Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,425 members, 7,800,922 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:00 AM

Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer (48941 Views)

Dara Oladosu Accepts Twitter Job Offer, Meets Jack Dorsey / Bill Gates Says He's 'heartbroken' By The Death Of His Microsoft Cofounder / ₦26 Trillion Net, Mark Zuckerberg And Wife Pictured On The Street Of California (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by Nobody: 4:39pm On Dec 06, 2016
A 23-year-old Nigerian entrepreneur, Chris Kwekowe turned down a job offer to work as a software engineer at Microsoft, owned by the richest man in the world, Bill Gates, in order to begin his own start-up in Lagos.

The Lagos State University computer science graduate proudly revealed this to Bill Gates during a television interview for Africa’s brightest young entrepreneurs in August 2016.

Kwekowe, who won the 2015 Anzisha Prize which came with a $25,000 cheque, said he rejected the offer to build up his own startup, Slatecube– a website aimed at helping other young Nigerians find jobs.

"When I told him, Gates was intrigued and he smiled. After the programme, all the directors were like, ‘Dude, you mean you actually turned down a job at Microsoft and had the guts to tell Bill Gates?’

Kwekowe founded Slatecube with his brother Emerald, 20, in October 2014. The pair funded their efforts by freelancing as web designers and running a software solutions firm.He said Slatecube seeks to solve that problem by nurturing the graduates through digital internships and so far, Slatecube has an 80% employment rate for its users. Companies that have used the platform, have saved over $100,000 in 2015 by hiring skilled, ready to work employees.

In a Facebook post published last August, Chris narrated in details of his meeting with Bill Gates:
"Oh yeah, I did meet with Bill Gates in Durban, South Africa where we had some candid discussion about everything - from his involvement with charitable causes in the continent, to how he makes time to be a great father for his kids. My favourite moments were watching his reaction after I told him I turned down job offers from Microsoft and the likes to pursue something more defining for me, and how Africa's development depends more on sustainable investments in innovative social startups like Slatecube that solve some of the continent's biggest problems, rather than donating entirely to charity organisations who end up requiring more financial injection to deal with the minutest of issues. Anyways, we'd be working with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to make our value proposition at Slatecube a pan-African privilege. Soon, you'd rather be in demand across the globe, and engage in companies and projects that make you better, and suits your career goals. Nothing can really be better"

http://www.jeloser.info/2016/12/23-year-old-nigerian-entrepreneur.html

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by wickyyolo: 4:44pm On Dec 06, 2016
Some people get mind oh.

60 Likes

Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by CoolFreeday(m): 5:03pm On Dec 06, 2016
when you know your worth.....

240 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by DoyenExchange: 5:18pm On Dec 06, 2016
The sky is his stepping stone....

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by compressordaf(m): 6:56pm On Dec 06, 2016
yeye

3 Likes

Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by eezeribe(m): 6:57pm On Dec 06, 2016
OK
Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by wizzybro10(m): 6:57pm On Dec 06, 2016
Dis guy get mind oooo

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by datola: 6:57pm On Dec 06, 2016
Correct guy!

4 Likes

Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by edlion57(m): 6:58pm On Dec 06, 2016
nigeria get brains ooo but the problem is dat na only the brainless ones der rule us

115 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by passyhansome(m): 6:58pm On Dec 06, 2016
IT DOESN'T GUARANTEE SUCCESS, SOME PLAYER'S TURNED DOWN BIG CLUBS AT THE OF THEIR CAREER REGRETTED, MEANWHILE I LOVE HIS GUTS ANYWAY

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by olaxx: 6:58pm On Dec 06, 2016
This only happens when you know where exactly you are going.
Am most certain this young man is going places.

Turbo Brain

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by riczy(m): 6:58pm On Dec 06, 2016
Jux passing
Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by ritababe(f): 6:58pm On Dec 06, 2016
nairalanddss:
A 23-year-old Nigerian entrepreneur, Chris Kwekowe turned down a job offer to work as a software engineer at Microsoft, owned by the richest man in the world, Bill Gates, in order to begin his own start-up in Lagos.

The Lagos State University computer science graduate proudly revealed this to Bill Gates during a television interview for Africa’s brightest young entrepreneurs in August 2016.

Kwekowe, who won the 2015 Anzisha Prize which came with a $25,000 cheque, said he rejected the offer to build up his own startup, Slatecube– a website aimed at helping other young Nigerians find jobs.

"When I told him, Gates was intrigued and he smiled. After the programme, all the directors were like, ‘Dude, you mean you actually turned down a job at Microsoft and had the guts to tell Bill Gates?’

Kwekowe founded Slatecube with his brother Emerald, 20, in October 2014. The pair funded their efforts by freelancing as web designers and running a software solutions firm.He said Slatecube seeks to solve that problem by nurturing the graduates through digital internships and so far, Slatecube has an 80% employment rate for its users. Companies that have used the platform, have saved over $100,000 in 2015 by hiring skilled, ready to work employees.

In a Facebook post published last August, Chris narrated in details of his meeting with Bill Gates:
"Oh yeah, I did meet with Bill Gates in Durban, South Africa where we had some candid discussion about everything - from his involvement with charitable causes in the continent, to how he makes time to be a great father for his kids. My favourite moments were watching his reaction after I told him I turned down job offers from Microsoft and the likes to pursue something more defining for me, and how Africa's development depends more on sustainable investments in innovative social startups like Slatecube that solve some of the continent's biggest problems, rather than donating entirely to charity organisations who end up requiring more financial injection to deal with the minutest of issues. Anyways, we'd be working with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to make our value proposition at Slatecube a pan-African privilege. Soon, you'd rather be in demand across the globe, and engage in companies and projects that make you better, and suits your career goals. Nothing can really be better"

http://www.jeloser.info/2016/12/23-year-old-nigerian-entrepreneur.html

bill gate is no longer the richest man in the world

3 Likes

Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by Mosthandsomeboy(m): 6:59pm On Dec 06, 2016
Publicity stunts,i wont dare turn that down,

1 Like

Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by AlexCk: 6:59pm On Dec 06, 2016
Intelligent and smart!

#perfect

2 Likes

Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by deluxegift(f): 6:59pm On Dec 06, 2016
he has guts..
Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by Nobody: 6:59pm On Dec 06, 2016
This boy's village people are very very strong

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by sashx(m): 6:59pm On Dec 06, 2016
Luv diz. Confidence and believing in ur dreams

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by Nutase: 6:59pm On Dec 06, 2016
cool
Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by xGun: 6:59pm On Dec 06, 2016
Respect!
Bill Gate will surely have a sleepless night

1 Like

Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by lordhugo(m): 6:59pm On Dec 06, 2016
If only we had more of you and me in this country.

3 Likes

Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by Ekpekus(m): 6:59pm On Dec 06, 2016
I call this laser focus... He knows what he wants and was not distracted by the offer.

Although this kind thing dey hard to do o grin
Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by beautyerhu86(f): 7:00pm On Dec 06, 2016
When you have a $25, 000 cheque, then you can turn down Bill Gates offer. Hmmmmmm someone like me will accept the offer and continue with my website; that's the Nigerian spirit ohhhhhhh.

20 Likes

Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by katunboy: 7:00pm On Dec 06, 2016
I will say he is smart, but in dis lagos?? Na God o.
Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by Johnbosco77(m): 7:00pm On Dec 06, 2016
God don bless ma guy. abeg baba God bless me too. and ma peeps wey de dis forum. amen.
man must marry, build house, and raise him children.

2 Likes

Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by KingOvoramwen1(m): 7:00pm On Dec 06, 2016
Nice
Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by 2poundz(m): 7:00pm On Dec 06, 2016
He should have accepted the offer and continued with his private practice. Though depending on the nature of the job, if it's time consuming.

2 Likes

Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by dreezybines: 7:00pm On Dec 06, 2016
Confidence...

Brain...

Men I really need to work harder...

Nice post @ op...
Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by jidxin(m): 7:01pm On Dec 06, 2016
when u know ur worth
Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by Orikinla(m): 7:01pm On Dec 06, 2016
Great decision.
Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by johnstar(m): 7:01pm On Dec 06, 2016
Kk
Re: Chris Kwekowe Pictured With Bill Gates As He Turns Down His Job Offer by Braaad: 7:01pm On Dec 06, 2016
Duff hat for you Bro. ...you really know where you're going.

Welcome to the 2% club.

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Webmasters, Showcase Your Projects Here / Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng / Saad Abdulganiy Built A House In Ilorin (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.