Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,008 members, 7,806,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:15 AM

Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? (12217 Views)

Should I Eject My Lesbian Cousin From My House? / Given A 2nd Chance, Would You Still Marry Your Spouse? / Would You Marry Your Best Friend's Widow? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? by semasir: 7:34am On Nov 13, 2009
What would you do if you discover you're about to marry your third cousin? Go ahead with your plans or put a full stop?
Re: Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? by babypheb: 9:39am On Nov 13, 2009
I believe in up holding tradition,so from the part i come from you aren't suppose to get married to your third cousin's expect it get to the fifth,so i would forget about getting married to my thrid cousin.
Re: Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? by cantell(m): 9:42am On Nov 13, 2009
@Poster,
Nigerians don't ask this type of question. We have laws,tradition and taboos. And this, is definitely a taboo. Cousin,distant cousin - they're all the same. Don't neglect tradition.
Its who we are.
Re: Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? by jide000: 12:14pm On Nov 13, 2009
Marrying ur third cousin? I depends on your religion & what part of the country you come from.
Re: Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? by kokorunna(m): 3:50pm On Nov 13, 2009
It does not depend on religion, its abomination shocked

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? by Outstrip(f): 4:51pm On Nov 13, 2009
I don't think there is anything wrong with marrying your cousin though I would not do it. I just will not judge anyone who does it. There is so much more in life to bitch about
Re: Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? by ubiaa5(f): 5:09pm On Nov 13, 2009
you should absolutely not marry ur cousin 3rd,5th or otherwise,its wrong as long as there is blood involved.DO NOT DO IT.
Re: Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? by dominique(f): 7:36pm On Nov 13, 2009
if you marry a close relative. . . there's a huge chance of having genetically deformed children shocked
Re: Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? by MrCrackles(m): 7:38pm On Nov 13, 2009
Why is this even a subject of debate. . .
It is a NO NO!
Re: Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? by Fhemmmy: 9:03pm On Nov 13, 2009
3rd Cousin? That one hard oh.
Re: Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? by agathamari(f): 7:18pm On Nov 14, 2009
cantell:

@Poster,
Nigerians don't ask this type of question. We have laws,tradition and taboos. And this, is definitely a taboo. Cousin,distant cousin - they're all the same. Don't neglect tradition.
Its who we are.
not just nigeria. like 90% of the worlds cultures see this as taboo

poster move on, SAY NO TO INCEST!
Re: Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? by Fhemmmy: 11:08pm On Nov 14, 2009
agathamari:

not just nigeria. like 90% of the worlds cultures see this as taboo

what is 3rd cousin anyways?
Re: Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? by Ndipe(m): 12:34am On Nov 15, 2009
Is it an abomination to marry your fourth cousin? I know that first and second are definitely frowned upon in most societies, but I'd like to know if that is also outlawed in the society.
Re: Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? by Fhemmmy: 2:09am On Nov 15, 2009
Ndipe:

Is it an abomination to marry your fourth cousin? I know that first and second are definitely frowned upon in most societies, but I'd like to know if that is also outlawed in the society.

i will like to know more too
Re: Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? by agathamari(f): 4:01pm On Nov 15, 2009
Fhemmmy:

what is 3rd cousin anyways?

Re: Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? by agathamari(f): 4:30pm On Nov 15, 2009
Ndipe:

http://www.cousincouples.com/?page=facts
Re: Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? by r231(m): 4:47pm On Nov 15, 2009
nopeeeeee no no
Re: Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? by Radiant(f): 5:47pm On Nov 15, 2009
Outstrip:

I don't think there is anything wrong with marrying your cousin though I would not do it. I just will not judge anyone who does it. There is so much more in life to bitch about

Are you joking? Please don't tell me you're "open-minded".

Poster, get a grip!
Re: Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? by coolier(f): 10:11pm On Nov 15, 2009
If we bumped into each other in a far away place from home and neither of us knew we were third cousins.
Re: Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? by Fhemmmy: 12:42am On Nov 16, 2009
agathamari:

Thanks for that explanation, that was beautifully put.
I think the 3rd Cousin thing is kinda far jare, but chances are, i wont marry such sha . . . . but chances are it do happen, take someone like me that hardly get together with family stuff, cos i am not around them and i dont really have time, how do i know that a lady i dated wasn't 3rd or 4th cousin, but will just make sure it was not done intentionally.
Re: Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? by Radiant(f): 12:55am On Nov 16, 2009
Femi, the poster knows otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned it. Why would anyone marry from their lineage? I mean, known relatives.
Re: Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? by Fhemmmy: 2:36am On Nov 16, 2009
Radiant:

Femi, the poster knows otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned it. Why would anyone marry from their lineage? I mean, known relatives.

I feel u.
Like u said, when it is known.
Re: Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? by semasir: 6:25am On Jul 28, 2014
Posting this does not necessarily mean the poster is practising but need to know more or enlighten others too.

agathamari: not just nigeria. like 90% of the worlds cultures see this as taboo

Re: Can You Marry Your Third Cousin? by semasir: 6:26am On Jul 28, 2014
you said it all. Thanks
Radiant: Femi, the poster knows otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned it. Why would anyone marry from their lineage? I mean, known relatives.

(1) (Reply)

Can You Really Be Happy With The Same Person forever? / Why Do We Marry? / My Wife's 22yrs Old Niece Is Seriously Tempting Me . (she Like's Being Nude)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.