Stats: 3,143,199 members, 7,780,342 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:50 PM

Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest (28820 Views)

Isa Ali-Pantami Extends Deadline On Reduction Of Data Price / Nigeria Is Ready For 5G Says NCC / Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest. (2) (3) (4)

Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by ivandragon: 1:53am On Dec 14, 2016
The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has acted in national interest on the issue of data price increase, the Senate Committee on Communications has said.

The Committee, which visited the NCC headquarters in Abuja on Tuesday as part of it oversight functions, said Nigerians should see the commission as being on their side on the issue of data price increase.

Senator Solomon Olamilekan (Lagos West) who spoke on behalf of the committee members, said the NCC had taken some commendable steps to sanitize the telecom industry and the data price hike was one of them.

He noted the roles played by the leadership of the NCC under Professor Umar Danbatta, especially the commission’s handling of the MTN’s 1.04 trillion naira fine and the recent outcry over the planned increase on data tariff, saying the NCC did not disappoint Nigerians.

“Each time we invited the leadership of the agency to the National Assembly, they honoured our invitation and responded to our inquiries, particularly during the MTN issue, and of recent the data price floor. They have acted in national interests and Nigerians see NCC as being on their side” Olamikan, who is the vice chairman of the Senate Committee on Communications, said.

He urged the NCC to make details of its 2017 budget available on time to enable members go through and approve to avoid the delay occasioned by the 2016 budget.

He said the 8-point agenda unfolded by Professor Danbatta on assumption of office has turned around the telecom industry, urging him to build on the achievement in the years ahead.

However, while receiving members of the Committee, the Commission’s Executive Vice Chairman, Professor Danbatta, said unless the issues regarding the data price floor are resolved, it remains a whirlwind that would not do anybody any good.

Members of the Committee are Senator Gilbert Nnaji as Chairman, and Senator Adeola Olamilekan as Vice Chairman. Others are Senators Abu Ibrahim, Joshua Dariye, Eyinnaya Aberibe, Isa Misau and Abiodun Olujimi.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/senate-okays-data-price-hike-says-ncc-acted-in-national-interest/175850.html#kuj8MVXQQeLPtSx4.99

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by HungerBAD: 2:02am On Dec 14, 2016
Interesting.

Saraki is still the Senate President, and Aberibe and Dariye are in this committee,and you guys expect anything good?

This is a Bipartisan Agreement,reached by the Senators of both parties to fleece Nigerians dry by the Telecom industry.

Of course,after their foreign accounts have been duly compensated.

98 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by id911(m): 2:05am On Dec 14, 2016
Whatever this govt like they should do it cos I never expected any pro-masses policy from them. I can only feel pity for sai baba chanters who are now suffering and hungry like church rat

106 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by GeeOh(f): 2:18am On Dec 14, 2016
wicked and insensitive govt,see pple wey dey rep us

32 Likes

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by Nobody: 2:26am On Dec 14, 2016
There is always two side to a coin. NCC is trying to promote small Nigeria Telecomm companies and protect them from big ones like MTN,Airtel, Etisalat and Glo.

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by ALMUSTAQIM(m): 2:31am On Dec 14, 2016
THIS MUST BE A JOKE.
REVOLUTION MAY BE TRIGGERED
GOVT. SHOULD MAKE GOOD CORRECTION FAST FAST
GOD BLESS NIGERIA

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by Nobody: 2:32am On Dec 14, 2016
The problem with Nigeria remains bribing! Shikena!!!

This people(National Assembly) are not rated at all... sets of nonsense, insensitive and cold-hearted like assassin's. Smh

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by Nobody: 2:36am On Dec 14, 2016
Another round of smack down

electorate vs the elected that feeds fat on tax payers money

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by MadamExcellency: 2:41am On Dec 14, 2016
tuale4u:
There is always two side to a coin. NCC is trying to promote small Nigeria Telecomm companies and protect them from big ones like MTN,Airtel, Etisalat and Glo.

They should offer them subsidised licences to 3g plus 4g Networks instead of this anti-people and retrogressive exceptions to market economics.

The Nigeria Indigenous Oil Companies Bill was proposed to protect local firms, so tell me the wisdom in this evil data hike decree that will certainly stifle research, academics and social interactions in Nigeria?

66 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by BeeBeeOoh(m): 2:44am On Dec 14, 2016
Thank God we all are in it together.

This Buhari sef, he no dey even recognize zombies. He just dey kpekus them as if to sey dem be wailers..

Lmao

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by omowolewa: 2:54am On Dec 14, 2016
When some nations are working towards free wifi zones and information affordability! 3rd world Senators drawing us back to dinosauric era!!

At last! No data to view 'common sense' twitter handle again. No streaming videos again. No download of ebooks for now. Thank God N.land pages aren't that heavy.

Back to BBC radio and Newspaper reports.

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by swagagolic01(m): 2:56am On Dec 14, 2016
tuale4u:
with people like this around, Nigeria will keep sinking

90 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by modath(f): 2:58am On Dec 14, 2016
tuale4u:

I've always Tualed 4 U!! Pls let's keep it that way!! This your submission nor make am at all!! At all at all!! cool

We are known to copy US in everything!! When have you ever heard of FCC in America trying to snuff the lives out of the average Joes so the AT&Ts, Tmobile etc will stop "growing" exponentially so the likes of lycamobile, boss revolution can "catch up"!!!

This country!!! angry

P.S No one with a lick of sense is in dark about the sinators eagerness to see a reduction (if total stoppage is impossible)in the apako Nigerians nack them on the interweb!!!

Awon bunch of olosh!!! David Mark will be grinning somewhere!!

62 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by Emekamex(m): 3:45am On Dec 14, 2016
2017 will be interesting.

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by zinachidi(m): 3:54am On Dec 14, 2016
nawah o, after hailing them for that singular act of kindness to us, the thing don enter their head. undecided

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by alexiej(m): 3:56am On Dec 14, 2016
Don't they travel abroad to see how much data costs there? I luv what Soyinka said. Sometyms u feel ashamed to occupy the same national space as these people.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by ishowdotgmail(m): 4:12am On Dec 14, 2016
Pls help me moderators, I can't create a topic with this my account again. Is it that I have been banned or what?

I do post first class info before, kindly help a fellow plsssssss
Cc: lalasticlala seun
Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by Atiku2019: 4:43am On Dec 14, 2016
Senator Solomon Olamilekan (Lagos West) who spoke on behalf of the committee members, said the NCC had taken some commendable steps to sanitize the telecom industry and the data price hike was one of them.

Well 2019, we'll surely correct so many erroneous mistakes

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by Nancydearie(f): 5:09am On Dec 14, 2016
May God help us all in this countryl, what sort of government is this? They dont even care about the masses.

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by muri4mig(m): 5:17am On Dec 14, 2016
MadamExcellency:

They should offer them subsidised licences to 3g plus 4g Networks instead of this anti-people and retrogressive exceptions to market economics.

The Nigeria Indigenous Oil Companies Bill was proposed to protect local firms, so tell me the wisdom in this evil data hike decree that will certainly stifle research, academics and social
interactions in Nigeria?
Either you are not in the know about the development as it regard to the saga or you are simply mischievous. The NCC is weighing in on the dispute in the sector where their is price war by the big firms. Just emerging the kind of service provided by glo in terms of speed and connectivity at 21k/MB. Let the price be given, let the quality of the service determine which provider to chose from to allow for fairness. The smiles, spectranet are still coming up, we should not kill them. If we allow them to die, glo and mtn will jack up their prices to maybe 120k/mb
Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by FunkyMetahuman: 5:25am On Dec 14, 2016
tuale4u:
at the expense of 170million people right...

What a foolish senseless insensitive government.

29 Likes

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by FunkyMetahuman: 5:30am On Dec 14, 2016
Buhari and APC government are one of the biggest mistake I made in my life..

Just bunch of useless lowlifes without iota of human feelings running the government

2019 is just way to long to chase these bastards out.. Jeesss angry

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by odogwubiafra: 5:52am On Dec 14, 2016
Telecom operator short-changes a customer, same NCC will fine them and the money goes into their coffers. Why won't their anti-people policy get approved.

Stupid representatives everywhere you go!

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by wristbangle: 6:14am On Dec 14, 2016
Like I often say, NCC has no right to regulate the price of data and voice at minimum, rather at max. Anyway it seems the senate body has finally accepted bribe from some crooks who owned or head these small telecom operators in order not to fizz out from business hence they singing the same song. Who bears their ineptitude at the end - (still the poor masses)

Ofcourse I expect every Nigerians; zombies or wailers to unite and fight against this course till they give-in to consumers (our) plight.

We cannot pay for their clueless strategies as they have never been innovative to stay aloft in the market competition. It's either they merge, close their business or leave the country, as simple as ABC.

It's really shameful that these foolish and dolt people are speaking of data price increase when other countries are thinking to providing it free for the public.

Goodmorning lalasticlala

27 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by nely(m): 6:29am On Dec 14, 2016
They don't care about us..The great Michael Jackson sang about this

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by pillarmaria(m): 6:32am On Dec 14, 2016
I just came here to say that I AM TIRED OF NIGERIA!!

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by pillarmaria(m): 6:33am On Dec 14, 2016
Everyday we must get a news that makes us feel bad.

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by sanandreas(m): 6:46am On Dec 14, 2016
Why why why. They should remember that these mast are unsecured and close to the inhabitants they want to punish

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by malton: 7:01am On Dec 14, 2016
When the Senate talks in this manner, there's no ruling out that money has exchanged hands.

First, I used to believe that the proposed increment was intended to prevent predatory prices as purported.

But the bigwigs threatening bad network services made me realize that it's all a facade to conceal something far more sinister.

The NCC is obviously pushing the agenda of telecom operators in the pretext of protecting the interest of a select few.

Etisalat reviewing their data prices long before the policy was proposed supports this claim. I feel the recession has done them shege and they needed to recoup some money but fear the backlash that would trail their rice increase.

Otherwise, why would a network provider like MTN that was first to send out what I termed "protest texts" to customers be the first to kick when the proposed move was halted? Why didn't the small fries bother as much?

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by teekay213(m): 7:51am On Dec 14, 2016
God punish all of them.

Re: Senate Okays Data Price Hike, Says NCC Acted In National Interest by Ekpekus(m): 7:53am On Dec 14, 2016
Ayam not understanding this kind 'chameleon' policy gymnastics o.
Make one policy today, change it tomorrow and make another a day after

2go Chatting On The Mobile Web / Why You Should Always Have Airtime On Your Phone / Unboxing Gionee A1 Lite - N70,000 Phone With 20mp Camera And 4000mah? (pics)