Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,622 members, 7,801,801 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:21 PM

Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? (20373 Views)

What Is Wrong With Feminism / My Argument Against Feminism / Personal Thoughts On Feminism As A Nigerian. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Olumaeme: 1:10pm On Dec 12, 2016
Feminism is the most stupid struggle in history!
Women are very selfish and deceptive, they want to have equal responsibilities with men when it come to enjoyment but when it comes to hustle, they claim men are more powerful physically.

When it comes to cooking or washing they want it to be shared equally, but when it comes to Bill's, school fees, they want men to take care of it because any man that can't take care of his house is worse than an infidel.

They want women leaders in political parties but there are no men leaders and they dnt have anything against that.

In relationships they won't the man to open the door, send them romantic gifts, but they won't return the favor.

In the university, engineering for instance, they want men to do all the practicals, carry the concrete, and vehicle engines but will protest when there is descripancies in pay.

They cry for more women in the parliament as if they were prevented from contesting, when thy contest and loose they want some positions to b ceded to them rather than on ground of competency.

Men are created to take the lead and women to be assist.

I told my fiance outrightly that if you want to be equal to me then don't ask when am meeting your parents or who will foot the bill of the wedding or running cost, just divide the bills equally and come have my own part. When we go out on date u pay your bills and I pay mine, i can't pay for your hair since you ain't paying for mine too.
Let's go 50/50 and let's see how it goes, since that day she don get sense.

They want women to be equally represented in the presidential villa but will not protest when there are no women in the army of soldiers fighting Boko Haram in Sambisa Forest.

Hissssss

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by swtdrms(m): 1:14pm On Dec 12, 2016
ItsQuinn:
Is that a bad thing? It's called being human! smiley

Nop, point of correction, men know what they want but women generally don't know what they want.

I once asked a girl out but later discovered she's a feminist. She lacked respect, get offended with everything, and was even acting hard to get. After tough argument one evening, I deleted all her contacts from my phone and social media account. She contacted me after a long period of not hearing from me apologising. But it was too late, am not interested in wasting my precious Tim with chauvinist. Does that sound like someone who knows what she wants?
Mind you, it was this same girl who stylishly asked me out by giving green light signals with lots of worded challenges and accusations

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Mcowubaba: 1:19pm On Dec 12, 2016
This write up is absolutely wonderful..
The worst group of deluded Feminist are in Nigeria, some are here in Nairaland.
The preach Feminism up and down, but are quick to ask favors from men.. Deluded I say, real deluded individuals..

I met one in a bar, after her lengthy display of Feminism and chauvinism, she asked me for transport, daFuk, can't she transport herself, note I wasn't the person who invited her to the Bar.

I have No problem with the philosophy of Feminists, but if u wanna toe that route make sure you do so wholistically.. U can't be only a Feminist in words, action speaks louder

7 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by tolor: 1:19pm On Dec 12, 2016
couliss:
Feminism is the belief in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes.
Feminist activism is the struggle for that equality.
Feminist political activists campaign in areas such as reproductive rights, domestic violence, fairness, social justice, and workplace issues such as family medical leave, equal pay, and sexual harassment and discrimination.
That is feminism how can anyone not support FEMINISM.

not everyone understands feminism to be what you wrote above, some people have a different meaning of feminism as against the original construct and that for me is nauseating.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Dec 12, 2016
Eya! Too bad for that girl....Thank God for experience, she will learn by force. cheesy

Okay, if you say so smiley
swtdrms:

Nop, point of correction, men know what they want but women generally don't know what they want.

I once asked a girl out but later discovered she's a feminist. She lacked respect, get offended with everything, and was even acting hard to get. After tough argument one evening, I deleted all her contacts from my phone and social media account. She contacted me after a long period of not hearing from me apologising. But it was too late, am not interested in wasting my precious Tim with chauvinist. Does that sound like someone who knows what she wants?
Mind you, it was this same girl who stylishly asked me out by giving green light signals with lots of worded challenges and accusations
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by HumanistMike(m): 1:27pm On Dec 12, 2016
couliss:
Feminism is the belief in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes.
Feminist activism is the struggle for that equality.
Feminist political activists campaign in areas such as reproductive rights, domestic violence, fairness, social justice, and workplace issues such as family medical leave, equal pay, and sexual harassment and discrimination.
That is feminism how can anyone not support FEMINISM.

If feminism means that, then what does EGALITARIAN(ISM) mean?

Look up the word, compare its meaning to that of Feminism and educate yourself.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by AngelsAndStars(m): 1:27pm On Dec 12, 2016
tolor:
not everyone understands feminism to be what you wrote above, some people have a different meaning of feminism as against the original construct and that for me is nauseating.
even she did not do justice to the term. I have not heard feminists complain of not being allowed to go face bokoharam or Isis in battle. I have not seen them campaign for men to stop kneeling when proposing or stop paying bride price for a used puccy. they are ALL hypocrites.

if the real definition of equality is employed them Sef go tire.

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Dec 12, 2016
Because that's not what I want to do....ya dig? wink smiley
swtdrms:

Then your feminism is a deception, if you re a feminist who enjoys doing what she want and at anytime, y not boldly ask guys out same way guys ask girls out.
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by goingape1: 1:28pm On Dec 12, 2016
thank you all!
ya said the truth
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by kazyhm(m): 1:32pm On Dec 12, 2016
Ohibenemma:
Many years ago, the afro beat crooner, the late Fela Anikulapo Kuti sang about the emerging “modern” African lady. In the lyrics, he stated that : “she wan siddon for table before anybody…she wan take piece of meat before anybody…” and so on. Today, many years after, we see this at play in our society. It has been on for long, but its proponents are closer home than ever. They call themselves FEMINISTS.

I have listened to the arguments by Feminists over the years and have reached the simple conclusion that it is a very flawed subject. I have asked myself many times, and will ask again: what exactly do feminists want?

A Christian, I will draw my creation story from that handed down to us in the Holy Bible, which tells of how the man was first created, and the woman created FROM him to be a help meet for him. Now, this in no way prescribes a particular pattern of inordinate overlordship, but it does clearly state a hierarchy. This fact is alluded to in other chapters of the Bible, opening up the debate of who is actually superior between the male and female genders. I will attempt to answer that question. None. What was created was a partnership, not a feudalist set-up. However, it was a partnership with a hierarchy. Well, that’s not the focus of this write-up.

I have listened to and read speeches by modern day feminists, including our very own award winning writer, Chimamanda Adichie, and laughed. Not because I despise them or what they stand for, but because their claims are filled with operational contradictions. They claim to desire an equal standing by women with men, but operationally desire maintenance of the status quo. But isn’t it laughable that women would want an equality that can hardly be sustained by their biological set-ups? What about those hormonal factors that men don’t experience? What happens to the physical protuberances and monthly visits? I have observed these and laughed even more.

But, aside the mirth, I have observed that against their claims, the feminists do not even desire an equal standing with men; what they actually want is for the men with which they are equal to accord them special privileges because they are women. What segregation could be greater than this? They want the man to do some of the cooking at home, yet they want him to open the car door for them. They want some reservations made for them in government, reservations they will enjoy not because of their abilities, but because they are women! They want to get into male dominated jobs, not because they are physically suited to such, but because they want some representation to hype their ego! I think these people are actually chauvinists in disguise.

I was reading a commentary on the just concluded American elections, and the writer was trying so hard to decry Donald Trump’s victory on the basis of an opportunity lost to the American people to show that they were progressively minded. Since when did progressiveness have to do with some compulsion in favouring particular candidates on account of their sex rather than ability? That hardly sounds progressive to me. Sacrificing competence on the altar of gender, I think, it is actually a schism of sorts – and mediocre!

I remember back then, as a student of political sociology, we learnt that Hobbes’ contention for the formation of government was because, without and prior to it, man was brutish, lawless and life was short. Isn’t this the Almighty’s reason for the different characteristics and responsibilities assigned the two genders? Women, have been known in the course of history (in their place BESIDE THE MAN), to control world leaders even from the comfort of their bedrooms; they have caused men to act in highly benevolent ways just as well as they’ve inspired outrightly irrational reactions. Paupers have been made kings and kings have been brought to their knees, amongst others. Now, stimulated by feminist inspired gender strife, the females have gone into competition with the males, yet when they are decisively trumped, they cry discrimination and play the victim. On one hand, they want to be provided an equal playing ground, yet when they come short, they decry the males for being chauvinistic. Aren’t there areas where the females have a comparative advantage? Would feminists not view advising them to focus on those areas as gender discrimination I know they would.

In our studies of industrial relations, it was contended that one of the veritable ways to achieve specialization was by division of labour; would our modern societies not be helped to function better if each is allowed to develop along the lines of comparative strength? That way, macho ladies can be drafted to the frontlines while sissies (men) can be assigned kitchen duties. Under such arrangement, it wouldn’t be a bother to have a gender percentage of 96/4%, depending on the task, and none would cry discrimination. Also, undue contention would be eliminated and the sexes would function in harmonious symbiosis.

Feminists should know this fact; males and females aren’t created equal; they are rather set up to complement one another. A G-Wagon may be so expensive, but that doesn’t make the bulldozer less of a vehicle in its own right; they are created for different purposes. Only a fool would, however, guide his G-Wagon to go on head-on with a bulldozer. The story would likely be told by others. Let the sexes be; their outcomes were by design and not accident. Be the best IN YOUR PLACE!

Women and Cats Will Do As They Please.
Men and Dogs Should Relax And Get Used To The Idea.

Women are complicated and self obfuscated entity
most times I only listen to them and do what's on my mind because they are gonna dislike what they suggested and love exactly what I did.

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by iPopAlomo(m): 1:33pm On Dec 12, 2016
sweetcocoa:
talking about biological set up and what not, clearly shows you don't even understand the concept of feminism.

A man is a man and a woman is a woman and they are both human. What feminism advocates is that men should not be treated as a superior human than the women.

How hard can that be to understand? Mschew.

Sharap there...
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by AngelsAndStars(m): 1:33pm On Dec 12, 2016
Mcowubaba:
This write up is absolutely wonderful..
The worst group of deluded Feminist are in Nigeria, some are here in Nairaland.
The preach Feminism up and down, but are quick to ask favors from men.. Deluded I say, real deluded individuals..

I met one in a bar, after her lengthy display of Feminism and chauvinism, she asked me for transport, daFuk, can't she transport herself, note I wasn't the person who invited her to the Bar.

I have No problem with the philosophy of Feminists, but if u wanna toe that route make sure you do so wholistically.. U can't be only a Feminist in words, action speaks louder
yeah, we should mix male footballers with female. we should also mix them in WWE wrestling.. mix them in front line of war. mix them everywhere. no special treats. you are on a date pay your bills. I call you one minute you call me one minute. no bride price, double wedding proposal. I can go on and on.

if I am to accept the concept then it will have to be in totality. no excuses

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Ghost01(m): 1:36pm On Dec 12, 2016
ItsQuinn:
That is why I would advice ladies to never ask a guy out....EVER! undecided tongue
And you earlier called yourself a "proud feminist?"
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by HumanistMike(m): 1:37pm On Dec 12, 2016
sweetcocoa:
talking about biological set up and what not, clearly shows you don't even understand the concept of feminism.

A man is a man and a woman is a woman and they are both human. What feminism advocates is that men should not be treated as a superior human than the women.

Sure. There's nothing stopping women from going to war and being in the frontlines.

The setup has to be equal for both genders with regards to education, jobs, government positions etc. No special treatments. No quota system.

Feminism doesn't want this sort of equality. They want women to not be in the frontline. They want special treatment for women. They want quota system (for women only). They want female supremacy.

9 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by couliss: 1:39pm On Dec 12, 2016
feminism is campaigning against rape,domestic violence and sexual harassment feminism is campaigning for the girl child against female circumcision feminism is against the Rape culture where Victims are often disbelieved Victims often do not report their rapes Victims are often treated poorly by the criminal justice system Rapists often go unpunished Punishments for rape are often light compared to other crimes

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by AngelsAndStars(m): 1:41pm On Dec 12, 2016
sweetcocoa:

you should equally advocate for women not to be treated with certain respect as per being female.

I expect you to advocate for equality of gender in all ramifications. ALL. selection only means you are hypocrites.

talk about sport, war, the mines, prison, hard labour, social constructs. etc

tell me how many men you ever toasted in your feminists life? or tell me how you proposed when he wasted time. talk is cheap.

be below. with dignity and pride. that is the role nature reserved for you

6 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by swtdrms(m): 1:41pm On Dec 12, 2016
ItsQuinn:
Because that's not what I want to do....ya dig? wink smiley

That's what the writer is saying, feminism is contradictory in its ideology and what it hope to achieve. If u want to be a feminist, be a feminist wholly.

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Dec 12, 2016
Every female have different versions of feminism....so I have my own grin.....you men have to select which one is best cheesy tongue
swtdrms:

That's what the writer is saying, feminism is contradictory in its ideology and what it hope to achieve. If u want to be a feminist, be a feminist wholly.

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by sweetcocoa(f): 1:46pm On Dec 12, 2016
AngelsAndStars:
you should equally advocate for women not to be treated with certain respect as per being female.

I expect you to advocate for equality of gender in all ramifications. ALL. selection only means you are hypocrites.

talk about sport, war, the mines, prison, hard labour, social constructs. etc

tell me how many men you ever toasted in your feminists life? or tell me how you proposed when he wasted time. talk is cheap.

be below. with dignity and pride. that is the role nature reserved for you
How many genders are there? These one you are shouting "ALL" like this. undecided

You do have to understand what gave birth to feminism before coming here to call me a hypocrite. What does toasting a man have to do with anything? Dude please educate yourself before attacking me unnecessarily.
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Dec 12, 2016
My version is different smiley
Ghost01:
And you earlier called yourself a "proud feminist?"
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by couliss: 1:47pm On Dec 12, 2016
Anti-feminism blames women for the inevitable decline in economic status of low-skill, low-education, low-intelligence men.Anti- feminism smears women through superstition and religious belief
Anti feminism smears women by saying women don't know what is good for them ,women are stupid they have fish brain and that women know nothing.
God created us EQUALLY.
You are not smarter or better than me because you are a man
we have two eyes,two legs and two hands
GOD CREATED US EQUALLY.

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by AngelsAndStars(m): 1:48pm On Dec 12, 2016
couliss:
feminism is campaigning against rape,domestic violence and sexual harassment
feminism is campaigning for the girl child against female circumcision
feminism is against the Rape culture where
Victims are often disbelieved
Victims often do not report their rapes
Victims are often treated poorly by the criminal justice system
Rapists often go unpunished
Punishments for rape are often light compared to other crimes
stop trying to shift goal post.

feminism means Equality.

so don't try to list anything. let's take it for everything. in all ramifications.

besides, what you listed about are taken care of in the west yet feminism is still there.

you are confused grin

6 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by AngelsAndStars(m): 1:51pm On Dec 12, 2016
sweetcocoa:
How many genders are there? These one you are shouting "ALL" like this. undecided

You do have to understand what gave birth to feminism before coming here to call me a hypocrite. What does toasting a man have to do with anything? Dude please educate yourself before attacking me unnecessarily.
the ALL means all aspect of life should be applicable if feminism would be respected.

toasting a man is also what we men want. we are tired of being rejected, we are tired of being played upon. we want equality.

well, it seems you people don't even have a universal goal. everybody just saying what suits them.

feminism as much as I know means equality so please don't bring any other argument here

4 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by sweetcocoa(f): 1:52pm On Dec 12, 2016
HumanistMike:

Sure. There's nothing stopping women from going to war and being in the frontlines.

The setup has to be equal for both genders with regards to education, jobs, government positions etc. No special treatments. No quota system.

Feminism doesn't want this sort of equality. They was women to not be in the frontline. They want special treatment for women. They want quota system (for women only). They want female supremacy.
That's so not true.

Feminism, just like every other movement is made up of different people who decide to interpret things how they choose, but I'd like you to know that, the real idea behind the movement is that women get their merited place in every sector. Feminism is not female supremacy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by AngelsAndStars(m): 1:54pm On Dec 12, 2016
couliss:
Anti-feminism blames women for the inevitable decline in economic status of low-skill, low-education, low-intelligence men.Anti- feminism smears women through superstition and religious belief
Anti feminism smears women by saying women don't know what is good for them ,women are stupid they have fish brain and that women know nothing.
God created us EQUALLY.
which God do you refer to?

if you refer to abrahamic God then sorry you lie. God of abrahamic religion created man above woman.

try another God.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by couliss: 1:55pm On Dec 12, 2016
AngelsAndStars:
stop trying to shift goal post.

feminism means Equality.

so don't try to list anything. let's take it for everything. in all ramifications.

besides, what you listed about are taken care of in the west yet feminism is still there.

you are confused grin
I am not confused I know what am writing dont tell me am confused
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by couliss: 1:58pm On Dec 12, 2016
AngelsAndStars:
which God do you refer to?

if you refer to abrahamic God then sorry you lie. God of abrahamic religion created man above woman.

try another God.
the God that am serving created me equally with you
he made you smart he also made me smart he made you strong he also made me strong. I AM EQUAL WITH YOU
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by swtdrms(m): 2:00pm On Dec 12, 2016
ItsQuinn:
Every female have different versions of feminism....so I have my own grin.....you men have to select which one is best cheesy tongue

Y deceiving ursef? We ain't selecting anything, our ideology is simple, we are ahead of you girls and ready to take over the responsibilities of husband, boyfriends and leader. You keep to our rule, you keep to our instructions. If you choose otherwise and claim to be a feminist, do that holistically.

Is that clear? I don't want any objection from you again

4 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by sweetcocoa(f): 2:01pm On Dec 12, 2016
AngelsAndStars:
the ALL means all aspect of life should be applicable if feminism would be respected.

toasting a man is also what we men want. we are tired of being rejected, we are tired of being played upon. we want equality.

well, it seems you people don't even have a universal goal. everybody just saying what suits them.

feminism as much as I know means equality so please don't bring any other argument here
And who told you that it isn't being applied in all areas of life, don't we have women in the military(these days as opposed to before)? Are there no women who ask men out?

Feminism is a very straightforward thing, advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social and economic equality to men, just how is this something to be confused about?

Whether people have different idea of feminism is not the point, the main point is what feminism is really all about and I have explained it to you, so whatever else you choose to believe is no fault of feminism.

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by sweetcocoa(f): 2:03pm On Dec 12, 2016
couliss:
God created us EQUALLY.
You are not smarter or better than me because you are a man
we have two eyes,two legs and two hands
GOD CREATED US EQUALLY.
unfortunately my dear, your God did not create men and women equal, that's why religion is rubbish.
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by AngelsAndStars(m): 2:04pm On Dec 12, 2016
couliss:
the God that am serving created me equally with you
he made you smart he also made me smart he made you strong he also made me strong. I AM EQUAL WITH YOU
then I dare you. approach a man on the street and tell him how handsome he is, pay your bills when on a date. reject bride price, come ojuelegba come enter molue on motion by yourself, anybody that tries to help you slap that person grin

you are not disallowed from contesting presidency, you are allowed to school, so u don't see any discrimination against you. last time I checked you fvck at will, no restrictions.

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by HumanistMike(m): 2:06pm On Dec 12, 2016
sweetcocoa:
That's so not true.

Feminism, just like every other movement is made up of different people who decide to interpret things how they choose, but I'd like you to know that, the real idea behind the movement is that women get their merited place in every sector. Feminism is not female supremacy.

So why don't women want their merited place in the front line of the Nigerian Army?

8 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Shocking Village That Eat Human Meat **pictures** / Why Do Nigerians Think White People Are Ugly? / Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.