Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,376 members, 7,808,317 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:16 AM

Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria (25565 Views)

Wole Soyinka And Chimamanda Adichie At The Felabration 2019, Pictured Together / Wole Soyinka With Founding Members Of Pyrate In 1952 (Throwback Photo) / Oretunlewa Soyinka Marries Nneka Ekechukwu, Igbo Girl (Pre-Wedding Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Buyeradvertcom: 3:24am On Dec 06, 2016
Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka has threatened to exit Nigeria as a response to the media harassment to which Nigerians have subjected him.

Speaking to reporters today at a media event held at Freedom Park on Lagos Island, Mr. Soyinka, winner of the 1986 Nobel Prize for literature, said he was embarrassed to share a country with some "imbeciles and morons."

He said, "I should not be exiting the United States but Nigeria because the people on behalf of whom one has struggled all one’s life can be so slavish in mentality as to start querying the right of their champion to free speech."

He continued, "I am embarrassed to occupy the same space as some imbeciles and morons," adding that the exit from Nigeria can be "internal" or "external".

Mr. Soyinka, a retired professor from Obafemi Awolowo University and numerous universities in the U.K. and US, also threatened to move the residency of his foundation, the Wole Soyinka Foundation, out of Nigeria and dared anybody to criticize his decision.

"If the board agrees," he said, "I will move the residency of my foundation out of the country," he said.

He added that on the inauguration of the US president-elect, Donald Trump, he would hold a private funeral wake to mourn the death of common sense in Nigeria.

The Nobel laureate expressed irritation at many Nigerians who had taken to the social media to criticize his comment to leave the United States of America and tear his green card after Mr. Trump was declared winner in the November 8, 2016 presidential election in the US.

He said, "We worked to make sure the least important person in our society enjoys freedom of expression. When I decide to take this same action [use his freedom of speech], I don’t want people whom we have fought for to enjoy freedom of expression to start all kinds of vulgar and stupid commentaries.

"Barbarians have taken over this community using the anonymity, most of the time, of the Internet to sit somewhere and start writing rubbish, questioning the right of people like me to express ourselves."

Mr. Soyinka said Nigerians have no right to question his decision to leave the US.

"What is the business of any stupid Nigerian to open his or her mouth to challenge my right? Did you get the green card for me? The arrogance of some Nigerians is overwhelming, and I don’t interfere, so how dare you interfere with me?" he said.

He asked, “Why do Nigerians wail louder than the bereaved?”

Mr. Soyinka said he never wanted the American green card, but was given one by former President Jimmy Carter, the 39th president of the United States, which caused him to christen the document "Jimmy Carter's card."

He said, "I call my green card Jimmy Carter’s card because he got it for me and, as a matter of fact, I did not ask for it."

http://saharareporters.com/2016/12/05/wole-soyinka-berates-nigerian-critics-threatens-exit-nigeria

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by ishowdotgmail(m): 3:25am On Dec 06, 2016
No offense sir! But I think you are the slowpoke here. I don't. Know what this man is feeling like. For if Hilary had won, I know you won't have let us here word again. Oga bury ur head in shame, and relocate to Malawi for we don't give a Bleep!

I woke up this morning with the aim of making FTC 5times today

FTC number2

219 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by GreatUniben: 3:59am On Dec 06, 2016
This guy is always at the wrong side, being proud and always talking anyhow. By the way, how has he helped the common man to enjoy freedom

122 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by darknetcom: 4:13am On Dec 06, 2016
were he wan run to...??

most comment from abroad...

i call dem white-toto lickers..

brainless people...

8 Likes

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by modsmustdie: 4:20am On Dec 06, 2016
Lol
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by ehinmowo: 4:32am On Dec 06, 2016
If u question Soyinka's fight for the common man, then you truly don't know the man at all.

If you question his achievements, then there is a problem with your brain.

As to whether wot he said is right or wrong, i don't know. because that something or someone doesn't follow the stereotypes does not make him right or wrong. And somtimes, somethings u claimed 2 b wrong cud take ur brain another decade 2 comprehend.

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by dunkem21(m): 4:42am On Dec 06, 2016
This comment has been deleted. lipsrsealed

67 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by STFUand4kMeHARD(m): 5:15am On Dec 06, 2016
Shekau = terrorism
Sheyinkau = Cultism

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Sharafawizkidayo(m): 5:41am On Dec 06, 2016
This is bad! just look at the heavy foul language he used "baboons,"baberians, like he himself is nt 1 of us! thous i see no reason y he should react dat way, we agree dat indeed u were humialited, sorry abt dat prof, bt if u are confirm nigerian, u should hv knwn dat nigerians behave like dat, no offence sir bt u should take does words back! bcuz u calling us baboons is the same as saying africans are. sincf we are all backs!!!

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by echelons(m): 6:19am On Dec 06, 2016
Ok na
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by badaoyeyemi(f): 6:19am On Dec 06, 2016
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by veekid(m): 6:19am On Dec 06, 2016

is Soyinka on wrong medication?

77 Likes

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by sanandreas(m): 6:21am On Dec 06, 2016
Confused as our president grin grin grin

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by ikorodureporta: 6:22am On Dec 06, 2016
undecided
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by mikool007(m): 6:22am On Dec 06, 2016
want is his significance undecided

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by pomide(m): 6:23am On Dec 06, 2016
excuse me sir... kindly ignore social media and concentrate on scholarly work smiley

9 Likes

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Nobody: 6:23am On Dec 06, 2016
Then he should goodbye

10 Likes

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by melodyirish(m): 6:23am On Dec 06, 2016
É pain am grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin tongue tongue

36 Likes

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Nobody: 6:24am On Dec 06, 2016
Opakan2:
Flatrons media..
[s]
They are still pained about 2015.. where were they or their fathers in 2011when you, Pst Bakare and co. took to the streets

God will punish them all one by one.. bloody fools

kindly ignore fools like Reno sir, may your da[/s]ys be long
Too early. Soyinka doesn't need anyone to massage his ego

37 Likes

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by passionate88: 6:24am On Dec 06, 2016
idiot man

9 Likes

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by OliveCynosure(f): 6:25am On Dec 06, 2016
Buyeradvertcom:
Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka has threatened to exit Nigeria as a response to the media harassment to which Nigerians have subjected him.

Speaking to reporters today at a media event held at Freedom Park on Lagos Island, Mr. Soyinka, winner of the 1986 Nobel Prize for literature, said he was embarrassed to share a country with some "imbeciles and morons."

He said, "I should not be exiting the United States but Nigeria because the people on behalf of whom one has struggled all one’s life can be so slavish in mentality as to start querying the right of their champion to free speech."

He continued, "I am embarrassed to occupy the same space as some imbeciles and morons," adding that the exit from Nigeria can be "internal" or "external".

Mr. Soyinka, a retired professor from Obafemi Awolowo University and numerous universities in the U.K. and US, also threatened to move the residency of his foundation, the Wole Soyinka Foundation, out of Nigeria and dared anybody to criticize his decision.

"If the board agrees," he said, "I will move the residency of my foundation out of the country," he said.

He added that on the inauguration of the US president-elect, Donald Trump, he would hold a private funeral wake to mourn the death of common sense in Nigeria.

The Nobel laureate expressed irritation at many Nigerians who had taken to the social media to criticize his comment to leave the United States of America and tear his green card after Mr. Trump was declared winner in the November 8, 2016 presidential election in the US.

He said, "We worked to make sure the least important person in our society enjoys freedom of expression. When I decide to take this same action [use his freedom of speech], I don’t want people whom we have fought for to enjoy freedom of expression to start all kinds of vulgar and stupid commentaries.

"Barbarians have taken over this community using the anonymity, most of the time, of the Internet to sit somewhere and start writing rubbish, questioning the right of people like me to express ourselves."

Mr. Soyinka said Nigerians have no right to question his decision to leave the US.

"What is the business of any stupid Nigerian to open his or her mouth to challenge my right? Did you get the green card for me? The arrogance of some Nigerians is overwhelming, and I don’t interfere, so how dare you interfere with me?" he said.

He asked, “Why do Nigerians wail louder than the bereaved?”

Mr. Soyinka said he never wanted the American green card, but was given one by former President Jimmy Carter, the 39th president of the United States, which caused him to christen the document "Jimmy Carter's card."

He said, "I call my green card Jimmy Carter’s card because he got it for me and, as a matter of fact, I did not ask for it."

http://saharareporters.com/2016/12/05/wole-soyinka-berates-nigerian-critics-threatens-exit-nigeria

Baba, make we hear word jare

27 Likes

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by OZAOEKPE(f): 6:25am On Dec 06, 2016
SOYINKA is officially a m a d man lipsrsealed

28 Likes

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by idee91: 6:25am On Dec 06, 2016
Who him epp ?

9 Likes

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by HQuadreal: 6:27am On Dec 06, 2016
No be today he don dey talk am.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by passionate88: 6:28am On Dec 06, 2016

This guy mumu die. You must exit the United States of America o, then you are free to also exit Nigeria. Afonja of the highest order

uniklinkum:

You are the slo..wpoke and waste of oxygen here, if you read wole earlier statement he quit countries with human rights issues. Which is his personal decision and didn't concern waste of chromosome like you and your herd of cow mentality si.mpletons. If your brains aren't mere artifacts, you would have known that same wole even support the rights of some people to quit this country even when it carries a jail term. That's called a fight for human rights, But will slowpoke like you ever understand. Since the election of drumpf, the increase in the attack on minorities by white supremacists have skyrocketed that's what wole is protesting, but foools like you with no redeeming grace will come to social media and express opinion that make one support the legitimacy of abortion.

Why didn't he speak out when Buhari made his infamous dog and baboons statement? Why didn't he speak out when the Nigerian security agencies were attacking citizens without warrants?

Soyinka is an idiot of the highest order

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by DIKEnaWAR: 6:29am On Dec 06, 2016
He will soon tear his clothes and start raving mad, cursing and trashing the whole place. I knew something was wrong when he started eulogising and consorting with a known kleptomaniac.

Hubris. ...the downfall of so many over-bloated egos and empty testicle, dangling and swaying from side to side. Soyinka has joined the rank and file of Obasanjo, Buhari, IBB, Abdusalami, Gowon, Tony Anenih, EK Clark, etc etc. Nigeria have them in abundance, men who are so shameless and have refused to quit the stage, for the younger generation. Men who think they are so wise, the country would crash without them. Men who think they are immortals sharing this tiny space with mere mortals. Men who have a sense of entitlement. Soyinka just called himself the champion of free speech, yet when we apply same free speech to question his actons, he gets angry. Is this what he learnt from known dictators that he had been dining with or he has been a closet intolerant man all his life?

He said Nigeria weep more than the bereaved and interfere in what is not their business. Shall we ask Soyinka what he was doing when he carried America's election on his head to the extent of threatening to tear his green card and leave? I guess he was wiping the tears from the bereaved. Did he think he loved America more than its citizens?

The people you think are intelligent in this country are actually the ones that will disappoint you the most. My advise to Soyinka is to join the group of Obasanjo and Co, men who live and thrive in infamy and continue to shove his face in our faces and embarrass himself and family till whenever. This is where he belongs now.

106 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by 01mcfadden(m): 6:30am On Dec 06, 2016
Lol.
Sorry oga Soyinka, they also exercised their freedom of speech the way you did yours.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by dionysus7: 6:30am On Dec 06, 2016
Nigga comot na...you don useless your prof title finish already

15 Likes

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by thunder74(m): 6:30am On Dec 06, 2016
Easy to criticize but hard to take criticism. The hypocrisy of man.

60 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" / What's Your Favorite Novel Of All Time? / Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.