Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,001 members, 7,799,434 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:12 PM

A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) (45681 Views)

Princess Inikpi Buried Alive, Sacrificed For Survival Of The Igala Nation. Video / Man Killed By Lightning In Kwara Buried In Pigs Blood, Corpse Exhumed. Photos / Boy’s Legs Buried, In Benue State, Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by VictorRomanov: 7:27pm On Dec 10, 2016
redsceptic:

If you can not scientifically defend the practice keep quiet. I can scientifically condemn it.

Not all children walk at the same age. Different people reach the milestone at different ages. Some never do. The cause of developmental delay should be sought by a professional.

The child is at risk of infection from earth dwelling microbes including viruses, bacteria and fungi. He may contract tetanus, botilinism, anthrax, , histoplasmosis, cryptosporidium, aspergillosis, pneumococcus, pneumocysticosis and strachybotrys among more than 100 other possibilities.
Among the bacteria let us mention the gram negatives as well as coliforms (bacteria found in human and animal waste)

Many of these have no effective treatment even with modern medicines

He may be exposed to elemental poisoning from man made and natural substances in the soil including radioactive waste, lead, products of degradation of plastics and other compounds, degradation products of insecticides and herbicides, leeched byproducts of industrial processes and mining etc.

Apart from sickness, this child is being subjected to mental and physical abuse by ignorant and/or wicked guardians.

Yet some people come here to defend this barbarism. Shame on you.

Black man. I give you hand o! No wonder we are last in everything that matters

Don't worry. He'll live. He's not the first. Neither will he be the last. Black people have their ways of doing things that have always worked for them. They can learn from other people and improve but they shouldnt abandon theirs if it work. That's how china became what it is now. And many people now practice chinese traditional healing and all that.
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by fakati(m): 7:39pm On Dec 10, 2016
broseme:
What is wrong with our people?Don't we think again?According to Jeph who lives in Makurdi,Benue state,a child's legs were buried in the ground due to his inability to walk at the appropriate time.Below is what he wrote...

'Just saw this around my neighborhood,a child got his legs buried for his inability to walk as at when due. Is this practice not barbaric and brutal?'

What do you think?

source: http://www.trezzyhelm.com/2016/12/see-what-was-done-to-kid-legs-in-benue.html
I hope they will not leave the child there indefinitely like the case of Hope in Akwa Ibom that was rescued by the Danish woman
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by raphy(m): 7:40pm On Dec 10, 2016
villagers and there village sense have been in existence since i have not even concieved.
if the little boy still vant work they will say iys the work of the witches.
haba......
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by nNEOo(m): 8:01pm On Dec 10, 2016
UuzbaGuuzba:
Which of you have any memory of the exact day ahd hour you started walking? You only begining remembering details about age 5. Even then, your memory is sketchy. The baby will never remember this when he's grown up. But let him see a picture in future and he will seek vengence on all involved.

Sheby he no wan walk
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by lonelydora: 8:17pm On Dec 10, 2016
angeltolly:
cheesy They even gave the baby sweet and buscuit to keep him busy all the while.

In this 21st century Whoever did this no get sense sha. What is the correlation between this practice and baby walking. Smh.... So many microbes in that dump site. Common sense is not comment.

It works, whether you call it superstition or not.
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by Chuksemi(m): 8:56pm On Dec 10, 2016
DeLioncourt:

And dyu know what psychological scar you may have left the child with?
Y'all shud consider every implication of an act before executing it. There's a reason such acts are not approved by relevant authorities

Are you Ok?
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by agrovick(m): 9:05pm On Dec 10, 2016
All these oversabis claiming trauma, as long as the practice works. Ba damuwa.

If it was an oyinbo that did this now, they will start marveling at the ingenuity of the oyinbos
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by bezimo(m): 9:06pm On Dec 10, 2016
redsceptic:

If you can not scientifically defend the practice keep quiet. I can scientifically condemn it.

Not all children walk at the same age. Different people reach the milestone at different ages. Some never do. The cause of developmental delay should be sought by a professional.

The child is at risk of infection from earth dwelling microbes including viruses, bacteria and fungi. He may contract tetanus, botilinism, anthrax, , histoplasmosis, cryptosporidium, aspergillosis, pneumococcus, pneumocysticosis and strachybotrys among more than 100 other possibilities.
Among the bacteria let us mention the gram negatives as well as coliforms (bacteria found in human and animal waste)

He may be exposed to elemental poisoning from man made and natural substances in the soil including radioactive waste, lead, products of degradation of plastics and other compounds, degradation products of insecticides and herbicides, leeched byproducts of industrial processes and mining etc.

Apart from sickness, this child is being subjected to mental and physical abuse by ignorant and/or wicked guardians.

There is nothing like black men here!! It's a question of does it really work?

It's an obvious traditional practice of strengthening a child's leg that might have a scientific principle behind it.The natural lateral forces in the earth acting in a compressed manner horizontally on the child's legs to support it for a long time in a vertical position and all that and this is the first time I am hearing or seeing such thing.That a child's legs can be strengthened to walk by planting him/her into the ground.lol

If folks claims it actually works.Then condemning the act is uncalled for.You can only argue that the approach should be more controlled and clean.
I agree proper protection should be won by the child before subjecting him/her to the natural elements of the earth which could be harmful.The risk involved are manageable and shouldn't be really an issue if it can be done in a controlled and clean environment.
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by NikitaNike(f): 9:27pm On Dec 10, 2016
MadamExcellency:
Unfortunately, I have done this before against all orthodox norms but it worked that same day in the evening. The boy was seen walking by himself after the "inhumane" torture five hours later.

Apologising to the boy when he always expresses gratitude is something else.
you re right. I seen it work out
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by NikitaNike(f): 9:29pm On Dec 10, 2016
DeLioncourt:

And dyu know what psychological scar you may have left the child with?
Y'all shud consider every implication of an act before executing it. There's a reason such acts are not approved by relevant authorities
mmmm.
See big english
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by chiefojiji(m): 9:32pm On Dec 10, 2016
I just hope this boy go fit fly once dey uproot am from dere!!!

#awonwereydede
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by NikitaNike(f): 9:32pm On Dec 10, 2016
redsceptic:

Black man. I give you hand o! No wonder :pyou:p are last in everything that matters
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by NikitaNike(f): 9:37pm On Dec 10, 2016
redsceptic:

Did you read the post? You dont see the problem in someone exposed to pathogenic fungi that can cause meningitis, lung infection, skin infections that do not have a cure?

oh gud. Another big english.
So the child should remain lame bcus of big grammer
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by wizalpha(m): 10:12pm On Dec 10, 2016
LMAO...the guy dy struggle with him Lolipop....he dnt giv a damn

1 Like

Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by gj22(m): 10:18pm On Dec 10, 2016
MadamExcellency:

In this case, there's no bodily harm nor a situation leading to casualty.

There is no difference between this practice and putting a plaster-of-paris on a dislocated joint.

Are you seriously comparing pop to dirt? Exposing the kid to potential infections and diseases.
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by gj22(m): 10:19pm On Dec 10, 2016
NikitaNike:

oh gud. Another big english.
So the child should remain lame bcus of big grammer

Either you are joking or girls really do have fish brain.
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by gj22(m): 10:21pm On Dec 10, 2016
bezimo:

There is nothing like black men here!! It's a question of does it really work?

It's an obvious traditional practice of strengthening a child's leg that might have a scientific principle behind it.The natural lateral forces in the earth acting in a compressed manner horizontally on the child's legs to support it for a long time in a vertical position and all that and this is the first time I am hearing or seeing such thing.That a child's legs can be strengthened to walk by planting him/her into the ground.lol

If folks claims it actually works.Then condemning the act is uncalled for.You can only argue that the approach should be more controlled and clean.
I agree proper protection should be won by the child before subjecting him/her to the natural elements of the earth which could be harmful.The risk involved are manageable and shouldn't be really an issue if it can be done in a controlled and clean environment.

It's not a question of if it works but a question of if it's safe.

Safety first always
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by gj22(m): 10:23pm On Dec 10, 2016
lonelydora:

It works, whether you call it superstition or not.

ITS NOT SAFE!!! JESUS CHRIST.

1 Like

Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by gj22(m): 10:26pm On Dec 10, 2016
misterjosh:
I don't see this as barbaric or cruel. so long the kid is in no pain or discomfort. Not everyone can afford a physiotherapist, so they're carrying out therapy on the child within their own means.

You don't see how exposing a child with a very fragile immune system to microbes and germs of various kinds is a bad thing? Ok
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by gj22(m): 10:28pm On Dec 10, 2016
Ajaodolapo:
neo-colonialism in its full effect. Evritin dat is African, even if it works is seen as barbaric, dirty.i pity ds generation of ours. If it gives desired result nko? Wat den will u say?

You cannot act like an animal all in the name of "I am African" . If this kid falls sick a few days later, they will say it's people from the village.
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by gj22(m): 10:31pm On Dec 10, 2016
sinkhole:
The point is, it works, as claimed by some people and hence further studies of how and why it works need to be done! There may be hidden knowledge here.

There is no further studies that need to be done. Common sense will tell you that the ground acts as a support structure giving the baby enough confidence to attempt walking.

There are safer ways to do this instead of using dirt.
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by gj22(m): 10:32pm On Dec 10, 2016
kings11ng:

just because you are talking about common sense, it doesn't mean you have it. that you don't understand something doesn't mean it ain't effective. don't be too quick to expose your ignorance

It's you that is ignorant if you cannot see how burying a child with a fragile immune system in dirt is a bad thing.
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by gj22(m): 10:33pm On Dec 10, 2016
samsam2019:
Africans with their disregardfor their very own culture. So I have seen it before and it works just fine.

Our ancestors may not build planes but they are thinkers. They are not some nut eating monkeys the whites would have you believe.

Some of y'all openingyour mouth like goat you don't even know if that was how you began to walk

Is it safe?
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by OAUTemitayo: 11:03pm On Dec 10, 2016
redsceptic:

So anything that cannot be proven scientifically is rubbish to you?
Okay, then prove scientifically the existence of God.
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by VajanahDischaj(f): 11:57pm On Dec 10, 2016
DeLioncourt:

An ancient practice that only leaves the child with trauma.
This does not serve any sensible purpose...the idea that it with help the child walk is a baseless myth.
...and how many trauma pikin u Don count? cos u sabi speak english, u don go UK finish na. . .for your info, the child will be the happiest kid ever. I wonder what you will say when u see babies learning how to swim.
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by Sexina851(f): 11:58pm On Dec 10, 2016
DeLioncourt:

An ancient practice that only leaves the child with trauma.
This does not serve any sensible purpose...the idea that it with help the child walk is a baseless myth.

Abeg go sit down, trauma Kor dizziness ni, so u want him to crawl all his life abi? some people just like baseless arguments forming literates
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by Sexina851(f): 12:02am On Dec 11, 2016
redsceptic:

ITK, Pele o white man

1 Like

Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by cybriz82(m): 12:19am On Dec 11, 2016
MadamExcellency:

Stop arguing, I may not scientifically defend the practice but I have done it and it worked that same day.

delionshirt go n born ur own oooo if e dey pain u.....
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by cybriz82(m): 12:20am On Dec 11, 2016
Sexina851:

ITK, Pele o white man

dis 1 pass white man...na mayan abi na red indian we go call am...?
Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by cybriz82(m): 12:20am On Dec 11, 2016
Sexina851:

ITK, Pele o white man

Re: A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) by Sexina851(f): 12:32am On Dec 11, 2016
cybriz82:

hahaha, I remember those days my mom would cover me under some cooked herbs I mean a mixture of dongoyaro, mango,and guava leaf, she would then cover me with enough rappers over d hot herbs .that thing works more all dis malaria and typhoid drugs dey sell dis days. before d next day d malaria and typhoid would be gone, what am I trying to say? we are fast forgetting our natural and
painless to handling things, every small thing science! science! science like before it came we didn't have alternative

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

80-Year-Old Alaafin Of Oyo Demonstrates How To Disarm A Thief (Photos) / Beautiful Yoruba Brides In Their Costume / Alaafin Oyo's Last Letter To Governor Makinde

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.