Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,262 members, 7,807,904 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:13 PM

Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker (4666 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen Kill DELSU Staff And A Farmer / Saraki Appoints Chief Of Staff And Media Adviser / Ibori, Others To Complete Jail Terms In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by mikesleek(m): 9:43am On Nov 14, 2009
The University of Benin has begun a new search for another speaker for its convocation lecture after the Acting Vice Chancellor was overwhelmed by protests from staff, students and alumni after Saharareporters exposed his plan to give the honour to the embattled former Delta State Governor James Ibori.

In anticipation of victory by the Federal High Court in Asaba to quash money-laundering charges against the former governor, Professor Emmanuel Kubeyinje, an Itsekiri from Delta State, had been contacted to help provide a platform for Ibori to relaunch himself. The Delta State government was also backing lavish parties to be held in celebration of Ibori's "victory."

Several petitions by civil society groups however forced the troubled Federal High Court judge in Asaba, Marcel Awokulehin, to postpone his ruling.  Saharareporters had reported that the judgment would be favorable to Ibori.   Awokulehin disappointed James bori and his throng of supporters when he refused to give the judgement that would have quashed the 170-count charge of graft, money laundering and abuse of office proffered against Ibori at the court, which had been created specifically for Ibori.

Working with the recently retired Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Ibori had successfully chosen Awokulehin and the EFCC prosecutor, Ibrahim Isyaku (SAN) to "prosecute" him at the Federal High Court in Asaba in a building purchased and “donated” to the Federal High Court by the Delta State government.

The court building, which is in the residential area of the GRA in Asaba, ought to have been located in Warri. The Delta state government bought the building from a former Ibori special assistant and current Commissioner for Land and Surveys in the state, Barrister Raymond Guana.  Most officials of the current Delta State cabinet, including the governor, Emmanuel Uduaghan and his deputy, Professor Utuama were indicted in the 170-count charge being tried by the Asaba judge.

In the University of Benin's search for a new speaker, the institution has now reached out to the former governor of Edo state, Oyegun and the Lagos state governor, Babatunde Fashola.

Ibori graduated from the University of Benin in 1986 with a third class in Economics and Statistics. His academic records were destroyed in a mysterious fire that gutted the records office in UNIBEN in the late 1990s.

Analysts say Professor Kubeyinje's reputation may have taken a serious hit, as he should have been more discerning in his consideration of the discredited and indicted ex-convict, who has become a byword for corruption and official looting in Nigeria, as the respected institution's convocation speaker.

Source
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by Nigerd(m): 9:48am On Nov 14, 2009
May the prof self don collect from the loot, Iborigate
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by MrCrackles(m): 9:57am On Nov 14, 2009
It stinks to even mention the name of Ibori around. .
How can a thieving illiterate merit the distinguished role of a convocation speaker angry
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by DeepSoul(f): 10:26am On Nov 14, 2009
It's sad that even the professors are now part of the mess. It's bitter-sweet. I'm really glad to know that the students and staff actually have a voice that can be heard and can stand for what they believe in. Kudos to them!
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by SapeleGuy: 10:42am On Nov 14, 2009
Deep Soul:

It's sad that even the professors are now part of the mess. It's bitter-sweet. I'm really glad to know that the students and staff actually have a voice that can be heard and can stand for what they believe in. Kudos to them!

The professors and lecturers have always been part of the mess and are equally, if not more corrupt. These are the same people who will give a student first class honours for sleeping with them and fail or give another third class for not bribing them.

It is a good start by the students. Who knows maybe cultism or corrupt lecturers will be next.
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by DeepSoul(f): 10:45am On Nov 14, 2009
Yes I know the students and staff are as corrupt. . . but this is a good start. Could be the beginning of change, who knows? undecided

I'm free to dream of change in Nigeria, it's free afterall!
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by SapeleGuy: 10:55am On Nov 14, 2009
I agree. The change is coming.
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by Nobody: 11:25am On Nov 14, 2009
Very encouraging
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by mikesleek(m): 1:07pm On Nov 14, 2009
Deep Soul:

Yes I know the students and staff are as corrupt. . . but this is a good start. Could be the beginning of change, who knows? undecided

I'm free to dream of change in Nigeria, it's free afterall!

I bet the change is for real. From the Bode George case to Ibori's and Andy Uba, sanity is comming in gradually into our system.
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by Nobody: 1:30pm On Nov 14, 2009
Way to go, UNIBEN students. Bravo!

Hope all Nigerian students will also have the same courage to stand up against cultism and other vices in our universities.
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by citizenY(m): 1:32pm On Nov 14, 2009
Three Gosa for these guys. We should chase these crooks away from any public space.
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by mikesleek(m): 4:11pm On Nov 14, 2009
Honestly, i love those UNIBEN students! that is what the university community used to be like earlier.
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by rasputinn(m): 10:02pm On Nov 15, 2009
What does he intend to go and speak about
How to be a common thief and grow to become looter of state treasury??
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by aieromon(m): 12:14pm On Nov 16, 2009
MrCrackles:

It stinks to even mention the name of Ibori around. .
How can a thieving illiterate merit the distinguished role of a convocation speaker angry

He's a thieving literate as his 3rd class degree in Economics speaks for him.They berra give it to a distinquished alumnus like Fashola.
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by yinka85: 12:22pm On Nov 16, 2009
Thumps up lads!.
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by Nobody: 12:36pm On Nov 16, 2009
greatest UNIBEN
greeeaaatttt!!!1
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by puffpuff: 12:47pm On Nov 16, 2009
What is our once respected Ivory Towers turning to?
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by Nobody: 12:53pm On Nov 16, 2009
it makes no sense to me.
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by DOAweb(m): 12:57pm On Nov 16, 2009
toba:

Very encouraging

smiley

Absolutely Concur!!
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by luv2talk(m): 1:25pm On Nov 16, 2009
thats a Nice move, i think Fashola deserves the accolade of being a speaker being an Alumni of the institution
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by erico2k2(m): 1:40pm On Nov 16, 2009
Why are you lot decieving urselves, is Ibori the worse thief in the Land ?
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by MUNEER2(m): 2:05pm On Nov 16, 2009
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

erico2k2:

Why are you lot decieving urselves, is Ibori the worse thief in the Land ?

So, we'll wait until he becomes the worst thief before we criticize him, you need to check yourself! angry
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by erico2k2(m): 2:12pm On Nov 16, 2009
MUNEER2:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

So, we'll wait until he becomes the worst thief before we criticize him, you need to check yourself! angry

Ok fair anough, can you tell me what stole? by the way, so your own state govt never stole no money eh? and do you want me to start telling you what and all the good projects he did in Delta State?
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by beknown(m): 2:28pm On Nov 16, 2009
This is the type of humiliation that Nigerians should put on people like Ibori. If Nigerians put shame on Ibori and his cohorts in public, it will send a good message to him and his friends.

We do not need physical fight to get good result in eradicating corruption in Nigeria. Let us expose the shame of the fools who loot our money in Nigeria. Let us put shame on them.

No hiding place for thieves
No award for thieves
No respect for thieves
No chieftaincy title for thieves
No political position for thieves
No praise for thieves

This is the advantage of togetherness. Let us act together to eradicate corruption in our own country. Together, we can do it.
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by Nobody: 2:48pm On Nov 16, 2009
And what is he going to lecture on:about how he stole delta state money or what,,where's legacy is this country?
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by yeswecan(m): 2:54pm On Nov 16, 2009
What a shame, lesson to all
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by ayobase(m): 2:55pm On Nov 16, 2009
Ibori?
Whatever, I dont even know the man!
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by gerona: 3:31pm On Nov 16, 2009
@ericko2k2[b]Why are you lot decieving urselves, is Ibori the worse thief in the Land ?[/b]

I THINK U NEED YOUR BRAIN CHECKED. U MUST BE ONE OF THE CRONIES BENEFITTING FROM HIM. AT LEAST, THIS IS ONE THIEF DOWN.

@ IBORI - GO AND CONTINUE ENJOYING THE BILLIONS THAT YOU AND YOUR COHORTS STOLE AND LEAVE US ALONE.
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by texazzpete(m): 3:38pm On Nov 16, 2009
SapeleGuy:

The professors and lecturers have always been part of the mess and are equally, if not more corrupt. These are the same people who will give a student first class honours for sleeping with them and fail or give another third class for not bribing them.

Good job generalizing, you dolt! A large proportion of lecturers are decent people.
There's no way in hell anyone can get a first class through sleeping with lecturers. When i hear you people make these silly assertions i wonder what Uni you attended. Every 1st class award is vigorously scrutinised and challenged in Uniben.

On the flip side, it's almost impossible for a good student to get a third class for not bribing a lecturer.
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by airzzee(m): 3:38pm On Nov 16, 2009
What else is REVOLUTION? Does a revolution mean only shedding blood? If we begin to reject such thieves in our congregations, and refuse to venerate them, less and less people will lose interest in stealing. TO ME, THAT IS REVOLUTION.

CAN WE REPLICATE & REPRODUCE THIS UNIBEN EXAMPLE IN THE LARGER NIGERIA, BY REJECTING ROGUES, PEOPLE WITHOUT INTEGRITY etc? YES, WE CAN.

NIGERIANS MUST RISE TO RESTORE THE DIGNITY OF NIGERIA. AND THE TIME IN NOW!
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by Outstrip(f): 3:45pm On Nov 16, 2009
Relaunch Ibori? The day that happens in Nigeria I will give up on Nigeria
Re: Uniben Staff And Students Reject Ibori As Convocation Speaker by airzzee(m): 3:48pm On Nov 16, 2009
texazzpete:

Good job generalizing, you dolt! A large proportion of lecturers are decent people.
There's no way in hell anyone can get a first class through sleeping with lecturers. When i hear you people make these silly assertions i wonder what Uni you attended. Every 1st class award is vigorously scrutinised and challenged in Uniben.

On the flip side, it's almost impossible for a good student to get a third class for not bribing a lecturer.

MY BROTHER, DO NOT MIND HIM.

I DON'T THINK HE WENT TO THE UNIVERSITY BECAUSE THIS IS WHAT I HEAR ILLITERATES PARENTS SAY WHEN THEIR CHILDREN WHO FAIL GET GOOD GRADES FEED THEM WITH RUBBISH. I RESPECT PEOPLE THAT MAKE IT BECAUSE IT IS NOT EASY. NO MATTER THE COURSE, IT CANNOT ALSO BE OBTAINED BY SLEEPING WITH LECTURES. THE BEST A GIRL SLEEPING AROUND CAN MAKE IS A 2.2 (I DOUBT IF 2.1 SEF), BUT OBVIOUSLY NOT A FIRST CLASS.

THIS BRINGS ME TO ANOTHER BALDERDASH. IT BAFFLES ME WHEN WE CONDUCT INTERVIEWS AND I HEAR GIRLS SAY THEY GRADUATED WITH 3RD CLASS B/C THEY REFUSED TO SLEEP WITH LECTURES. I FEEL LIKE, OOO!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria 2015 Election Results Projections By University Of Oxford Analysts / What Did Buhari Achieve Infrastructurally As Head Of State? / Buhari The Yes-man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.