Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,349 members, 7,808,219 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:56 AM

God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? (18109 Views)

Debunking The Lies Of The Jehovah's Witnesses That Jesus Didn't Resurrect Bodily / Jesus Didn't Die: He Wasn't Even Crucified On The Cross / DSTV Censors "God" and "Jesus" On All Their Stations? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by chrmn1: 10:47pm On Dec 08, 2016
foladara777:

So where is slavery forbidden in all of this. A slave ran to Paul, that was a great opportunity to forbid slavery but he didn't. Jesus had the time to forbid slavery and he didn't. But he had the time to forbid swearing and divorce
Read from NLT, the very version you quoted in your OP
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Seun(m): 10:47pm On Dec 08, 2016
4everGod:
You miss the entire message in Philemon 1. Philemon was also a believer and a convert of Paul. Paul placed a demand and reminded him that even He (Philemon) owed him his life. I suggest you read it again.
In the New International Version, the section beginning at verse 8 is titled "Paul's Plea for Onesimus". Paul was just trying to help out a friend.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 10:49pm On Dec 08, 2016
foladara777:

Wait! There was a law allowing destruction of a slave's eye but it never happened?? Are u fricking kidding me?? No body beat his slaves for hundreds of years even though they were allowed too?? I know u can spin anything to defend your God but this is fifty shades of ridiculous. Damn!

I asked you for records of such acts and if you have any kindly show it.

A law can be in a land condemning murder or a crime which they envisage MIGHT happen but has not happened am i wrong?
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Dec 08, 2016
Seun:

In the New International Version, the section beginning at verse 8 is titled "Paul's Plea for Onesimus". Paul was just trying to help out a friend.

Did you read the chapter again or you want me to post it here for you?
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 10:50pm On Dec 08, 2016
4everGod:

What you should be asking is why even in war situations these days there is a law protecting POWs. In those days they were turned to slaves but also protected by laws so how come we have same today?
There are now laws against slavery because man is now wise enough to make laws to make his life better and not wait for some imaginary God who is only concerned with shellfish and masturbation

2 Likes

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Seun(m): 10:51pm On Dec 08, 2016
4everGod:
Did you read the the chapter again or you want me to post it here for you?
You should post the verse that says it's a sin to own a slave, and that any Christian who owns slaves must free them or face eternal damnation.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 10:52pm On Dec 08, 2016
4everGod:

I asked you for records of such acts and if you have any kindly show it.

A law can be in a land condemning murder or a crime which they envisage MIGHT happen but has not happened am i wrong?
Yes, you are wrong. Gimme a crime that is prohibited in this country and has not happened. Gimme one!
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by MrPresident1: 10:53pm On Dec 08, 2016
Isaiah 60:12
12 For the nation and kingdom that will not serve thee shall perish; yea, those nations shall be utterly wasted.

hopefulLandlord:
I feel very sorry for most Christians who were indoctrinated and forced to accept this terrible doctrine without being told what it contains. Now they try to make sense of their worldview by making excuses for the text. It was written at a brutal time by less than moral people with the goal of controlling the masses, when you try to make it fit into today's world you have to twist the words pretty hard to make them jive.

In my experience, the more a professed Christian considers the Bible to be metaphorical, the more he or she displays the qualities of a good person whose actions are compatible with modern civilization.

As I’ve said to liberal Christians in the past, why not just dump the last bit of baggage you’re carrying and call yourself a humanist already? 99% of Christians from ages past would consider liberal Christians to be damned heretics. What does that say about your “interpretation?” What are your actual reasons for clinging to the last limp vestiges of a morally-obsolete bronze age superstition? Certainly, your reasons have nothing to do with the text of the Bible itself

This is verbal gymnastics.

Even when Jesus Christ returns, there will still be slavery. The righteous people will rule over the unrighteous people forever. Quit your moralistic high horse bullshit to yourself.

How can you profess to morals or morality when you openly declare enmity with the originator of morals? Go and sit down!

When he comes, you either serve us, or be utterly wasted! Slavery is forever! grin wink

1 Like

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 10:54pm On Dec 08, 2016
chrmn1:
Read from NLT, the very version you quoted in your OP
I read it... No forbidding slavery
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Dec 08, 2016
foladara777:

There are now laws against slavery because man is now wise enough to make laws to make his life better and not wait for some imaginary God who is only concerned with shellfish and masturbation

Wrong! You would want to take us down the road of morality and i wouldnt want to derail this thread.

Man does not know whats right from whats wrong. Let me drop a question here for you.

If a law was put up saying stealing is wrong who vetted such a law? if you said man can choose whats right from whats wrong, how did man know whats right from whats wrong and if you say the brain has the ability to choose right from wrong then who gave the brain the blueprint for right and wrong and why didnt the brain so easily say wrong ir right and right and wrong? How are you even sure what you are doing now is right? It may as well be wrong. Or is the same man who lies and steals and can kill the one to give you a standard for morality and choices? So who then judges the judge?
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by hopefulLandlord: 10:56pm On Dec 08, 2016
MrPresident1:

Even when Jesus Christ returns, there will still be slavery. The righteous people will rule over the unrighteous people forever. Quit your moralistic high horse bullshit to yourself.

How can you profess to morals or morality when you openly declare enmity with the originator of morals? Go and sit down!

"Creator of morals" my foot!

the creator of morals that banned eating shellfish and formication but saw nothing wrong in slavery?

why is there no verse in the bible that says "Thou shall not own another human as slaves"?

or are you going to tell me getting your long john wet and eating shellfish is worse than owning another human ?

think bro, think; its not a sin, is it?

1 Like

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 10:59pm On Dec 08, 2016
MrPresident1:
12 For the nation and kingdom that will not serve thee shall perish; yea, those nations shall be utterly wasted.

When he comes, you either serve us, or be utterly wasted! Slavery is forever! grin wink

So even in the perfect world, there will still be slavery?? Jesus is really a jerk
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by MrPresident1: 11:01pm On Dec 08, 2016

hopefulLandlord:

"Creator of morals" my foot!

the creator of morals that banned eating shellfish and formication but saw nothing wrong in slavery?

why is there no verse in the bible that says "Thou shall not own another human as slaves"?

or are you going to tell me getting your long john wet is worse than owning another human and eating shellfish?

think bro, think; its not a sin, is it?

Slavery is not a sin, slavery is forever. For example, every black man living on the surface of this earth is a slave!
Now, when Christ returns, that slavery will be overturned, and any one that will not serve the new masters of the world will be utterly wasted. Slavery is forever, just because you are blissfully unaware of your status in the world does not make you less of a slave.

You see that verse up there? That is the confirmation that slavery is forever! grin
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by MrPresident1: 11:03pm On Dec 08, 2016
foladara777:

So even in the perfect world, there will still be slavery?? Jesus is really a jerk

A nor tell you say you nor go understand? You are not brethren so you can NEVER understand.

Slavery is forever! grin
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by hopefulLandlord: 11:06pm On Dec 08, 2016
MrPresident1:
[b]
Slavery is not a sin, slavery is forever. For example, every black man living on the surface of this earth is a slave!
Now, when Christ returns, that slavery will be overturned, and any one that will not serve the new masters of the world will be utterly wasted. Slavery is forever, just because you are blissfully unaware of your status in the world does not make you less of a slave.

You see that verse up there? That is the confirmation that slavery is forever! grin

and guys like these would condemn suicide bombers

3 Likes

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 11:07pm On Dec 08, 2016
4everGod:

Wrong! You would want to take us down the road of morality and i wouldnt want to derail this thread.

Man does not know whats right from whats wrong. Let me drop a question here from you.

If a law was put up saying stealing is wrong who vetted such a law? if you said man can choose whats right from whats wrong, how did man know whats right from whats wrong and if you say the brain has the ability to choose right from wrong then who gave the brain the blueprint for right and wrong and why didnt the brain so easily say wrong ir right and right and wrong? How are you even sure what you are doing now is right? It may as well be wrong. Or is the same man who lies and steals and can kill the one to give you a standard for morality and choices? So who then judges the judge?
This is getting irritating... There's an innate ability to know right from wrong, even people who believe there's no God believe murder is wrong... The judges don't make the laws, the people make the laws through their representatives, this is social studies. And the Judge is judged by other judges, the case of the supreme Court justices is obvious example.
Tell me, if God determines morality, how did we arrive at the conclusion that slavery is bad

1 Like

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 11:11pm On Dec 08, 2016
Seun:

You should post the verse that says it's a sin to own a slave, and that any Christian who owns slaves must free them or face eternal damnation.

You said Paul did not condemn slavery. Lets look at (Deuteronomy 23:15) side by side with Pauls comment demand to Philemon

"You shall not hand over to his master a slave who has escaped from his master to you.

Now Philemon

14. but without your consent I did not want to do anything, so that your goodness would not be, in effect, by compulsion but of your own free will.
15. For perhaps he was for this reason separated from you for a while, that you would have him back forever,
16. no longer as a slave, but more than a slave, a beloved brother, especially to me, but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord.
17. If then you regard me a partner, accept him as you would me.

The new testament forbids condemnation but encourages free will. Paul was fulfilling Deuteronomy 23:15 and clearly told Philemon, I SEE HIM AS A FREE MAN AND I SUGGEST YOU DO SAME ESPECIALLY IF YOU SAY YOU ARE MY PARTNER THEN ACCEPT HIM AS A FREE MAN SINCE I AM ALSO A FREE MAN.

Paul clearly condemned slavery but not as he would a law giver. He did so as a follower of Christ who knew that even Philemon had to act based on free will so he only gave philemon pointers to why he should set his former servant free.

What is going on here is like telling someone who is legally taking Medical Marijuana that it is wrong when the law is on his side. The slaves willingly gave themselves up so you wouldnt call their actions wrong since they chose to do so.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Dec 08, 2016
foladara777:

This is getting irritating... There's an innate ability to know right from wrong, even people who believe there's no God believe murder is wrong... The judges don't make the laws, the people make the laws through their representatives, this is social studies. And the Judge is judged by other judges, the case of the supreme Court justices is obvious example.
Tell me, if God determines morality, how did we arrive at the conclusion that slavery is bad

You just said a lot of ignorant things here. grin grin

lmao at social studies. I do not think you can think along this path so i advice you leave that for your own sanity.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by MrPresident1: 11:15pm On Dec 08, 2016
Isaiah 45:7
7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

hopefulLandlord:

and guys like these would condemn suicide bombers

My brother, please what is a suicide bomber?

Check that verse up the, peace and evil, our God is in charge of everything. Suicide bomber is one of the judgment tools of our God. cheesy
Suicide bomber can never branch a righteous person's house except he has a debt to pay, in this life or in a previous incarnation.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 11:16pm On Dec 08, 2016
4everGod:

You said Paul did not condemn slavery. Lets look at (Deuteronomy 23:15) side by side with Pauls comment demand to Philemon

"You shall not hand over to his master a slave who has escaped from his master to you.

Now Philemon

14. but without your consent I did not want to do anything, so that your goodness would not be, in effect, by compulsion but of your own free will.
15. For perhaps he was for this reason separated from you for a while, that you would have him back forever,
16. no longer as a slave, but more than a slave, a beloved brother, especially to me, but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord.
17. If then you regard me a partner, accept him as you would me.

The new testament forbids condemnation but encourages free will. Paul was fulfilling Deuteronomy 23:15 and clearly told Philemon, I SEE HIM AS A FREE MAN AND I SUGGEST YOU DO SAME ESPECIALLY IF YOU SAY YOU ARE MY PARTNER THEN ACCEPT HIM AS A FREE MAN SINCE I AM ALSO A FREE MAN.

Paul clearly condemned slavery but not as he would a law giver. He did so as a follower of Christ who knew that even Philemon had to act based on free will so he only gave philemon pointers to why he should set his former servant free.

What is going on here is like telling someone who is legally taking Medical Marijuana that it is wrong when the law is on his side. The slaves willingly gave themselves up so you wouldnt call their actions wrong since they chose to do so.

So only slaves who are lucky to escape are allowed freedom... God is the best ever... Am beginning to think the Islamic version of God is nicer
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by hopefulLandlord: 11:17pm On Dec 08, 2016
MrPresident1:
7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Check that verse up the, peace and evil, our God is in charge of everything. Suicide bomber is one of the judgment tools of our God. cheesy
Suicide bomber can never branch a righteous person's house except he has a debt to pay, in this life or in a previous incarnation.

where do I even begin?

okay undecided
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 11:18pm On Dec 08, 2016
MrPresident1:

You are a jpke. A total joke... Am no longer a Christian but am still ashamed that u are a Christian... All the victims of suicide bombing are not righteous... U are just disgracing Christianity upandan
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 11:22pm On Dec 08, 2016
4everGod:

You just said a lot of ignorant things here. grin grin

lmao at social studies. I do not think you can think along this path so i advice you leave that for your own sanity.
Run away as usual, when u see superior arguments... Even if u can't comprehend the comment, the question at the end is straight forward. If God determines right and wrong, how did humans etermine that slavery is bad?? However, u are totally free to run away if you don't have an answer

1 Like

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by MrPresident1: 11:22pm On Dec 08, 2016
foladara777:

You are a jpke. A total joke... Am no longer a Christian but am still ashamed that u are a Christian... All the victims of suicide bombing are not righteous... U are just disgracing Christianity upandan

Wetin dey worry this one? There is such a thing as judgment debt, no man can escape it. It is why it is in your own best interest to live as righteously as possibly because let me assure you, you will SURELY PAY. In this life or in your next incarnation grin
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Dec 08, 2016
foladara777:

So only slaves who are lucky to escape are allowed freedom... God is the best ever... Am beginning to think the Islamic version of God is nicer

Think what you will. Does it change anything? You are on NL a forum made up of barely 1.7million and not even a third of this visit the religion section and when they do, it makes no difference to them.

Compare this with the billions in the world who experience real true love from strangers who are believers, who see charities and orphanages being run by churches, to missionaries going to remote places and assisting communities and all. just the other day on NL front page Pastor Iginla bought a woman who sleeps outside a new 2 bedroom house.

Keep on talking about slavery and God when the Bible says we are living epistles read of men and the creature is eagerly looking out for the manifestations of the sons of God and our manifestations have been love based so when you see a loving believer you see a loving God.

Try to wrap your head around that. For decades so much attack has come against the church and God but has not even put a scratch to it as it keeps growing! We do not focus our lives on theories which is what you armchair atheists love doing...We go into the world and SHOW THE LOVE OF GOD to as many as need it.

I suggest you begin to do same as your attempts at ridiculing here or arguing blindly is as effective as driving a car backwards on a straight road while thinking that action would take you forward by 1 foot.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Ranchhoddas: 11:25pm On Dec 08, 2016
Hehehehe...uncle weyrey
MrPresident1:

A nor tell you say you nor go understand? You are not brethren so you can NEVER understand.

Slavery is forever! grin
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Dec 08, 2016
foladara777:

Run away as usual, when u see superior arguments... Even if u can't comprehend the comment, the question at the end is straight forward. If God determines right and wrong, how did humans etermine that slavery is bad?? However, u are totally free to run away if you don't have an answer

When someone ignores an argument for sake of seeing it as a fruitless venture you somehow assume the person is running away. Your comments and your mentioning of social studies grin grin shows you know nothing about the issue. So i would rather drop it.

lmao at social studies.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by hopefulLandlord: 11:27pm On Dec 08, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Hehehehe...uncle weyrey
bros, wetin we no go see? shocked
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by MrPresident1: 11:28pm On Dec 08, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Hehehehe...uncle weyrey

Hahahahahahaha grin cheesy

Slavery is forever!
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Dec 08, 2016
MrPresident1:

Hahahahahahaha grin cheesy

Slavery is forever!

They do not realize that man is always a slave to something. Be it a willing slave or an unwilling one.

That cannot change! Its the manner of acceptance or handling that should be the focus. Same way we have wicked people so we have loving people and some slaves are only called slaves by name but by treatment are handled as royalty. Individual mindsets vary.

Even they do not know they are currently under spiritual slavery. But the problem with their own is that indeed they have no say. They must do the will of their master.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 11:33pm On Dec 08, 2016
4everGod:

Think what you will. Does it change anything? You are on NL a forum made up of barely 1.7million and not even a third of this visit the religion section and when they do, it makes no difference to them.

Compare this with the billions in the world who experience real true love from strangers who are believers, who see charities and orphanages being run by churches, to missionaries going to remote places and assisting communities and all. just the other day on NL front page Pastor Iginla bought a woman who sleeps outside a new 2 bedroom house.

Keep on talking about slavery and God when the Bible says we are living epistles read of men and the creature is eagerly looking out for the manifestations of the sons of God and our manifestations have been love based so when you see a loving believer you see a loving God.

Try to wrap your head around that. For decades so much attack has come against the church and God but has not even put a scratch to it as it keeps growing! We do not focus our lives on theories which is what you armchair atheists love doing...We go into the world and SHOW THE LOVE OF GOD to as many as need it.

I suggest you begin to do same as your attempts at ridiculing here or arguing blindly is as effective as driving a car backwards on a straight road while thinking that action would take you forward by 1 foot.
Christianity is losing adherents everyday... Islam is the fastest growing religion. That must mean that it's more valid and authentic right?? Islam is many years younger than Christianity and in some years time will overtake Christianity as the world's biggest religion... In fact, my comments will surely sow doubts in some minds, and that's enough for me grin .
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by MrPresident1: 11:33pm On Dec 08, 2016
Isaiah 14:2
2 And the people shall take them, and bring them to their place: and the house of Israel shall possess them in the land of the Lord for servants and handmaids: and they shall take them captives, whose captives they were; and they shall rule over their oppressors.

grin Slavery is forever cheesy grin

Negroes are the Israelites of the Bible wink

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Are "Saggings" & Wearing "Torn Jeans" Sins? / "Once Saved, Forever Saved": Wrong And Unscriptural! / "Pope Francis Didn't Say Hell Doesn't Exist, He Was Misrepresented" - Vatican

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.