Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,973 members, 7,806,828 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:47 AM

Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! (4069 Views)

[VIDEO] A Nigerian Doctor Based In New York Has Tested Positive For Coronavirus / Transformation Photos Of A Female Nigerian Doctor Based In The US / A Nigerian Family Of Doctors Based In The US (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by naijadoc2b: 6:09pm On Dec 11, 2016
Hey everyone!

I myself have benefitted immensely from threads like this when I was still aspiring to join the medical sector many years ago. I now feel fortunate to repay the favor.

I am an internal medicine doctor based in the US currently furthering my training in Cardiology. Feel free to ask any medical questions and I will aim to answer to the best of my knowledge ( I employ other doctors to chime in as they see fit). Questions from medical students/aspirants and other doctors are also welcome.

Look forward to hearing from you!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by Theyveedo(m): 6:25pm On Dec 11, 2016
What requirements dose one need to study medicine in the US?
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by unbranded13(f): 6:26pm On Dec 11, 2016
Thanks...Pls what's the treatment for Jaundice in adult and what can the person eat
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by daewoorazer(m): 10:05pm On Dec 11, 2016
naijadoc2b:
Hey everyone!

I myself have benefitted immensely from threads like this when I was still aspiring to join the medical sector many years ago. I now feel fortunate to repay the favor.

I am an internal medicine doctor based in the US currently furthering my training in Cardiology. Feel free to ask any medical questions and I will aim to answer to the best of my knowledge ( I employ other doctors to chime in as they see fit). Questions from medical students/aspirants and other doctors are also welcome.

Give me the cheapest of Schools to study medicine
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by naijadoc2b: 9:31pm On Dec 12, 2016
unbranded13:
Thanks...Pls what's the treatment for Jaundice in adult and what can the person eat

This is an interesting question and I will use the opportunity to address others who might have a similar issue.

Jaundice in itself is just the physical manifestation of someone with elevated blood levels of bilirubin. Without getting into the technical details, bilirubin is a breakdown product of red blood cells and subsequent by products are responsible for the coloration of of feces and urine. With that said, Jaundice in itself is not a disease but rather a sign of an underlying abnormality. This is a very important distinction to make particularly when it comes to our current Nigerian health ecosystem inclusive of consumers like yourself, pharmacists, local herbalists, clinics, hospitals to name a few. It is more important to determine WHY one is manifesting such signs and symptoms in order to then come up with an appropriate assessment and plan. Trying to find a drug or procedure to cure a sign or symptom is the wrong way to approach things.

The case of [b]Jaundice in the adult [/b]is a perfect case in point as the underlying cause can be quite varied. After a detailed history and physical, a liver function test would need to be obtained to accurately classify the type of Jaundice. Broad categories for further classification of the possible cause could be;

*pre-hepatic (occuring prior to arrival to the liver which is responsible for processing bilirubin) such as: increased break down of red blood cells from genetic causes (sickle cell, thalassemias, G6PD deficiency and other complex disorders to name a few), severe malaria, some infections can be associated with hemolysis etc

*Intra-hepatic causes include; acute or chronic hepatitis (typically viral), drug or autoimmune hepatitis, cirrhosis, cancer/malignancy, Primary biliary cirrhosis, sclerosing cholangitis to name a few. These typically will be associated with other manifestations of liver injury (RUQ pain) or liver failure such as Lower extremity edema, ascites, easy bruising and can even progress to involve kidney failure.

*Post-hepatic causes (coming after the liver-conjugated hyperbilirubinemia): typically are obstructive in nature and usually involves blockage of drainage of properly processed bilirubin from the liver. This includes pancreatitis, pancreatic cancer, cholangiocarcinoma, drug or pregnancy induced cholestasis etc.

The point I hope to drive home here is that each one of the aforementioned conditions involves a unique therapeutic approach. Therefore, [b]appropriate diagnosis [/b]is the most important aspect in this process because that is the only way the right therapy/treatment can be determined. The benefits of medications, procedures and surgeries typically only outweigh the associated risks and adverse effects when it is used appropriately for the right disease process or condition. Otherwise, you often end up doing more harm than good.

So please unbranded13, try to find a good doctor who can talk to you, get a great history and physical exam to confirm and try to better understand the cause of your jaundice. After which, he/she can perform the right diagnostic tests to determine how best to move forward. You are sometimes better served by someone who tells you they don't know and refers you to a more qualified colleague who might than by someone who is quick to prescribe therapies that are not based on the proper diagnostic approach. I hope this was helpful to you and anyone else with a question regarding jaundice.

I am currently working with a few medical colleagues in partnership with major healthcare stake holders in Nigeria on bringing world class medical care to the Nigerian population. We are very interested in hearing from the masses in order to fully understand your current thoughts, needs and desires in the ideal medical practice.

We would sincerely appreciate you taking a few minutes to complete this survey to enable us to better serve your needs. We strongly believe that Nigerians should have access to world class medical care and will work hard to make this a reality!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Z6THZ2F
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by wealthinfos(m): 11:31pm On Dec 12, 2016
i have been experiencing malaria and typhiod symptoms consistently. even when i run a test in a lab and treat malaria and typhiod it seems to resurface over time. I also experience troubles and noise in my stomach, what do u think is the problem? Am i have taken so trado mediacls cleansers, am thinking of taking Ruzu bitters. is Ruzu effective? or what is the solution to this issue?

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by Temibabie(f): 11:58pm On Dec 12, 2016
naijadoc2b:
Hey everyone!

Thanks,pls i have this thing on my arms,mostly on my veins,it's looks like small small growths from inside,not on the outer part,please wat is it called
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by naijadoc2b: 12:28am On Dec 13, 2016
Theyveedo:
What requirements dose one need to study medicine in the US?

In order to be considered for acceptance into a medical school in the US you typically need to have a bachelors degree and have completed at least 1 year of the following course work:
General biology
Physics with lab
General chemistry with lab
Organic chemistry with lab
Calculus
English
Sociology
Psychology

With a competitive GPA (grade point average) which is typically how quarters/semesters are evaluated in the US. Most schools have a cut off of 3.3 (out of 4) and this is then sub-classified into a general/cumulative GPA vs Science GPA with more emphasis on the latter.

You also have to complete the MCAT with a competitive score (considering international status). This typically has a Physical science, Biological science, Verbal and writing section. I personally find that international applicants do best on the physical and biological sciences and tend to struggle most on the Verbal section. This probably has to do with the structure, sometimes esoteric material covered and style of standardized testing that US students are already used to. I recommend expanding your reading into the social sciences, literature and other non science reading material in order to get comfortable with this type of material

Letters or recommendation Research, volunteer and clinical shadowing experiences are also crucial to enhance your competitiveness. Having a research publication at this stage certainly goes a long way because you literally need to check every possible box to separate yourself from the pack.

With that said, the statistics from admission data particularly for international students is quite intimidating. However, I believe one has to equip themselves which as much realistic information/data as possible in order to accurately appraise and prepare for the task that lies ahead. In 2013, a total of 1088 non US citizens/residents applied with 115 successfully matriculating (10.6%). I have attached a link to a website with a great comprehensive chart with matriculation and cost data for the US and Canadian medical schools that consider international applicants. The average matriculation rate per institution appears to be between 0-2%.
http://premedusa..com/2014/06/US-Medical-Schools-for-Internationals-Updated.html

I hope you find this helpful!

I am currently working with a few medical colleagues in partnership with major healthcare stake holders in Nigeria on bringing world class medical care to the Nigerian population. We are very interested in hearing from the masses in order to fully understand your current thoughts, needs and desires in the ideal medical practice.

We would sincerely appreciate you taking a few minutes to complete this survey to enable us to better serve your needs. We strongly believe that Nigerians should have access to world class medical care and will work hard to make this a reality!

Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by Q12(m): 12:38am On Dec 13, 2016
Very good one. Please keep it up.

www.docotal.com
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by oneitalia: 11:28am On Dec 13, 2016
Hi Doc, what are the chances of someone with hormonal imbalance to conceive ?
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by mathew247: 9:06pm On Dec 13, 2016
not rich as I want...whats the problem?
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by naijadoc2b: 6:56am On Jan 03, 2017
mathew247:
not rich as I want...whats the problem?

Perception of riches maybe? Health is wealth as they say

1 Like

Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by naijadoc2b: 7:00am On Jan 03, 2017
oneitalia:
Hi Doc, what are the chances of someone with hormonal imbalance to conceive ?

Apologize for the delayed reply oneitalia, there was an issue with my account after a prior post.

It really depends on the type and details of the hormonal imbalance in question. There are certainly many options available for women having difficulty with conception with medical available today. Secondly, there are truly on a few "hormonal issues" that would completely limit conception. Please provide some more information regarding the specific hormonal imbalance you are referring to and perhaps I could more accurately attempt to answer your question

Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by naijadoc2b: 7:08am On Jan 03, 2017
Temibabie:

Thanks,pls i have this thing on my arms,mostly on my veins,it's looks like small small growths from inside,not on the outer part,please wat is it called

The general term for what you seem to be describing is a subcutaneous nodule. Obviously an actual physical exam would lead to a more accurate assessment. With that said, that is just an unbrella term for this. The underlying cause of this really depends on the the characteristics of this nodule and other associated signs and symptoms.

Is it mobile (does it move when you touch it or just stay in one place)? is it painful? when did you first notice it (always been there or just popped up recently)? any other associated symptoms? rash? or is it not bothersome and you are just concerned because its there.

The human body is quite amazing and some of these growths are actually benign/harmless and might even resolve on its own. It could also be an indication of an underlying issue.
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by Nobody: 8:31am On Jan 03, 2017
wealthinfos:
i have been experiencing malaria and typhiod symptoms consistently. even when i run a test in a lab and treat malaria and typhiod it seems to resurface over time. I also experience troubles and noise in my stomach, what do u think is the problem? Am i have taken so trado mediacls cleansers, am thinking of taking Ruzu bitters. is Ruzu effective? or what is the solution to this issue?

Thanks
boss we r many hear on nairaland dat have dat typhoid problem ooo...i don tire for am self.
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by unbranded13(f): 9:40pm On Jan 03, 2017
Hi Doc, please what do u advice for a person with prostate enlargement and back ache... the ache is so much that he can't stand and the legs are swollen
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by ihimiray(m): 11:45pm On Jan 03, 2017
naijadoc2b:
Hey everyone!

doc please how do i add more weight,big looking a lil bit thin
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by Noir11: 12:05am On Jan 04, 2017
Doc,I had severe back ache and stomach ache weeks before my period and when the period finally comes still had d pains and just little flow for just 2days...and if I press ma tummy it hurts please what do u think it's happening
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by ottalo: 10:18pm On Jan 04, 2017
Please doc am having serious insomnia, what's the best treatment for it?
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by Yesitsme(f): 7:45am On Jan 05, 2017
Dr, am 28weeks pregnant and has B- blood group, its my second actually. I took Rhogam after delivery and now my gynae says I have to take it at 30wks and after delivery. Is that necessary? why not after delivery? cos the injection is very expensive here and we can't really afford it twice. The gynea said research reveals that sometimes the first dose isn't usually effective. But o know of people who took it only after delivery.
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by dixon400(m): 8:21am On Jan 05, 2017
Please by bp is always above 140 and am not even 25yet. My diastolic pressure is normal but my pulse is also high. It is not like am thinking too much. I don't want to start using bp drugs yet. What can u recommend ?
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by neurosci: 6:17pm On Jan 05, 2017
Do you respond to PMs on this forum?

1 Like

Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by naijadoc2b: 8:28am On Jan 06, 2017
neurosci:
Do you respond to PMs on this forum?

I try to when chanced
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by naijadoc2b: 8:58am On Jan 06, 2017
nnamdiokere45:
boss we r many hear on nairaland dat have dat typhoid problem ooo...i don tire for am self.

Sorry to hear about your ongoing troubles. So you state you have been experiencing recurrent malaria and typhoid symptoms which I will interpret as mainly fevers and gastrointestinal symptoms such as abdominal pain/discomfort, constipation, diarrhea and skin rash to name a few. The "troubles and noise in your stomach" seem to be more consistent with gastrointestinal symptoms which is more associated with typhoid.

I assume most Nigerians are familiar with the cause and treatment of malaria (mosquito borne parasitic infection with characteristic cyclic fevers)

Typhoid on the other hand is cause by Salmonella Typhi and is typicaly spread via fecal-oral route. Essentially passed in the stool and transmitted by contamination of orally ingested foods or liquids. Accurate diagnosis with a lab test and treatment should be sufficient. However, if you are essentially being reinfected by virtue of your recurrent symptoms and this is proven on repeat testing after an interval period of resolution then the problem is really with prevention. As I previously stated, typhoid is transmitted via a fecal-oral route , therefore hand hygiene and being cognizant of the hygiene practices and quality of the food establishments that you patronize is very important. So if you find that this is a personal ongoing issue, you might want to be more careful with your local "mama put" and restaurants that you visit because you might just be reinfecting yourself until you isolate the source. You can also read about "Typhoid Mary" who was a cook in the 1940s that notoriously spread typhoid to dozens of people.

I personally don't believe in just taking drugs/herbs/procedures etc instead of getting to the actual root of the problem which might be as easy as great hand hygiene (hand sanitizers, hand washing, minimizing eating out and if you do then ensuring healthy food preparation practices). Unfortunately, typhoid is prevalent in developing countries due to a combination of sub optimal sanitary practices in massive population centers. Prevention is key!

I hope you and everyone else dealing with this similar issue found this helpful!

Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by naijadoc2b: 9:15am On Jan 06, 2017
unbranded13:
Hi Doc, please what do u advice for a person with prostate enlargement and back ache... the ache is so much that he can't stand and the legs are swollen

So this is actually VERY VERY concerning and requires further evaluation as soon as possible. I preface this by saying I can only work on the limited information provided from having not seen this patient in person. However, in medicine what you just described is what we consider a RED FLAG symptom that typically indicates a SERIOUS underlying problem.

In this case you report an individual with known prostate enlargement that is now having debilitating back pain to the point where he can't stand. I assume a physician actually diagnosed this prostate enlargement by physical exam or imaging or someone arrived at this diagnosis due to urinary symptoms. When one thinks of prostate enlargement, the concern is typically either benign prostate enlargement or prostate cancer. Benign prostate enlargement (BPH) as the name implies is benign (not harmful) and typically requires close monitoring and management of the associated symptoms which are typically urinary in nature due to the associated anatomic changes.

Prostate cancer on the other hand is serious diagnosis but still has great therapeutic options when diagnosed early. However, as prostate cancer progresses or sometimes even before it is diagnosed it can spread (metastasize) to other parts of the body. A very common location of spread is to the BONE. Therefore, when someone has prostate enlargement and severe back pain as you describe, the number one concern is for prostate cancer and this requires prompt medical evaluation to rule out this possibility. This is even more important with spine involvement as this can lead to serious neurological complications such as paraplegia.

I hope you find this helpful.

1 Like

Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by naijadoc2b: 9:25am On Jan 06, 2017
ihimiray:
doc please how do i add more weight,big looking a lil bit thin

I would just ensure you are maintaining a healthy diet rich in fruits, vegetables, a good source of protein with meats or fish an try to exercise to maintain good cardiovascular health. The basic 3 meals daily with healthy snacks and appropriate hydration. The concept of "weight" and what is considered "thin" is often quite cultural and less anchored in physiological understanding of the human body. One should aim to maintain a relatively healthy range BMI with particular emphasis on staying away from the range of obesity based on your height and weight in order to ensure great health outcomes!

I hope that was helpful.

Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by naijadoc2b: 9:37am On Jan 06, 2017
ottalo:
Please doc am having serious insomnia, what's the best treatment for it?

This will be a recurring theme in my responses but I believe the better question is why you are having "serious insomnia". What is the best treatment often only leads to treatment with medications without consideration of the actual cause.

Your insomnia could be due to a multitude of issues and it takes a good history to figure out why you are having insomnia.
-Do you have issues falling asleep? or staying asleep?
-How long has this been going on?
-What age range are you in?
-Difficulties with mood? feeling more down than usual? stress at work? stress at home?
-Sleep hygiene: do you have a sleep routine? TV in the room? electronic devices before bed? what type of drinks before you go to bed (soda, coffee, alcohol)?
-Nightmares? palpitations/heart racing? racing thoughts?

You catching my drift?

I can easily put you to sleep with medications...it just takes the right combination. The extreme of that would be the Michael Jackson story where essentially I can sedate you. However, this does not fix the problem but rather only exposes you to a host of adverse reactions and consequences. Think Michael Jackson!

I hope you find this helpful

Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by naijadoc2b: 10:29am On Jan 06, 2017
Noir11:
Doc,I had severe back ache and stomach ache weeks before my period and when the period finally comes still had d pains and just little flow for just 2days...and if I press ma tummy it hurts please what do u think it's happening

How long has this been going on and has it always been associated with your period? If so, then this is likely due to fibroids especially with the reported associated back pains as well. Fibroids respond to the hormonal stimulation that is associated with the usual menstrual cycle which leads to inflammation and resultant abdominal pain. Often times, the associated back pain is due to fibroids positioned on the posterior aspect of the uterus which essentially pulls back on it and causes some of the pain you feel.

This actually needs to be confirmed via ultrasound and a standard medical check up. This inflammation can be slightly suppressed with non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs but this should only be used for short periods of time due to associated adverse effects with long term use to your stomach and kidneys.

I hope you find this helpful

Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by Nobody: 10:53am On Jan 06, 2017
naijadoc2b:
Hey everyone!

hi doc,I've been having itches all over my body with reddish patches, i tot it was heat from STI,I've taken drugs BT to no avail
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by Tushborn: 2:05am On Jan 07, 2017
pls i need more info abt paranoid schizophrenia and can it be cured?. and what drug is best for its treatment with less side effects.
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by adex1300(m): 7:09pm On Jan 09, 2017
help doctor can u please explain further the meaning of this ECG interpretation.
LVH t abnormality in high lateral leads

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Human Hair" Wigs Are Made From DEAD BODIES' And GOATS Hair. / Sit-ups Will Not Give You Six-packs And Could Leave You With A Pot Belly / 16 And 17 Of Age Can Now Receive COVID-19 Jabs In Nigeria - NPHCDA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.