Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,649 members, 7,801,891 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:08 AM

10 Rules To Not Being A Victim Of Stolen Password - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 10 Rules To Not Being A Victim Of Stolen Password (417 Views)

I Need Help: I Am A Victim Of Wrong Phone Tracking [my Story] / Who Else Has Been A Victim Of This Airtel Scam? / Tracking Of Stolen Phones In Computer Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Rules To Not Being A Victim Of Stolen Password by tunisbaba(m): 1:01pm On Dec 06, 2016
Your passwords are like keys to your doors. With them, you have access to your valuables. And you don't want it to get into wrong hands -- the hands of the bad guys.

These bad guys can be professional hackers or mere spies looking to take advantage of your slacks. An easy way to fall into their hand is by being ignorant of how they work. You must be wise with your digital and electronic footprints if you don't want to enter their traps.

Consequently, for you not to be a victim, I have come up with 10 rules to guide you against their shady acts.

Rules To Save Yourself from Password Hackers and Spies

1. Go Biometrics: This applies to gadgets. If your gadgets give the option of biometric protection, use it. Some phones, tablets and computers now have fingerprint scanner as part of their security options, please use this scanner to complement your number password.
Hackers might guess your 15 digits password (if it is weak), but can never guess your fingerprint. She needs a clone technology for that and thank heaven, this technology is not ready available. Other biometric protection you can use includes voice command and face recognition technology.

2. Avoid ‘Over-simple Password’: Why on earth will someone use “12345” or “qwerty” as password? That is too cheap, easy to guess and ‘over-simple’. Most websites nowadays don't even allow those kinds of passwords. They demand a stronger one. My advice is, when choosing a password, combine letters, numbers and special symbols.
You can also capitalize some part of the letter. This makes the password strong; above all, make sure your password is long: the longer, the stronger.

3. Don’t Repeat Username as Password: On social networks and forum, your username is a public credential. Everybody sees it and knows you by it. Using it as a password is a big NO. If your username is Fineboy, your password shouldn't be fineboy or fineboy01 or any simple alteration of your username. Use a distinct password.

4. Use Different Password with Different Account: It is understandable that for the sake consistency, you have the same username everywhere you go on the Internet, but make sure your password is not the same. Making your username and password the same across all websites means break one is break all. If a hacker luckily breaks one account, she has access to all.

5. Password Manager is a Saviour: Going with Rule 4 can be impossible because you are likely to forget your many different passwords. But never with password manager! With password manager, you can save all your usernames and passwords, and never worry about memorizing them. The nice thing about password manager is, it is cloud based and accessible on-the-go on any device.

6. Don’t Click Anyhow Link: Be careful with emails entering your inbox, especially unsolicited ones from strangers. Never open any unsolicited attachment—even if the email comes from someone you know. If an email contains a hyperlink or an anchor text (a word or group of words with an embedded hyperlink), don’t click directly on it. It might be phishing trap; instead, right click on the it, copy the address link, and paste into your address bar.
With that, you will be able to see the main link in the hyperlink or anchor and judge if it is relevant to the conversation between you and the sender.

7. Don’t Use SAVE PASSWORD Option in Browsers unless on Your Personal Computer (PC): Browsers do notify us to save our password while trying to log into our account on a website. This gesture from browsers is good if you are on your PC. If you are not, please always reject this offer by clicking NEVER. If you click on SAVE, your password will be saved and the PC admin can access it.

8. Don’t Be a Victim of Keylogger: Keyloggers monitor the keystrokes of keyboard. Hackers install them on victim's PC and monitor victim's keystrokes from remote location. One sure way not to fall for this, is to install keylogger detector and use it to detect and uninstall keyloggers.

9. Install a Good Antivirus and Update It Regularly: Antiviruses not only secure against virus, a good one also helps to block spying eye from snooping your password. So install a good antivirus and update it regularly.

10. Never Tell Your Password: As simple as this rule is, most people don't follow it. Your password is yours and only yours. If you value your accounts' privacy, don't ever share your password with anybody.

Be wise; Be guided. Let the efforts of hackers and spies be in vain.

Source: http://howtotechnaija.com/10-rules-victim-stolen-password/

1 Like

Re: 10 Rules To Not Being A Victim Of Stolen Password by juniormusa(m): 1:05pm On Dec 06, 2016
Nice one op smiley
Re: 10 Rules To Not Being A Victim Of Stolen Password by PhonePlanet(m): 3:04pm On Dec 06, 2016
i have a friend who hates to use fingerprint. he said when his sleeping, his friends takes is finger and place it on his phone.
UNLOCKED!!!
Re: 10 Rules To Not Being A Victim Of Stolen Password by Nobody: 6:19pm On Dec 06, 2016
I love people using their fingers print as security.. when the shiit pisses me off...... I'll simply just cut your fingers off..... grin
Re: 10 Rules To Not Being A Victim Of Stolen Password by Nobody: 6:19pm On Dec 06, 2016
I love people using their fingers print as security.. when the shiit pisses me off...... I'll simply just cut your fingers off..... grin

(1) (Reply)

Are You A Wechat User? We Need You! / Wanna Join Ultimate Cycler? / Iphone Screen Discussion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.