Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,627 members, 7,801,814 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:10 AM

Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch (6491 Views)

Durojaiye Kehinde Obasanjo: I Drove My Amphibious Car From Lagos To Abuja / Man Hangs ₦540million Super Car From The Ceiling Of His Apartment In U.S.(Photo) / 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by chiraqDemon(m): 7:53am On Dec 13, 2016
Lately ive developed a partucular n strong interest in cars n building em so i would like to know if anyone here has built a car engine (n car) from scratch b4 ....ur experiences n challenges.....n how u started
I seriously would like to rebuild the engine of my corolla by myself(no experience or knowledge)maybe i could ask a mechanic to help too just to show me the way forward.
So ppl share ur experiences with me

Mods pls help me get needed attention for this
Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by DjAndroid: 7:56am On Dec 13, 2016
Be specific. Build or rebuild?
Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by chiraqDemon(m): 8:07am On Dec 13, 2016
DjAndroid:
Be specific. Build or rebuild?
Both.....
Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by nurey(m): 1:12pm On Dec 13, 2016
Building an engine from scratch isn't some how possible for one person to do. You have to do some extreme calculations, then go into chemistry and physics. Next stage is technical drawing once done, you have a blue print and you then move on to casting and materials.

After casting it goes back into testing guy don't let me bore you, it's impossible for you or just one individual to manufacture an engine from scratch without the help of others and high end precision equipments.

But rebuilding is possible, just dismantle the whole engine, look carefully at some components change those out of sync, repack and you are good to go.

Talk with the current father of car talk EgunMogaji. You will enjoy him if you are highly patient.

6 Likes

Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by veekid(m): 6:41am On Dec 20, 2016
Yeah; when I was in Japan grin

2 Likes

Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by Ayodejioak(m): 6:41am On Dec 20, 2016
What a question..
Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by budosky(m): 6:43am On Dec 20, 2016
Not yet, But willing to work on a tractor for my M.Eng.

1 Like

Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by dunkem21(m): 6:45am On Dec 20, 2016
Yeah ..

A toy car cheesy
Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by Cutezt(m): 6:46am On Dec 20, 2016
Are You Talking About Cars With Carton? If That, Yes.

11 Likes

Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by fotadmowmend(m): 6:46am On Dec 20, 2016
Sure . In my dreams

1 Like

Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by phayvoursky(m): 6:46am On Dec 20, 2016
In Nigeria? My guy this ur dream no be here
Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by guywitzerogal(m): 6:47am On Dec 20, 2016
See jamb question.....let me refer you to Mr Inno

5 Likes

Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by Bullet01(f): 6:47am On Dec 20, 2016
Yeah.

In my dream.

1 Like

Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by Okaakoko(m): 6:48am On Dec 20, 2016
let me come in to learn. I want to rebuild my old Nissan bluebird too
Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by johnmattew: 6:48am On Dec 20, 2016
how can an individual build a car from scratch....are u ttalking about toy car?

2 Likes

Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by CrazyScientist: 6:49am On Dec 20, 2016
Yes, actually grin.

Download 'Automation Game', you design your cars body, engine and everything, one wrong move, your car wouldnt start or the engine might knock. tongue

You also get to test it on a track against other cars you have built.
It also has a Campaign Mode , where you manage a car company. Think of it like a Mechanical Engineering AutoCad. cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by AlexCk: 6:50am On Dec 20, 2016
Building and rebuilding a car.

That takes lot of work, time, cash too, couple of friends did that as their project(mech eng) in school tho.

I think the "making of the engine" was really challenging for them, can't remember if they made one from scratch or rebuilt(repaired) a bad one, plus the chassis(not as challenging as the engine tho).

Hope you find what you looking for op.
Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by Nobody: 6:50am On Dec 20, 2016
grin
Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by Nobody: 6:51am On Dec 20, 2016
Yes, with an empty carton of sugar and about four bottled soft drink covers for tyres.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by femi4: 6:52am On Dec 20, 2016
Well growing up, I built so many with cardboard and counters

1 Like

Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by shaggy007(m): 6:55am On Dec 20, 2016
Me, build a car from scratch? I for don open company since.
Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by 1zynnvn(m): 7:07am On Dec 20, 2016
chiraqDemon:
Lately ive developed a partucular n strong interest in cars n building em so i would like to know if anyone here has built a car engine (n car) from scratch b4 ....ur experiences n challenges.....n how u started
I seriously would like to rebuild the engine of my corolla by myself(no experience or knowledge)maybe i could ask a mechanic to help too just to show me the way forward.
So ppl share ur experiences with me

Mods pls help me get needed attention for this

Goto YouTube search for Pete garage, watch all his videos on engine building, and youll be a pro in no time

2 Likes

Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by celestialAgent(m): 7:09am On Dec 20, 2016
Car engine, lol!

You can't build a car engine on your own sister. You have to mingle with real technicians and be good at critical thinking - escape from being the typical Africa graduate engineer whole only rely on the theories taught in school.

Ever wonder why with so many Nigeria engineering graduates, when government want to talks about diversifying the econimy, they hardly think/talk about the engineering sector! This is because what majority of them are therotically oriented and poor at critical thinking and implementation.

My advice for you is, forget about buliding a car engine and start thinking critically on building an electrical pulley.

Venturing into building a car engine right now is like wanting to model a relistic 3D car without knowing how to model a basic CUP.

1 Like

Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by 3KINGZ18: 7:10am On Dec 20, 2016
Op i think you mean restore
Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by CallMeNJay: 7:11am On Dec 20, 2016
Yes
Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by Dream2(m): 7:18am On Dec 20, 2016
Building a car from scrach as oga nurey posted is somehow not possible or let me say a tedious task that will require high tech.
I don't specialize in cars anyway but I'm currently rebuilding a Bedford truck from scratch with the help of my dad,started the engine on ground yesterday and hopefully by Monday everything will be complete,making it two within the space of 30days.
One thing is sure,you must be financially buoyant before building or rebuilding a car or truck.
Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by Viccur(m): 7:21am On Dec 20, 2016
Y nt
Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by omolola15(m): 7:24am On Dec 20, 2016
veekid:
Yeah; when I was in Japan grin

Loooooooooooooooooool you no serious. Omo Japan
Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by Nobody: 7:31am On Dec 20, 2016
Rebuilding a car and an engine are two different things, people here mostly rebuild engines, make modifications to their suspensions, do transmission swap and engine swap. They can also do RHD to LHD conversion.

No one builds cars in Nigeria, the most they do is to assemble, like innoson is doing,

We dont have steel, nor companies that can fabricate parts both metal and plastic.

Be content with just rebuilding your engine. There are no resources to build a complete car, except the toy cars you see idle people build with paper.

1 Like

Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by veekid(m): 7:32am On Dec 20, 2016
omolola15:

Loooooooooooooooooool you no serious. Omo Japan
grin
Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by Nobody: 7:37am On Dec 20, 2016
guywitzerogal:
See jamb question.....let me refer you to Mr Inno
eleyi tough pass jamb question o, i never hear this kind thing before except for primary school
Re: Has Anyone Here Built A Car From Scratch by Goldenheart(m): 7:42am On Dec 20, 2016
...only on paper....

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Is My Honda City Revving Itself.help Pls / I Am Interested In Getting A Power Bike / Here Are Common CVT Transmission Problems In Honda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.