Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,396 members, 7,808,423 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:44 AM

Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. (8204 Views)

Marriage List Given To Man By His Father-In-law / Man Impregnates His Sister In-law To Punish His "Abusive" Wife / My Father-in-law Is Making My Wife To Disrespect Me! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by Deshalom(m): 5:26am On Dec 08, 2016
Hi guys, So it happens I will be meeting my father in law to be for the first time including her brothers. I have met with her mum ones and do call her ones in a while.

Please I need advise on how to make the meeting go smoothly.

1 Like

Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by EYIBLESSN(m): 5:44am On Dec 08, 2016
Dress Nicely, Be simple in your dressing and in your doings. Be observant. Beam in with smile. Listen before you talk. Be able to relate what you does with what is coming out of your mouth.

Buy the family nice gifts even though they are more than what you will buy.

Be straightforward. Discuss with the Mum the more.

Be an open person to the Dad through what you say.

8 Likes

Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by Deshalom(m): 5:47am On Dec 08, 2016
EYIBLESSN:
Dress Nicely, Be simple in your dressing and in your doings. Be observant. Beam in with smile. Listen before you talk. Be able to relate what you does with what is coming out of your mouth.

Buy the family nice gifts even though they are more than what you will buy.

Be straightforward. Discuss with the Mum the more.

Be an open person to the Dad through what you say.

Noted. Thank you sir

2 Likes

Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by Nutase: 6:20am On Dec 08, 2016
Be yourself.

3 Likes

Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by somadinho10: 6:42am On Dec 08, 2016
Buy them a cow angry

1 Like

Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by 9jaBloke: 6:48am On Dec 08, 2016
If your fiancé is from a different tribe, learn the basics of her culture. Especially how they relate with elders.

Your appearance and comportment matters, so dress well and be confident (be careful not to appear arrogant). You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

The Dad will want to confirm that you are capable of taking care of his daughter, so be prepared to answers questions about your career and future plans and choose your words carefully.

The mum will definitely be interested in how you really feel about her daughter, so your actions and gestures around your fiancé will be observed.

Relate freely with her siblings, their opinion will count when you leave.

Meanwhile, breathe in, relax and say a little prayer. You'll be fine.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by Mimzyy(f): 6:49am On Dec 08, 2016
Just be yourself. Relax too and be composed.

Don't start what you cannot finish. If you do not feel like buying them anything, then don't.

Your FIL will like you or otherwise regardless of what you try to entice him with. All the best.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by Deshalom(m): 6:51am On Dec 08, 2016
Nutase:
Be yourself.

Thank you. But are there any topic of discussion dat could come up. Like questions
Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by Deshalom(m): 6:54am On Dec 08, 2016
somadinho10:
Buy them a cow angry
Lol, dat wud have been nice sha.

2 Likes

Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by Deshalom(m): 6:56am On Dec 08, 2016
9jaBloke:
If your fiancé is from a different tribe, learn the basics of her culture. Especially how they relate with elders.

Your appearance and comportment matters, so dress well and be confident (be careful not to appear arrogant). You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

The Dad will want to confirm that you are capable of taking care of his daughter, so be prepared to answers questions about your career and future plans and choose your words carefully.

The mum will definitely be interested in how you really feel about her daughter, so your actions and gestures around your fiancé will be observed.

Gbam! Just wat I needed. Thank you sir

2 Likes

Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by Deshalom(m): 6:58am On Dec 08, 2016
Mimzyy:

Don't start what you cannot finish. If you do not feel like buying them anything, then don't.

Your FIL will like you or otherwise regardless of what you try to entice him with. All the best.

Thank you ma, Your words are very helpful.
Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by Mimzyy(f): 7:00am On Dec 08, 2016
Deshalom:

Thank you ma, Your words are very helpful.

Uw Sir.

1 Like

Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by Mimzyy(f): 7:01am On Dec 08, 2016
Spot on.
9jaBloke:

1 Like

Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by Nutase: 7:45am On Dec 08, 2016
Deshalom:

Thank you. But are there any topic of discussion dat could come up. Like questions
he can engage you on sports, politics, career, religion etc. Just be prepared.
Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by JoeBlocks(m): 7:47am On Dec 08, 2016
What exactly do you seek advice for? I believe if you can not man up and face your future father-in-law, then you shouldn't be marrying his daughter.? grin

What happened to being a man and man up?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by 9jaBloke: 8:29am On Dec 08, 2016
Deshalom:

Gbam! Just wat I needed. Thank you sir

Yw.

Mimzyy:
Spot on.

Thank you Ma wink
Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by NL1960: 9:07am On Dec 08, 2016
Deshalom:
Hi guys, So it happens I will be meeting my father in law to be for the first time including her brothers. I have met with her mum ones and do call her ones in a while.

Please I need advise on how to make the meeting go smoothly.

Is your babe the only daughter or is she a daddy's girl?. If she is, then be well prepared to answer a lot of questions. Ask your babe the areas of interest of her father and try and have some knowledge in those areas. For instance, if your FIL has an interest in US politics and he then ask you what your take on the last US election was and you reply 'i feel Obama deserved to win the election'. cheesy. My guy, you don fail be that.

4 Likes

Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by Richy4(m): 10:22am On Dec 08, 2016
Deshalom:

My daughter said that you are an Engineer/DR./ETC......what area do you specialize in?
Please you were expected to make it sound interesting....even if it is as boring as my profession just make it look like Donald Trump would be really happy to have you as son inlaw because of what u do......

Politics....This Buhari Government is biting everyone due to funny decisions....what is your take on it.....If you do not know or like to talk about Politics, Just mumble polite words like yea things are tough in the country...that you do not talk about politics so that you will not upset yourself...But that you believe that things will be ok soon in the country....

Your home town/ Your Family...Tell him were you come from.... No boasting....Be humble in this particular topic...even if your dad was Bill Gate...Some people can smell a proud person from afar...
Goodluck Bro
grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by Deshalom(m): 10:53am On Dec 08, 2016
JoeBlocks:
What exactly do you seek advice for? I believe if you can not man up and face your future father-in-law, then you shouldn't be marrying his daughter.? grin

What happened to being a man and man up?

The issue is not about been man enough just wanna make a gud first impression. Asking for advise from guys who have gone through same road does not seem to be a sign dat I cant marry his daughter.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by Deshalom(m): 10:54am On Dec 08, 2016
NL1960:

Is your babe the only daughter or is she a daddy's girl?. If she is, then be well prepared to answer a lot of questions. Ask your babe the areas of interest of her father and try and have some knowledge in those areas. For instance, if your FIL has an interest in US politics and he then ask you what your take on the last US election was and you reply 'i feel Obama deserved to win the election'. cheesy. My guy, you don fail be that.

Yea, she is the only daughter with 3 brothers.

1 Like

Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by Deshalom(m): 10:56am On Dec 08, 2016
Richy4:

My daughter said that you are an Engineer/DR./ETC......what area do you specialize in?
Please you were expected to make it sound interesting....even if it is as boring as my profession just make it look like Donald Trump would be really happy to have you as son inlaw because of what u do......

Politics....This Buhari Government is biting everyone due to funny decisions....what is your take on it.....If you do not know or like to talk about Politics, Just mumble polite words like yea things are tough in the country...that you do not talk about politics so that you will not upset yourself...But that you believe that things will be ok soon in the country....

Your home town/ Your Family...Tell him were you come from.... No boasting....Be humble in this particular topic...even if your dad was Bill Gate...Some people can smell a proud person from afar...
Goodluck Bro
grin grin

Thank you for your helpful words.
Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by JoeBlocks(m): 11:07am On Dec 08, 2016
Deshalom:

The issue is not about been man enough just wanna make a gud first impression. Asking for advise from guys who have gone through same road does not seem to be a sign dat I cant marry his daughter.
Well asking for advice clearly mean you're not sure of yourself, bro.

It pays to always be yourself!. Trust me, I've been there.
Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by ElsonMorali: 11:17am On Dec 08, 2016
Mimzyy:

But I think courtesy demands that he goes with at least a bottle of wine, especially if he is being invited over for lunch.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by Mimzyy(f): 11:21am On Dec 08, 2016
ElsonMorali:

But I think courtesy demands that he goes with at least a bottle of wine, especially if he is being invited over for lunch.

Yeah, that's fine. He shouldn't go overboard by getting the whole family gifts like a poster suggested except of course if his pocket is very friendly with him atm.

5 Likes

Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by NL1960: 11:38am On Dec 08, 2016
ElsonMorali:

Mimzyy:

Yeah, that's fine. He shouldn't go overboard by getting the whole family gifts like a poster suggested except of course if his pocket is very friendly with him atm.

Iam in support of this. A bottle of a good and fine wine is good. The OP can ask his babe if her father is a lover of wine or a lover of spirits and if he has a particular type that he likes.

6 Likes

Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by 9jaBloke: 2:26pm On Dec 08, 2016
ElsonMorali:

Touche'

2 Likes

Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by Deshalom(m): 6:03am On Dec 09, 2016
NL1960:

Iam in support of this. A bottle of a good and fine wine is good. The OP can ask his babe if her father is a lover of wine or a lover of spirits and if he has a particular type that he likes.

Yea, he loves wines. As suggested i will get him a bottle of wine.

2 Likes

Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by NL1960: 9:16am On Dec 09, 2016
Deshalom:

Do not forget to give us a feedback on how it went after the visit.

1 Like

Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by udoka55555: 8:48pm On Jul 17, 2020
Op...I am in your shoes right now as I am typing.

I am in my FIL house and we are yet to start having a conversation.

I don't know what he will ask me.

2 Likes

Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by Hollasmall: 7:12am On Jul 20, 2020
udoka55555:
Op...I am in your shoes right now as I am typing.

I am in my FIL house and we are yet to start having a conversation.

I don't know what he will ask me.

So, how was it bro?
Share your experience for the sake of others
Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by bukatyne(f): 7:52am On Jul 20, 2020
Deshalom:

Are you guys married?

This is four years after.
Re: Meeting My Father In Law To Be, For The First Time. by Nobody: 8:56am On Jul 20, 2020
bukatyne:

Are you guys married?

This is four years after.

Monitoring Spirit ahn ahn. I didn't even notice the dates on the discussion.

Well, maybe it ended in entanglements & they called it a day cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tiwa Savage’s Husband Beats Her; Marriage In Serious Trouble / List Of Cartoon Television Programs With Lesbian, Gay And Bisexual Characters. / Is This Normal Or Am I Overreacting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.