Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,646 members, 7,801,883 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:36 AM

Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money (5680 Views)

Online Newspapers are turning to bloggers / Photos: Two Nigerian Newspapers Make March 28 Projections / The Online Editions Of Nigerian Newspapers Are Behind Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by Alxmyr(m): 1:55pm On Nov 12, 2009
Have you noticed that recently there is no real news in the newspapers you have been buying. You hardly pick up a newspaper today and find a story that will interest you. Unlike, Obj's era, there is always one intrigue or the other to read about. These days, Nigeria news scene is so boring. Paying the vendors seems to make no sense again to me.
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by dominique(f): 2:07pm On Nov 12, 2009
most papers dont print the truth. they only print what they want you to know. some papers are PDP orientated, some are AC, ANPP oriented. so they kindda favor news from states their political party belong and try to discredit the opposition.
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by pcicero(m): 2:17pm On Nov 12, 2009
Thank God i was not the only one noticing this. Well, another big ups to the internet. I decided to check the sites of Nigerian newspapers and found out that they were all dry in contents and forms. I simply sighed and thought of how frustrated i would have been if i had bought one.
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by dominique(f): 2:28pm On Nov 12, 2009
nowadays most people buy newspapers fro the job vacancies (myself included). nobody wants to be deceived with lies and bull shit.
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by naijatoday: 2:33pm On Nov 12, 2009
They are all politically orientated.

I think the one that is manageable among them is NEXT Newspaper (I am still trying to find out what political party it favours.)
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by dominique(f): 2:40pm On Nov 12, 2009
Next newspaper. . . must be one of the new ones undecided
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by Alxmyr(m): 2:55pm On Nov 12, 2009
naijatoday:

I think the one that is manageable among them is NEXT Newspaper (I am still trying to find out what political party it favours.)

It will soon run dry of content. The truth is that our journalist don't investigate. They only sit in an hotel to attend press conferences and dash to printer to dole out garbage to the public with different titles, same story. There is no professioalism in any area of reporting. One of them get a story, the rest carbon-copy it, give it different headlines and charge sell it to the public.
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by redsun(m): 3:04pm On Nov 12, 2009
Has the government stop giving BROWN envelopes full of cash to journalist in nigeria?When they do,that when the journalist will speak the truth.
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by donjon: 5:02pm On Nov 12, 2009
@poster,
What killed bayo ohu, Paul Abayomi Ogundeji & Eiphraim Audu?
What about the countless journalists who have been beaten, blinded or even killed in the line of duty these last two years?
Only negative stuff makes headlines, & because you dont get those headlines as often as before, doesnt mean Nigerian journalists are dining with our devilish politicians!
They put their lives in danger while covering elections, court cases etc,.,.,.,
and yet you have the nerve to come here & spew rubbish

if you want juicy headlines, go & buy all these 100naira otokoto, ritual killing, son beheads dad, girl turns to snake, bird turns to woman, obama is the anti-christ! Newspapers.
Or stayed tuned to NKAN BE, 2pm every sunday @ galaxy TV.
Or better yet, get a job!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by Nobody: 5:04pm On Nov 12, 2009
like everything else, journalism has gone down the drain in Nigeria.

much of what passes for journalism these days is horrible.
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by snowdrops(m): 6:30pm On Nov 12, 2009
They remain good for wrapping "akara" and "moi moi". Also useful for tidying up after visiting the yellow house.
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by chrisical(m): 6:40pm On Nov 12, 2009
snowdrops:

They remain good for wrapping "akara" and "moi moi". Also useful for tidying up after visiting the yellow house.
grin grin
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by Alxmyr(m): 11:18pm On Nov 12, 2009
donjon:

@poster,
What about the countless journalists who have been beaten, blinded or even killed in the line of duty these last two years?
Only negative stuff makes headlines, & because you dont get those headlines as often as before, doesnt mean Nigerian journalists are dining with our devilish politicians!

if you want juicy headlines, go & buy all these 100naira otokoto, ritual killing, son beheads dad, girl turns to snake, bird turns to woman, obama is the anti-christ! Newspapers.

You must be one the journalists that collect 'brown envelope' else what is the reason for your vexation.
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by ayomidej(f): 12:53pm On Nov 13, 2009
Reading Nigerian Newspaper is a waste of time because its junk that in there. grin
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by pcicero(m): 1:05pm On Nov 13, 2009
donjon:

@poster,

A good number of our journalists are media consultants to politicians. Ogundeji was working for Femi Pedro then during the 2007 guber polls. Have you ever wondered how politicians manage to disparage themselves on Newspapers during election periods? They employ the services of these journalists. So in most cases, these journalists get caught in the intricate web of Nigerian politics and end up paying with their lives.
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by tushbobo(m): 1:09pm On Nov 13, 2009
Reading THISDAY newspaper is like preparing for a PHD examination or something
Reading THE GUARDIAN is like studying to give a lecture at a seminar
Reading THE SUN is like being taken for a fool as all they indulge in is useless and baseless gossip
Reading TRIBUNE,VANGUARD etc is sheer waste of precious time

Reading PUNCH is better than others cos they are not as serious and tasking as Thisday or Guardian,their news and quality of presentation is also better than most other newspapers.I relax with PUNCH any time i get back from work.That i cant say of others.ENJOYYYYYYYYYYY
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by demmyzenny(m): 1:15pm On Nov 13, 2009
I gbadun Punch newspaper too, especially Satuday Punch
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by GNBohr: 1:15pm On Nov 13, 2009
Every society get what it derserves. If you want more from these media you need to contribute to their report. All the international news media you favoured get information and reports from ordinary people who are not in any way connected with journalism as a profession. How many Nigerians locally and in the diaspora contribute to their pool. It is true many of these newspapers do write junks and lies and assumptions as truths, and you may feel that you dont get what you are expecting, the reality is nobody is speaking or releasing infomation in Nigeria. Those who manages to do so either seeks for gratification, speaks half-truths or non thruths. Those in government have even signed to oaths of secrecy. So my people for the little you get, you should be grateful to get at all. Most thruths only comes out when there is crises in the polity or amongst the ruling elites. This is the only country where government is always planning, formulating, intending, proposing, thinking, strategising, preparing, seeking, trying, managing, talking, losing, hoping, parleying, discussing, wanting, wishing, articulating, gathering; but never act, do or achieve. So what we get is garbage in garbage out and we must eat the garbage. The truth is you need to read the papers to know about all these "ings".
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by igeluma: 1:20pm On Nov 13, 2009
People are not interested in reading newspapers ,because the election that brought must of our leaders are fraudulent,
so the issue of journalism cannot be seperated from the rot.Truth is hard to come by nowadays.Only God will save us.
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by chidichris(m): 1:28pm On Nov 13, 2009
@poster,
i don't buy ur idea here.
if newspapers print news everyday, it means they have news to print.
if u enjoyed reading newspapers during obj's regime like u said, u must like commedy. if the comedies of those days are no longer there, u can buy a night of a thousand laughs or the likes.
what news were there to read about then? that alams turned to a woman and left london? comedy. the iyabo obasanjo ran aways because efcc was looking for here and she was a senator? comedy. the mrs etteh used N623 million to renovet a house? comedy. that obj wanted to amend the constitution to be a life president? comedy. or that obj told oyo people to tolerate adedibu bcs he was too old to be changed? shame. or that obj told oyo people tp emulate the adedibu kill and bury politics? comedy or that the then president of nigeria has made it public that the next election was going to be a do or die affair? comedy and shame.
anyways, it depends on what u want to read.
this is internet age, i want to believe that you like comedy and jokes and u can apply for that online and u will be recieving different jokes and comedy in ur inbox.
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by sayso: 1:36pm On Nov 13, 2009
people have to earn a living bro
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by posakosa(m): 2:01pm On Nov 13, 2009
snowdrops:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by onyeokwuak(f): 2:28pm On Nov 13, 2009
The print media,the radio and television stations have failed us.They have contributed a lot in confusing Nigerians.They dont balance there reports , they are mannerless in there presentations.They have created programmes where people say all kinds of thing in the air,if well investigated may not be true about others.
Normally any report from any media house should be swallowed hook line and sinker, but in the case of Nigerian journalist , we dont know who to beleive .This loss for money has made mess of almost every profession in Nigeria(journalism at the fore front).

The way forward should be that the Nigerian legal system be very strict on every report , purnishing evry reporter who makes seditious and false reports.
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by DisGuy: 2:37pm On Nov 13, 2009
GNBohr:

Every society get what it derserves. If you want more from these media you need to contribute to their report. All the international news media you favoured get information and reports from ordinary people who are not in any way connected with journalism as a profession. How many Nigerians locally and in the diaspora contribute to their pool. It is true many of these newspapers do write junks and lies and assumptions as truths, and you may feel that you dont get what you are expecting, the reality is nobody is speaking or releasing infomation in Nigeria. Those who manages to do so either seeks for gratification, speaks half-truths or non thruths. Those in government have even signed to oaths of secrecy. So my people for the little you get, you should be grateful to get at all. Most thruths only comes out when there is crises in the polity or amongst the ruling elites. This is the only country where government is always planning, formulating, intending, proposing, thinking, strategising, preparing, seeking, trying, managing, talking, losing, hoping, parleying, discussing, wanting, wishing, articulating, gathering; but never act, do or achieve. So what we get is garbage in garbage out and we must eat the garbage. The truth is you need to read the papers to know about all these "ings".

Our Journalist can help by asking questions from these half truths, when a minister announce a contract asking the completion period and relaying that information to the people isnt too much to ask is it? at least then, the citizens themselves can inform the journalist when the roads,school etc are abandoned

and any politician seeking gratification should be exposed, these journalist should stop printing statement straight from the politicians copy and paste style, everything announce on nta the previous night is on the pages next day without explanation or indepth analysis

And teh journalist can do more than just news about politicians and contracts, what about ordinary people, questionable bank charges, industrial pollution etc,

Kudos to Next and Punch and thisday columnists- the only problem with thisday is that every day must contain a news story/picture of their big belly chairman and their weird looking website
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by ochukoccna: 2:38pm On Nov 13, 2009
[size=15pt]Not all though. personally I lean towards the NATION newspaper. Though it seems to be pro AC yet i found that most of their breaking news stories turn out to be true in the days ahead. They have a lot of good columnists. Also they tend to have a pan Nigerian outlook [like The PUNCH too] unlike Tribune that is unbashedly pro Yoruba, VANGUARD that's centred on the 9ja Delta along with THISDAY&GUARDIAN too only that THISDAY is elitist and has heavy dose entertainment while GUARDIAN is very politically savvy, INDEPENDENT along with CHAMPION are jokers along with CHAMPION been pro ndigbo, SUN &NATIONAL LIFE are pure junk whilst COMPASS which I'll even reject a complimentary copy is Gbenga's Daniel's propaganda handbill. Don't really know much about NEXT234[/size]
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by Redman44(m): 3:17pm On Nov 13, 2009
Hmn, I don't know where to start smiley smiley As a trained Media Professional, I want to give the Nairalander who started this thread a huge applause and a couple of back pats. Thanks for throwing this issue up cool cool cool cool 95% of Nigerian newspapers do not have an ideology. That is where their problems begin. A Newspaper that does not have an idology or background philosophy can be easily bought by politicians for their selfish interests. It is also saddening that our newspapers are not helping to shape Nigeria's nascent democracy positively. In other climes, Newspapers can make or mar the lives of politicians or elected officials. It seems we don't have adventurous and bold Editors in Nigeria again. Our newspapers and magazines fought against the Abacha regime vigorously and I make bold to say they sold more copies in those days of military rule. Another reason why the content of our newspapers seem boring is that our media houses are recruiting journalism and Mass Communication graduates of poor quality. If I tell you the poor writing and research skills of some journalists, you will be shocked cry cry Gone are those days when fresh media recruits bring in a lot of creativity and ideas to our Newspapers. We even have half baked Editors these days. Editors who are not informed but are only interested in currying the favour of bigwigs and moneybags in the society cry cry Our newspapers are not also providing enough useful information for the populace. There are a lot of interesting and progressive things going on in Nigeria that are not reported by our newspapers. Our newspapers need to adopt a community orientation if they want to get more readers and local adverts.

We should not forget that journalists in Nigeria are not well paid. The salaries of most Nigerian journalists is nothing to wrote home about cry cry That is why many of them will readily accept brown envelopes and spew out stories full of lies. The Nigerian Media is really bedevilled with a lot of problems. Cheers.
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by fizzybaba(m): 3:26pm On Nov 13, 2009
These got me laffing:

One of them get a story, the rest carbon-copy it, give it different headlines and charge sell it to the public

They remain good for wrapping "akara" and "moi moi".
COMPASS which I'll even reject a complimentary copy is Gbenga's Daniel's propaganda handbill.

and finally,

The salaries of most Nigerian journalists is nothing to wrote home about

thanx for the free joke
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by yinka85: 3:31pm On Nov 13, 2009
Could I use this opportunity to ask NLanders to help me plead to Thisday Newspapers to take down those pictures of American music artists on their online homepage.I thought it operates as a national news media not a gossip magazine.I have written to them several times to advise them on this,never got any feedback or response.
BTW @poster pardon me for going a little off topic.When am less busy at work I will take time to give you my take on the topic of your thread.Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by Edbieni(m): 3:46pm On Nov 13, 2009
I see nothing new in day to day papers. Is same NTA news of the previous day they republish. I buy only sunday Vanguard to read DEBBIE OGUNJOBIE article n thats all for the week. I'm tired of spendin my money on junk
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by aieromon(m): 3:49pm On Nov 13, 2009
I know Daily Trust is
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by kokoye(m): 3:50pm On Nov 13, 2009
This is a global thing. Even newspapers in the U.S dont sell as much anymore since you can catch your news on the Internet or TV.

It is the nasty tabloids (with their juicy gossips, sometimes unreal) that still sell up till today.

So pls stop crucifying the newspapers in Nigeria. hyprocrites !!

Let's face it, most people like you all want to read gossips and lies, go and ask city people magazine.

Well behaved people rarely make the news - and history. Go figure.
Re: Nigerian Newspapers Are Waste Of Money by Ossaifamous(m): 3:56pm On Nov 13, 2009
It will soon run dry of content. The truth is that our journalist don't investigate. They only sit in an hotel to attend press conferences and dash to printer to dole out garbage to the public with different titles, same story. There is no professioalism in any area of reporting. One of them get a story, the rest carbon-copy it, give it different headlines and charge sell it to the public.

thie above paragraph by one of the posters is very true and I totally agree but then in an era when our president just sits down and we don't even know if he still rules anymore ,what do u expect

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jubilation As Saraki Arrives Ilorin For Gbemi’s Campaign / Observation: APC Has Paid Agents On Nairaland! / Politics...biography Of Presidential Candidate Of NPC MARTINS ONOVO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.