Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,769 members, 7,806,120 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:44 AM

How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours (16668 Views)

These High End luxury Electric Cars Are Coming To Compete With Tesla (Photos) / How Cars 45 Ripped Us Off / This 6 Levels Of Autonomous Driving Explains How Cars Are Taking Over From Human (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by TRYGO(m): 2:37am On Dec 12, 2016
INTRODUCTION
This article points out some of the techniques employed by car thieves, and how you could safeguard yours.
How would you feel, when you wake up one morning, or you're at a retail shop, and suddenly realise your range rover sport, or your BMW X5, is no more? it's being stolen?

That is what almost all car owners, wouldn't want to experience. But it's a reality, waiting to happen, if urgent steps aren't taken by owners and security agencies.

Even the most sophisticated of cars, with custom installed security systems have being hacked and stolen.
Relying on your car's factory fitted keyless ignition system, these days, as a theft deterrent, isn't a surety. Such cars can still be stolen, with just some simple techniques.

WAYS THIEVES CAN STEAL YOUR CAR
The following methods are some of the ways thieves steal peoples cars.

1. SIGNAL AMPLIFICATION
In this method, the thieve positions his/herself close to the owner of the car, or where the key is located, not too far away from the vicinity of the car's signal range. The car owner won't even suspect that the person standing close to him, has something amplifying the signal from his key fob. They use simple transmission gadgets to do that.
Normally, keyless entry systems and the start buttons, work on the same principle.
This is how it works. The car sends out some kind of short distance radio frequencies, and the key fob(that's your remote key for the car), receives that frequency, and transmits it back to the car, fooling the car's computer system to think that the owner has locked the doors.

OBJECTIVES: Open up the doors and steal the car by starting the engine using the same technique.

SOLUTION:
*Make sure when locking the doors, ensure that the CLUCK sound is heard, signifying the doors are properly locked.
*Check your key fob to ensure the lights worked also.
*Keys should not be kept in close proximity to the car. This would help drain the car's key fob faster.
*Buy a key fob preserver. That prevents any transmission signals sent from a car thieve to your key fob.

2. KEY PROGRAMMING
There are cheap key programming tools out there for a small fee.
Programming of a car's keyless ignition system(start button), doesn't require hours. Just some 12s, a new key fob has being programmed, encoding your car's security codes in it. This, vehicle thieves do by connecting the tool through the car's OBD11 port, and accessing the car's software. The programming can easily start and unlock the doors.

Key programming won't be of help, unless the car's doors were accessed. That can only be achieved, either by breaking the glasses, or using a radio wireless signal transmitter.

Objective: Stealing the car
Solution: Fit a diagnostic port lock on the obd11, and use additional security such as a steering-wheel lock.

3. SIGNAL JAMMING
This is the most commonly used way thieves gain access to your car.
A device that transmits on the same radio frequency as the remote key fobs is used to jam the signal that locks the car.
Normally, gadget might be in the pocket of a car thieve in a car park, or left in shrubbery near a driveway that's being targeted.
In this technique, when you press the lock button on the key fob, the command is prevented from reaching the vehicle and it remains unlocked. Thieves are left with an open door.
Jamming signals are also found applicable in military spheres of warfare.

OBJECTIVE: To gain access to vehicles, usually to steal valuables inside.
SOLUTION: Make sure the indicators flash when you press the lock button and listen for the clunk of locks.

4. RANGE TESTING.
Some keyless fobs may still be in range of the car when if left inside a house close to the vehicle.
Car thieves can discreetly check the doors by trying the door handles, which may unlock the doors, but are unlikely to be able to drive the car away, even if they eventually get inside.
Keyless systems would always require a key fob to be inside the car before the engine will start.

Even if car owners do not fall victim to these thieves, they may end up with a flat battery because the closeness of the key keeps electronic systems on standby. That's why lot of folks wonder how a car's keyless fob battery easily discharges.

OBJECTIVE: To Gain access to a vehicle.
SOLUTION:  
*Get a safe place for your car keys at home
* Ensure that the keys are out of range of the car.

5. CODE GRABBING
In this technique, car thieves armed with advanced gadgets lie in wait for cars of their choice, as though they own them. When the owner locks the doors, the signal is captured directly by the device. It then calculates the unlocked key code, through this process.

OBJECTIVE: To gain access to a vehicle.
SOLUTION:
* Lock the car with a key if possible.

6. APP HACKING.
Computer systems these days, are no longer safe as one might expect. They could hacked from anywhere in the world. These is similar to what scammers do. They fraudulently access your personal data, and even passwords to scam you.

Companies like Google, and Apple, have in collaboration with some auto makers, recently started incorporating infotainment/security gadgets on their cars.
Apps like these, allow drivers to communicate through their smart phones(unlock their car). Thieves can do the same thing on their own phones, if they can log in to the app as the vehicle’s owner. What they only need to achieve that, is the password, which they may steal or guess.
This method is rarely used but could become popular as car makers attempt to connect their vehicles with owners’ smartphones.

SOLUTION:
* Ensure you create an alphanumeric secured password.

CONCLUSION
In some of these techniques, cars are stolen or gained access into, without any signs of go breaking into the car's doors/windows.
Being vigilant and spending a little bit more securing your car with much more advanced security systems, and a car tracking device would go along way in helping the police track your car in case its being stolen

Regards,

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by symbianDON(m): 9:46pm On Dec 12, 2016
interesting article

1 Like

Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by TRYGO(m): 10:04pm On Dec 12, 2016
@symbianDon. Thanks a thousand. How you doing?!
Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by symbianDON(m): 6:43am On Dec 13, 2016
TRYGO:
@symbianDon. Thanks a thousand. How you doing?!
I'm doing quite great...I hope it's the same with you?

1 Like

Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by torres89: 7:39am On Dec 13, 2016
very good article
but I prefer my dad's old and effective security method
pedal lock....

just get a welder to do it for you less than a 1000 naira or so
then buy Carmel padlock
who born the thief well

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by TRYGO(m): 9:00pm On Dec 13, 2016
@torese. You're right o! Just that some people don't seem to prefer steering wheel/
pedal lock. But in my view, it's still helpful in these times.

1 Like

Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by nony43(m): 6:42am On Dec 15, 2016
C
Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by celestialAgent(m): 6:43am On Dec 15, 2016
Oga forget that level, if a good mechanic jam your car, no amount of security can save it except for the high end security cars.

My mech one told me he can steal any car provided he has a Screwdriver, I weak.

1 Like

Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by theophorus(m): 6:45am On Dec 15, 2016
Bros!

Forget all this "Security measures" if them ready to "Borrow" your car them go still break all those measures.

1 Like

Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by WebSurfer(m): 6:45am On Dec 15, 2016
grin
Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by Brown47: 6:49am On Dec 15, 2016
op you are sharing the Safeguarding measures with them again grin

car thieves would be like cool

2 Likes

Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by Clonus: 6:49am On Dec 15, 2016
I am afraid this is also educating the thief

2 Likes

Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by EddyNumerouno(m): 6:55am On Dec 15, 2016
You forgot gun.

Objective: to borrow your car

Solution:_________________
(fill in the blank space)

2 Likes

Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by rawtouch: 6:56am On Dec 15, 2016
what if lastma wants to tow ur car..
Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by donmatin(m): 7:00am On Dec 15, 2016
Lol,so u want to pay a welder 1k to do a good job for you?try fear God small now
torres89:
very good article

but I prefer my dad's old and effective security method

pedal lock....

just get a welder to do it for you less than a 1000 naira or so

then buy Carmel padlock

who born the thief well

Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by Nobody: 7:01am On Dec 15, 2016
Big thank you OP.

While I don't own a keyless car.....I will own one in the future, and this info is very very useful.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by ednut1(m): 7:01am On Dec 15, 2016
does this apply in Nigeria
Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by princeFAD: 7:15am On Dec 15, 2016
Clonus:
I am afraid this is also educating the thief
Exactly my thought but this is a useful info and it is not possible to filter the recipients of info just because some people would take undue advantage of it to achieve evil plan.
Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by Icharityteam(m): 7:16am On Dec 15, 2016
Very interesting read indeed
symbianDON:
interesting article
Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by carrydeygo(m): 7:23am On Dec 15, 2016
Nice article from you,as for keyless systems it comes with an inbuilt steering lock which also receive signal from the security control module before unlocking. As for the mechanic who need just a screw driver to start a car,i will advice you run away from him him cos he is quack.
In conclusion,cars are normally stolen if anyone has access to your key,spare key or even at gun point.

1 Like

Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by TRYGO(m): 7:25am On Dec 15, 2016
If a good mechanic would steal a car, as someone said on this platform, I think it depends on where the car's parked, and the duration of the operation.
My stake is don't just rely on those security safeguards. You'll be the better safeguard against car theft. Just de security conscious, vigilante, then install them. They'll help prevent that car from being stolen someday.

The article being an Eye-opener to car thieves, well, I'm sorry to reveal such info.
This all boils down to how you invest in the security of your car(s).
Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by boluwaay(m): 7:25am On Dec 15, 2016
From my experience, the first aid (security) for your car is to always lock your steering wheel. it's the first prevention and I've seen it helped on few occasions.
Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by Zadok407(m): 7:35am On Dec 15, 2016
Thanks.
Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by dgitrader(m): 7:46am On Dec 15, 2016
greatest solution............ Dont use popular japanese brands, hot sellng honda and toyota models to be precise. Relax and enjoy ur cars
Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by tigonana: 7:49am On Dec 15, 2016
He no consign me cos I still dey lookup to God for my own car dis year!!!!

Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by DeBlessedOne(m): 7:56am On Dec 15, 2016
9jakohai:
Big thank you OP.

While I don't own a keyless car.....I will own one in the future, and this info is very very useful.

Thanks again!

The future is now! And u're already late!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by Pokermon: 8:17am On Dec 15, 2016
o gidi gan o
Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by litaninja(m): 8:34am On Dec 15, 2016
Did you read parts of this your copy & paste nonsense at all?

TRYGO:
INTRODUCTION
This article points out some of the techniques employed by car thieves, and how you could safeguard yours.
How would you feel, when you wake up one morning, or you're at a retail shop, and suddenly realise your range rover sport, or your BMW X5, is no more? it's being stolen?

That is what almost all car owners, wouldn't want to experience. But it's a reality, waiting to happen, if urgent steps aren't taken by owners and security agencies.

Even the most sophisticated of cars, with custom installed security systems have being hacked and stolen.
Relying on your car's factory fitted keyless ignition system, these days, as a theft deterrent, isn't a surety. Such cars can still be stolen, with just some simple techniques.

WAYS THIEVES CAN STEAL YOUR CAR
The following methods are some of the ways thieves steal peoples cars.

1. SIGNAL AMPLIFICATION
In this method, the thieve positions his/herself close to the owner of the car, or where the key is located, not too far away from the vicinity of the car's signal range. The car owner won't even suspect that the person standing close to him, has something amplifying the signal from his key fob. They use simple transmission gadgets to do that.
Normally, keyless entry systems and the start buttons, work on the same principle.
This is how it works. The car sends out some kind of short distance radio frequencies, and the key fob(that's your remote key for the car), receives that frequency, and transmits it back to the car, fooling the car's computer system to think that the owner has locked the doors.

OBJECTIVES: Open up the doors and steal the car by starting the engine using the same technique.

SOLUTION:
*Make sure when locking the doors, ensure that the CLUCK sound is heard, signifying the doors are properly locked.
*Check your key fob to ensure the lights worked also.
*Keys should not be kept in close proximity to the car. This would help drain the car's key fob faster.
*Buy a key fob preserver. That prevents any transmission signals sent from a car thieve to your key fob.

2. KEY PROGRAMMING
There are cheap key programming tools out there for a small fee.
Programming of a car's keyless ignition system(start button), doesn't require hours. Just some 12s, a new key fob has being programmed, encoding your car's security codes in it. This, vehicle thieves do by connecting the tool through the car's OBD11 port, and accessing the car's software. The programming can easily start and unlock the doors.

Key programming won't be of help, unless the car's doors were accessed. That can only be achieved, either by breaking the glasses, or using a radio wireless signal transmitter.

Objective: Stealing the car
Solution: Fit a diagnostic port lock on the obd11, and use additional security such as a steering-wheel lock.

3. SIGNAL JAMMING
This is the most commonly used way thieves gain access to your car.
A device that transmits on the same radio frequency as the remote key fobs is used to jam the signal that locks the car.
Normally, gadget might be in the pocket of a car thieve in a car park, or left in shrubbery near a driveway that's being targeted.
In this technique, when you press the lock button on the key fob, the command is prevented from reaching the vehicle and it remains unlocked. Thieves are left with an open door.
Jamming signals are also found applicable in military spheres of warfare.

OBJECTIVE: To gain access to vehicles, usually to steal valuables inside.
SOLUTION: Make sure the indicators flash when you press the lock button and listen for the clunk of locks.

4. RANGE TESTING.
Some keyless fobs may still be in range of the car when if left inside a house close to the vehicle.
Car thieves can discreetly check the doors by trying the door handles, which may unlock the doors, but are unlikely to be able to drive the car away, even if they eventually get inside.
Keyless systems would always require a key fob to be inside the car before the engine will start.

Even if car owners do not fall victim to these thieves, they may end up with a flat battery because the closeness of the key keeps electronic systems on standby. That's why lot of folks wonder how a car's keyless fob battery easily discharges.

OBJECTIVE: To Gain access to a vehicle.
SOLUTION:  
*Get a safe place for your car keys at home
* Ensure that the keys are out of range of the car.

5. CODE GRABBING
In this technique, car thieves armed with advanced gadgets lie in wait for cars of their choice, as though they own them. When the owner locks the doors, the signal is captured directly by the device. It then calculates the unlocked key code, through this process.

SOLUTION:
* Lock the car with a key if possible.

6. APP HACKING.
Computer systems these days, are no longer safe as one might expect. They could hacked from anywhere in the world. These is similar to what scammers do. They fraudulently access your personal data, and even passwords to scam you.

Companies like Google, and Apple, have in collaboration with some auto makers, recently started incorporating infotainment/security gadgets on their cars.
Apps like these, allow drivers to communicate through their smart phones(unlock their car). Thieves can do the same thing on their own phones, if they can log in to the app as the vehicle’s owner. What they only need to achieve that, is the password, which they may steal or guess.
This method is rarely used but could become popular as car makers attempt to connect their vehicles with owners’ smartphones.

SOLUTION:
* Ensure you create an alphanumeric secured password.

CONCLUSION
In some of these techniques, cars are stolen or gained access into, without any signs of go breaking into the car's doors/windows.
Being vigilant and spending a little bit more securing your car with much more advanced security systems, and a car tracking device would go along way in helping the police track your car in case its being stolen

Regards,
Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by Dontrapatolli(m): 8:50am On Dec 15, 2016
Thanks OP for this info. The more smarter cars are becoming the easier it is for them to be stolen. One of those methods you mentioned was used to access my car and the damage done is devasting as they tried to get into the OBD port.

2 Likes

Re: How Cars Are Stolen, And How You Can Safeguade Yours by DaBullIT(m): 9:34am On Dec 15, 2016
Thief no dey tiff rover

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dubious Calculusx of V.A Auto Sales Ventures Sold A Lemon Lexus ES 350 To Me! !! / 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew / Name Of Your First Car And Your Experience With It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.