Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:31 PM

Why Always Web. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Always Web. (1571 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Always Web. by osarenomaspecial: 6:33pm On Dec 09, 2016
i love the programming section here in Nairaland and there is something i discovered, most programmers here always discuss about the web either they need help on their web app or provide solution or even tutorials,the question am asking now is this, does it mean we only have programmers who are expertise on web application here,those who are into software are few. let us take programming from this low level to another higher level. if i were to source for programmers here to build server and scalable app that can handle millions of users or build enterprise application will i see them here? during my survey here programmers only focus on frontend and forget about the backend. companies do come here to search for programmers to work for them. i notice we are good but not professionals in business,how will somebody come to this section and call another programmer names,that action has great danger to this programming section,companies will no longer see us as trustworthy programmers and let us also have good communication with our client.
Re: Why Always Web. by appcypher: 7:29pm On Dec 09, 2016
during my survey here programmers only focus on frontend and forget about the backend.
Then ur survey is flawed. I do see a lot of back end topics here. Maybe not many, but they are not scarce.
i notice we are good but not professionals in business
This is a forum for discussion, you will see different personalities in a forum. A serious client should be reviewing a dev's portfolio, not how he called another person a chicken in a language war. Arguments happen all the time. Not just here in NL, but in foreign forums too. If someone's outburst is what a client is checking for, I don't think such client is serious about finding a dev.
Re: Why Always Web. by Celebrimbor(m): 10:08pm On Dec 09, 2016
Ask and ye shall see... seek and ye shall find.
Re: Why Always Web. by osarenomaspecial: 7:51am On Dec 10, 2016
my reason for creating this trend is to look for great programmers.
Re: Why Always Web. by Nobody: 10:57am On Dec 10, 2016
Share with us and we'd be happy to export sometimes some of us don't have that opportunity of knowing other fields. smiley
Re: Why Always Web. by Nobody: 11:47am On Dec 10, 2016
People talk about what they like. I talk web most of the time because it is easier to see what i am talking about. I can tell you about a socket library i wrote somewhere and send you a link, for example here is a sample socket chat i wrote using NODE.JS - http://dhtmlchat.heroku.com

that is easy eh, but if i am trying to describe one awesome JAVA code like that i wrote, that will be hard unless i can provide a github link.
Even the link sef cannot fully explain what i am talking about, hence such talks can get a bit boring.

But web talks are easier. . . .
Re: Why Always Web. by osarenomaspecial: 12:27pm On Dec 10, 2016
now am beginning to discover this section is blessed with great programmers.
Re: Why Always Web. by webdeveloperqx: 8:55am On Dec 11, 2016
osarenomaspecial:
i love the programming section here in Nairaland and there is something i discovered, most programmers here always discuss about the web either they need help on their web app or provide solution or even tutorials,the question am asking now is this, does it mean we only have programmers who are expertise on web application here,those who are into software are few. let us take programming from this low level to another higher level. if i were to source for programmers here to build server and scalable app that can handle millions of users or build enterprise application will i see them here? during my survey here programmers only focus on frontend and forget about the backend. companies do come here to search for programmers to work for them. i notice we are good but not professionals in business,how will somebody come to this section and call another programmer names,that action has great danger to this programming section,companies will no longer see us as trustworthy programmers and let us also have good communication with our client.

A website is a software that runs on the internet. we are all software developers. we just choose to focus on what we have passion on. i build scalabe apps too but often i love the backend and the frontend too.

happy coding
Re: Why Always Web. by Nobody: 1:27pm On Dec 11, 2016
webdeveloperqx:

A website is a software that runs on the internet. we are all software developers. we just choose to focus on what we have passion on. i build scalabe apps too but often i love the backend and the frontend too.

happy coding
err, i am not really in agreement. A website and a web-app are different - what you defined up there is a web-app.

Some developers can create websites only, and all web-apps. It is the top-class developers that can create web apps. Do you want to compare lets say gtbank online portal with a wordpress blog eh?

Or you want to compare Facebook with Nairaland?
Re: Why Always Web. by Sibrah: 3:17pm On Dec 11, 2016
The web will continue to attract more attention as all OS support web interface. If you implement an app in any of the popular languages and decide not to give a web interface for client access then you have to always support every client device(s) as well as install the client module for every new OS.
In the case web interface, all the clients needs to access a server side web app is a internet browser.
Re: Why Always Web. by Nobody: 3:20pm On Dec 11, 2016
Sibrah:
The web will continue to attract more attention as all OS support web interface. If you implement an app in any of the popular languages and decide not to give a web interface for client access then you have to always support every and install the client module for every new OS. In the case web interface, all the clients need to access a server side web app is an internet browser.
Very correct
Re: Why Always Web. by Sibrah: 3:24pm On Dec 11, 2016

i notice we are good but not professionals in business,how will somebody come to this section and call another programmer names,that action has great danger to this programming section,companies will no longer see us as trustworthy programmers and let us also have good communication with our client
Some weeks back I did sample some frequent monikers on this section of NL and found out that most of them have no webpage(s) sampling their works/portfolio attached to their profiles. By now it should be a standard practice for those of us who want to meet up with clients here.
By now NL programming and webmasters section should be a place for people to safely and anonymously get small jobs and build confidence.
The issue of bragging and name calling you raised is also correct. Lots of people do it out of their effort in trying to out-sell others. IT folks generally play dirty . . .
Re: Why Always Web. by asalimpo(m): 4:36pm On Dec 11, 2016
also, some of the great programmer of yester-years (in nL time, i.e like 5+ years) have "retired".
You dont see many people who were active 5+ years ago still active now!!. They've left and evaporated from the face of nairaland.
granted nairaland is still not so old, but with such a trend, this forum will always be teeming with more noobs all the time. Who, without intendng to, will be sullying the board with their purile topics like what keyboard do you use . or whatsap {language x} user group join .
Re: Why Always Web. by Nobody: 4:59pm On Dec 11, 2016
^^^Na which category me i come belong so o?
Re: Why Always Web. by webdeveloperqx: 5:00pm On Dec 11, 2016
dhtml18:

err, i am not really in agreement. A website and a web-app are different - what you defined up there is a web-app.

Some developers can create websites only, and all web-apps. It is the top-class developers that can create web apps. Do you want to compare lets say gtbank online portal with a wordpress blog eh?

Or you want to compare Facebook with Nairaland?

both are software serving different purposes. i create web apps and websites. you can't compare them when it comes to usability or how extensible but both are softwares. The idea of software is not limited to apps that run on OS.
Re: Why Always Web. by Nobody: 5:18pm On Dec 11, 2016
^^^You did not get my drift, I did not say that you were wrong, it was the terminology that I was talking about (that websites are different from web-applications though both run in the browser) - so that some noobs dont get confused.

1 Like

Re: Why Always Web. by webdeveloperqx: 5:22pm On Dec 11, 2016
dhtml18:
^^^You did not get my drift, I did not say that you were wrong, it was the terminology that I was talking about (that websites are different from web-applications though both run in the browser) - so that some noobs dont get confused.

ok. you are on point.
Re: Why Always Web. by 2mNaira: 5:42pm On Dec 11, 2016
osarenomaspecial:

That is what really sells in nigeria now: web and mobile application.

When the demands from the market changes it will reflect here.

There are other reasons but it will be unpatriotic of me to state them in a public forum like this.

But I will say this: as Nigeria develops more in Science, technology,education and industrialization her software demands will change.
Re: Why Always Web. by 2mNaira: 6:00pm On Dec 11, 2016
webdeveloperqx:

both are software serving different purposes. i create web apps and websites. you can't compare them when it comes to usability or how extensible but both are softwares. The idea of software is not limited to apps that run on OS.

I personally do not think a website is a software especially if all it does is create a web presence. In my own opinion a web application is a software while a website is not. A piece of sofware represents solution to a problem and not just a web presence. Any website that solves a problem is an application and qualifies for being called a software.

Again , in my own opinion, nairaland is an application because it solves a problem.It is not a complex application though.
Re: Why Always Web. by Nobody: 6:05pm On Dec 11, 2016
This is dhtml shouting all the way from Pluto to Planet Earth,
web application != website however the line of distinction is not very clear

please read-up wikipedia on this matter - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_application

over and out!!!!
Re: Why Always Web. by Sibrah: 7:02pm On Dec 11, 2016
To me web app = website and web app != website.
It is hard to prove or disprove.
Websites are like apps that serve pages to users, the fact that a web service on the server(hardware) that grants us the request isn't programmed by us makes it invincible to us most times. One the other hand web apps can be build to serve pages alone.

To me webapps should be anything that has various user level and provide more functions asides serving of info. I might be wrong because I just summarized my random understanding gathered over my short programming career.

To some person, any dynamic website is a web app.
Re: Why Always Web. by Nobody: 7:15pm On Dec 11, 2016
^^^you are of course correct by the way (and you speak based on facts - i love that)
Re: Why Always Web. by 2mNaira: 8:20pm On Dec 11, 2016
If you want to know what web application is it simple. Just ignore the word web and focus on the word application.Ask yourself,'What is an application? Once you have gotten the right answer just rephrase it by saying a web application is an application that run on the web.

A website that has the functionality of an application is also a web application.

Generally, a website is a web location where you can meet an organisation that has a location or presence offline.i.e an online location for an equivalent offline location. Usually firms and organusations that have a presence offline create a somewhat equivalent location online called a website.

A website that doubles as also an application is also a web application.

Usually a website provide offline contact information while a wep app doesn't need one.

A good example is www.cashenvoy.com. It doubles as both a website and as an application.
Re: Why Always Web. by 2mNaira: 8:27pm On Dec 11, 2016
A very funny way to know what a web app is is to ask your self, 'Can an android, windows,iOS or blackberry version of this site be reasonably created?' If the answer is yes, then it is a web app. It is unreasonable to create mobile app for a site if all you want is to have an equivalent location on the web.
Re: Why Always Web. by 2mNaira: 8:39pm On Dec 11, 2016
Sibrah:
To me web app = website and web app != website.
It is hard to prove or disprove.
Websites are like apps that serve pages to users, the fact that a web service on the server(hardware) that grants us the request isn't programmed by us makes it invincible to us most times. One the other hand web apps can be build to serve pages alone.

To me webapps should be anything that has various user level and provide more functions asides serving of info. I might be wrong because I just summarized my random understanding gathered over my short programming career.

To some person, any dynamic website is a web app.

If all a site does is help people contact an organisation that exist somewhere offline or if all it does is to inform or educate people about the organisation, regardless of whether it is dynamic or not, it is a website. But if it solves some problem it is a web app and must neccesarily be dynamic.
Re: Why Always Web. by worisj(m): 1:56am On Dec 12, 2016
Why Always Web? I'll Give You Larry Page Statement As An Answer. Its Because " We Like The Web ". Google Map Which Was Formerly A Mobile App Called Expendition Was Supposed To Be Downloaded And Installed But On Pitching It To Google, Larry Page Response To Lars Russeman Was We Like The Web!! And A Dead Line Was Given For The App To Be One The Web!. Btw Only Few Number Of People Return Back To A Mobile App After Two Or Three Times.

(1) (Reply)

How To Create Android App For Your Blog/website? / Are There Firms That Offer Loans To Upcoming Programmers In Nigeria? / Payment Gateway In A Html Website.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.