Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,156 members, 7,780,117 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:52 AM

What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Large Wheels And Small Tyre Bezels - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Large Wheels And Small Tyre Bezels (8759 Views)

Car Driving On Three Wheels In Lagos (PHOTOS) / Donald Trump's Beast Vs Vladimir Putin's Bunker On Wheels (Photo Comparison) / Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Large Wheels And Small Tyre Bezels by RazaqMB(m): 3:20pm On Dec 17, 2016
Thanks guys for the input. I want to shift away from the rims now and talk about the tyre side walls. I am sure the side walls of a tyre also plays an important roll with the rim for example if the side wall is taller, the less damage or something like that. Now my question is what is the minimum height of the tyre side wall in order to avoid tyre burst or bent rims

Note- tyre side wall for my 205/55/r17 is 11.275cm
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Large Wheels And Small Tyre Bezels by Okaakoko(m): 6:56pm On Dec 17, 2016
RazaqMB:
what was there before?
rim 14
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Large Wheels And Small Tyre Bezels by Originalsly: 10:31pm On Dec 17, 2016
@Op...not an expert... but let me try to break it down. Whatever size rim or tyre you decide to put on.... the diameter of the wheel should not change. If the rim was 14" and you need to switch to 16" rims... then the 2"" you add to the rims ... you need to reduce the profile/depth of the tyre by 2 ". The lower the profile of the tyre... the more expensive it is.... the less cushion it has absorb shock from potholes... the closer your rims are to the road and a higher risk of getting damaged when a pot hole is hit... damage to both rim and tyre. The bigger the rim... the heavier it will be and the suspension system etc were not designed to have such heavy rims. With low profile...I guarantee you ... you wouldn't be having them too long after visiting the vulcanized at least 3 times a week if you drive daily. A one inch increase is fine. .. but to go all out... you'll learn the hard way. Lastly....low profile tyres are for racing/high speed driving... does your Turtle Toyota have twin turbo?
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Large Wheels And Small Tyre Bezels by apache77(m): 8:17pm On Dec 19, 2016
I
400billionman:
Large alloy rims are not good for your pocket.

Your rims will bend often with bad roads. You can't fix alloy rims manually.

Your tyres will burst faster on bad roads.

You will do wheel alignment and balancing often..

Whats the gain ?

100% correct

(1) (2) (Reply)

Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk / My Ford Focus Displays Engine Systems Fault / Corolla 04 Gear Issue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.