Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:43 AM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (149) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (682177 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lyrondee: 1:35am On May 22, 2018
hiawathia1981:

Ok. Thanks for clarifying. I think you should look into what the requirements are for the exam as well as for your license. As far as the CNA exam question, I will defer to Franknetter, although it seems he has taken his leave of the thread.
Can I PM you ma?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 3:13am On May 22, 2018
lyrondee:

Can I PM you ma?

Just post your questions here. Thanks

9 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 9:08am On May 22, 2018
hiawathia1981:

Just post your questions here. Thanks
Ha
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 6:05pm On May 22, 2018
Elfmannisback:

Ha

Troublemaker spotted
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 6:15pm On May 22, 2018
hiawathia1981:

Troublemaker spotted
grin
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Lhimeet(m): 2:29am On May 23, 2018
I just can't leave this thread

Went back to read from Page 0 again

Everybody has a story to tell, may God allow us overcome our tribulation & share our testimonies...
smiley

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Lhimeet(m): 2:42am On May 23, 2018
BTW update your IG..

Too many cobwebs there already @Franknetter grin

@Chiefheywhy

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Fish123(m): 5:57pm On May 23, 2018
Lhimeet:
I just can't leave this thread

Went back to read from Page 0 again

Everybody has a story to tell, may God allow us overcome our tribulation & share our testimonies...
smiley
Amen broda...........
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 12:04am On May 24, 2018
Update coming shortly. Make una no vex. grin

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 12:35am On May 24, 2018
Holocene:

Hey take it easy. I didnt mean it as you think i did, just trying to tie the loose ends. Kpele

I ve been thinking. I said I wasnt going to ask but now I will bite. I cant help myself, guess thats the introvert in me.
What loose ends are you referring to?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 12:38am On May 24, 2018
FrankNetter:

Sigh of relief. Where have you been?

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Holocene(m): 12:44am On May 24, 2018
hiawathia1981:

I ve been thinking. I said I wasnt going to ask but now I will bite. I cant help myself, guess thats the introvert in me.
What loose ends are you referring to?

The loose neurons in my brain. I believe someone gave you a hard time in another thread and now you think i wanna do same crap. I aint like that
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 12:48am On May 24, 2018
Holocene:

The loose neurons in my brain. I believe someone gave you a hard time in another thread and now you think i wanna do same crap. I aint like that

Ok. I got it.
I havent had any problems that I recall, but thanks.
Take care.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by daamazing(m): 12:50am On May 24, 2018
Phew.. Page 0 - current page. Worth the read, the while, and the journey. Wish I could relieve it, you know... Clear the entire story of my head and re-read. Franknetter, good job and good luck!

My wishes will come true cool

so help me God

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 11:58am On May 24, 2018
Anyone who is an avid reader of novels should get that book. In a world of Stephen Kings, Nora Roberts and Robert Ludlums, Khaleed Hosseini’s style is like a breath of fresh air.

They never backed down; the severity of the rumors just kept increasing. But I didn’t pay them no attention. I came to work, did my job and left, nothing extra. I checked out more thrift stores and got even more books. I occupied my downtime with more and more books.

Then the “attacks” started becoming personal. My coworkers started progressively being rude and i noticed a communal vendetta towards me; when making the daily schedule, they would try as much as possible to give me the hardest set of residents to take care of, knowing I wouldn’t speak up. They tried everything to get a response from me, i refused to give them the pleasure of seeing that happen. Each day I was to come to work, I’d brace myself for the onslaught. They got tired, progressively, they moved on to something more “interesting”; the knowing glances and inside jokes ceased. They ran out of steam.

One thing I learned from the ordeal was never to let your emotions get in the way of your job, ever. If I had caved in and showed these piglets any emotions (anger, sadness etc) or a sign of weakness, they would have gladly exploited it. Secondly, I realized that these people who could so gladly and willingly smile in my face and then go behind my back to say these vile stuff should be kept at a distance and that’s what I’ve been doing since then.

—�—�—�—�—�—�—�—�—�—�—�—�—�—�

I’m vigorously preparing for the placement tests which would determine the classes I would enrol. While the English placement doesn’t bug me one bit, the math placement test is weighing heavy on my mind. I can’t remember when last I did college algebra and all that stuff, but I’m watching YouTube videos and brushing up slowly and steadily grin

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 4:13pm On May 24, 2018
FrankNetter:
Anyone who is an avid reader of novels should get that book. In a world of Stephen Kings, Nora Roberts and Robert Ludlums, Khaleed Hosseini’s style is like a breath of fresh air.

They never backed down; the severity of the rumors just kept increasing. But I didn’t pay them no attention. I came to work, did my job and left, nothing extra. I checked out more thrift stores and got even more books. I occupied my downtime with more and more books.

Then the “attacks” started becoming personal. My coworkers started progressively being rude and i noticed a communal vendetta towards me; when making the daily schedule, they would try as much as possible to give me the hardest set of residents to take care of, knowing I wouldn’t speak up. They tried everything to get a response from me, i refused to give them the pleasure of seeing that happen. Each day I was to come to work, I’d brace myself for the onslaught. They got tired, progressively, they moved on to something more “interesting”; the knowing glances and inside jokes ceased. They ran out of steam.

One thing I learned from the ordeal was never to let your emotions get in the way of your job, ever. If I had caved in and showed these piglets any emotions (anger, sadness etc) or a sign of weakness, they would have gladly exploited it. Secondly, I realized that these people who could so gladly and willingly smile in my face and then go behind my back to say these vile stuff should be kept at a distance and that’s what I’ve been doing since then.

I’m vigorously preparing for the placement tests which would determine the classes I would enrol. While the English placement doesn’t bug me one bit, the math placement test is weighing heavy on my mind. I can’t remember when last I did college algebra and all that stuff, but I’m watching YouTube videos and brushing up slowly and steadily grin

I could pass you my college algebra textbook and quizzes when im done with them if u want. You will have to wait, summer session just started

5 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Dremca(m): 4:34pm On May 24, 2018
Try Alison, they have a well prepaid curriculum for that.
FrankNetter:

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 5:00pm On May 24, 2018
@ Dremca

Hey friend...
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Dremca(m): 5:02pm On May 24, 2018
Hello friend, how are you doing.
hiawathia1981:
@ Dremca

Hey friend...
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by SkinnyNigga: 9:51pm On May 24, 2018
You did well. Bro Give no ears to ndi asiri
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 9:56pm On May 24, 2018
Dremca:
Hello friend, how are you doing.

Work,work,work...
Im good, thank you.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Holocene(m): 4:38pm On May 25, 2018
FrankNetter:

Those placement test are quire easy if you had a good science backgroud in naija. I would advise you look up on quizlett.com. They have a broad range of topics and subjects to keep you in top form.
I guess you will be resuming during Fall if everything goes as planned.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Lhimeet(m): 12:28am On May 26, 2018
FrankNetter:
Vex? In fact I dey wait your update both on Twitter & IG grin grin
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Lhimeet(m): 12:32am On May 26, 2018
FrankNetter:
Whatever you post wont stop me from living my life in a perfectly, wonderfully sane and beautiful society. You might as well keep your opinions to yourself. Or... wait.. there's something better: Why don't you write it on a clean sheet of paper, fold it carefully, and shove it up your butthole. grin grin
I just clicked like for this.. Now 30 likes grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Lhimeet(m): 12:34am On May 26, 2018
MISTAICEY02288:
The houses in my area somewhere in Duluth Georgia
Your IG Id grin
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Lhimeet(m): 12:39am On May 26, 2018
TWoods:

What system? I've lived here 12 years and have not felt trapped by the system.

I often feel that the Nigerians who live here and yet rail against the "system" here are mostly those who either did not fully assimilate into the country, allow their inferiority complex to marginalize them or simply were not able to succeed in the system. My brother, cousins and i are making it quite well in corporate America and not a single one of us will contemplate spending one night in Nigeria if it can be helped. No system is perfect, but you cannot convince me that Nigeria holds any value to anyone who appreciates real living (as against merely existing).

Its easy to speak from your perch. You will always have an American passport to allow you to escape back to the "trap" you despise once things get bent out of shape for you in Nigeria. For what its worth, will you give up your US citizenship? If not, why not?

I was thinking about the tit for tat here as i drove home from work. I thought a lot about what home meant. Then it hit me - home is where i have peace, security, justice. Home is where i know i can drive at night, alone, on impulse, and have zero fear of armed robbers or area boys or bad roads. Home is going back to my abode, knowing i won't have to struggle to find kerosine to cook, that i won't need candles as my source of light, that i will turn on the tap and water will flow and that my biggest problem would be what to cook rather than if i will get to eat or not. Yes, there is racism here... but so what, its not like my black Nigerian brother did any better for me. The average 18-year old American kid can take a backpack, pick a ticket to anywhere in Europe and fly out... with nothing but a few dollars in their pocket. In Nigeria, successful middle class adults have to provide tax forms, letters from employer, return tickets home, bank account information, invitation letters, cram visa interview questions and answer + 7 day fasting and prayer, just to spend a few days in South Africa of all places. My brother... America isn't perfect, but i'm sure glad i live here not in Lagos.
This piece right here can't be traded for a Bugatti Veron

So apt.
wink

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Holocene(m): 9:54pm On May 26, 2018
I am not against people sending you IM but it is best if the questions are thrown on the thread so others can learn and get info. That is if your intentions are clear.

5 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 12:01am On May 28, 2018
Ah! Summer time. The weather is progressively getting warmer and the clothes are getting skimpier. grin

Ladies of all shapes and sizes are stepping out with the tiniest of clothing; Bum shorts that leave the ass cheeks hanging out, sundresses that leave nothing to the imagination, even panties and bra and flip flops to top it off. There’s nothing like morality holding these ladies back, trust me when I tell you, these ladies leave nothing to the imagination! They might as well be walking around completely naked shocked

Yankee is beautiful grin

On Saturday, early in the morning, I went to play soccer in Chicago, close to University of Chicago in Illinois (UIC). I drove for like 20 minutes and the sun was still rising when I got there. After playing for 1 hour or so, the weather started getting hotter and hotter. We had to stop cos the sun became unbearable. Even for me, a full blooded African young man, the sun was too hot to handle! When I got in my car, I checked the temperature and it was around 100 degrees Fahrenheit shocked

We were a couple more minutes from having a heatstroke https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_stroke

After soccer, I went home and freshened up, then I drove down to the school to write the English placement test. We were required to read and summarize a story about some lady’s experiences while growing up from a poor background. This was followed by a couple of questions, one of which we were asked to equate the lady’s experiences with something that happened in ours. I wrote about some hardship story using Nigeria as the setting; there was a lot to write about, but I didn’t want to do too much. An academic advisor gave me a tip earlier on, that they aren’t actually looking at the length of your essay, they would be looking at sentence structures and technical stuff. The placement test was done on a computer and lasted approximately 2hours

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by smoke9910(m): 12:13am On May 28, 2018
I've been following our thread bro, got here in two days. Hope to join you someday over there. Naija get as e be, I'll take the racism and whatever else, the Nigerian spirit triumphs wherever there is a way. we still thriving in the chaos, Imagine what we could achieve where there is order.

7 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 12:14am On May 28, 2018
smoke9910:
I've been following our thread bro, got here in two days. Hope to join you someday over there. Naija get as e be, I'll take the racism and whatever else, the Nigerian spirit triumphs wherever there is a way. we still thriving in the chaos, Imagine what we could achieve where there is order.

Welcome. I wish you all the best cool

3 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by smoke9910(m): 12:23am On May 28, 2018
Any recent photos so we can see how the summer is right now.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 12:25am On May 28, 2018
Dremca:
Try Alison, they have a well prepaid curriculum for that.

Thanks, I’ll check it out
Holocene:

Those placement test are quire easy if you had a good science backgroud in naija. I would advise you look up on quizlett.com. They have a broad range of topics and subjects to keep you in top form.
I guess you will be resuming during Fall if everything goes as planned.

Yup, I should be starting this fall. I’m pumped up already cool

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.