Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,941 members, 7,806,721 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:49 PM

10 Classic Children Novels We Loved Back Then. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 10 Classic Children Novels We Loved Back Then. (3214 Views)

You First Loved Me (Christian Romance) By Rose Akpabio / Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. / 10 Classic Children Novels We Loved Back Then (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Classic Children Novels We Loved Back Then. by Erystro(m): 5:48pm On Dec 07, 2016
Literature class was one of our favorites back then in primary school,

It wasn’t like the complex literature we started in secondary school where you had to discuss themes from a dialogue or write lengthy notes based on a conversation or a story. It was basic and we loved it. While the list of literature books varied from schools to schools, there were some that kept making appearances,

Maybe because they were so good and all! Here is a list of the top ten favorites..

1. Sugar Girl by Kola Onadipe
Sugar Girl was the story of Ralia and her adventures when she went missing.

2. Chike and The River by Chinua Achebe
Chinua Achebe wrote about the boy who wanted to cross the River Niger. I remember Samuel Maduka Obi (S.M.O) and his S.M.O.G name which meant “Save Me Oh God”

3. Without A Silver Spoon by Eddie Iroh
Without A Silver Spoon is the story of Ure Chokwe who comes from a poor family and the challenges he had to go through.

4. Eze Goes to School by Onuora Nzekwu and Michael Crowder
Eze is determined to go to school but he has to deal with the problems he has.

5. Koku Baboni by Kola Onadipe
Koku Baboni calls into question a village’s practice of leaving one of a set of twins to die. It introduces young readers to complex questions about human rights.

6. The Drummer Boy by Cyprian Ekwensi
The story of Akin, a blind drummer who inspires everyone with his talents, celebrates the uniqueness of the individual and how self-fulfillment can help us touch the lives of others.

7. Bottled Leopard by Chukwuemeka Ike
The book tells of Amobi, a first-year secondary school student, who is troubled by dreams of a leopard.

8. Tales Out of School by Nkem Nwankwo
Another great story about a young person’s first year at secondary school. The protagonist Bayo experiences a class rebellion and a challenge to the school football team during his first term at school.

9. The Village School by Anezi Okoro
Anezi Okoro is a children’s stories expert with a long resume; this classic tale of a village school in southeastern Nigeria – first published in 1966 – has stood the test of time.

10. The First Corn by Mabel Segun
Mabel Segun is one of Nigeria’s best-loved children’s novelists. This story of how a man first discovered corn fully engages younger readers.
Re: 10 Classic Children Novels We Loved Back Then. by eezeribe(m): 5:50pm On Dec 07, 2016
Bottled Leopard... Amaobi ugochukwu.... Years have gone bye
Re: 10 Classic Children Novels We Loved Back Then. by Jafar1: 5:56pm On Dec 07, 2016
I love chick and the river, things fall apart eze goes to school etc
Re: 10 Classic Children Novels We Loved Back Then. by Jafar1: 5:56pm On Dec 07, 2016
I love chike and the river, things fall apart eze goes to school etc
I love chike and the river, things fall apart, eze goes to school etc
Re: 10 Classic Children Novels We Loved Back Then. by Kentura(m): 5:59pm On Dec 07, 2016
sugar girl, chike and the river, one week one trouble, eze goes to sch, these novels were legendary!
Re: 10 Classic Children Novels We Loved Back Then. by Kaycee7(m): 6:23am On Dec 08, 2016
I have read all except Sugar Girl, Koku Baboni & The First Corn.
Re: 10 Classic Children Novels We Loved Back Then. by Kaycee7(m): 6:29am On Dec 08, 2016
Also read :
An African Night's Entertainment
Akin Goes To School
Sani Goes To School
Eze Goes To College
The Adventures of Souza
The Drums of Joy
Footsteps In The Dark
and a whole lot more, not to mention the foreign novels. I hope kids today still read for leisure, with all these satellite tv and easy phone access these days.

1 Like

Re: 10 Classic Children Novels We Loved Back Then. by deepblue012: 11:33am On Jan 09, 2022
SCHOOL BOOKS FOR 2ND TERM 2022

WEEKLY - CONTINUOUS ASSESSMENT (C.A) FOR 2ND TERM, IS NOW AVAILABLE FROM KG, NUR. TO BASIC 6 AND JSS 1 TO SS3, WRITTEN BASE ON THE NEW SCHEME.

BY : - * NEW TREND - SHOYESON
* RAZAT PUBLISHER
* SONAT (EFFECTIVE)

CALL OR WHATSAPP: 09128586853

(1) (Reply)

Kids Definition Of Love / Complete The Shortest Horror Story / All In A Circle...(a Crime Story)-- The Completion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.