Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,963 members, 7,799,275 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:15 PM

Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria (25551 Views)

Wole Soyinka And Chimamanda Adichie At The Felabration 2019, Pictured Together / Wole Soyinka With Founding Members Of Pyrate In 1952 (Throwback Photo) / Oretunlewa Soyinka Marries Nneka Ekechukwu, Igbo Girl (Pre-Wedding Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Legend87(m): 8:44am On Dec 06, 2016
Buyeradvertcom:
Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka has threatened to exit Nigeria as a response to the media harassment to which Nigerians have subjected him.

Speaking to reporters today at a media event held at Freedom Park on Lagos Island, Mr. Soyinka, winner of the 1986 Nobel Prize for literature, said he was embarrassed to share a country with some "imbeciles and morons."

He said, "I should not be exiting the United States but Nigeria because the people on behalf of whom one has struggled all one’s life can be so slavish in mentality as to start querying the right of their champion to free speech."

He continued, "I am embarrassed to occupy the same space as some imbeciles and morons," adding that the exit from Nigeria can be "internal" or "external".

Mr. Soyinka, a retired professor from Obafemi Awolowo University and numerous universities in the U.K. and US, also threatened to move the residency of his foundation, the Wole Soyinka Foundation, out of Nigeria and dared anybody to criticize his decision.

"If the board agrees," he said, "I will move the residency of my foundation out of the country," he said.

He added that on the inauguration of the US president-elect, Donald Trump, he would hold a private funeral wake to mourn the death of common sense in Nigeria.

The Nobel laureate expressed irritation at many Nigerians who had taken to the social media to criticize his comment to leave the United States of America and tear his green card after Mr. Trump was declared winner in the November 8, 2016 presidential election in the US.

He said, "We worked to make sure the least important person in our society enjoys freedom of expression. When I decide to take this same action [use his freedom of speech], I don’t want people whom we have fought for to enjoy freedom of expression to start all kinds of vulgar and stupid commentaries.

"Barbarians have taken over this community using the anonymity, most of the time, of the Internet to sit somewhere and start writing rubbish, questioning the right of people like me to express ourselves."

Mr. Soyinka said Nigerians have no right to question his decision to leave the US.

"What is the business of any stupid Nigerian to open his or her mouth to challenge my right? Did you get the green card for me? The arrogance of some Nigerians is overwhelming, and I don’t interfere, so how dare you interfere with me?" he said.

He asked, “Why do Nigerians wail louder than the bereaved?”

Mr. Soyinka said he never wanted the American green card, but was given one by former President Jimmy Carter, the 39th president of the United States, which caused him to christen the document "Jimmy Carter's card."

He said, "I call my green card Jimmy Carter’s card because he got it for me and, as a matter of fact, I did not ask for it."

http://saharareporters.com/2016/12/05/wole-soyinka-berates-nigerian-critics-threatens-exit-nigeria

The fish cannot be inside same pot of soup with the meat and expect to be exempted of being eaten up.. Eithe Soyinka runs away from the U.S or Niaja, calling naija names also refers to himself. #Once_naija'rian,_always a..........tongue

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by middlebelter(m): 8:48am On Dec 06, 2016
ishowdotgmail:
No offense sir! But I think you are the slowpoke here. I don't. Know what this man is feeling like. For if Hilary had won, I know you won't have let us here word again. Oga bury ur head in shame, and relocate to Malawi for we don't give a Bleep!
No
I woke up this morning with the aim of making FTC 5times today

FTC number2

If you a youngman can call someone of the age of your grandfather a slowpoke. Let me tell you that your own grand children will use a worse language to describe you when you become old.
I find it completely indigestible when men and women hiding behind anonymity, will throw away our values by insulting elders.
For the record I have never met Wole Soyinka as a person, he's from SW and am from political North Central. I find it very irritating they way people write rubbish about the man. It is on record that he was jailed during the civil war by Nigerian Government for taking side with people the FG was fighting. We also now how this man's life was threatened by military for his role in NADECO etc all the victories that has contributed to our freedom of speech/expression today.
I think this man deserves all our support at his old age instead of making him regret his life of sacrifice. If we don't hasten to correct this error, we should not be surprise if the best of our brains continue to abandon us when it matters.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by SIRmanjar(m): 8:48am On Dec 06, 2016
Ndolarr:
Whatever some idiots say on this platform, Soyinka is a great Nigerian and is entitled to take personal decisions without query from busy-bodies, meddlesome-interlopers! I agree with him that majority of Nigerians have a slavish mentality and are moronic!! If not, politicians will induce voters with 200 naira, get their votes and turn around to loot the treasury and throw them into deeper poverty. Just this morning, jollof rice, egusi soup and pounded yam were reported to have been imported into the country with the scarce forex, yet our manufacturers are crying for forex to import machineries. Fuel importers stole the country blind under government subsidy policy, yet none of them has gone to jail. Many government agencies spent 450 billion naira revenue generated by them instead of remitting same into Federation Account. Jubrin made startling revelations about the massive stealing happening in the National Assembly, he was suspended and Nigerians are unperturbed!!! All these rubbish are happening, yet our moronic mentality will not allow us to be outraged and demand for speedy trial of culprits. Instead, Soyinka's decision to tear his green card interests us more! Very shameful!!
I luv ur point dem especially d garri ad egusi soup importation ad scarcity of forex to import machineries.however plz dnt 4get dat u ad I ad diz same white hair gang proff u ar defending voted diz confused goverment into power.
He was as active as a volcano during d lst election.As d new govt he supportd came in ad startd fumbling he ran away,ad even refused to speak up aginzt the weak govt.I tink he deservz all d insult.
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Nobody: 9:00am On Dec 06, 2016
U woke in with the aim of Can u imagine....
ishowdotgmail:
No offense sir! But I think you are the slowpoke here. I don't. Know what this man is feeling like. For if Hilary had won, I know you won't have let us here word again. Oga bury ur head in shame, and relocate to Malawi for we don't give a Bleep!

I woke up this morning with the aim of making FTC 5times today

FTC number2

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by guvna(m): 9:01am On Dec 06, 2016
Kingbuhari:
this wifeless old cultist should take it easy nah... Is he eyeing Liar Mohammed ministerial portfolio ,
Any Nigerian that has known the
Yorubas or lived with them would
wonder when a Yoruba could be
trusted to mean what they say or
do what they mean or be brave
enough, this cowardice Amala and ewedu eater should cut the crab and tear his green card nah, Nigerians have known Yoruba's
shiftiness and two sided loud-
mouthing... Soyinka is a disgrace to Noble laureate

This has Igbotic Mentality written all over it.

What is up with the amala statements you baboon?? Abi No be food?? Animal!.

Not all Igbos are like that I know...but we have many of them imbeciles and baboons, nah your father be coward!!!!

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by chiefobdk(m): 9:07am On Dec 06, 2016
dis foolish old afonja childish cultist again
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by igben(m): 9:08am On Dec 06, 2016
Guy, nigerianz dnt need uuuuuuuuuuuuu
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Nemesis99(m): 9:12am On Dec 06, 2016
I see no difference btw this old fool and trump sef. Calling us names smh
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by tbanj07(m): 9:16am On Dec 06, 2016
I tire ooooo
beejay18:
Hw does that provided money to my account...?
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by princefaculty(m): 9:18am On Dec 06, 2016
No man is above being criticized or his words been reexamined after they are uttered. If you don't want to be a victim of criticism then never utter a word or better still seize from existing. Afterall he lived his whole life criticising people and government alike. I seriously see this whole noise from Soyinka as oldage talks, he sure can't help it.
Who him epp? How much him or him foundation de add to our GDP?
E want make we beg am Abi make we cry?

Abeg remove your family house carry am go too tongue
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Mindmirror: 9:29am On Dec 06, 2016
If you live in a glass house don't throw stones. If you can't take blows baba, don't throw blows.
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Xpol: 9:29am On Dec 06, 2016
Chai! Nigerians wetin una do no good oh Baba just dey play with un say if trump win hin go tear green card but una con force am do am.see now baba don dey vex for una now ohhh he's not hpy at all seems he dey even regret self.shey pesi no fit play with una ni abeg small small oo or make una kukuma say sorry o
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by charlove(m): 9:29am On Dec 06, 2016
Who dey export oshogbo weed give this guy?
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by breakeven: 9:30am On Dec 06, 2016
Let this man go to hell for all I care. Who his presence EPP sef?
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by PaulIdu: 9:32am On Dec 06, 2016
veekid:

is Soyinka on wrong medication?

He has been acting strangely for 2 months now
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by SIRmanjar(m): 9:36am On Dec 06, 2016
blueskies:
. Srzly I dnt understand these folks. How is it deir problem? Someone made a speech, a well respected achiever worldwide, he wasn't castigative neither was his speech derogatory towards anyone. He gave out his opinion on a matter and am sure before he concluded to such, he had weighed his words and options and felt it wnt av any negative effect on him or on anyone. So why r pple so quick to judge without thorough and deep thinking. Many of them base their reasonin and response on sentiments. He's a human rights activist and he was trying to pass a message across, besides he's welcomed anywhere because he's a well-respected academician and he has wat it takes to deliver
As a well respected achiever a mentor ad respected academician wit followerz who belive in him ad redy to learn from him.He shuld b careful wit hiz words
Wole iz my man I respect him a lot as well as sum pipul yarbing him here.D respect we hav 4 him was y we listend to him ad even belived hiz wordz when he said he will tear hiz green card.
Hadid bin we don't luv ad respct him we won't listen to him ad believe him or hold him accountable 4 hiz wordz.
Hiz an honorable man wit great achievment ad followerz.Honourable men do wot dey say or dey don't speak atall so datz y I am vexed dat he dint do wot he said.
I feel d best tin 4 d white hair gang prof to do iz to keep kwayet.
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Heltinking(m): 9:40am On Dec 06, 2016
He's high on cheap weed!
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by nizetee: 9:40am On Dec 06, 2016
pro·fess - /prəˈfes/
verb
1. claim openly but often falsely that one has (a quality or feeling).
2. affirm one's faith in or allegiance to (a religion or set of beliefs).
3. teach (a subject) as a professor.
4. have or claim knowledge or skill in (a subject or accomplishment).
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by veekid(m): 9:49am On Dec 06, 2016
PaulIdu:

He has been acting strangely for 2 months now
I taya o; but he hasn't ripe for dementia now, or what should we call this?
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Zenlife: 10:02am On Dec 06, 2016
Hmmm, the way the cookie crumbles.

You can run but can't hide.

Nomadic instincts have you infected.

Really who gives a hoot if you are erased or disappear.

Your insulting outbursts to Nigeria and the dark race confirms you are an unworthy shameless old man who only qualifies to go flush himself down the loo. You are all the adjectives you uttered personified. Only one who is cursed abuses and disrespect his people and source with your language.

You're undoubtedly a laughing stock worldwide, that is for those who even recognize your existence. I doubt if majority of America populace know you. As negative as your green card comment was, did America comment?
Your popularity fast becoming notoriety with your reactions is errant nonsense.

You deserve all the comments received.
Good thing too your true despicable nature is daily revealed. Your insults confirms your essence. Does a squeezed tomato release orange juice? No because that's not it's essence.

No matter what, you owe Nigeria, the dark race a huge apology with your name calling insults.
Pray they accept it.
With your tongue you are fast making the rest of your life a ridicule and will mostly be remembered in that light when gone.

Now you made yourself a spectacle of rubbish.
Whose champion are you anyway?
Self delusion!

Mr Wole is your sheer ego, arrogance worth rendering that which you built through the years? You have done irreparable damage with your insults to your people, your source, your orisun, and unworthy of pardon. Unfortunately I strongly doubt if it's redeemable.

That's the door...

Wole....jade.

Good riddance to bullshit!

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by usamali(m): 10:05am On Dec 06, 2016
Chaiii!!!!!! Prof all this grammar only to part card wey we just remind u oooooh sori leave Nigeria go and build ur own nation. If u go tirer for US na NIGERIA u no go tirer for.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Nobody: 10:07am On Dec 06, 2016
Sir no offence but i thought u should behave maturely and literacy @Soyinka

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by MeAboki(m): 10:08am On Dec 06, 2016
thunder74:
Easy to criticize but hard to take criticism. The hypocrisy of man.

LOL, the man virtually spent most of his political life criticising everyone and anyone at will and yet can't stand criticism himself and consequently questioning the right to freedom of speech (he cherishes for himself) of any Nigerian to criticise him likewise - what an arrogant megalomaniac; so what if he decides to exit, in fact nobody will miss him; his poems don't even rhyme.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by blackprowler: 10:21am On Dec 06, 2016
I agree with him. It is because Nigerians are fools that they worship him as a god.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by odinegi(m): 10:24am On Dec 06, 2016
I think i have to tear the portrait i made of this yeye man.... Alzheimer's has taken over his brain.
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by blackprowler: 10:27am On Dec 06, 2016
SOYINKA has not done one thing for the betterment of this country. It's only about his own benefit and egomaina. The problem is with Nigerians who put fools like Soyinka, Chinua Achebe and now Chimamanda on a pedestal. As a scientist, I really hate these people because they haven't produced a grain of rice or garri to feed the nation. They only sir up controversies from their opulence abroad. We are such a DUMB people and I can't contain my frustration with these imbeciles, as Soyinka rightly called them. THE PROBLEM WITH NIGERIA IS THE NIGERIAN PEOPLE THEMSELVES!
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Nobody: 10:28am On Dec 06, 2016
whats wrong with this daddy? he ranks no where among the richest men in africa, has no economic revelance, no political relevance so what is he feeling like? i guess he is using cheap publicity to gain cheap attention.
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by blueskies(f): 10:30am On Dec 06, 2016
SIRmanjar:

As a well respected achiever a mentor ad respected academician wit followerz who belive in him ad redy to learn from him.He shuld b careful wit hiz words
Wole iz my man I respect him a lot as well as sum pipul yarbing him here.D respect we hav 4 him was y we listend to him ad even belived hiz wordz when he said he will tear hiz green card.
Hadid bin we don't luv ad respct him we won't listen to him ad believe him or hold him accountable 4 hiz wordz.
Hiz an honorable man wit great achievment ad followerz.Honourable men do wot dey say or dey don't speak atall so datz y I am vexed dat he dint do wot he said.
I feel d best tin 4 d white hair gang prof to do iz to keep kwayet.
. How asertive are you all in question of him not havin torn his green card? And I think I sighted a post a few weeks back dat confirmed he did. And even if he didn't, he's a human rights activist and may av made that statement ironically in defense of some people. One doesnt alwys talk with both sides of d mouth. Let's stop unnecessary criticism, there'r way more crucial issues that shd b criticised. Issues eating deep in dis nation and d society dat can affect our future and those comin behind us. He's an achiever so pple pay attention to evry detail he says whether its of importance or not, let's also bcom achievers so we can b recognised
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Precial419: 10:31am On Dec 06, 2016
PLS DIS WOLE SOYINKA IS SOMETHINGELSE
These great leaders are spoiling their names after they've made a great one
first it was pmb he has thrown d country into recession after making a good name for himself. if only he had not being d president we would think he would do great things and now the well know prof. he's getting angry over comments on social media
at least both of them are old enough to have heard this wise saying: if do alot of good all your life and a little bad at the end it will ruin everyhing you've built. evil destroys things alot. they need to redeem theirselves.
anyway on issue at hand he can leave o he does not take of my needs and freedom of speech is really. are nigerians voice really heard?are we even listened to ? he might have fought for freedom of speech but like most laws in nigeria, they are not applied. nigerians are not afraid to talk but wen u talk and nothing is being done about it and things only gets worse what do u do? pls we should all do d bit we can
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Reference(m): 10:33am On Dec 06, 2016
By 2019 they will all be demystified.
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by katniss(f): 10:36am On Dec 06, 2016
I'm beginning to think he's not very smart or not as smart as people think he is
Re: Soyinka Threatens To Exit Nigeria by Rayton(m): 10:53am On Dec 06, 2016
pressplay411:

You clearly lack proper home training. Either that or you're just another product of the vileness permeating the cyber space.
Can you at least show some respect? This is a man held in high esteem in all corners of the world yet you open your lousy mouth and call him names?
Even if you don't agree with his decisions there's ways of expressing your discord sensibly.

I sincerely weep for this unbridled and unstable generation of cyber bullies and miscreants. Sadly most of y'all are teenagers who have no idea what you going to do with your lives except jumping on comment sections exposing to the whole world your chronic case of oral diarrhea all in the name of likes and follows? Sad.

You are very funny as well as a tribalist.. Soyinka erred by uttering the nonsense he is currently saying and it is unbecoming of a professor of high esteem like him.... If he was from by tribe I would still criticize him.. . Any Nigerian can insult him now coz he is insulting 120million Nigerians as it is... He should put his ego under the bed coz I don't care a hoot about his fucking ass and crazy books anymore..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What's Your Favorite Novel Of All Time? / Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" / Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.