Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,799 members, 7,802,561 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:21 PM

5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned (21268 Views)

Car Importation Business / Has FG Lifted Ban On Vehicle Importation Through Land Borders,agents Pls Help. / Effects Of Ban On Importation Of Vehicles Through Land. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by gudnex22(m): 6:57am On Dec 16, 2016
g
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by UuzbaGuuzba: 7:01am On Dec 16, 2016
deeMarc:
How many people will buy innosson when cars like Toyota, Hyundai, Honda keep coming with different specs and modification..if the op were to be asked to choose between innosson and Toyota product...which would you choose?

We're all hypocrites in Nigeria. ...
Both the politicians and we the people. ..
As for Americans who first settled there, they invented cars. They never imported anything. Why can't Nigerians do likewise? All we need is National pride and things will begin to happen.
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by InvertedHammer: 7:06am On Dec 16, 2016
/
I cannot even look at any car now.

$45k car @ N199/$ exchange rate used to be about N9m before S & H.

At the current rate of N485/$, it becomes N22m.

No. Thank you. They can even close Apapa wharf for all I care.

This is the best time to move into fixed assets.

\

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by Undisputed001(m): 7:09am On Dec 16, 2016
Nigerians are people with inherent sophisticated ignorance.
It has been further compounded by perpetual failure to drop the toga of a looser being manifested by Jonathanians.
These are the reasons why they can't give robust arguments to buttress their point but readily resort to abusive and gutter languages.
Let them continue.
Even Lee Kwon Young had critics before they were put to embarrassing shame by his exceptional performance.
So, my fingers are crossed till 2018.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by lifezone247(m): 7:27am On Dec 16, 2016
nextprince:

This is what I was expecting not all these buhari is this buhari is that like the two immediate posts above.
Thumb up bro.
thumps up to you too bro, the thing is this, who tells the op that they don't smuggle Cars in Nigerian seaport? A lot of nasty things goes on in tincan most times they smuggle Cars due to high custom duty rate and bring it to seme border to pay duty, I have paid duty to tincan smuggled cars more than 1000 times, I even did one 2014 Toyota venza just last week.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by Nobody: 7:48am On Dec 16, 2016
lifezone247:
thumps up to you too bro, the thing is this, who tells the op that they don't smuggle Cars in Nigerian seaport? A lot of nasty things goes on in tincan most times they smuggle Cars due to high custom duty rate and bring it to seme border to pay duty, I have paid duty to tincan smuggled cars more than 1000 times, I even did one 2014 Toyota venza just last week.
OP doesn't have any idea of what he is saying. The fuel subsidy fraud was perpetrated at Apapa port, so what's he saying again.
There's this trending line of trying to make us believe any unpopular policy is only gonna affect the rich negatively. I can never understand.
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by checkolatunji: 7:50am On Dec 16, 2016
buharimustlive:
That is the world dullest president way of diversifying the economy.

The Senate should quickly impeach and sack KEMI ADEOSUN, what kind of dull minister of finance is she....

And what has Adeosun got to do with this?

Just adking

1 Like

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by soloniger(m): 7:52am On Dec 16, 2016
sapiosexual1:
The problem with the Buhari administration is that he wants to cut off his nose to spite his face.
If you make such wholesome policies just to tackle the "rich who are benefiting", the ripple effect trickles down to the poor who don't have as much cash to absorb the shock.
Just take a look at similar policies viz : fuel subsidy, dollar ish, 49 items banned etc
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by Empredboy(m): 8:04am On Dec 16, 2016
Op u are wrong. Do you know that there is corruption in apapa port than seme, idiroko and illaro combine. As a Licence agent in seme, I can tell you that an average Custom will prefer working in apapa port than our land boarder. Let me ask you, how many vessel or container do we receive daily on our land boarder compare to what comes to the port.? My bro no talk watin you no know
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by panpan(m): 8:17am On Dec 16, 2016
kolnel:
As much as it is for the betterment of the country
What happens to the hundreds of dealers that patronize Cotonou legitimately
The tariffs at Nigeria port is way to high, if it's reduced many ppl will rather ship through our port.
The federal government should ask itself why several Nigerians ship their cars to Cotonou rather than Lagos. Car importers would prefer to minimize cost wherever possible. If the cost of clearing cars were standard and at a cost similar to that of Benin Republic, our ports would get much more patronage. In addition, clearing of cars should not be cumbersome and should be achieved within the shortest time possible.

Banning car importation through the land borders is not likely to work; there is no point in making rules that cannot be enforced.

1 Like

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by justice2100: 8:28am On Dec 16, 2016
Because some individuals are trying to regain lost control on the market share.
Thé car prices in Lagos and Niger or Katsina are almost thesame. So whère is thé double taxation effect. If Thérè are crupt officers on land Thérè are also crupt officers at d port
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by stpat1(m): 8:31am On Dec 16, 2016
If only people can sit and critically think about the positive aspect of the decision, they won't have to complain.
I welcome the decision.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by MrGerald(m): 8:32am On Dec 16, 2016
AutoJoshNG:
When the rich lament about the ban of car importation through land border, I always understand their plight. However, for the average Nigerian that intends to buy that 2003 Toyota Camry… You need not worry because you didn’t even have any real benefit before the ban.

Reasons car importation through land border was banned:

1. Only Politicians and Top Government Officials truly benefitted:
These guys smuggle brand new cars through the land border like pure water. In 2014, I went to Ilaro for the first time and slept over. You won’t believe over 100 brand new Land Cruiser and Prado SUVs were smuggled into the country through that route that day. The vehicles came in around 6 pm and were parked in a large compound until they departed at midnight. The residents told me most of those cars were going to Abuja. As the owner of the compound was an official smuggler for the politicians.

2. Corruption, Leakages and Smuggling:
You do not want to imagine how much corruption has been going on at that Seme border. The Custom officials are just getting richer at the expense of the country.

Leakages and pillages everywhere. Custom exploiting smugglers and smugglers killing Custom officials in return. It has even become a battle field with over 70 Custom officers killed in 2016 alone.

3. Double Duty Makes an Cotonou Cars More Expensive:
Are you among those who think Cotonou cars are cheaper? Wake up, It’s a myth.

This is the logic. Cars in Cotonou are not sourced from space. They are imported from USA, Canada and Europe. This means, Lagos and Cotonou bound cars are bought from the same market… at similar prices. Shipping cost is also not different.. I know this because I have shipped to both locations. So how can a Cotonou car be cheaper? The answers are simple:

-- Some greedy Nigerian car dealers add excessive profit margin on their cars. Compared to Cotonou dealers who focus on quick sales turnover.
-- Partial or total evasion of import duty at the land border.

If you buy a 2003 Toyota Camry from Cotonou, you will pay 500,000 Cefa as import duty to Benin Republic government. You will also pay another import duty to the Nigeria government if you follow the legal route. Both duties will not be less than N600k. Obviously, that’s higher than the N435k you will pay at TINCAN or Apapa port in Lagos. Thanks to the car crossers (Fayawo drivers) who help cross the cars at little or zero duty.

Note: The 500,000 Cefa duty in Cotonou is usually a flat fee so it is insignificant to importers of expensive and exotic cars. So, a 2016 G-Wagon owner will prefer to smuggle through Cotonou with N2 million instead of paying N21 million in Apapa port.

4. Locally Assembled Cars:
The bigwigs that smuggle these exotic cars can as well buy brand new cars that are assembled in Nigeria. Federal Government wants them to patronise Innoson Motors, Peugeot Nigeria, Stallion Motors, Eastern Vehicle Assembling Limited (EVAL) etc. This will create jobs and reduce the demand for dollar.

5. Add Your Own:
Tell us your own reason why you think car importation through land border should or should not be banned.

https://autojosh.com/car-importation-through-land-border/

Cc
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Car dealers in Nigeria tempers with their cars by removing some of the original parts and replaced them with inferior ones, while they'll sale the original parts separately
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by Nobody: 8:32am On Dec 16, 2016
stpat1:
If only people can sit and critically think about the positive aspect of the decision, they won't have to complain.
I welcome the decision.
You that have thought critically, what are the positives?
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by tmanis(m): 8:33am On Dec 16, 2016
I, for one, would like to see a car I want to buy, I wouldn't want to wait for a long time to for a car I'm 'importing' arrive.. hypertension is real... cotounu dealers too suppose chop nah...
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by dotedote: 8:52am On Dec 16, 2016
''Note: The 500,000 Cefa duty in Cotonou is usually a flat fee so it is insignificant to importers of expensive and exotic cars. So, a 2016 G-Wagon owner will prefer to smuggle through Cotonou with N2 million instead of paying N21 million in Apapa port"

You just showed your level of bias in your write-up. Why would i ever wanna bring my 2015 Camry in through Tincan with N2.4m when i can easily pay the cfa 480,000 (N369,000) plus the N1.250m to Nigerian Customs and drive my car into the country by myself.
Like many people have pointed it out, this ban would only keep enriching the ever-greedy customs officials and also make the car smugglers laugh at how stupid the government is.
I dare you to pay a visit to Idi-iroko and Seme borders and gather your facts and come back here to edit your points.
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by Nobody: 8:54am On Dec 16, 2016
21 million for what...why iscustom duty so expensive
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by nextprince: 9:41am On Dec 16, 2016
lifezone247:

Thank you brother. These are what should dominate discussions on nl; educating those who know little or nothing about some issues with a view of finding a way out when one is trapped in such situations. Honestly, I know nothing about these illicit deals in vehicle importation cos my job is not related to that but the idea of smuggling vehicles from Tincan to Seme Border to evade exorbitant custom charges is the least I expect. Wonderful!!!
In summary, it is cheaper to go through that process than simply getting the vehicle cleared at the port, implying that custom duties at the ports are throat-cutting, hmm. Nawao.
May God save us in this country.
I have learnt a trick and this is coming at the right time.
Tnx.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by nextprince: 9:50am On Dec 16, 2016
Undisputed001:
Nigerians are people with inherent sophisticated ignorance.
It has been further compounded by perpetual failure to drop the toga of a looser being manifested by Jonathanians.
These are the reasons why they can't give robust arguments to buttress their point but readily resort to abusive and gutter languages.
Let them continue.
Even Lee Kwon Young had critics before they were put to embarrassing shame by his exceptional performance.
So, my fingers are crossed till 2018.

Bro, u just drop am the way the mama born am.
That is just the perfect description of our situation.
May God help us.

1 Like

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by dmark4real: 9:52am On Dec 16, 2016
Instead of us running away from our problems which we would meet where we are going to in double fold, we shud face d land border issues, beef up d security measures address d issues of irregularities at d border and "#make it work". Since d announcement d seaport giant are waiting developing means whereby to thrive on corrupt measures. Even a robot can be corrupt, its a matter of hacking and reprogramming not to talk of humans. Let "#makeourborderswork"

1 Like

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by bashydemy(m): 9:53am On Dec 16, 2016
veekid:

gullible excuses from the dullard. Happney65; can you imagine? Do we complain of bn too expensive? #yeye

You are the gullible and dllard here, I based in cotonou and am into car business too but i will never support another growth at the expense of my own country, Nigeria economy is benefiting little or nothing from importing cars through Cotonou, We have 6 seaports in Nigeria and Benin Republic have just one and we still buying from them growing their economy and our own economy is going down by the day..

The OP is right and the ban should remain.. Most of those senators import big and expensive cars through Cotonou so as to evade duty and we want our country to grow..

1 Like

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by ozimec(m): 10:05am On Dec 16, 2016
AutoJoshNG:
When the rich lament about the ban of car importation through land border, I always understand their plight. However, for the average Nigerian that intends to buy that 2003 Toyota Camry… You need not worry because you didn’t even have any real benefit before the ban.

Reasons car importation through land border was banned:

1. Only Politicians and Top Government Officials truly benefitted:
These guys smuggle brand new cars through the land border like pure water. In 2014, I went to Ilaro for the first time and slept over. You won’t believe over 100 brand new Land Cruiser and Prado SUVs were smuggled into the country through that route that day. The vehicles came in around 6 pm and were parked in a large compound until they departed at midnight. The residents told me most of those cars were going to Abuja. As the owner of the compound was an official smuggler for the politicians.

2. Corruption, Leakages and Smuggling:
You do not want to imagine how much corruption has been going on at that Seme border. The Custom officials are just getting richer at the expense of the country.

Leakages and pillages everywhere. Custom exploiting smugglers and smugglers killing Custom officials in return. It has even become a battle field with over 70 Custom officers killed in 2016 alone.

3. Double Duty Makes an Cotonou Cars More Expensive:
Are you among those who think Cotonou cars are cheaper? Wake up, It’s a myth.

This is the logic. Cars in Cotonou are not sourced from space. They are imported from USA, Canada and Europe. This means, Lagos and Cotonou bound cars are bought from the same market… at similar prices. Shipping cost is also not different.. I know this because I have shipped to both locations. So how can a Cotonou car be cheaper? The answers are simple:

-- Some greedy Nigerian car dealers add excessive profit margin on their cars. Compared to Cotonou dealers who focus on quick sales turnover.
-- Partial or total evasion of import duty at the land border.

If you buy a 2003 Toyota Camry from Cotonou, you will pay 500,000 Cefa as import duty to Benin Republic government. You will also pay another import duty to the Nigeria government if you follow the legal route. Both duties will not be less than N600k. Obviously, that’s higher than the N435k you will pay at TINCAN or Apapa port in Lagos. Thanks to the car crossers (Fayawo drivers) who help cross the cars at little or zero duty.

Note: The 500,000 Cefa duty in Cotonou is usually a flat fee so it is insignificant to importers of expensive and exotic cars. So, a 2016 G-Wagon owner will prefer to smuggle through Cotonou with N2 million instead of paying N21 million in Apapa port.

4. Locally Assembled Cars:
The bigwigs that smuggle these exotic cars can as well buy brand new cars that are assembled in Nigeria. Federal Government wants them to patronise Innoson Motors, Peugeot Nigeria, Stallion Motors, Eastern Vehicle Assembling Limited (EVAL) etc. This will create jobs and reduce the demand for dollar.

5. Add Your Own:
Tell us your own reason why you think car importation through land border should or should not be banned.

https://autojosh.com/car-importation-through-land-border/

Cc
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy

I disagree with in you. Point number 3 isn't correct. Apapa or Tin can imported cars are far costlier than Cotonu imported cars brother.
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by bashydemy(m): 10:06am On Dec 16, 2016
buharimustlive:
That is the world dullest president way of diversifying the economy.

The Senate should quickly impeach and sack KEMI ADEOSUN, what kind of dull minister of finance is she....

LOL daft reasoning, Senate should impeach Adeosun? i swear you guys lack sense of reasoning i swear..

sp paying money to another country will help out economy? Sorry from January first no more fayawo job for your brothers including me but i don't care..
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by bashydemy(m): 10:23am On Dec 16, 2016
kokaneprodigy:
This doesn't make sense to me, I brought in my car through cotonou and paid all duties on the car. All your reasons further buttress the fact that we have an irresponsible government. Have u ever heard of land-locked countries? these countries do not have access to sea, thereby import everything through land borders. Will such countries shut down land borders due to leakages as well?

The Government is simply telling us our land borders are porous and there is nothing they can do about it. its the height of irresponsibility. This policy will only make the already jam-packed Apapa port more congested.

Bro we have 6 seaports in Nigeria and working on the 7th badagry seaport, I based in Cotonou and also into cars but our land borders are is not helping anything, Cars through land are short paid, We pay less at the border and it's due to corruption.. For example, 2010 Camry will be declared as 2002 and the value will be reduced so instead of paying for example 350-400k to Government account, We pay like 180k and settle the customs from office to office to get our papers approved.. also settle customs on the road..
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by bashydemy(m): 10:29am On Dec 16, 2016
web2X:
If the ban will make our economy better, that's alright.

It will not only better our economy but create more jobs for our youths..
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by bashydemy(m): 10:32am On Dec 16, 2016
coolexy2:
hope is favorable to common Nigerians

it will surely be favorable to Nigerians and create more jobs for our youths..
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by bashydemy(m): 10:35am On Dec 16, 2016
wagazala:
One sure thing is the ban won't stop smuggling. It will as a matter of fact only make those Custom Bosses / Officials richer.

It will to some extent, Even when there's no ban lots of cars was seize and impound at different custom warehouse..

With the bank custom will be on every roads checking papers and any cars without custom duty will be seized..
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by bashydemy(m): 10:42am On Dec 16, 2016
deeMarc:
How many people will buy innosson when cars like Toyota, Hyundai, Honda keep coming with different specs and modification..if the op were to be asked to choose between innosson and Toyota product...which would you choose?

We're all hypocrites in Nigeria. ...
Both the politicians and we the people. ..

But those cars you mention are also available in Nigeria and importers can import them through out seaports..
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by bashydemy(m): 10:45am On Dec 16, 2016
Pavore9:
The Kenyan government has mastered their art when it comes to car importation. All cars that are meant for their roads must come through their sea port as the vehicle is issued plate number while being cleared at the port.

Going to Tanzania, which is like going to Cotonu to buy cars is cheaper but you are expected to register that car in Tanzania before driving it into Kenya and then the car would be treated as a foreign car and by the time you will be regularly paying some crazy charges for driving a Tanzanian registered car in Kenya, you will not try to be smart again! cheesy

Exactly my brother, If the same measure is put in place in Nigeria, I swear nobody will patronize cotonou again..
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by Pavore9: 11:13am On Dec 16, 2016
bashydemy:

Exactly my brother, If the same measure is put in place in Nigeria, I swear nobody will patronize cotonou again..

That is the smart way to go for the FG. Any vehicle coming in from Cotonou should be registered in Benin Republic.

Once a car is imported and cleared in Kenya, it enters the database. So if l want to know who owns a car, all l need to know is the plate number then go online pay about $5 and l will get the history of that car right from where it was bought from , arrival at the sea port, its clearance, who it was sold to etc. With this selling stolen vehicles is very difficult in Kenya because you can easily car search online. If the ID of the seller of the car and the documentation does not match what is on the database.... red flag.

1 Like

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by princeonx: 12:32pm On Dec 16, 2016
Pavore9:
The Kenyan government has mastered their art when it comes to car importation. All cars that are meant for their roads must come through their sea port as the vehicle is issued plate number while being cleared at the port.

Going to Tanzania, which is like going to Cotonu to buy cars is cheaper but you are expected to register that car in Tanzania before driving it into Kenya and then the car would be treated as a foreign car and by the time you will be regularly paying some crazy charges for driving a Tanzanian registered car in Kenya, you will not try to be smart again! cheesy
Abeg use developed countries when giving example next time!! You dey use one ye.ye place give example of another ye.ye place angry
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by Pavore9: 12:38pm On Dec 16, 2016
princeonx:

Abeg use developed countries when giving example next time!! You dey use one ye.ye place give example of another ye.ye place angry

I peer compared with another African country! cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads / World’s First Child Car Seat With Built-in Airbags Goes On Sale Worldwide / Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.