Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,752 members, 7,806,061 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:51 AM

The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow (30660 Views)

Thinking Of Getting A Tattoo? See What The Bible And Quran Says About It / The Bible Says: The Earth Is Flat! / What The Quran Says About Christians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by Abuzola(m): 9:25pm On Nov 14, 2009
cOMPILED BY aBuzola

Al- Quran 79:30

“And the earth, moreover, Hath He made egg shaped.”

The Arabic word for egg here is dahaha, which means an ostrich-egg. The shape of an ostrich-egg resembles the geo-spherical shape of the earth. Thus the Qur’aan correctly describes the shape of the earth, though the prevalent notion when the Qur’aan was revealed was that the earth is flat

unlike the four corner earth of the christian[/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]

Isaiah 11:12 
12 And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH. (KJV)

Revelation 7:1
1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree. (KJV) 

Daniel 4:11
11 The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the ENDS OF ALL THE EARTH: (KJV) 

Matthew 4:8
8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; (KJV)
Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by viaro: 2:02am On Nov 15, 2009
It seems Nairaland is fast becoming a joke in this section. .  but let's laugh on all the same.

Abuzola, you're trying too hard at something very simple. The Bible does not teach your categorical duplicity, and here's how to sort out the misunderstanding you're cementing against your chest.

The Four Corners of the Earth

(1) The phrase "four corners of the earth" is not meant as a literal implication of a flat earth. That phrase is commonly used in reference to all parts of the earth - regardless of their cardinal points. This was clearly intended in the contexts of the verses you quoted from the Bible, especially when you compare the first two passages (Isaiah 11:12 and Revelation 7:1) with the third (Daniel 4:11). In the third instance, the meaning is clearly spelt out - "the ends of all the earth", which is no less the same as all parts of the earth.

(2) Other expressions are used in the Bible to refer to the same thing when speaking in reference to all the parts of the earth. Some examples include:

[list]All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee - Psalm 22:27[/list]

[list]He hath remembered his mercy and his truth toward the house of Israel: all the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God - Psalm 98:3[/list]

4 Likes

Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by viaro: 2:05am On Nov 15, 2009
Other Uses in Common Languages

(3) Not only does the phrase appear in the Bible, but even in common language usage outside of the Bible the phrase is used in reference to the same thing of all parts of the earth. Take the following examples:

[list] ________ [/list]

[list]As an idiomatic expression, the 'four corners of the earth' has the dictionary meanings of -
[li]The far ends of the world;[/li]
[li]all parts of the world.[/li]
For example, Athletes came from the four corners of the earth to compete in the Olympics.'
Reference: - The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer.
Copyright © 1997. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.[/list]

[list]________[/list]

[list]An online reference gives these meaning:

* four corners of the earth
[list][li]four directions upon the earth,[/li]
[li]the four points of the compass (north, south, east, west);[/li]
[li]all over the world, far and wide[/li][/list]
http://dictionary.babylon.com/Four_corners_of_the_earth
[/list]

[list]________[/list]

[list]The Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English also yields this meaning -

* the four corners of the Earth/world
literary
places or countries that are very far away from each other:
People from the four corners of the world have come to Ontario to make it their home.
[/list]

[list]________[/list]

[list]17. the four corners of the earth:
the most distant or remote regions:
They traveled to the four corners of the earth.
http://dictionary.infoplease.com/corner[/list]

From all the above, it is clear that those who use and understand the phrase 'the four corners of the earth' are not thinking of a flat earth. Rather, the phrase is used to mean the following, as we have seen -

* all parts of the earth
* the far ends of the world
* four directions upon the earth
* the most distant or remote regions
* the four points of the compass (north, south, east, west)
* places or countries that are very far away from each other

In none of these meanings is the phrase used to suppose a flat earth; and only dunces keep trying to force the meaning of a flat earth into that phrase.

3 Likes

Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by viaro: 2:06am On Nov 15, 2009
Now, a second thing I'd like to point out: the Bible does not teach a flat earth, but rather indicate a spherical earth. Just two well-known verses would do for now -

Isaiah 40:22 -
It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth,
and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers;
that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain,
and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Job 26:7 -
He stretcheth out the north over the empty place,
and hangeth the earth upon nothing.

These are two well-known verses that indicate the Biblical writers did not force the idea of a flat earth. For one, Isaiah speaks of the circle of the earth; and in Job we read of a remarkable fact - the earth hangs upon nothing!

1 Like

Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by viaro: 2:10am On Nov 15, 2009
Having looked at what troubles you, I'd like to make two observations from your post:

(a)  your assertion that -
'the prevalent notion when the Qur’aan was revealed
was that the earth is flat'
(b)  your quote from Al- Quran 79:30 -
'And the earth, moreover, Hath He made egg shaped'

Let me first attend upon the first instance about your assertion in (a) above -

'the prevalent notion when the Qur’aan was revealed
was that the earth is flat'

. . . we know it is a blatant, shameless lie! The Quran was revealed in the 6th century AD, and the prevalent understanding at that period was a spherical earth, not a flat earth. You must have copied or plagiarised that obvious whopper from another muslim website in the belief that the quran introduced anything novel, as if nobody understood the shape of the earth until the 6th century AD! But let's make a quick check to see that many centuries earlier before the quran was scribbled, many philosophers have already established the sphericity of the earth:

[list]Early Greek philosophers alluded to a spherical Earth, though with some ambiguity. This idea influenced Pythagoras (b. 570 BCE), who saw harmony in the universe and sought to explain it. He reasoned that Earth and the other planets must be spheres, since the most harmonious geometric solid form is a sphere. After the fifth century BCE, no Greek writer of repute thought the world was anything but round.[/list]

[list]Plato (427 BCE - 347 BCE) travelled to southern Italy to study Pythagorean mathematics. When he returned to Athens and established his school, Plato also taught his students that Earth was a sphere. If man could soar high above the clouds, Earth would resemble "one of those balls which have leather coverings in twelve pieces, and is decked with various colours, of which the colours used by painters on earth are in a manner samples." (Phaedo, 110b)[/list]

[list]Seleucus of Seleucia (c. 190 BC), who lived in the Seleucia region of Mesopotamia, stated that the Earth is spherical (and actually orbits the Sun, influenced by the heliocentric theory of Aristarchus of Samos).[/list]

[list]The works of the classical Indian astronomer and mathematician, Aryabhata (476-550 AD), deal with the sphericity of the Earth and the motion of the planets. The final two parts of his Sanskrit magnum opus, the Aryabhatiya, which were named the Kalakriya ("reckoning of time"wink and the Gola ("sphere"wink, state that the Earth is spherical and that its circumference is 4,967 yojanas, which in modern units is 39,968 km, which is only 62 km less than the current value of 40,030 km. He also stated that the apparent rotation of the celestial objects was due to the actual rotation of the Earth, calculating the length of the sidereal day to be 23 hours, 56 minutes and 4.1 seconds, which is also surprisingly accurate.[/list]

[list]source for all the above:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_Earth#cite_ref-dicks1_1-0 [/list]

You can see that long before Muhammad and Islam, the prevalent notion was that the earth was spherical, not flat. Besides, there have been great developments that established this fact, including -

* calculations of the earth's circumference

* the sphericity of other planets

* heliocentric theory where earth orbits the sun

Nothing in these areas have been improved upon by the quran; so the noise of your assertion for the 'prevalent notion' is a moot point.

5 Likes

Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by viaro: 2:20am On Nov 15, 2009
The second point in (b) of your post - your quote from Al- Quran 79:30 -

'And the earth, moreover, Hath He made egg shaped'

This is actually funny, because when I asked a muslim friend to help me check that verse from his library of several qurans, he ran me a list that have them saying quite different things from your own quote. This list did not translate your excuse for an 'egg shape', but just left it out entirely while claiming something else. Here is what he sent me -

"And after that He spread the earth"
Saheeh International English Translation, Q. 79:30

"And the earth!- thereafter He stretched it out."
A. M. Daryabadi translation

"And after that, the earth: wide has He spread its expanse,"
M. Asad's translation

"After that He smoothed out the earth"
A. Bewley's translation

"And after that He spread the earth;"
M.T. Hilali/M.M. Khan translation

"and the earth did He prepare for life at a later date"
Al-Muntakhab's translation

"And after that He spread the earth,"
M.M. Pickthall's translation

"And the earth He extended after that"
Qaribullah/Darwish translation

"After this, He spread out the earth"
M. Sarwar's translation

"And the earth, He expanded it after that."
Shakir's translation

"And the earth, along with it, HE has spread forth."
Sher Ali's translation

"And the earth, moreover, hath He extended (to a wide expanse);"
Yusuf Ali's translation

There are several other qurans he quoted - quite a long list - on that same verse (Q. 79:30), which are all saying very different things from what you posted about egg-shape. A second look through the list reveals at least one that is close to your own quote, and is taken from the Khalifa translation -

*  "He made the earth egg-shaped"

Now, I already admit that I'm not a muslim and cannot pretend to have any muslim scholarship. However, I know from various sources (including my Muslim friend) who note that -

*  Khalifa's translation is spurious and dubious,
    and not many Muslims favour his translation

*  Muslims cannot trust Khalifa's translation because
    that is the one that is popularly known in the Muslim world
    to argue that at least two verse of the quran are false!

More than that, even where some Muslims try to save face by pandering to such translations as Khalifa's, it is clear that the issue of the arabic word 'dahaha' for egg-shape has been roundly debunked! If you want the links, I could post just one for you - at least, it should help you do your own research before blindly plagiarising dubious sources!

4 Likes

Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by viaro: 2:44am On Nov 15, 2009
At any rate, though. . . some people (surprisingly even some Muslims among them) argue that Islam believed in the notion of a flat earth. Although my friend that gave me the list earlier does not believe in a flat earth, he has not shown me any verse that teaches a spherical earth from the quran. I shall not press him too far or too hard; and although he is not eager to discuss further on that subject, it may seem a good concluding note to post a few which he left me without comments (other than the epitaph that 'the reader should draw his own conclusions from them'). .

So, here are a few of those verses he left me in the second, separate list:

*  "And the earth We have spread out (like a carpet);
     set thereon mountains firm and immovable;
     and produced therein all kinds of things in due balance."
~~ Yusuf Ali's translation, Quran 15:19

*  "He Who has, made for you the earth like a carpet spread out;
    has enabled you to go about therein by roads (and channels);
    and has sent down water from the sky." With it have We produced
    diverse pairs of plants each separate from the others."
~~ Yusuf Ali's translation, Quran 20:53

*  'And God has made the earth for you as a carpet (spread out),'
~~ Yusuf Ali's translation, Quran 71:19

My comments and observations (not my muslim friend's comments) are that Yusuf Ali's translation is very well respected in the Muslim world; and thereupon, in at least three verses in the quran he translates them in the prevailing islamic notion of a flat earth. Otherwise, Abuzola, what is a rational observer to think of this statement -

*  how does 'the earth like a carpet spread out' resemble en egg-shape?

That is the simple question to answer without your usual one-finger sentences of verbal attacks! cheesy  Since you are very scientific and mathematical, please show us the correlation between an egg-shape and a flat carpet. That would be a trance in the 25th dimension! Happily waiting.

4 Likes

Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by Abuzola(m): 5:56am On Nov 15, 2009
An invisible friend indeed, when will you christian desist from lying.

The word in that verse says 'Dahaha' meaning an ostrich egg so where did you get ur absurd translation or rather another replacement, I am a graduate in arabic studies so i know better than you, stop yielding to the lies you copy on the net
Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by Abuzola(m): 5:58am On Nov 15, 2009
Thank God you didn't deny the corner of the earth, you even emphasize it by stressing the four ends of the earth. I guess you didn't read ur copy - paste properly, cheers
Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by Abuzola(m): 5:59am On Nov 15, 2009
'whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him and in the Hereafter he will be among the losers' Quran 3:85
Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by viaro: 9:11am On Nov 15, 2009
Abuzola:

He is not an 'invisible' friend. If I knew, I would not have asked him - and the verses posted are not a lie, are they? If they are, the quran is a damn lying book, no? Or, the muslim friend must have been lying as well, no?

The word in that verse says 'Dahaha' meaning an ostrich egg

This lie has been soundly rebutted - not by me or any invisible friend, but by careful readers who can search out your pranks and expose you to the dessert sand! grin  Let me give you one such place you will find the rebuttal -  http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090310052115AAEdWm9.  In that Yahoo link, someone (obviously another muslim simpleton) had recopied and posted the same dross of 'dahaha' for ostrich egg.  Scroll down on that page to the user name 'sani', and you will find this excellent rebuttal (which has been posted on many sites already) -

[list]
Quran 79:30: And after that He spread the earth,
Waal-arda baAAda thalika dahaha
وَالأرْضَ بَعْدَ ذَلِك دَحَاا هَا
دَحَا = daha= spread out , level off , level. The last ha = هَا in dahaha means this.

Heading off apologetics 101:
=====================

Lisan Al Arab - Duhiya:

الأُدْحِيُّ و الإدْحِيُّ و الأُدْحِيَّة و الإدْحِيَّة و الأُدْحُوّة مَبِيض النعام في الرمل , وزنه أُفْعُول من ذلك , لأَن النعامة تَدْحُوه برِجْلها ثم تَبِيض فيه وليس للنعام عُشٌّ . و مَدْحَى النعام : موضع بيضها , و أُدْحِيُّها موضعها الذي تُفَرِّخ فيه .ِ

Translation: "Al-udhy, Al-idhy, Al-udhiyya, Al-idhiyya, Al-udhuwwa:

The place in sand where an ostrich lays its egg. That's because the ostrich spreads out the earth with its feet then lays its eggs there, an ostrich doesn't have a nest."

Al Qamoos Al Muheet - daha:
(دَحَا): الله الأرضَ
(يَدْحُوهَا وَيَدْحَاهَا دَحْواً) بَسَطَها

Translation: "Allah daha the Earth: He spread it out."

Al Waseet - daha:
دَحَا الشيءَ: بسطه ووسعه. يقال: دحا اللهُ الأَر

Translation: "To daha something: means to spread it out. For example: Allah daha the Earth."

Lisan Al Arab daha:
الدَّحْوُ البَسْطُ . دَحَا الأَرضَ يَدْحُوها دَحْواً بَسَطَها . وقال الفراء في قوله والأَرض بعد ذلك دَحاها قال : بَسَطَها ; قال شمر : وأَنشدتني أَعرابية : الحمدُ لله الذي أَطاقَا

بَنَى السماءَ فَوْقَنا طِباقَا

ثم دَحا الأَرضَ فما أَضاقا

قال شمر : وفسرته فقالت دَحَا الأَرضَ أَوْسَعَها ; وأَنشد ابن بري لزيد بن عمرو بن نُفَيْل : دَحَاها , فلما رآها اسْتَوَتْ

على الماء , أَرْسَى عليها الجِبالا

و دَحَيْتُ الشيءَ أَدْحاهُ دَحْياً بَسَطْته , لغة في دَحَوْتُه ; حكاها اللحياني . وفي حديث عليّ وصلاتهِ , اللهم دَاحِيَ المَدْحُوَّاتِ يعني باسِطَ الأَرَضِينَ ومُوَسِّعَها , ويروى ; دَاحِيَ المَدْحِيَّاتِ . و الدَّحْوُ البَسْطُ . يقال : دَحَا يَدْحُو و يَدْحَى أَي بَسَطَ ووسع

Translation: "To daha the earth: means to spread it out." (followed by some poetry to give definitive proof as to the meaning of dahaha)[/list]

You can do some other searches and find where the lie of dahaha = egg-shape has been rebutted! tongue  You never read, never understand, never seek to be educated. . only copy and paste hilarious one-sided lying muslim arguments.

so where did you get your absurd translation or rather another replacement,

I can't laugh enough! Please stop ducking your head in sand and pretending you did not see the translations after each quote. The translations are all known as works of Muslim translators - and I posted them there after each quote:

Saheeh International English Translation

A. M. Daryabadi translation

M. Asad's translation

A. Bewley's translation

M.T. Hilali/M.M. Khan translation

Al-Muntakhab's translation

M.M. Pickthall's translation

Qaribullah/Darwish translation

M. Sarwar's translation

Shakir's translation

Sher Ali's translation

Yusuf Ali's translation

These translators (I am informed) are respected Muslim scholars - so why did they not use the dubious mistranslation of "egg shape" in that same verse? None of them in their scholarship translated it as "egg shape"; and in fact, Yusuf Ali's translation categorically says the earth was spread our like a carpet. Tell us, how does a carpet resemble egg shape? Huh?

I am a graduate in arabic studies so i know better than you, stop yielding to the lies you copy on the net

When will you muslims be ashamed of your lies? grin You're only a graduate of plagiarism - copying dubious arguments from other people's ignorant websites. And the people you copied from are graduates of confusion for themselves.

2 Likes

Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by viaro: 9:14am On Nov 15, 2009
Abuzola:

Thank God you didn't deny the corner of the earth, you even emphasize it by stressing the four ends of the earth. I guess you didn't read your copy - paste properly, cheers

There was nothing to deny, only to show you your misunderstanding of the meaning of the phrase. As you can see, none of the sources I quoted used that phrase to mean a flat earth, and only liars who are uneducated have continued to make that mistake. tongue
Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by viaro: 9:20am On Nov 15, 2009
Just so that you don't run off to the arabian dessert again, please answer this question I asked you earlier in post #6 -

Abuzola, what is a rational observer to think of this statement -

*  how does 'the earth like a carpet spread out' resemble en egg-shape?

That is the simple question to answer without your usual one-finger sentences of verbal attacks! cheesy  Since you are very scientific and mathematical, . .

please show us the correlation between an egg-shape and a flat carpet.

That would be a trance in the 25th dimension! Happily waiting.
Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by naijacutee(f): 12:44pm On Nov 15, 2009
I love you, viaro!

4 Likes

Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by Abuzola(m): 12:55pm On Nov 15, 2009
@viaro-

you are blindly argueing in something you know not by copying and pasting, you sound more confused, 'Dahaha' has one meaning which means ostrich's egg so i wonder where you got the spreading from, spreading in arabic does not mean dahaha but rather another different word,
Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by Abuzola(m): 12:58pm On Nov 15, 2009
As for the flat earth of the bible , yeah no escaping, either the earth is triangular or rectangular
Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by BADLEE: 1:31pm On Nov 15, 2009
Abuzola:

The word in that verse says 'Dahaha' meaning an ostrich egg so where did you get your absurd translation or rather another replacement, I am a graduate in arabic studies so i know better than you, stop yielding to the lies you copy on the net

@ Abuzola
So you didn't see any reasonable thing to study ,you went and wasted years and money studying arabic studies, Nawaoooo.
Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by luvola(m): 1:40pm On Nov 15, 2009
mad man answer viaro question
Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by AKO1(m): 2:13pm On Nov 15, 2009
Abuzola, a little bit of reason [/b]and [b]self-respect would go a long way.
Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by KunleOshob(m): 2:25pm On Nov 15, 2009
A_K_O:

Abuzola, a little bit of reason [/b]and [b]self-respect would go a long way.
Islam does not give any room for reasoning lipsrsealed
Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by donjon: 2:36pm On Nov 15, 2009
@viaro,
thanks, once again abuzola has been defeated!
Light 1-0 darkness
Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by Abuzola(m): 2:49pm On Nov 15, 2009
AKO you are a fool, why did you delete my post, shameless cross worshipper
Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by olabowale(m): 3:10pm On Nov 15, 2009
listen to all these disbelievers, tripping over one another in ignorance! you people must never observe anything except the mundanes. open your inner eyes and stop beng so lame when you speak.

is the study of arabic less important than the study of english, or french, or any other? today, at the UN and American and other western countries, they can get enough of arab linguists. Sheik Muhibudeen is travelling all over the world based on his master's degree in this field, alone!

and as to Viaro's assertion to mean that carpet has to be flat like a floor in your living room when its spread out, is completely off the mark! Proof: Carpet takes the shape of what you spread it upon. if on a mound or mole, it takes that very shape because it is a form of host shape taking thing, similar to clothing on this matter.

The Kurks have a rug/carpet made of silk, and by Allah you can almost want to wear in or at least as a quilt or cover yourself with it in bed, especially in winter. So to assume that carpet is spread out means flat without considering that it is flat only upon the shape of what it covers as it is spread out on it, is silly and deceitful if the proponent knows the truth, but insists in telling this fabble, easily detected!

But then, if you are not a speaker of a language how would you know the root word and meaning of an idiomatic expression, of that language when it is spoken? Abuzola says he is a specialist in that language, yet you are defending the obvious, when you could have easily research dahaha, an arabic word, for its loose meanings in English and show some matriculation by it. Ostrich as a bird could not be well known to the arabs, since even in west africa, we dont have them. eggs however are known to almost all cultures, so it is reasonable that egg is the likely  answer, rather than ostrich spreading the earth/soil!

How can the Christians ignore the 4 corners of the earth, yet have the audacity to say spreading means or almost indicating the same 4 corners, or something like that?
Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by olabowale(m): 3:14pm On Nov 15, 2009
1. Earth made as a carpet
The question refers to a verse from the Qur’an in Surah Nuh:

"And Allah has made the earth for you as a carpet (spread out)."
[Al-Qur’an 71:19]

But the sentence in the above verse is not complete. It continues in the next verse, explaining the previous verse. It says:

"That ye may go about therein, in spacious roads."
[Al-Qur’an 71:20]

A similar message is repeated in Surah TaHa:

"He Who has made for you the earth like a carpet spread out; has enabled you to go about therein by roads (and channels), "
[Al-Qur’an 20:53]

The surface of the earth i.e. earth’s crust is less than 30 miles in thickness and is very thin as compared to the radius of the earth which is about 3750 miles. The deeper layers of the earth are very hot, fluid and hostile to any form of life. The earth’s crust is a solidified shell on which we can live. The Qur’an rightly refers to it like a carpet spread out, so that we can travel along its roads and paths.

2. Carpet can also be spread on other than an absolute flat surface
Not a single verse of the Qur’an says that the earth is flat. The Qur’an only compares the earth’s crust with a carpet. Some people seem to think that carpet can only be put on an absolute flat surface. It is possible to spread a carpet on a large sphere such as the earth. It can easily be demonstrated by taking a huge model of the earth’s globe covering it with a carpet.

Carpet is generally put on a surface, which is not very comfortable to walk on. The Qur’an describes the earth crust as a carpet, without which human beings would not be able to survive because of the hot, fluid and hostile environment beneath it. The Qur’an is thus not only logical, it is mentioning a scientific fact that was discovered by geologists centuries later.

3. Earth has been spread out
Similarly, the Qur’an says in several verses that the earth has been spread out.

"And We have spread out the (spacious) earth: how excellently We do spread out!"
[Al-Qur’an 51:48]

Similarly the Qur’an also mentions in several other verses that the earth is an expanse:

"Have We not made the earth as a wide expanse"
"And the mountains as pegs?"
[Al-Qur’an 78:6-7]

None of these verses of the Qur’an contain even the slightest implication that the earth is flat. It only indicates that the earth is spacious and the reason for this spaciousness of the earth is mentioned. The Glorious Qur’an says:

"O My servants who believe! truly. spacious is My Earth: therefore serve ye Me –(And Me alone)!"
[Al-Qur’an 29:56]

Therefore none can give the excuse, that he could not do good and was forced to do evil because of the surroundings and circumstances.

4. Earth is geospherical in shape
The Qur’an mentions the actual shape of the earth in the following verse:

"And we have made the earth egg shaped".
[Al-Qur’an 79:30]

The Arabic word Dahaha means egg shaped. It also means an expanse. Dahaha is derived from Duhiya which specifically refers to the egg of an ostrich which is geospherical in shape, exactly like the shape of the earth.

Thus the Qur’an and modern established science are in perfect harmony.

Can any Christian show me the roads and channel on a completely flat surface, especially the channel, which means there is that changes of high.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by Abuzola(m): 3:48pm On Nov 15, 2009
@luvola- Whats the question, ur friend fellow cross worshipper is trying to teach me Arabic when he hasn't even attend a kindergateen arabic school, whether you like it or not the bible says the earth is flat, clearly evident
Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by olabowale(m): 4:00pm On Nov 15, 2009
Just to play along in this game of deceit of the enemies of Islam, I went to Daniel Pipe's FFI (note that he only criticises and lead the forum of Criticism of Islam, but not the Christians nor his Jewish Zionists), and I found what they say about Duhaha. Actually they said nothing that leads away from what Abuzola said.

Lane's Lexicon, which is their source could have been around for just over 200 years (am exagerating), while Quranic understanding of this word or expression has been established long time before that, some 1400 years ago!

Lane is like me trying to be an igbo expert. On Friday, I was talking to this guy whose blood is from Onisha. He told me that Owerri igbo is very hard to understand, so am wondering if Lane a Kufr is a better source of understanding the word Duhaha than the whole of Islamic world? The best yoruba man who writes igbo can never understand this language better than an igbo man who lives in igbo land with a mere average scholarship of the same language. while the yoruba guy depends on classroom and library for his education, the igbo man has his whole family, his community as a greater advantage over the yoruba.

this is a fact, and the deniers are even more deluded than being plainly ignorant! Note that Lane also translates dahaha to mean the place in the sand where the ostrich lays its eggs, and not to the eggs themselves.
Can anyone show me from what Lane said that this is the only meaning and that it means flat, since we see that spreading by scratching leads to what takes the shape of the egg so that it is at least be stable and or concealed from preditors?
Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by Abuzola(m): 4:28pm On Nov 15, 2009
Excel, sir olabowale, daniel pipe and co know the truth lets just be praying for them
Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by Abuzola(m): 4:30pm On Nov 15, 2009
@vanity or is it viaro- in arabic spread means 'Basit' so how come ur duhaha an ostrich egg turns to spread ? Huh
Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by DeepSight(m): 5:13pm On Nov 15, 2009
Isaiah 40:22 - "It is HE that sitteth upon the CIRCLE of the Earth. . . "

Case closed.
Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by Abuzola(m): 6:08pm On Nov 15, 2009
So the earth is circle ? Bu hahaha
Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by naijacutee(f): 6:27pm On Nov 15, 2009
Maybe I've missed something here, but Abuzola I mean no offence. From your posts, you seem very passionate about your choice of religion which I respect, even though I do not hold it as truth. I've looked at this thread over, and over trying to find out the motive for the thread. Just one question - Are you driven by love for Allah or hatred of christians? It doesn't look like a third alternative is possible for the creation of this topic.

2 Likes

Re: The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow by Abuzola(m): 7:08pm On Nov 15, 2009
'whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him and in the Hereafter he will be among the losers' Quran 3:85

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Bishop Oyedepo: "Inclusion Of Arabic Studies In Police Recruitment Unacceptable" / Rich Churches, Poor Members / Will You Attend These Type Of Churches?(pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.