Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,353 members, 7,808,235 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:12 AM

Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean (47774 Views)

'Dinosaur Of Turtle World': Monster-Sized Snapping Turtle Found In Florida (Pix) / 'Albino Turtle': Yellow Turtle In India (Photos) / Leatherback Sea Turtle Caught In Bayelsa - Foropa Kingdom Island (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by onatisi(m): 6:53pm On Dec 13, 2016
I think we that know the value of these endangered animals need to setup a NGO to raise awareness about their protection
Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by absoluteSuccess: 6:54pm On Dec 13, 2016
Goodbye to the tot.

This is not a good omen though,

This may be the same way mmm will go.

The ' second coming' of mmm is nigh
Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by Obito555(m): 6:57pm On Dec 13, 2016
Then its unfair when the fishes are still killed n eaten, they must be returned back to the river too, u never kw maybe their is recession in the ocean that was y the turtle came out.

2 Likes

Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by madjune(m): 6:57pm On Dec 13, 2016
Adebiyi, pls run for Senate.

We need people like you to take Nigeria out of the ocean.

1 Like

Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by sundilazo(m): 6:57pm On Dec 13, 2016
30k just go like dat 4 ordinary sea turtle...hmmmm,
Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by ngolokante(m): 6:58pm On Dec 13, 2016
Onegai:
Stvpid selfish greed. No thought other than today and its worries, thoughtless about the future.

Dats why most of them flock to ponzi schemes like MMM
Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by frubben(m): 6:58pm On Dec 13, 2016
Oh lord why dis cotree. Why me!!!!!!

America zoo is even more organize than the stupid cotree
Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by AkinPhysicist: 6:59pm On Dec 13, 2016
cool Great gesture - well done sir cool
Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by BuyGoats: 7:00pm On Dec 13, 2016
holluwai:

Nice signature Mr goat. grin

Thanks. I'll take that for a compliment

2 Likes

Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by Qabt(m): 7:01pm On Dec 13, 2016
I registered under BY mafit to write the toefl test, the result is out now, how can I check it?
Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by donsteady(m): 7:03pm On Dec 13, 2016
Thank God we still have humans in Lagos
Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by LegendaryArnold(m): 7:05pm On Dec 13, 2016
This tortoise is huge
Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by MrCork: 7:12pm On Dec 13, 2016
TheGreenDay:
It was a mild drama on Sunday, the 11th December as a marine turtle was caught by the local fishermen at the 'Point Of No Return', a popular tourist attraction beach in Badagry, Lagos. The turtle was then sold to female handlers who loaded huddled onto motorcycle for onward transportation to a fish market in the town an have it sold for consumption.
Seeing how much this beautiful Olive Ridley turtle "meat" (as it's been referred to by the locals) had suffered in the hands of the handlers and subsequently sold as delicacy.
@metropolexpress publisher, Segun Adebiyi who was at the scene of the event pleaded that the reptile be released to it natural habitat, Adebiyi explained the need to preserve these special creatures to prevent their extinction. After much negotiation pleading and bargaining, Adebiyi paid N25,000 to have the creature returned to the ocean.
But the fishermen insisted in catching the turtle again immediately after it's released to the ocean it had been brought, it then belong to them again, to which the purpose of buying the special specie would have been defeated.
Realizing the fishermen were not ready to shift ground, the turtle had to be transported in a car to another nearby Sultan beach, there another drama erupted as the beach boys and the community boys prevented Adebiyi and his team from releasing the turtle into the ocean.
Again, N5,000 was given to the boys before the creature was allowed to return back home where it belongs. The most rewarding moment was to see turtle as it swam back to the ocean.
Sea turtles are generally found in the waters over continental shelves. During the first three to five years of life, sea turtles spend most of their time in the pelagic zone floating in seaweed mats.
Green sea turtles in particular are often found in Sargassum mats,in which they find shelter and food. Once the sea turtle has reached adulthood it moves closer to the shore. Females will come ashore to lay their eggs on sandy beaches during the nesting season.
Human activities have tipped the scales against the survival of these ancient mariners. Nearly all species of sea turtle are classified as Endangered. Slaughtered for their eggs, meat, skin and shells, sea turtles suffer from poaching and over-exploitation.
They also face habitat destruction and accidental capture in fishing gear. Climate change has an impact on turtle nesting sites.
It alters sand temperatures, which then affects the sex of hatchlings.

http://metropolexpress.com/news/item/7942-publisher

Click here for video footage
https://www.facebook.com/pg/MPX-metropolexpress-572090869501844/videos/

..nice one to you home base people.....we Londoners so glad you din't eat it (no oofense) smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by Edenoscar(m): 7:12pm On Dec 13, 2016
onatisi:
I think we that know the value of these endangered animals need to setup a NGO to raise awareness about their protection

The Endangered Species Act (USA) of 1973 (ESA) protects registered endangered species by removing them from the “take” list, which makes it unlawful for a person to shoot, harm, capture, trap, or attempt any such actions to the species.
Thats the kind of law we need
Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by sunshineV(f): 7:13pm On Dec 13, 2016
nNEOo:
Wonderful.....I have a pet snail his name is snaneo
e dey respond to that stupid name?
Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by ummufeed(f): 7:14pm On Dec 13, 2016
He really has a kind heart. Some people fail to realise that kindness is a virtue, to animals or fellow human being

1 Like

Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by nubianwarrior: 7:15pm On Dec 13, 2016
Why are black people always on the back foot.
Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by tosyne2much(m): 7:15pm On Dec 13, 2016
25k just for tortoise?
Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by adebayosun02: 7:15pm On Dec 13, 2016
Good development
Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by Icecream4U(m): 7:17pm On Dec 13, 2016
Oboy! See meat
Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by don4real18(m): 7:20pm On Dec 13, 2016
proof of 25k or __________
Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by holluwai(m): 7:22pm On Dec 13, 2016
BuyGoats:

Sure it is my brother.

1 Like

Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by nNEOo(m): 7:22pm On Dec 13, 2016
sunshineV:
e dey respond to that stupid name?

You d respond to that your stupid name undecided
Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by bejite: 7:23pm On Dec 13, 2016
recievesense:
nice
Good job. Thanks.
Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by Nobody: 7:24pm On Dec 13, 2016
Good move... Watch this hilarious marine video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJaE4APqnZ4
Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by nNEOo(m): 7:25pm On Dec 13, 2016
Ahmadgani:
nice one, but I think somehow someday it will still end up in a pot

Or die naturally in it habitats angry
Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by Adamadam: 7:28pm On Dec 13, 2016
ekojoe:
lovely...
Buhari is in Gambia
To educate them on negative change?
Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by FunkyMetahuman: 7:32pm On Dec 13, 2016
Nice one Mr adebiyi

Quite commendable.. In fact he deserves an award.

Why would any sane person want to eat this poor beautiful creature self.. Nigerians can eat anything. No wonder we have so many cannibals amongst us.
Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by zionmade(m): 7:34pm On Dec 13, 2016
BuyGoats:

my broda am proud of u for that reply. Thank u for inspiring me tonight.i will always be proud of watever i do

1 Like

Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by emmasege: 7:37pm On Dec 13, 2016
dominique:
The turtle should have been taken to institute of marine research. I don't trust those boys, they can still hunt it down and cook it. Nice gesture Mr Adebiyi
What will it be doing at the Institute? Except they are also going to re-introduce it to the wild like Mr. Adebiyi did. The wild is where it belongs and can perform all its physiological activities including replicating itself in an environment where everything (salinity, water chemistry, food resources etc) is within the optimal range for its physiology.
Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by ebab(m): 7:38pm On Dec 13, 2016
People try to visit Flexkoncept.com.ng
Re: Publisher Pays N25,000 To Have Caught Marine Turtle Returned To The Ocean by Aarenasbaba(m): 7:39pm On Dec 13, 2016
Nice idea by Mr Adebiyi.... it should have been taken to sohun palace in ogbomosho or any available museum

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fisherman Discovers Rare Nine-legged Octopus After He Boiled It For Dinner (pix) / DearMoon Mission: Meet The First Nigerian Man Going To The Moon / Man Shocked As Water Mysteriously Gushes Out From Suspended Kettle In Ogun (vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.