Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,991 members, 7,803,282 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:55 PM

Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? (20384 Views)

What Is Wrong With Feminism / My Argument Against Feminism / Personal Thoughts On Feminism As A Nigerian. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Ohibenemma(m): 9:06am On Dec 08, 2016
Many years ago, the afro beat crooner, the late Fela Anikulapo Kuti sang about the emerging “modern” African lady. In the lyrics, he stated that : “she wan siddon for table before anybody…she wan take piece of meat before anybody…” and so on. Today, many years after, we see this at play in our society. It has been on for long, but its proponents are closer home than ever. They call themselves FEMINISTS.

I have listened to the arguments by Feminists over the years and have reached the simple conclusion that it is a very flawed subject. I have asked myself many times, and will ask again: what exactly do feminists want?

A Christian, I will draw my creation story from that handed down to us in the Holy Bible, which tells of how the man was first created, and the woman created FROM him to be a help meet for him. Now, this in no way prescribes a particular pattern of inordinate overlordship, but it does clearly state a hierarchy. This fact is alluded to in other chapters of the Bible, opening up the debate of who is actually superior between the male and female genders. I will attempt to answer that question. None. What was created was a partnership, not a feudalist set-up. However, it was a partnership with a hierarchy. Well, that’s not the focus of this write-up.

I have listened to and read speeches by modern day feminists, including our very own award winning writer, Chimamanda Adichie, and laughed. Not because I despise them or what they stand for, but because their claims are filled with operational contradictions. They claim to desire an equal standing by women with men, but operationally desire maintenance of the status quo. But isn’t it laughable that women would want an equality that can hardly be sustained by their biological set-ups? What about those hormonal factors that men don’t experience? What happens to the physical protuberances and monthly visits? I have observed these and laughed even more.

But, aside the mirth, I have observed that against their claims, the feminists do not even desire an equal standing with men; what they actually want is for the men with which they are equal to accord them special privileges because they are women. What segregation could be greater than this? They want the man to do some of the cooking at home, yet they want him to open the car door for them. They want some reservations made for them in government, reservations they will enjoy not because of their abilities, but because they are women! They want to get into male dominated jobs, not because they are physically suited to such, but because they want some representation to hype their ego! I think these people are actually chauvinists in disguise.

I was reading a commentary on the just concluded American elections, and the writer was trying so hard to decry Donald Trump’s victory on the basis of an opportunity lost to the American people to show that they were progressively minded. Since when did progressiveness have to do with some compulsion in favouring particular candidates on account of their sex rather than ability? That hardly sounds progressive to me. Sacrificing competence on the altar of gender, I think, it is actually a schism of sorts – and mediocre!

I remember back then, as a student of political sociology, we learnt that Hobbes’ contention for the formation of government was because, without and prior to it, man was brutish, lawless and life was short. Isn’t this the Almighty’s reason for the different characteristics and responsibilities assigned the two genders? Women, have been known in the course of history (in their place BESIDE THE MAN), to control world leaders even from the comfort of their bedrooms; they have caused men to act in highly benevolent ways just as well as they’ve inspired outrightly irrational reactions. Paupers have been made kings and kings have been brought to their knees, amongst others. Now, stimulated by feminist inspired gender strife, the females have gone into competition with the males, yet when they are decisively trumped, they cry discrimination and play the victim. On one hand, they want to be provided an equal playing ground, yet when they come short, they decry the males for being chauvinistic. Aren’t there areas where the females have a comparative advantage? Would feminists not view advising them to focus on those areas as gender discrimination I know they would.

In our studies of industrial relations, it was contended that one of the veritable ways to achieve specialization was by division of labour; would our modern societies not be helped to function better if each is allowed to develop along the lines of comparative strength? That way, macho ladies can be drafted to the frontlines while sissies (men) can be assigned kitchen duties. Under such arrangement, it wouldn’t be a bother to have a gender percentage of 96/4%, depending on the task, and none would cry discrimination. Also, undue contention would be eliminated and the sexes would function in harmonious symbiosis.

Feminists should know this fact; males and females aren’t created equal; they are rather set up to complement one another. A G-Wagon may be so expensive, but that doesn’t make the bulldozer less of a vehicle in its own right; they are created for different purposes. Only a fool would, however, guide his G-Wagon to go on head-on with a bulldozer. The story would likely be told by others. Let the sexes be; their outcomes were by design and not accident. Be the best IN YOUR PLACE!

Lalasticlala.

161 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by AloyalNigerian(m): 9:18am On Dec 08, 2016
True.
They no go gree pay the bills oooooooo. grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Etogist: 9:18am On Dec 08, 2016
Awesome, I love this. Women cannot eat their cake and have it at the same time.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Ohibenemma(m): 2:44pm On Dec 08, 2016
Etogist:
Awesome, I love this. Women cannot eat their cake and have it at the same time.
That's the very point! They (feminists)wanna eat their cakes and have it.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Nobody: 6:22am On Dec 09, 2016
interesting.

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Ohibenemma(m): 7:51am On Dec 12, 2016
iliketheSunrise:
interesting.
like this was prophetic, Chimamanda has come out to voice her preference for Clinton; and if you read between the lines, you will see that this preference was mainly inspired by her feminity.

Now, we're being mentally boxed into a corner by these feminists. For them, the only qualification that matters is one's sex. Don't you think we should all just lay low and allow the women take over?

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Richie0974: 12:16pm On Dec 12, 2016
But, aside the mirth, I have observed that against their claims, the feminists do not even desire an equal standing with men; what they actually want is for the men with which they are equal to accord them special privileges because they are women. What segregation could be greater than this? They want the man to do some of the cooking at home, yet they want him to open the car door for them. They want some reservations made for them in government, reservations they will enjoy not because of their abilities, but because they are women! They want to get into male dominated jobs, not because they are physically suited to such, but because they want some representation to hype their ego! I think these people are actually chauvinists in disguise.

I always try to explain this to the so called feminists but they just always find a way to wave it. Nice write-up op.

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Tallesty1(m): 12:17pm On Dec 12, 2016
Feminism is self defeating and weak and i will show you how.

Feminism completely ignore when they are treated with positive discrimination, and even the core feminists indirectly accept that women are weak and vulnerable.

When they want to insult a man, they call him pussy or woman. That translates to a weak vulnerable person.

You can't be a feminist and expect chivalry but most of them do.

Fact is, with feminism, women will never attain a centered and profound sense of themselves as women.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by HumanistMike(m): 12:17pm On Dec 12, 2016
That Chimamanda female is not bright. In fact, all feminists deceive themselves. It's like a religion; basically a yearn to impose personal beliefs and preferences on the people.

Chimamanda was in Sweden one time and she was irritated that no male helped her with her luggage when she got out the elevator.
Notice she was only irritated at men. She wasn't irritated at females. She wasn't irritated at males and females equally.
She wasn't smart enough to pack only want she could carry.
She didn't have the common sense and courtesy to appeal for help from the men folk.

She felt her gender gave her the privilege of being helped by men even without her asking.

Men owe women. Men are put on this earth to condescend and bend over backwards for female approval and use.

That's how most women think and definitely, that's how all feminists think. Female supremacy.

These women are smart though. They've invaded major facets of life (TV, Hollywood, Nollywood, academics, legal system, you name it) so as to emasculate and effeminate the male. They know the only way they (the females) can defeat males on a toe-to-toe basis is to dumb down the male.

Why are they succeeding? Man's weakness is obvious and our fathers don't teach us how to curb this weakness. Our fathers don't teach us how to protect ourselves.

If you have heard how young girls / ladies get advice from older women on how to manipulate men, you'll know men have a long way to go.

That's why I was livid when Richard Mofe-Damijo put out a letter to the Boy Child. His letter was rather poorly thought out and put together. I instantly replied him through nairaland but the mods didn't frontpage my piece. You can read it here https://www.nairaland.com/3487643/response-rmd-plight-boy-child

I even tried to respond to RMD on IG but he untagged himself. My response is well detailed and the Actor knows it. He can dish it but can't take it. He's scared of the truth. That grand pa makes me sick. He clearly has an agenda and Male Help is not in it.

64 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Izugalvin: 12:18pm On Dec 12, 2016
Looking for Nigerians living in Florida, could any one help out
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by metrosexual: 12:18pm On Dec 12, 2016
I agree!

My problem with feminists is that why don't they also call for equality in responsibilities as well?

Women write the same JAMB/WAEC as men, attend the same universities, but after that the pressure is put on men to come and marry them, bring out the money to pay bride price, wedding costs, take care of the girls family, etc and feminists don't say anything about that, if equality needs to be uphold then there should be equality in every responsibilities between women and men.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Sodiq3(m): 12:18pm On Dec 12, 2016
A
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Silentscreamer(f): 12:20pm On Dec 12, 2016
Yawns.. To long. Someone shuld summarize.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by dayleke: 12:20pm On Dec 12, 2016
Hmmmm...

They will soon come for you ooo...
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Ublessed1: 12:22pm On Dec 12, 2016
I don't take feminists serious i swear

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by sirfee(m): 12:22pm On Dec 12, 2016
Feminists are very arrogant and rigid,no offence.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by babyfaceafrica: 12:22pm On Dec 12, 2016
Who takes them serious?..feminist and confusion is 5 and 6!!

21 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Ijaya123: 12:23pm On Dec 12, 2016
I have never at any time taken those feminism propagandist serious. In my opinion, another distraction if you ask me.

10 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by sweetcocoa(f): 12:23pm On Dec 12, 2016
talking about biological set up and what not, clearly shows you don't even understand the concept of feminism.

A man is a man and a woman is a woman and they are both human. What feminism advocates is that men should not be treated as a superior human than the women.

How hard can that be to understand? Mschew.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by AngelsAndStars(m): 12:26pm On Dec 12, 2016
most of them would die if they ask a guy out and he says no.
you want to be equal? it's a miserable journey with no end.

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Hannysmilez(f): 12:28pm On Dec 12, 2016
Lol. Nice writey. Too bad you have a wrong view of feminism. I totally understand,a lot of people dont seem to understand it too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Dec 12, 2016
I'm a proud feminist grin tongue cool

I can do whatever I want, whenever I want! cool tongue

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by AnusOdourInhaler: 12:28pm On Dec 12, 2016
Women don't know what they want!

11 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Nobody: 12:29pm On Dec 12, 2016
That is why I would advice ladies to never ask a guy out....EVER! undecided tongue
AngelsAndStars:
most of them would die if they ask a guy out and he says no.

you want to be equal? it's a miserable journey with no end.
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by FrankNetter(m): 12:30pm On Dec 12, 2016
No one takes them serious anyway undecided

4 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Nobody: 12:30pm On Dec 12, 2016
Is that a bad thing? It's called being human! smiley
AnusOdourInhaler:
Women don't know what they want!
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by haibe(m): 12:31pm On Dec 12, 2016
Lol
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by JonSnow(m): 12:31pm On Dec 12, 2016
ItsQuinn:

Tah! Mechi onu gi there.

25 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by AngelsAndStars(m): 12:32pm On Dec 12, 2016
ItsQuinn:
That is why I would advice ladies to never ask a guy out....EVER! undecided tongue
that's why you cannot be equal dear.

leave that to the strong. the men.

36 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Rozaystunna(m): 12:34pm On Dec 12, 2016
[quote author=ItsQuinn post=51856986]I'm a proud feminist grin tongue cool

I can do whatever I want, whenever I want! cool tongue[/quotle]
Your type need to be lynched

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by AnusOdourInhaler: 12:35pm On Dec 12, 2016
ItsQuinn:
Not when with me

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Shocking Village That Eat Human Meat **pictures** / Why Do Nigerians Think White People Are Ugly? / Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.