Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,781 members, 7,802,418 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

Personal Hygiene In America - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Personal Hygiene In America (1817 Views)

The Story Of Oyotunji, A Mini Yoruba Nation In America / Nigerian Woman Kneels Down For Ooni Of Ife In America During Interaction (Photo) / At A Crossroad- Should I Remain In America Or Come Back To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Personal Hygiene In America by Nobody: 12:34am On Dec 15, 2016
I am a Black woman in America who is in a relationship with a Nigerian man. He has been in America for 3 years. Sadly he has chosen to hold on to his Nigerian hygiene instead of becoming more clean! This post is for Nigerian men and women who are in America or are coming to America, to help you learn and meet American hygiene standards.

Brush your teeth at least once a day! Nobody wants to smell your stinky breathe! If you have never been to the dentist then no matter how much you brush your breath stinks due to tartar build up! If you eat a smelly meal, for example, a meal with fish, crayfish, and especially goat meat, then you need to brush your teeth after you are done eating EVEN if you already brushed once that day. If you made the break room stink with your lunch then you need to brush and if you can't brush at work then make sure to always carry chewing gum. I guess in Nigeria its ok to walk around with your breathe smelling like fish but in America, you won't be taken seriously, and no one will want to socialize with you if your breathe stinks.

Take at least one shower everyday! A shower in America means you used warm to hot water, a towel or sponge, and SOAP to clean your entire body. If you live in a hot climate or sweat at work then you need to take 2 showers! You need to lather up the sponge with the soap and clean your entire body, that means scrubbing under your arms, between your legs, and your butt!

Women - you need to shave all the hair from under your arms and shave the hair on your vagina area. There should be no hair in your vagina area. You should not have a nappy bush down there! It's nasty and no matter who much you wash you will always have a smell because of the hair. You also need to shave the hair on your legs.

After your shower you need to apply deodorant under your arms. If you don't use deodorant then you will stink and no one wants to smell musty arm pits! Next apply lotion (cream) to prevent dry skin.

Put on clean underwear and clothes. You can not wear the same underwear everyday! That is so nasty. You should be putting on clean clothes and clean underwear every single day. Wearing a shirt and pants all day and then putting them back on the next day without washing them is nasty. You may think they are clean and that may be acceptable in Nigeria but not in America.

In America you always have power, running water, hot water, body soap, deodorant, and tooth paste. There is no excuse to smell. And trust me you smell if you aren't following these basic hygiene tips that we learn as very small children. We also learn to tie our shoes as children. If you don't know how to tie your shoes learn how on YouTube. Hopefully you came to America to be achieve more than you could achieve in Nigeria. Don't come here only to hold tight to 3rd world hygiene practices. America is a first world country so take time to learn our hygiene standards so that people you work with are talking about how bad you stink behind your back!!

I don't mean for this to be harsh and don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I understand that Nigeria is considered a 3rd world country because you don't have a stable source of electricity and your population is in extreme poverty...I know people are suffering. But do better when you come to America. Realize that your hygiene is poor and please take care of yourself...literally.
Re: Personal Hygiene In America by Nobody: 3:56am On Dec 15, 2016
Hi Lisa,
Wow.....this post ummmmm.....so not classy. I happened to stumble on it.
There are more appropriate ways to address problems/concerns. You claim to not want to have hurt their feelings..but you did just that! You insulted a whole country....so not cool!
I'm just not into the "insult" thing that lots of people on this site partake of.
Not a good look for black women either hence the negative stereotypes that exist. Please in the future, work on your delivery. It's not "what you say, but how you say it."

2 Likes

Re: Personal Hygiene In America by Nobody: 4:27pm On Dec 15, 2016
It's also not classy to be in someone's face talking with your breathe smelling like fish or rotten meat. Sometimes when dealing with adults you just have to say it plainly. I really am trying to help. You won't be able to achieve the American dream if you stink. I know Nigerians are proud but don't be so proud that you can't change your ways to achieve your goals in life. Plus I know a lot of men come here looking for women to marry for citizenship so this will help with that effort.

1 Like

Re: Personal Hygiene In America by Nobody: 6:00pm On Dec 15, 2016
Okay...I do understand what you're trying to say (and in such a direct way). I just think there's a thin line between giving "constructive" and "destructive" criticism. Clearly, something has to be said...just how?
I've only dealt with a few Nigerians in my whole life (and I never experienced that) I won't lie though, those two odors would make the strongest person faint. I'm assuming that you made it work with your boyfriend or otherwise no relationship right?
You brought up an interesting point though...which I don't know if I should get into...well I'm going to do it anyhow..Here goes..

The citizenship question....if I may ask.
1.) Is that what's going on in your relationship?

Lisa211:
It's also not classy to be in someone's face talking with your breathe smelling like fish or rotten meat. Sometimes when dealing with adults you just have to say it plainly. I really am trying to help. You won't be able to achieve the American dream if you stink. I know Nigerians are proud but don't be so proud that you can't change your ways to achieve your goals in life. Plus I know a lot of men come here looking for women to marry for citizenship so this will help with that effort.
Re: Personal Hygiene In America by Nobody: 1:04am On Dec 16, 2016
No I don't mind. I didn't think he just wanted me for citizenship at first but now I'm starting to think so. I have been estranged from my soon to be ex-husband for 5 years now. I don't even know where that man lives. I've filed for divorce and my divorce will be final very soon. My new Nigerian man, that I've only been with for 3 months wants to married me immediately after my divorce is final...literally that same month. I've tried to tell him I didn't even want to ever marry again but was considering it. But my intuition is telling me not to do it. He doesn't seem to care that I had decided before I ever met him not to marry again. Additionally, I told him if I ever did get married again it would be a small wedding that I'd like to do outside in the Fall. He doesn't care and insists it must be literally days after my divorce is final. It's been stressing me all week, on top of that he has major hygiene issues and doesn't have common manners like please and thank you, saying excuse me when he farts or burps, he bites his spoon and even though I've told him about these things numerous times he continues to do them. That tells me he doesn't care. I think if he loved me he would try harder. I think his love is about his green card. But even though he was raised in a village without proper hygiene and manners I feel as a grown man he should want to do these things now that he's here and plans to stay here. I know not every Nigerian man is the same so if it doesnt work out with him I would date another Nigerian man, but hopefully one that was raised better or has assimilated to the American standards of hygiene and manners.
Re: Personal Hygiene In America by nubianwarrior: 3:50am On Dec 16, 2016
another rude black america.

2 Likes

Re: Personal Hygiene In America by Nobody: 2:55pm On Dec 16, 2016
nubianwarrior:
another rude black america.

It's rude to make other people smell your stinky body odor! Learn proper adult hygiene.
Re: Personal Hygiene In America by Nobody: 6:20pm On Dec 16, 2016
I'm sorry to hear that. No one would ever want that.
So your preference is Nigerian men basically? If so, do you mind telling me why?

Lisa211:
No I don't mind. I didn't think he just wanted me for citizenship at first but now I'm starting to think so. I have been estranged from my soon to be ex-husband for 5 years now. I don't even know where that man lives. I've filed for divorce and my divorce will be final very soon. My new Nigerian man, that I've only been with for 3 months wants to married me immediately after my divorce is final...literally that same month. I've tried to tell him I didn't even want to ever marry again but was considering it. But my intuition is telling me not to do it. He doesn't seem to care that I had decided before I ever met him not to marry again. Additionally, I told him if I ever did get married again it would be a small wedding that I'd like to do outside in the Fall. He doesn't care and insists it must be literally days after my divorce is final. It's been stressing me all week, on top of that he has major hygiene issues and doesn't have common manners like please and thank you, saying excuse me when he farts or burps, he bites his spoon and even though I've told him about these things numerous times he continues to do them. That tells me he doesn't care. I think if he loved me he would try harder. I think his love is about his green card. But even though he was raised in a village without proper hygiene and manners I feel as a grown man he should want to do these things now that he's here and plans to stay here. I know not every Nigerian man is the same so if it doesnt work out with him I would date another Nigerian man, but hopefully one that was raised better or has assimilated to the American standards of hygiene and manners.
Re: Personal Hygiene In America by Nobody: 9:46pm On Dec 16, 2016
It's not a preference. I just happen to meet him. But I won't refuse to date other nigerian men because of the issues I've had with him.
Re: Personal Hygiene In America by lepasharon(f): 1:29am On Dec 17, 2016
OP you are right, Africans fresh off the boat stink and need these tips.

1 Like

Re: Personal Hygiene In America by Nobody: 12:14am On Dec 18, 2016
Lisa211:
It's not a preference. I just happen to meet him. But I won't refuse to date other nigerian men because of the issues I've had with him.

That's fair & makes sense. I've definitely heard some stories about the whole citizenship thing...very touchy subject indeed.
Re: Personal Hygiene In America by Goyim: 12:46pm On Dec 18, 2016
this is a summary of how your brain interprets logic :

"Because my one Nigerian boyfriend doesn't brush his teeth, or go to the dentist
then 170 million Nigerians don't brush their teeth or visit their dentist regularly."

makes you vapid, to be quite honest

3 Likes

Re: Personal Hygiene In America by Nobody: 11:22pm On Dec 18, 2016
Heeeeee!
Black woman in America
Says
Please take time to learn 'our culture'
Which culture, who dash you?
Keep deceiving yourself.
Black remains black.

Anyway i hope your ngwongwo manfriend is reading this, if not i pity you thé black woman in America since you are the direct récipient of all thé nyamanyama that hé offloads at your end. Sorry. Kpele undecided
Re: Personal Hygiene In America by Nobody: 11:41pm On Dec 18, 2016
Lisa211:

Élizabeth,
Listen and listen good now.
Don't even try to near any other Nigérian man, ok? Enough is enough coupled with the fact that they are not even enough for us!. Côme to think of it, must it be a Nogerian? Please try other black men in America or whites.

Just joking o! grin grin grin
Please you can have as many Nigérian men as you wish if that will sustain your happiness. Shikinah.
Re: Personal Hygiene In America by ChemicalReaction(f): 11:51am On Dec 21, 2016
Americans smell too..

#Garlic.

(1) (Reply)

Igbo Ora In Oyo State:world Home Of Twins / Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Most Expensive Burial Arrangement And Ceremonies. / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.