quite a good number of things contribute to the price of IVM cars (Electricity at the very top), which if looked into can be taken care of by the government but no, they too busy devising how they're will win the next election.. smh...

Now, look at a situation where Innoson started in a western country, do you think the case will be the same?

Check this link
https://www.thebalance.com/auto-industry-bailout-gm-ford-chrysler-3305670

It's a shame.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 10:26am On Sep 17, 2017
@GloryIsaac. ...hmmmm.... I don't know about picking up arms...nor joining army...I'm allergic to blindly following orders! ...so guess what will happen if I have a weapon and you the commander have a weapon and you be shouting orders at me?! Now about the enemy..... our enemies are all internal... the biggest ones sitting in the seats of government....regardless of party... they are our worse enemies....the ones that are having us move one step forward then two steps backwards as a nation. And who put them in power?...we the people!
Innoson.... the first and only serious indigenous auto assembly plant for Nigeria... how can a government not support the development of a local industry? In any other country.... Innoson would've been shielded from competition and given incentives to develop.... and cost of their vehicles subsidized to make it attractive and affordable for locals to patronize. Any imported auto would be hit with high tariff. Did they do that?....nooo....what did they do?....happily allow established foreign car companies to come and set up shop here....and that's a biggg setback for Innoson. Again...our biggest enemies are in the seats of government.... most unpatriotic... infact..traitors. So should I pick up arms to fight the enemies... you should know who would be in the cross hairs.
BTW...you think FrankNetter is in the toilet this long?!

12 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 1:42pm On Sep 17, 2017
Originalsly:
@GloryIsaac. ...hmmmm.... I don't know about picking up arms...nor joining army...I'm allergic to blindly following orders! ...so guess what will happen if I have a weapon and you the commander have a weapon and you be shouting orders at me?! Now about the enemy..... our enemies are all internal... the biggest ones sitting in the seats of government....regardless of party... they are our worse enemies....the ones that are having us move one step forward then two steps backwards as a nation. And who put them in power?...we the people!
Innoson.... the first and only serious indigenous auto assembly plant for Nigeria... how can a government not support the development of a local industry? In any other country.... Innoson would've been shielded from competition and given incentives to develop.... and cost of their vehicles subsidized to make it attractive and affordable for locals to patronize. Any imported auto would be hit with high tariff. Did they do that?....nooo....what did they do?....happily allow established foreign car companies to come and set up shop here....and that's a biggg setback for Innoson. Again...our biggest enemies are in the seats of government.... most unpatriotic... infact..traitors. So should I pick up arms to fight the enemies... you should know who would be in the cross hairs.

Exactly, now you get my point on the patriotism aspect cheesy...

That guy's absence is tiring shaa sad, does he also flip stuff on a holy day

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Beautyaddy: 6:54pm On Sep 17, 2017
Originalsly:

Very nice and thoughtful post.

However, I'm beginning to accept that it's a black man curse to not patronize or see anything of worth to support in another black race. Nigeria is not the only African country dealing with this cursed mentality...other African countries as well are facing the same ordeal.

5 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by guiddoti: 5:12pm On Sep 18, 2017
The founding fathers have caused a whole of shit, our generation bear their shit.
Political class have no idea; electorate follow suit like sheep with no Shepherd. The head is sick, the whole lump is sick.
God give patriotic leaders the idea and vision of restructuring today's challenges and send those unpatriotic leaders out of high places.

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 1:46am On Sep 19, 2017
PDPGuy:
Chai. Some Nigerian women are just incredible grin
https://www.nairaland.com/4054684/girl-replies-guy-facebook-after

Franknetter, see what you were complaining about a while ago.

This is a typical example of how sugar ants think grin grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 1:48am On Sep 19, 2017
tescoman90:

Don't tell me say na your gist be this

Bro, calm down. There's a reason this thread is in/on travel section. Na my life be this, this isn't some literary work of fiction.

13 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 1:50am On Sep 19, 2017
lolawilliams:
Franknetter, there's a lot of misconceptions about Africa. Most of the time, i'm always irritated by the ignorance of some people but with time, i got used to it.

I've seen people who thinks africa is a country, people who think all African live in the desert with a dung hut. I have a Cameroonian male friend who told me about someone asking him if he has wild animals like tiger or gorilla as pet before coming to the states.

I think the media has been a real disaster when it comes to Africa bevause they only show the deserts, people starving and animals everywhere. I have a friend who think Africa looks just exactly as what was shown in French Montana's Unforgettable video. It's just too funny

Yeah, the ignorance is so appalling.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by timidapsin(m): 2:41am On Sep 19, 2017
Which day I go meet this Franknetter online in this thread. undecided
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by barondmoni: 3:27pm On Sep 19, 2017
Tomorrow
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by holatunde1759(m): 5:22pm On Sep 19, 2017
timidapsin:

hehehe monitoring spirit.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by youngcash99(m): 1:21am On Sep 22, 2017
He get job nah
timidapsin:
He get job nah

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by rennylaw(m): 9:13am On Sep 22, 2017
FrankNetter:
Update

When I engage in conversations with persons who were born here and I tell them, with a smile on my face, that life is easy here, they look at me some type of way. They don't know how easy they have it over here, you wake up every morning, light dey, water dey, food dey, job dey, nobody is owing you salary, school dey, any level of education you want to get to, you can; plus by virtue of being a USA citizen, you have visa free access to more than 170 countries. Most of them take these things for granted, some have never even been to Canada.
I've met some ignorant people, I've had some ignorant questions thrown at me.
One time, I was having a conversation with one lady at my job, when one other dude jumped in and asked me, "hey obi, do you guys have toilets in Africa? I heard you have to dig the ground to take a _shit". The question cracked me up a lot, I doubled up in laughter and couldn't stop.

Most persons think africa is one big underdeveloped jungle, where we jump around half naked, with sticks and stones.

Being away from my medical books for so long, I've begun to feel like a cave man. grin
These CNA classes I'm taking right now has shown me how much I've forgotten, in a way it has helped me, I find myself squeezing in time to read once more. See me, that was bristling with knowledge, naming enzymes, biochemical pathways, courses of arteries etc etc struggling to remember, struggling to recollect. The knowledge is still there, I find it hard to regurgitate them though, but they pop up when I try hard enough.

=============================================================

As I was saying earlier, the Government takes care of everything and everyone. that's why they go after anyone who doesn't pay their taxes. In Nigeria, you're basically on your own, worse still if you have a Physical disability. Here in the USA, the government takes care of people who are disabled and cannot work at any job, they call it social security. You get a paycheck from the government every month, coupled with Home Health services: a program where someone would come in and take care of you through out the day.

Over here, people would gladly accept to be called disabled, looking at it objectively, they get a lot of free stuff from the government. So, what's there to be ashamed about?

@franknetter, I have been following your thread religiously ever since you started and I must say that it is quite educating.

Talking about this post, if the US government takes care of its citizens why do they have homeless people on the streets? One of your posts on Instagram shows a beggar inside traffic why can't the government extend social security to these people?

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lillaowow(m): 10:52pm On Sep 23, 2017
FrankNetter, wetin be that app wey you take find Football hangout aroung you. I dey find around me
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 6:36pm On Sep 26, 2017
lillaowow:
FrankNetter, wetin be that app wey you take find Football hangout aroung you. I dey find around me

Meetups
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 6:37pm On Sep 26, 2017
rennylaw:

@franknetter, I have been following your thread religiously ever since you started and I must say that it is quite educating.

Talking about this post, if the US government takes care of its citizens why do they have homeless people on the streets? One of your posts on Instagram shows a beggar inside traffic why can't the government extend social security to these people?

That's an interesting question bro. I'll make some enquiries and get back to you. It should be noted that most of these people are drug addicts who are on the streets seeking for easy money for their next high.
Most of these drugs are so addictive, you can't just get off the train once you get on.

For reference, check out this guy's story:
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/9ohdc/2_weeks_ago_i_tried_heroin_once_for_fun_and_made/

www.reddit.com/u/SpontaneousH

10 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by CockpitSense: 11:29pm On Sep 26, 2017
Hehehe

I can't believe I read this thread from page 0-109 .. grin
Kudos to you FrankNetter,you are one lucky,highly-favoured dude. By God's grace,I'm also coming down there soon. As a young guy,being an only son,I feel I have to make a headway for myself and get my family out of our present situation. But unfortunately, the leaders of this country have sold out the success of this nation, they've turned the country into a Topsy-Turvy state,they've buried the entitlements of we the young generation like landmines,they've made the country a laughing stock and an epitome of mediocrity.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Lasses,if you have the opportunity of leaving this third world hellhole called Nigeria, please do so at the drop of a hat. Do not hesitate. Go to where your hard work will be rewarded adequately, where the government care about you and give you everything you deserve as a human being ranging from Electricity to Education, Jobs to Housing and etcetera.

Like the common adage says,"Opportunity comes but once" . So grab the opportunity and make a better lives for yourselves. But please do so legally. Hold on to God and the rest is history.

Frankie nice thread... keep updating us.. don't stop grin

16 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 3:47am On Sep 27, 2017
GloryIsaac:

Exactly, now you get my point on the patriotism aspect cheesy...

That guy's absence is tiring shaa sad, does he also flip stuff on a holy day

Nothing like holy day for yankee grin. I work everyday

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by qhutetomsel(f): 7:09am On Sep 27, 2017
lolawilliams:
Franknetter, there's a lot of misconceptions about Africa. Most of the time, i'm always irritated by the ignorance of some people but with time, i got used to it.

I've seen people who thinks africa is a country, people who think all African live in the desert with a dung hut. I have a Cameroonian male friend who told me about someone asking him if he has wild animals like tiger or gorilla as pet before coming to the states.

I think the media has been a real disaster when it comes to Africa bevause they only show the deserts, people starving and animals everywhere. I have a friend who think Africa looks just exactly as what was shown in French Montana's Unforgettable video. It's just too funny
I agree to this. Many times I've tried to convince people that Africa is a continent and not a country. I guess they don't emphasize on learning the continents in the world in their education system than they do in schools in africa undecided.
I had a a black guy who was listening to my youth pastor tell us about his trip to somewhere in Africa(can't remember the country) and the next thing this guy asked was "did you see monkeys there"? shocked we were all shocked at his ignorance, then the white man replied and said he didn't see any. I was so glad the reply was coming from a white man.
Its gonna be hard changing the mentality of Africa the white people have tbh.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Godson201333(m): 8:52am On Sep 27, 2017
rennylaw:

Talking from experience,I have seen different continent so far and America government aint that responsible the way people think.The good thing about USA is that it is a land of opportunity.You cannot blame the US Government also,This is a country that got free market (Capitalism).Even though i love USA so much,I just do not know why i Love the Scandinavians and some other advanced European countries more,Well because they are far ahead of other countries in every aspect of life.start from Equality,quality of life,Education,Health care,Infrastructure,Emancipation,Feminism,Racism.I think if a country can have all these points,Then its a perfect system. A country that take care of it citizens will never leave its own people Hanging or suffering.America is a good place to be, if you wanna make money,But a Foreigner like Nigerians seeking greener pasture will never consider those points that i listed because we all got our focus on money.So Bro forget the beggars you see anywhere on the street of America and work your ass off out there to make a better living.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 10:48pm On Sep 27, 2017
smiley
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 11:03pm On Sep 27, 2017
FrankNetter:

shocked that's weird af...
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Beautyaddy: 11:14pm On Sep 27, 2017
FrankNetter:

Lol!! You're still young...enjoy working at that pace while it last. cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.