Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,460 members, 7,781,322 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:28 PM

How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? (3722 Views)

Meet The 4month Old Baby That Can ‘fly’ [PICS] / My Landlord Has Taken Over My Wife....... Husband cries out / The Ugandan Baby That Was Brutalised By House Maid Finally Died!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by lovelynk(f): 10:18pm On Nov 13, 2009
Hi all,
I was wondering.

i have a six month old and she cries my head off most of the time.the thing irritates me so much and sometimes i really feel like i shld give a good beating.
Besides,the stress is just so much.Imagine six months after having a baby and my whole body still aches as when i was i just put to bed.

moms in the house,do u have a clue?How do i deal with this incessant cries?
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by Fhemmmy: 10:19pm On Nov 13, 2009
Give the baby breast
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by lovelynk(f): 10:28pm On Nov 13, 2009
ahh Fhemmy,u no be mom naw or are u?

Anyway,i dont think the problem is hunger.I feed her well.I make sure she is full at all times so it cant be hunger.Sometimes the cries start immediately after a feeding.how can it be hunger then.
I guess she just wants to be lapped all the time wc is not possible.If i shld be doing that i guess i would have a stoop very soon.
I am still too young for that
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by ubiaa5(f): 10:35pm On Nov 13, 2009
has she been dat way from birth,most babies teeth between 4-7mth,so check n see if her teeth is coming if it isnt out already,in the mean time get her some soft chewy teething toys cos her gum might be itching gdluck.
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by MrCrackles(m): 11:18pm On Nov 13, 2009
Welcome to the real world. . . . grin
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by lovelynk(f): 11:21pm On Nov 13, 2009
ubiaa5:

has she been dat way from birth,most babies teeth between 4-7mth,so check n see if her teeth is coming if it isnt out already,in the mean time get her some soft chewy teething toys cos her gum might be itching gdluck.

Yeah,she has always been acryer from the beginning.I tot then she will gorw out of but it is just getting worse by the day.
I ve got loads of toys but none seems to interest her.I guess mommy and daddy are her favorite toys.no matter how colourful and intresting the toys seem to be,she is always looking out for mum and dada and if none carries her the cries start.
I  guess it is just a case of some babies being more fussy than others and i want to know if there is any approach in dealing wt such babies,

some folks have advised me to let her cry on wn she starts cos she will soon get to understand that  no body will pick her up and stop it. is that right?
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by busybody20: 11:53pm On Nov 13, 2009
Babies communicate by crying if they are hungry, cold, thirsty, bored, looking for a cuddle, Colic, teething, or for no reason whatsoever.

As a new parent it could be difficult trying to understand what your baby needs, i will suggest you feed or change her pampers or give a little cuddle to show her some love grin . (avoid cuddling her too much, because she will get used it!) .

Try playing music or put the tv on for her to watch. Thats what i do for mine and it works.

Dont stress yourself too much.
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by busybody20: 12:00am On Nov 14, 2009
MrCrackles:

Welcome to the real world. . . . grin

Wetin u sabi?

Being a Mother is hard work u know!

Fhemmmy:

Give the baby breast

Haahahhahahhahahha Fhemmy! grin grin grin Na wa for u o
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by MrCrackles(m): 12:23am On Nov 14, 2009
busybody20:

Wetin u sabi?
Being a Mother is hard work u know
What do you mean by what do i know. . . . . tongue
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by 0hsisi: 12:27am On Nov 14, 2009
a little bit of odeku grin

Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by Fhemmmy: 1:09am On Nov 14, 2009
0hsisi:

a little bit of odeku grin

i guess this could work too.
busybody20:

Being a Mother is hard work u know!
Haahahhahahhahahha Fhemmy! grin grin grin Na wa for u o

I am just trying to be of help now, haba
lovelynk:

ahh Fhemmy,u no be mom naw or are u?

Anyway,i dont think the problem is hunger.I feed her well.I make sure she is full at all times so it cant be hunger.Sometimes the cries start immediately after a feeding.how can it be hunger then.
I guess she just wants to be lapped all the time wc is not possible.If i shld be doing that i guess i would have a stoop very soon.
I am still too young for that

Common, if you put breast in her mouth at all times, it means the mouth will be busy and wont be able to cry now.
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by Nobody: 8:39am On Nov 14, 2009
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by Fhemmmy: 2:36pm On Nov 14, 2009
chaircover:

See men and double standards! [size=18pt]Femi if the breast is in the babies mouth 24/7 you men will be the first to complain that your wife no longer has time for you  cool[/size]

@poster, Busybody has offered good advise. Try that and see if it works;  also check that she is not crying because she is in some sort of pain.

If all else fails, then go and buy a dummy, pacifier or whatever they are called these days.

hahahaha . . . i will only complain if the baby occupied both breast at same time, and i am sure na only one mouth the baby get, so i will take care of the other one, and there wont be any complain, God knows what He was going when he gave woman 2. grin grin grin
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Nov 14, 2009
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by chika98: 7:56pm On Nov 14, 2009
Maybe the baby has Colic?
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by dominique(f): 8:13pm On Nov 14, 2009
chaircover:

omo ita  grin

God will bless you with twins Amen

a big ameeeeeen to that!!! grin grin
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by busybody20: 10:34pm On Nov 14, 2009
chaircover:

omo ita grin

Twins ke?

When triplets dey! Na Triplets Fhemmy go get grin grin grin

I guess na 3 breasts dem go suck na! grin grin grin
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by Fhemmmy: 11:02pm On Nov 14, 2009
busybody20:

Twins ke?

When triplets dey! Na Triplets Fhemmy go get grin grin grin

I guess na 3 breasts dem go suck na! grin grin grin

If i get triplets, i will make sure that the nannies are satified to breastfeed the kids, cos i must suck dem nipples of my woman.
dominique:

a big ameeeeeen to that!!! grin grin

Na lie, it wont work, if i get twin, na nanny go breastfeed them, cos they will only suck my woman for max 4 weeks. grin grin
chaircover:

omo ita  grin

No wahala, i will hire nanny with milk factory . . . will not let any baby over suck dem nice breast of my woman . . . God forbid bad thing
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by lovelynk(f): 5:46am On Nov 15, 2009
lovelynk:

Yeah,she has always been acryer from the beginning.I tot then she will gorw out of but it is just getting worse by the day.
I ve got loads of toys but none seems to interest her.I guess mommy and daddy are her favorite toys.no matter how colourful and intresting the toys seem to be,she is always looking out for mum and dada and if none carries her the cries start.
I guess it is just a case of some babies being more fussy than others and i want to know if there is any approach in dealing wt such babies,

some folks have advised me to let her cry on wn she starts cos she will soon get to understand that no body will pick her up and stop it. is that right?

busybody20:

Babies communicate by crying if they are hungry, cold, thirsty, bored, looking for a cuddle, Colic, teething, or for no reason whatsoever.

As a new parent it could be difficult trying to understand what your baby needs, i will suggest you feed or change her pampers or give a little cuddle to show her some love grin . (avoid cuddling her too much, because she will get used it!) .

Try playing music or put the tv on for her to watch. Thats what i do for mine and it works.

Dont stress yourself too much.

Thanks busy body.Am trying all these.Though i must say it is neva a cae of hunger or any of those things.the fact is i make sure she is full and u'd neva catch her with a wet or soiled diaper except i was not aware.I guess where i am missing it is that perhaps we started off cuddling her so much and now she is so used to it.The is that with television,toys and all that she is always looking at me and reaching so i carry her and failure to do so sparks off the cries.
I have tot of the pacifier but i hate it,in fact i detest it.
chika98:

Maybe the baby has Colic?

wats colic?
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by Fhemmmy: 5:54am On Nov 15, 2009
Buy her a big teddy bear and let her play with.
Or try and sleep while she is sleeping, so that you will be aight to just hug her when she is up and she wont be cryiing too much, cos i heard too much crying is is not good for babies, and for the fact that they cant tell you when they have headache is scary.
good luck
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by lovelynk(f): 6:26am On Nov 15, 2009
fhemmy,seems u r monitoring all the threads in the family section today.

Anyway,thanks a lot.i will get the big teddy tomorrow
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by Fhemmmy: 6:28am On Nov 15, 2009
one of those days, that i just wanna have fun, no going out today . . . . so i am the cop around here.
I am the wetin u carry for here today.
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by SeanT21(f): 6:55am On Nov 15, 2009
U wanna give a 6 months old a beating. shocked
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by lovelynk(f): 7:02am On Nov 15, 2009
no mind me.Dont take it literally.i wont try it any way
but seriously the cries are so annoying and sometimes i almost get frustrated after trying so much to no avail.

Fhemmy make u have ur fun,ok.
i dey go sleep.pikin dey sleep now so mak i join as i don know wetin she go demand wn she wakes up.She is som kind of oga at the moment
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by SeanT21(f): 7:06am On Nov 15, 2009
lovelynk:

no mind me.Dont take it literally.i wont try it any way
but seriously the cries are so annoying and sometimes i almost get frustrated after trying so much to no avail.

Fhemmy make u have your fun,ok.
i dey go sleep.pikin dey sleep now so mak i join as i don know wetin she go demand wn she wakes up.She is som kind of oga at the moment

WELCOME TO MOTHERHOOD. cheesy
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by ima1(f): 7:57am On Nov 15, 2009
Does she have an infection, or is she toothing
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by No2Atheism(m): 4:05pm On Nov 15, 2009
0hsisi:

a little bit of  odeku  grin

@osisi

Someone suppose report you to your husand . . . lipsrsealed
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by busybody20: 7:20pm On Nov 15, 2009
lovelynk:

I have tot of the pacifier but i hate it,in fact i detest it.
wats colic?

Dont use pacifier, it aint cool. I never used it for mine

Definition of Colic which i lifted from a website

Colic is a condition where there are repeated bouts of excessive crying in a baby who is otherwise healthy and thriving. Colic is common and distressing. However, it usually goes away by the age of 3-4 months. The cause of colic is not known. Ways that may help to ease colic in some cases, and some tips on how to cope, are given below.
.A typical baby with colic
Colic is common. A healthy new-born baby may have periods of crying. For no apparent reason he or she cries as if in pain. The usual methods of comforting do not work very well. He or she does not want to feed, and may pull up their knees. Sometimes the baby's abdomen (tummy) appears to 'rumble'. The cry may sound different and more piercing than normal. He or she may appear to be settling when suddenly another bout of crying occurs. This may go on and off for several hours until he or she settles and falls asleep.

The rest of the time he or she is fine. However, the bouts of colic occur regularly, commonly every evening, but can occur anytime. Bouts of colic gradually become less frequent, and have gone in most babies by the age of 3-4 months,

.Variations on a theme
In some babies, a period of restlessness in the evening may be all that you notice. In some babies with severe colic, the crying may go on for many hours throughout the day (and/or night). However, babies with colic are fine between bouts of colic. They feed well, grow well, and do not show any other signs of illness,

.What causes colic?
The cause is not known. There are many theories. There is some evidence that sensitivity to cow's milk may sometimes play a part. The term 'colic' is used as it is thought the baby has pain in the abdomen (tummy). This may be so, but the cause of the pain is not clear. There is no test for colic, and there is nothing abnormal to find if a doctor examines the baby. Some parents feel that they have done something wrong in some way. This is not so,

.Helping colicky babies and their parents
There is no treatment that cures colic. Every parent has their own way of coping and may find different things helpful. Try not to despair. You have to remember that there is nothing that you have done to cause the colic, and that colic usually goes away by 3-4 months of age, often much sooner. One or more of the following may help.

.Reducing anxiety
Even new-born babies may sense anxiety. This can make things worse. Try to create a relaxed atmosphere. If possible, have a rest and meal before the colic begins (usually in the evening). The more rested and relaxed you are, the better you will be able to cope,

.Soothing
It is natural to try and soothe a crying baby. Holding a baby through the crying episode may help to soothe. However, a colicky baby may simply not be comforted or soothed. At such times it is acceptable to leave a baby to cry for short periods if you are satisfied that he or she is not hungry, too cold, too hot, wet, or unwell. Remember - never shake a baby. If you need a break from the crying, or if you feel at the end of your tether, gently place the baby in his or her cot and leave the room for around 10 minutes. You could then do something which will help you - perhaps have a cup of tea, a snack or phone a friend,

.Time-out
Friends or other family members may be willing to help. However, try to avoid several people fussing at once as this may cause anxiety. It may be sensible to leave the coping to one person at a time. Take it in turns if you have help. If possible, it is good to have 'time-out' and leave someone else to look after your baby for a few hours.

If you have a partner it can be worth taking it in turns to do the 'night shift'. Many mums, even with partners, always try to do the nights themselves. This can be exhausting. It may be sensible to take it in turns to get a good nights sleep. If you are breastfeeding, you may be able to express enough milk in the day for a feed to be given in the night by your partner,

.Stopping cow's milk and other foods
A sensitivity to cow's milk or to other foods is one theory for colic. Studies have shown that some babies cry less if cow's milk is stopped. This does not occur in most babies with colic. However, if colic is severe it may be worth trying a 'hypoallergenic' diet for one week,

•If the baby is breastfed, this means mum having no milk or other dairy products as part of the cow's milk can get into breast milk. Also, no eggs, wheat, or nuts.
•If the baby is bottle fed, this means changing from a formula based on cow's milk to a 'hypoallergenic' formula. A pharmacist or health visitor will be able to advise on a suitable milk formula.
After changing the diet for one week:.

•If there is an improvement then continue as above until the baby is three months old. By this time the colic is likely to have settled. You can then resume a normal diet for baby (and mum if breastfeeding).
•If there is no improvement after one week, there is no point continuing. Just go back to a normal diet for baby (and mum if breastfeeding).
.Lactose intolerance
Another theory is that lactose (a sugar in milk) causes or aggravates colic in some babies. If colic is severe, your doctor or health visitor may advise a trial of giving lactase drops to your baby for a week. Lactase is an enzyme (chemical) which breaks down lactose in the gut. If there is an improvement then continue until the baby is about three months old.

There are also lactose-free formula feeds which have previously been advised. However, there are theoretical reasons why a lactose-free formula may not be so good in the longer term. (The reason being that because lactase is an enzyme that is made in the gut, for the best development of the cells that make lactase it may require the presence of some lactose in gut.).

.What about medicines and soya milk formulas?
Gripe water, simethicone drops and Infacol are given to colicky babies by some parents. However, there is little research evidence that they work. Also, it used to be popular to try soya milk formulas. However, there is concern that soya milk may cause delayed side-effects, so it is not usually suitable for treating colic,

.Popular but non-proven advice
The following tips are often given. However, the advice is based on individual experiences and no research studies have proven that they help. So, they may or may not help,

.Noise
Some people say that 'white noise' helps to soothe colicky babies. White noise is background, non-specific noise such as made by vacuum cleaners, washing machines, etc. You can even buy CDs of white noise which claim to soothe crying babies. There is lack of research that proves that this works in most babies, but it may be worth a try.

.Rides and carrying
Crying babies may settle on car journeys. It is possibly the white noise of the car engine and the gentle movements of the car that do the trick. Pram rides seem good too - it may be the movement that helps to soothe some babies. Or, simply walking with the baby in a sling or baby carrier may help to soothe,

.If you are breastfeeding
Some foods can get into breast milk. It is difficult to prove if colic is made worse by foods eaten by the mother. Some women say that their baby's colic is worse if they eat garlic or spices. Some women say that stopping caffeine improves the situation. Caffeine is found in tea, coffee, and cola. It is also added to some painkillers such as Solpadeine.

If you suspect a food, drink, or medicine is making colic worse, try going without it for a week. It is unlikely to be a cause of colic if there is no improvement within a week.

.Complementary and alternative remedies
Many alternative therapies are promoted and advertised for colic. None have been proved to be effective with research studies, and they may be expensive. Note: not all alternative therapies are without risk. For example, some herbal products such as star anise have caused serious reactions in some babies, and are not recommended,

.Your feelings
Sometimes parents become angry, tearful, or resentful towards a baby with colic. These are normal and common emotions. The crying can seem intolerable and very frustrating. If you are finding it hard to cope then do see your health visitor or doctor
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by coolier(f): 9:55pm On Nov 15, 2009
Because babies can't talk, crying and yelling at the top of their voice is the only way they know to express their feelings. If you think you've done everything and your baby still cries I'll suggest you go see your paediatrician.
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by 0hsisi: 10:37pm On Nov 15, 2009
No2Atheism:

@osisi

Someone suppose report you to your husand . . . lipsrsealed

How do you think market women keep those babies sleeping while they are selling their things?
Do you think everything in that feeding bottle is akamu and similac ?
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by Fhemmmy: 12:28am On Nov 16, 2009
Hope with all our advice, the baby is doing more playing than crying now.
Re: How Do U Deal With A Baby That Cries A Lot? by Outstrip(f): 2:00am On Nov 16, 2009
Could your baby be teething? Please do not spank a 6 month old and if the crying gets overwhelming rather than stay there and think how frustrating it is you should leave the baby in the crib and close the door. Crying will not kill her. Wait about 10 minutes before you go back in there. As long as you know she is not hungry, wet or in pain. When you are stressed your baby knows. Sometimes and this is usually with first time moms we teach our babies bad habits. Like running and picking them up when they cry. Sometimes crying becomes a way for them to just get you to move. Even when she cries at night wait a few minutes before you go to her. It will be hard at first but I think in the long run it will improve things for the both of you

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sigh! / After 49 Years,Mother Reunites With The Daughter She Thought Died At Birth(PICS) / Pls Advice I Love My Wife But Something Is Happening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.