Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,970 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:29 AM

A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) - Nairaland / General (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) (64485 Views)

Soldier: The Python We Killed At Front Line Today / See The Big Snake A Lady Killed In Her Farm (Photos) / A Huge Python My Brother Killed In His Farm (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by supereagle(m): 5:46pm On Dec 05, 2016
Igbadu in Yoruba.
Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by Nobody: 5:47pm On Dec 05, 2016
SeanBeezy:
Photos Of A Poisonous Snake That Was Killed Today At MOUAU Fish Farm In Umudike

Below are photos of a poisonous snake that was actually captured by a trap today at our University fish farm. I don't even know the particular specie, I hope someone helps me

Snakes head are poisonous even after death.

That's a black mamba or black cobra.

Runaway from green and black snakes for ur own good
Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by funshint(m): 5:47pm On Dec 05, 2016
SeanBeezy:
Even when dead Thank God I no touch am, na by God's grace I take this pictures sef....
You guys; sorry to say really played with your lives. Atleast d head shld hv been cut off and buried immediately. That girl shld thank her lucky stars 'cos even in death that tin "Black mamba" can still bite and kill. Ignorance at its peak!!! *To imagine these are tertiary students. I'm not here to condemn you but I really hate it when people die avoidable deaths!

1 Like

Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by iykenathan162(m): 5:51pm On Dec 05, 2016
sod09:
sure even wen d head is cut off... Day store venom in dere fangs

I beg to disagree sir, more explanation pls.
Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by supereagle(m): 5:51pm On Dec 05, 2016
ringi82:

You are mistaken. What makes you think there are no cobras in Nigeria? I've seen a cobra in the north. It was trapped inside an abandoned and empty swimming pool at the kano campus of the Nigerian law school, bagauda. That was in 2005. We saw it live with its hooded head raised head and ready to strike when we taunted it with stones.
You should also know that black mambas are not necessarily black but got its name originally from its forked black tongue. They are also very scarce in this part of the world, they are mostly seen in East Africa. Source; National Geographic.
All of them are in Nigeria, I catch them regularly with traps(Wire trap)
Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by Kakamorufu(m): 5:51pm On Dec 05, 2016
I kuku know that place. beside cnren. my hanging out hood back den in Nysc days. Una do well
Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by funshint(m): 5:53pm On Dec 05, 2016
ncoolsome:

Pls ooh remind me again..how does a dead snake bite??to many Nigerian home video..even plus people that liked d comment wonder why??
Search on YouTube and watch diff videos on that. Your eyes go clear

1 Like

Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by iykenathan162(m): 5:55pm On Dec 05, 2016
sod09:
sure even wen d head is cut off... Day store venom in dere fangs

more explanation sir
Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by sod09(m): 5:55pm On Dec 05, 2016
arabianights:
what is the difference?
king cobras are cannibal day kill cobras
day are bigger, more poisonous... pls check google to understand more
Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by donfemo(m): 5:55pm On Dec 05, 2016
GourmetChef:

Actually, a snake can still bite even after it's killed.

The reason is simple: snakes have extremely sloooooow metabolisms: they use energy very slowly. This means that their brains don't completely or immediately die and are still capable of activity from residual oxygen in the blood up to 30 minutes after bodily death. Thus, a snake's head can strike even after it has been cut off.

Search the internet. There are many stories of snakes biting people after they've supposedly been killed.

Thanks for taking out time to explain, will search and read about it. Cheers!
Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by cocaineaddict(m): 5:55pm On Dec 05, 2016
Melanogaster:
No, the snake is not poisonous, its called venomous. Olodo

Meanwhile, this topic wont make frontpage cool
i'm interested in knowing what differs in a snake being poisonous and venomous
Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by RENOWNED2(m): 5:57pm On Dec 05, 2016
Babzilla:

and you who is so learned to you because its black that makes it a black mamba. You are the one who sounds like a four year old here
If U did your research you will know that the only black on a black mamba is in the mouth
Lmao
Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by sod09(m): 5:57pm On Dec 05, 2016
iykenathan162:

I beg to disagree sir, more explanation pls.
venomous snakes store venom in fangs... even went dead for a month d venom is still potent... a scratch of d fang to d body can produce same venom as its alive
Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by Polyestar(m): 6:05pm On Dec 05, 2016
arabianights:
OK... But according to my research, it states small pythons. I don't c king cobra swallowing a large python especially a Burmese python. That one na lie. It might be the longest but width plays a part also . what's the largest python you have seen?
According to Wikipedia, they can only prey on small pythons but I can give you a video link of a King Cobra eating a full-grown python.
http://www.downvids.net/king-cobra-vs-python-one-gets-eaten--454306.html
The largest python in record, in terms of weight and size, is the Burmese Python. Although the Reticulated Python and King Cobra are longer. It's the second largest snake after the Green Anaconda.
Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by lozanni(m): 6:09pm On Dec 05, 2016
donfemo:

A bite even when dead??

Yes, by reflex action. Its better to cut and destroy the head completely.
There was a story of a Palm Wine Tapper, around Festac Town Lagos, who saw a tasty looking snake, when he was about to climb a tree to tap palm wine in the buffer zone, along 2nd Avenue, that separates Festac Town from the Lagos-Badagry Expressway.
The Palm wine tapper killed the snake and put it into his Palm wine tapper's bag, because he felt it could be stolen before he comes down the tree.
While up the tree, the reflex action of the dead snake sprang to life and it gave the palm wine tapper a deadly bite on the chest, very close to the heart.
The Palm wine tapper died before he arrived at the hospital and the Doctor on duty attributed the quick death to the rapid spread of the snake's venomous poison to the whole body by the pumping action of the heart, which was close to the spot he was bitten.

Moral of the story: always cut off and destroy a dead snake's head as it can still deliver fatal bites by reflex action.

3 Likes

Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by Qualer: 6:16pm On Dec 05, 2016
GossipHeart:

The name of the snake is Black Mamba

You don't wanna come in contact with that evil

In 2009, i did an experiment with the poison extracted from it's mouth, i mixed it with human blood, the result was scary, in just 2 minutes, it froze the blood

And for the people saying that it's a king cobra, how old are you guys ?? Even a 4 year old kid can tell you how cobras look like but you guys stupidity is amazing

Cobras have flat hooded heads

There are scarcity of cobras in Nigeria

The only cobra you will find in Africa is the black-necked spitting cobra, and it's only in Mozambique

The second picture i will attach is how a cobra looks like

my friend that is not a black mamba, it is actually a cobra! stop insulting people in your ignorance!

3 Likes

Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by donfemo(m): 6:17pm On Dec 05, 2016
lozanni:

Yes, by reflex action. Its better to cut and destroy the head completely.
There was a story of a Palm Wine Tapper, around Festac Town Lagos, who saw a tasty looking snake, when he was about to climb a tree to tap palm wine in the buffer zone, along 2nd Avenue, that separates Festac Town from the Lagos-Badagry Expressway.
The Palm wine tapper killed the snake and put it into his Palm wine tapper's bag, because he felt it could be stolen before he comes down the tree.
While up the tree, the reflex action of the dead snake sprang to life and it gave the palm wine tapper a deadly bite on the chest, very close to the heart.
The Palm wine tapper died before he arrived at the hospital and the Doctor on duty attributed the quick death to the rapid spread of the snake's venomous poison to the whole body by the pumping action of the heart, which was close to the spot he was bitten.

Moral of the story: always cut off and destroy a dead snake's head as it can still deliver fatal bites by reflex action.

Thank you, well understood but that was not a dead snake. Something which is dead does not come back to life, The palm wine tapper felt he had killed the snake but the snake was never dead. The moral makes sense tho.

1 Like

Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by eaglechild: 6:18pm On Dec 05, 2016
GossipHeart:

The name of the snake is Black Mamba

You don't wanna come in contact with that evil

In 2009, i did an experiment with the poison extracted from it's mouth, i mixed it with human blood, the result was scary, in just 2 minutes, it froze the blood

And for the people saying that it's a king cobra, how old are you guys ?? Even a 4 year old kid can tell you how cobras look like but you guys stupidity is amazing

Cobras have flat hooded heads

There are scarcity of cobras in Nigeria

The only cobra you will find in Africa is the black-necked spitting cobra, and it's only in Mozambique

The second picture i will attach is how a cobra looks like

You are very wrong and have misled a lot of people.

The hood is NOT PERMANENT in a cobra but usually appears when the snake feels threatened.

That snake is NOT a black mamba.

It is an AFRICAN FOREST COBRA.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by Nobody: 6:21pm On Dec 05, 2016
stanlee303:

Hydrous Genus Nerodias are only found in North America.

Correct Sir. Thanks.

''Nerodia is a genus of nonvenomous colubrid snakes commonly referred to as water snakes due to their aquatic behavior. The genus includes nine species, all native to North America''.

-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerodia
-http://animaldiversity.org/site/accounts/information/Nerodia_sipedon.html
Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by MrMacinterchi1: 6:21pm On Dec 05, 2016
Donshemzy1234:
Op these your headline enh

Which snake is not poisonous
All snakes are not...
Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by Qualer: 6:23pm On Dec 05, 2016
Ncsamuel:
Thats a cobra nw. Never a black mamba. Black mambas are green. And pls be careful when holding a dead venomous snake, sometimes they can still be deadly. And make una remember say anti venoms are scarce in this country o.

eerrr... black mambas are not green grin green mambas are green! black mambas are different shades of brown or grey... they are called black because of the inside of their mouths which are usually black!
Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by hardon1(m): 6:24pm On Dec 05, 2016
Polyestar:
Here's how a King Cobra looks like. This is no photoshop!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4571585_images9_jpega2713086b7798d42474fb1a10bb59582

i didnt see ur image tho cos am data is almost finished. But dont make conclusions unnecessarily. Am not saying its black mamber. They snake can be any specie, its needs a closer examination befor u can actually tell the specie. But FYI, a king cobra's hood is only prominent when it is in aggresive mood, defensive mood, disturbed or wants to strike a prey. The hood is not there when it is in its normal state or when dead
Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by iykenathan162(m): 6:25pm On Dec 05, 2016
sod09:
venomous snakes store venom in fangs... even went dead for a month d venom is still potent... a scratch of d fang to d body can produce same venom as its alive

wao, that means they don't even know what they were playing with
Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by Qualer: 6:26pm On Dec 05, 2016
SmartyPants:

What does identifying a snake have to do with age now? Why lunge straight for age as your first defence? and what is the crime in bieng young anyway? I have no idea why the "i'm older than you therefore more knowledgeable than you" argument seems to acceptable on this forum.

Now with regards to your false assertions and so-called facts:

1. There are several different types of cobras found all over Africa including in Nigeria.

2. I really hope for your sake that you do not mean to insinuate that cobras always appear with flat hooded heads? wow!! so you really do not know anything an yet are the one making so much noise! for your info, cobras only display display the flared neck/hood when acting in aggression. in their normal state they have a regular looking head.

3. The picture in questions is from my superficial analysis definitely a cobra.

avail yourself of this resource (http://animals.mom.me/countries-cobras-4322.html), and avoid further embarrassing moments.

Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by Nobody: 6:30pm On Dec 05, 2016
it looks like a mamba.
Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by Qualer: 6:31pm On Dec 05, 2016
GossipHeart:

Imported cobras

1 Like

Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by NovusHomo(m): 6:33pm On Dec 05, 2016
Laconfidential:

Heard of the Egyptian cobra and Mozambique spitting cobra?..

Some cobras spit. The spittle is scary enough for them not to need to bite. The tiniest drop could make you go blind. That is why they always target their victim's/aggressor's eyes.

1 Like

Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by Qualer: 6:37pm On Dec 05, 2016
GossipHeart:

Do you know what i studied in the university and what i do for a living ??

I will school you about snakes

1 Like

Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by lozanni(m): 6:40pm On Dec 05, 2016
donfemo:

Thank you, well understood but that was not a dead snake. Something which is dead does not come back to life, The palm wine tapper felt he had killed the snake but the snake was never dead. The moral makes sense tho.

That might have been a dead snake.
Let me give you another example, in August 2014 in Thailand, a snake whose head had been cut off (completely decapitated) and was lying carelessly on the kitchen table in a snake soup kitchen (trust Asians and snake soup).
The decapitated head suddenly sprang to life and sank its fangs into the chef's arm.
The chef was dead before he got to the hospital.
The Thai Doctors also attributed the decapitated snake head's action to reflex action.
You may google it to find out more. See a post below

www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/chef-cooking-snake-dies-after-4088634
Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by arabianights: 6:41pm On Dec 05, 2016
sod09:
king cobras are cannibal day kill cobras
day are bigger, more poisonous... pls check google to understand more
I did tongue thanks anyway
Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by huntax(m): 6:43pm On Dec 05, 2016
donfemo:

A bite even when dead??
Yes, if they accidentally touch its fang
Re: A Snake Killed At MOUAU Fish Farm (Photos) by onward4life(m): 6:44pm On Dec 05, 2016
donfemo:

A bite even when dead??

The venom is still very active even after it becomes dried as stock fish. DNA things

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Spectranet, Smile Or SWIFT 4G LTE? I Need Advice / Man Dies In Car Accident In Asaba, Three Days After His Wedding (Photos) / Big Snake Seen Inside A Toilet (WC) In Ekpoma, Edo State (pics/video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.