Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,845 members, 7,806,388 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:39 PM

What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage (109893 Views)

No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? / Cost Of Court Wedding In Nigeria / All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by UrennaNkoli(f): 11:45am On Dec 11, 2016
We are thinking of going for a court marriage (registry). Please tell me the advantages and disadvantages from the male and female point of view.
Also, can I achieve these things listed below with a court wedding?

# I don't like too much crowd and noise which are common with owanbe's

# Can a little reception be allowed to hold in the court premises without prohibition?

# low Kew wedding in which after the ceremony, everyone goes back to their respective homes

# At most 15 or less number of guests. I don't want too much crowd and paparazzi

# A budget of 150k probably for snacks, cake, food and drinks.

# Time : I don't think it should take more than 5 hours and all will be over.

I brought this to the family section as I believe there are more mature minds here compared to the romance section.
Lalasticlala and farano can help move to front page so that perspectives can be broadened.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by Nobody: 11:51am On Dec 11, 2016
You have already listed the key advantage which is budget and most importantly the LAW.

7 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by UrennaNkoli(f): 11:55am On Dec 11, 2016
truthsayer007:
You have already listed the key advantage which is budget and most importantly the LAW.
Thanks a lot. Can you talk about the law from the husband and wife point of view. I know some but tell me more.

For clarity sake, court/registry marriage are the same. In most countries its even termed as court marriage. Marriage proceedings are usually done in a registry which is affiliated to the law. In case there's a problem which I'll never have by God's grace , you go to the court to sort out the mess. Its right to say registry marriage, its also right to say court marriage. They are connected and together oversee your marriage.

Thanks all for your contributions.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by yomi007k(m): 12:05pm On Dec 11, 2016
kiss

Babe...ur remind me of my bae.

Dont know much abt ds so, I' ll jus read comments.

Tnks yall
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by Nobody: 12:09pm On Dec 11, 2016
UrennaNkoli:

Thanks a lot. Can you talk about the law from the husband and wife point of view. I know some but tell me more.

I don't know much myself. But this ones of for sure.

1. Whoever goes thru a marriage registry with aim to marry someone who is already married will be liable for 5 years jail.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by Nobody: 1:14pm On Dec 11, 2016
What if both parents are dead or unavailable @ truthsayer007?

to the op, it's not permitted to have any eating/reception inside the registry. although, most big registry's in Lagos state have hall/receptions they rent out right inside the compound.

The people I know that did court wedding, had a reception with the whole owambe thing after.

But I sense you're trying to cut costs and stick to a budget which is possible.
My advice goes thus ; After going to the registry in the morning, you can have a mini reception at a restaurant in the evening, that way you don't pay for hall and the restaurant handles the catering.
You will have to book the restaurant in advance and make an e-invite or to the number of people you want to invite.

41 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by byvan03: 5:58pm On Dec 11, 2016
truthsayer007:

1. Whoever goes thru a marriage registry with aim to marry someone who is already married will be liable for 5 years jail.

2. If none of your parents are around to sign for consent on the marriage. Only the Governor , A high court Judge, or highest ranked registry officer can sign for u.

Which means if u go and marry someone ur parents does not consent to. Is OYO for you oh ! Just go and do fake marriage certificate jeje.

Number 2 is false ,you need witnesses and not parents.

62 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by Sanchez01: 6:11pm On Dec 11, 2016
UrennaNkoli:
Sorry, had to quote your post to give a few suggestions

We are thinking of going for a court marriage (registry). Please tell me the advantages and disadvantages from the male and female point of view.
Well, court marriage favours the lady more than the man. I'd say it's wise as a lady to take this route, after the traditional though.

Being recognized by law as man and wife means a possible case of misbehaving in the nearest future would be minimal, compared to one that is not backed up by law. Disadvantages? Not really. All it requires is just witnesses and not necessarily parents.

Yes. To achieve this, it would be wiser to fix the date on a weekday, preferably Tuesday or Thursday. Friday is closer to Saturday, which means you could have people who would disappear from their workplaces to attend, even without being invited.

# Can a little reception be allowed to hold in the court premises without prohibition?
Not sure about this. Remember it's a court premises. However, I'd advise you look for a place around the registry for your reception. You'll get places around there, I'm sure.
# low Kew wedding in which after the ceremony, everyone goes back to their respective homes
# At most 15 or less number of guests. I don't want too much crowd and paparazzi
Yes, and all the more reason to stick with a weekday. Thursday is even far sef. Just stick with Tuesday or Wednesday and you'd be good.

Well, that might be quite difficult save you consider the kind of snacks and drinks. For the conventional 'small chops' you might be spending unnecessarily in that area. However, if your budget is targeted at less than 20 persons, then I'd recommend you contract people that are closer to you as they would offer you something valuable for a lesser amount.

Five hours is TOO MUCH for someone who doesn't want crowd. Most standard receptions don't even stay up to that. Also, put into consideration that most venues rent per hour, particularly in Lagos. So the longer you stay, the more you'd be spending. For me, I'd say 3 hours is enough.

27 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by adonbilivit: 6:43pm On Dec 11, 2016
hmm
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by opethom(m): 6:43pm On Dec 11, 2016
I'm here to learn #teamsingle

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by Nobody: 6:44pm On Dec 11, 2016
Op we are totally on the same page smiley

5 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by sbashir10(m): 6:45pm On Dec 11, 2016
it's cheap, fast, just sign necessary documents and carry your wife to bed,and start doing collabo, very easy no time to waste.

21 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by gurunlocker: 6:45pm On Dec 11, 2016
Recession budget wedding.... I love it

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by Bhuldoxxa(m): 6:45pm On Dec 11, 2016
No disadvantages because its best for the law to recognize your marriage especially with the way more and more people are becoming hard hearted.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by Branzy(m): 6:46pm On Dec 11, 2016
if you are a billionaire or intending billionaire don't do court wedding

36 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by friedcorn: 6:46pm On Dec 11, 2016
U spend less compare to church white wedding that will make some people to wed on borrowed money.
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by cricifixo: 6:47pm On Dec 11, 2016
If the parents are not around, relations can represent the absent parents
truthsayer007:

2. If none of your parents are around to sign for consent on the marriage. Only the Governor , A high court Judge, or highest ranked registry officer can sign for u.

Which means if u go and marry someone ur parents does not consent to. Is OYO for you oh ! Just go and do fake marriage certificate jeje.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by friedcorn: 6:48pm On Dec 11, 2016
If my wife is richer than i, and we eventually separate, are we not going to share her wealth so that i can also get my 50 percent of her property?
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by ariesbull: 6:49pm On Dec 11, 2016
UrennaNkoli:

I brought this to the family section as I believe there are more mature minds here compared to the romance section.
Lalasticlala and farano can help move to front page so that perspectives can be broadened.

from eperience, i did court wedding.I drove in..my withness drove in we had our weddiing wify wore wedding gown,we did our wedding and in less than 30 min we are done nd we took our marriage certificate

case closed..went back to work and wify went back to work

no food no drink

at the end of the day....we have our valid legal CERTIFICATE recognised by law

78 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by ariesbull: 6:52pm On Dec 11, 2016
Branzy:

even church marraige give you same certificate gotten from registrar...divorce proceeing and alimony is same and so forge these lies

are u marrying to dvorce in future

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by friedcorn: 6:52pm On Dec 11, 2016
cricifixo:
If the parents are not around, relations can represent the absent parents
what if her parents are dead, and her relative doesnt want her to marry u including her uncles and aunts becos u are a christian and she is already a born again christian and wants to marry you, is court marriage possible?
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by ariesbull: 6:54pm On Dec 11, 2016
Joavid:

to the op, it's not permitted to have any eating/reception inside the registry. although, most big registry's in Lagos state have hall/receptions they rent out right inside the compound.

The people I know that did court wedding, had a reception with the whole owambe thing after.

My advice goes thus ; After going to the registry in the morning, you can have a mini reception at a restaurant in the evening, that way you don't pay for hall and the restaurant handles the catering.
You will have to book the restaurant in advance and make an e-invite or to the number of people you want to invite.

all u need is witness but your parents must consent
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by brownhawk: 6:54pm On Dec 11, 2016
Branzy:
why?
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by rawtouch: 6:55pm On Dec 11, 2016
joavid and sanchez01 have said it all....
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by lordhugo(m): 6:55pm On Dec 11, 2016
One small advice,

Whatever the "budget amount" you finally arrive at, make provision for some extra costs that would arrive.

What I simply mean is, have extra cash AT HAND.

Do you want to add snails to the menu?

For 12k, I would supply you 2kg of washed frozen snails.

Farmingenquiries @gmail.com

6 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by kkfactor(m): 6:55pm On Dec 11, 2016
Joavid:

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by Crownofwealth(m): 6:57pm On Dec 11, 2016
OP THERE IS NOTHING LIKE COURT MARRIAGE. RATHER YOU CAN CALL IT STATUTORY MARRIAGE.

6 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by VcStunner(m): 6:59pm On Dec 11, 2016
Look how I jumped right into the gaddamn thread like am wedding tumoro....

The infos may come in handy soon tho.
Listen and learn son... just listen read and learn smiley
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by cricifixo: 7:02pm On Dec 11, 2016
Very very possible, any mature individual can stand for you as witness. But still parents blessings are important
friedcorn:
what if her parents are dead, and her relative doesnt want her to marry u including her uncles and aunts becos u are a christian and she is already a born again christian and wants to marry you, is court marriage possible?

1 Like

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by omololu2020(m): 7:02pm On Dec 11, 2016
Branzy:
i can never do a court wedding

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage by erimmy(m): 7:02pm On Dec 11, 2016
My regret is that I didn't have the idea of doing the court marriage and an indoor trado.I went the whole hog of the tripartite arrangement. Henceforth ,I'll advise couples to do only the trado and the registry. It's OK that way

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Shameful Photos Of Men And Women Caught Having Sexxx (photos) / Woman Buys Coffin For Husband In Anambra As Father's Day Gift / Kenyan Lovers Trapped During Sex (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.