Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,370 members, 7,781,038 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:52 AM

Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? (28117 Views)

Two Airplanes Collide At Lagos Airport / FAAN Releases Lists Of Prohibited Items For Passengers / Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by Explorers(m): 5:57pm On Dec 07, 2016
It is most unlikely that a parachute will be of use if a passenger plane crashes.

Even a plane load of active military parachutists takes several minutes of reasonably steady flight to exit.

Parachuting takes nerve, skill, and strength. One has to force oneself into a 150 mph slipstream, hold a posture that stops one tangling with the parachute as it opens, steer clear of one's fellows and land safely.

Think what the casualty list would be if a typical group of passengers were to attempt their first descents in an emergency.

The average man, woman or child in a Boeing would stand a better chance of survival riding the plane down.

Reasons.

1. Parachutes are bulky, heavy and expensive.

They would not even fit under your seat, they would occupy a lot of space and add a lot of weight.

They would also need regular inspection and repacking.

To provide several hundred per airplane would add significantly to costs, making flying much more expensive.

33 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by ritababe(f): 5:58pm On Dec 07, 2016
I wonder why too.

4 Likes

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Dec 07, 2016
Explorer ,no harm intended,but I'd like to know what you studied in school,cos you sure do educate folks.

33 Likes

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by Explorers(m): 6:00pm On Dec 07, 2016
2. Passengers are not trained to use them.

Without a minimum of training, most people would not even be able to strap the parachute on correctly, never mind open it and land safely.

Even on the ground and with plenty of time this is not easy.

In the confined space of an airliner and in a high-stress situation it would be even more difficult.

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by Jafar1: 6:02pm On Dec 07, 2016
SIMPLE, NO ONE TO PROVIDE
Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by hahn(m): 6:02pm On Dec 07, 2016
That is why I always pack a poly bag handy

cheesy grin

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 07, 2016
Explorers don come again grin
Best poster of the year

32 Likes

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by sleekydee1(m): 6:03pm On Dec 07, 2016
ritababe:
I wonder why too.

how can u b wondering? if u re a science student(no offence to art n commercial folks), envisage a crashing airplane it now and answer dis questions

(1) if dey hv parachutes. whr will dey pass out?(remember no eject button)

(2) a plane crash wud most likely b out of balance eida sideways or nose dive, in situations like dt, how do u get to d exist to use ur parachute?

only way a parachute will b possible in commercial airlines is if we hv a new advanced airplanes, dt has eject buttons and uses same tech convertible cars uses, roof slide open, eject button activated.

17 Likes

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by Explorers(m): 6:05pm On Dec 07, 2016
3. There isn't a convenient way to jump out of typical airliners.

You would need to redesign aircraft with a special jumping exit(the rear).

Just jumping out of normal side-facing airplane doors or emergency hatches you would probably hit the wing, the engine, or the tail.

You would need to install a ramp on the rear of the cabin.

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by Explorers(m): 6:07pm On Dec 07, 2016
4. Every Man for Himself.

Unless passengers wanted to fly suited up and tethered for a static jump, parachuting from a commercial airplane will be an AFF jump; however, unlike the conditions that students get training and trained instructors to assist, commercial passengers will just have to learn as they go.

In addition, they will have to keep calm and proceed in an orderly fashion, which will require most to patiently wait their turn to exit.

This is not likely to happen.

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by Explorers(m): 6:10pm On Dec 07, 2016
5. Parachuting Only Makes Sense if Something Happens in Mid-Flight.

The only feasible time for people to jump from the plane is while it’s cruising.

However, most fatal airline accidents occur on airplanes during takeoff and landing.

Consider that between 2003 and 2012,only 9% of all fatal accidents on commercial flights, seven total, occurred while the plane was cruising; moreover, at least one of those accidents happened as a result of wind shear or thunderstorm.

This is a situation where parachuting is extremely dangerous even if you’re an expert.

So even if parachuting were feasible from a jetliner, the conditions in which parachutes could theoretically save lives are almost never apparent in fatal commercial accidents.

But even if they were, it still wouldn’t be a good idea.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by sleekydee1(m): 6:10pm On Dec 07, 2016
Explorers:
3. There isn't a convenient way to jump out of typical airliners.

You would need to redesign aircraft with a special jumping exit(the rear).

Just jumping out of normal side-facing airplane doors or emergency hatches you would probably hit the wing, the engine, or the tail.

You would need to install a ramp on the rear of the cabin.

gbayi!!! ur head dey dere

1 Like

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by Explorers(m): 6:11pm On Dec 07, 2016
6. Jetliners Cruise Very High and Very Fast.

At 35,000 feet (three times higher than a typical jump) every passenger would need high altitude equipment (HALO)that includes an oxygen tank, mask and regulator, flight suit, ballistic helmet and altimeter just to manage the thin air.

Or they could just pass out from hypoxia and wake up later, hopefully when the parachute automatically deployed at under 15,000 - 20,000 feet.

Of course, none of this would matter since the plane is moving so fast (600 mph), and it is so large, that many passengers would almost certainly smash into it and suffer debilitating if not fatal injuries.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by Kingsasian(m): 6:15pm On Dec 07, 2016
Then parachutes should be attached to aeroplanes in order to reduce the speed of free fall of planes.

70 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by Explorers(m): 6:18pm On Dec 07, 2016
7. Whole Plane Parachutes May Save Lives In Future.

There is hope, however. Over the past few years, many small planes have been equipped with whole-plane parachutes that slow the craft’s descent.

As of late 2013, the largest planes equipped with these safety devices carry five people, but plans are in the works for putting them on larger crafts.

As one manufacturer said, “There is no doubt that big commercial airlines of the future will be equipped with some kind of parachute recovery system.”

Source: http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/02/dont-commercial-airplanes-parachutes-passengers/

https://www.quora.com/Why-dont-airlines-have-parachutes-for-passengers?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C3947283052

32 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by Kingsasian(m): 6:20pm On Dec 07, 2016
Make sense.
Explorers:
7. Whole Plane Parachutes May Save Lives In Future.

There is hope, however. Over the past few years, many small planes have been equipped with whole-plane parachutes that slow the craft’s descent.

As of late 2013, the largest planes equipped with these safety devices carry five people, but plans are in the works for putting them on larger crafts.

As one manufacturer said, “There is no doubt that big commercial airlines of the future will be equipped with some kind of parachute recovery system.”

Source: http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/02/dont-commercial-airplanes-parachutes-passengers/

https://www.quora.com/Why-dont-airlines-have-parachutes-for-passengers?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C3947283052
exactly what I meant immediately before this post.

34 Likes

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by ichommy(m): 6:27pm On Dec 07, 2016
hahn:
That is why I always pack a poly bag handy
cheesy grin
grin grin grin

58 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by hahn(m): 6:29pm On Dec 07, 2016
Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Dec 07, 2016
Seun should just give explorer award this December o....

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by shumuel(m): 6:50pm On Dec 07, 2016
Explorers:
1. Parachutes are bulky, heavy and expensive.

They would not even fit under your seat, they would occupy a lot of space and add a lot of weight.

They would also need regular inspection and repacking.

To provide several hundred per airplane would add significantly to costs, making flying much more expensive.

@Bolded, i beg to disagree bro, i think the best way to have enough for every passanger is to incorporate the parachutes into the seats, i mean it looks more like a bag/backsack and its not even as big as a camp bag, so i believe they should be able to fit it into the seats, i have the idea already grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by paschal47(m): 6:58pm On Dec 07, 2016
Explorer me I go like dash you something for the Xmas oo

you are just one correct guy for this NL

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by ritababe(f): 7:23pm On Dec 07, 2016
paschal47:

do am make we see, no be by mouth.

12 Likes

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by winetapper: 7:50pm On Dec 07, 2016
Lol Explorer believe I wanted to ask you this same question today.. shocked

Was even thinking since they crash land, why dont planes have landing foam that will deploy once the pilot feels its necessary. To enable soft landing that won't cause the plane to break etc.

3 Likes

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by Explorers(m): 7:55pm On Dec 07, 2016
winetapper:

Was even thinking since they crash land, why dont planes have landing foam that will deploy once the pilot feels its necessary. To enable soft landing that won't cause the plane to break etc.

They re working towards no 7 now.

3 Likes

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by Explorers(m): 8:09pm On Dec 07, 2016
shumuel:

@Bolded, i beg to disagree bro, i think the best way to have enough for every passanger is to incorporate the parachutes into the seats, i mean it looks more like a bag/backsack and its not even as big as a camp bag, so i believe they should be able to fit it into the seats, i have the idea already grin

Even if it fits, most plane crashes occurs so sudden, like power or electrical failure. Situation like these will make the plane to lose stability, so there wont be time to move about 200 passengers or more to emergency exit(If they've all been trained to jump).

Note, there will be nursing mothers on board, crying kids, fathers, mothers, couples hugging each other, old men&women, disabled, sick people and so on.

For 30mins or more, crews will be struggling to fix the jump gears on the passengers and crash impact is less than 2mins.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by Rich4god(m): 8:38pm On Dec 07, 2016
paschal47:

Shey u go dash me too....
Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by sulmeza(m): 8:48pm On Dec 07, 2016
man of d year.....gbayi
Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by paschal47(m): 8:48pm On Dec 07, 2016
ritababe:

do am make we see, no be by mouth.
sisi rita no be quarrel na lol

1 Like

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by shumuel(m): 8:57pm On Dec 07, 2016
Explorers:

Even if it fits, most plane crashes occurs so sudden, like power or electrical failure. Situation like these will make the plane to lose stability, so there wont be time to move about 200 passengers or more to emergency exit(If they've all been trained to jump).

Note, there will be nursing mothers on board, crying kids, fathers, mothers, couples hugging each other, old men&women, disabled, sick people and so on.

For 30mins or more, crews will be struggling to fix the jump gears on the passengers and crash impact is less than 2mins.

True sad

2 Likes

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by DEIFIED(m): 9:17pm On Dec 07, 2016
I have always been thinking about this.
I also have this idea, about putting big parachutes on planes, so that it can be launch if the plane engine shut down or any other complications , the parachute will reduce the planes impact onto earth.

3 Likes

Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by swagifted(m): 9:43pm On Dec 07, 2016
winetapper:

soft landing, in the air.. Falling at over 500mph..them no de gear down for air sha.
Re: Why Dont Commercial Airplanes Have Parachutes For Passengers? by ritababe(f): 9:56pm On Dec 07, 2016
paschal47:
sisi rita no be quarrel na lol
lol

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cuba Plane Boeing 737 Crashes Near Havana Airport / Apongbon Underbridge Lagos On Fire, Please Be Careful As you Plan Your Day / Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.