Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,849 members, 7,798,836 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:03 AM

8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 (64039 Views)

Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly / 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning / 11 Popular English Words We Use Incorrectly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 by nextprince: 8:00pm On Dec 13, 2016
AreaFada2:

grin grin cheesy grin grin grin cheesy grin

I meant Spoken Japan, Russia and Germany.

grin grin I guess you have never seen a smart phone with predictive texting before.
Haha, predictive texting converting English to England? grin grin grin. Both are English words bro and the moment u type Eng, both will be provided as options.
Re: 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 by justicejay(m): 8:09pm On Dec 13, 2016
foxzy:
wake up
Before she bed wet abi.
Re: 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 by sweetcocoa(f): 8:26pm On Dec 13, 2016
Secondary school grammar.

I pity people who had bad English teachers.

Meanwhile, there's the American English and the UK version, nigeria claims to use the UK version but manage to sound somewhat American.

1 Like

Re: 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 by ukejeprecious(m): 8:28pm On Dec 13, 2016
kiss undecided
Re: 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 by chiefobdk(m): 8:37pm On Dec 13, 2016
AlphaPegasi:
igbo boys are the worst offenders. those niggas cant pronounce nothing to save their life. lolzz. igbo boy say CHASTE instead of CHEST

Afonjas cant pronounce to save d world.. Afonjas day MORING instead of MORNING.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 by chiefobdk(m): 8:39pm On Dec 13, 2016
Turks:
TO OUR IGBO SISTERS; IT'S NOT KOKUMBA

IT'S 'QUEUE-CUM-BAR'

grin
To our afonja sisters. Its not HEAR. but EAR
Re: 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 by iamkingzlee(m): 8:46pm On Dec 13, 2016
I'm not guilty of nos 5 undecided I've always pronounced it that way.
Re: 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 by ikorodureporta: 8:46pm On Dec 13, 2016
Onyejemechimere:
There are words we use in almost our day to day activities, words we pronounce wrongly everyday, without Knowing we are.

Using the word “Sachet” as an example, we pronounced it “Sah-chet” While the correct oral pronunciations should be “Sa-shay.”

Here are a few correct pronunciations to guide us:

1. Vegetable

2. Divorce

3. Vehicle

4. Often

5. Sachet

6. Résumé

7. Chaos

8. Data

Did you just learn some new tips, Well that try to is what we all should do everyday to be more smarter for a smarter Nigeria

http://otownloaded.com/8-words-pronounce-wrongly-everyday-everyone-guilty-no-5/

Image Credits : Pundit Cafe

help me pronounce ''SCHEDULE''
Re: 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 by samsam2019: 9:58pm On Dec 13, 2016
I was trying to correct one mumu girl at university of Ibadan that it's dayta and not dartar she got bent out of shape lol
Re: 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 by Nobody: 10:07pm On Dec 13, 2016
prettyjo:
cool,I know most of d pronunciation except for that of vegetable
How do you pronounce: assume?
Re: 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 by Nobody: 10:18pm On Dec 13, 2016
zayhal:
Nice ones.

I couldn't read through all the replies, hope someone has pointed out to the OP to refrain from using double comparative.

Say...smarter... NOT ...more smarter...

We keep learning everyday...
Separate every and day: We keep learning every day. You have them as a word when it is an adj: walking is my everyday thing.
Re: 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 by demolaxl(m): 11:54pm On Dec 13, 2016
Re: 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 by AreaFada2: 12:55am On Dec 14, 2016
nextprince:

Haha, predictive texting converting English to England? grin grin grin. Both are English words bro and the moment u type Eng, both will be provided as options.

Thanks professor.

I do not know the difference between country and the language. It that makes you feel good about yourself. John speaks England and he lives in English. Ego must be the size of adult elephant now. cheesy grin grin grin grin

My point remains same. Oral "England" is poor in Nigeria. Far below the level of 1940s to 60s. It wasn't and isn't about written language.

Good luck to you anyway.
Re: 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 by Odinz(m): 1:12am On Dec 14, 2016
Nice post at OP

I guess I haven't really paid attention to the correct pronunciation of these words though I will try to from now.
Re: 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 by Realjerome200: 7:13am On Dec 14, 2016
This is one of the reasons why nairaland remain the best. Men with great ideas stay with nairaland. Kudos
Re: 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 by Nobody: 8:48am On Dec 14, 2016
Nice one!
Re: 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 by Donvictor75(m): 9:12am On Dec 14, 2016
this is good bro.... most of us always fall victim of this

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 by jericco1(m): 9:13am On Dec 14, 2016
I don't think I pronounce any incorrectly
Re: 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 by Kowor(f): 2:23pm On Dec 14, 2016
jaybillionaire:
And av u checked d vegetable in d dico That's how she will be doin upandan angry since secondary school, so u avnt changed
Oga from wer u no me?
Re: 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 by Nobody: 3:30pm On Dec 14, 2016
I won't tell my name angry can only describe myself to u, but sth u did back them to me, very painful hmm I always remember
Kowor:

Oga from wer u no me?
Re: 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 by Kowor(f): 4:47pm On Dec 14, 2016
jaybillionaire:
I won't tell my name angry can only describe myself to u, but sth u did back them to me, very painful hmm I always remember
Re: 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 by Getintouch2004(m): 10:47pm On Dec 14, 2016
AlphaPegasi:
igbo boys are the worst offenders. those niggas cant pronounce nothing to save their life. lolzz. igbo boy say CHASTE instead of CHEST

You are a killer gringringrin
Re: 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 by Nobody: 4:24pm On Feb 18, 2017
Lemme start practicing pronouncing them in the right way

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Who Can Remember This Pic / ASUU Members Disrupt Lecture At UNIBEN (Pictures) / Can Jamb Mistakenly Send Someone What's Not His Score?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.