Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,031 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:36 AM

5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned (21274 Views)

Car Importation Business / Has FG Lifted Ban On Vehicle Importation Through Land Borders,agents Pls Help. / Effects Of Ban On Importation Of Vehicles Through Land. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by lifezone247(m): 12:43pm On Dec 16, 2016
nextprince:

Thank you brother. These are what should dominate discussions on nl; educating those who know little or nothing about some issues with a view of finding a way out when one is trapped in such situations. Honestly, I know nothing about these illicit deals in vehicle importation cos my job is not related to that but the idea of smuggling vehicles from Tincan to Seme Border to evade exorbitant custom charges is the least I expect. Wonderful!!!
In summary, it is cheaper to go through that process than simply getting the vehicle cleared at the port, implying that custom duties at the ports are throat-cutting, hmm. Nawao.
May God save us in this country.
I have learnt a trick and this is coming at the right time.
Tnx.
Bro this thing is very simple, the op said he was at ilaro one night and saw more than 100 brand new Prado SUV trying to be smuggled in the country. And I remember him saying the duty paid in Cotonou is 500,000cfa regardless of the age and model of the car be it 2017 model it's still 500,000cfa which he is 100% right. Come to think of this, why not use the same initiatives here in Nigeria? 500,000 cfa is less than 400k Naira. If they do same at our seaport tell me who will want to ship his or her car to Cotonou again when you actually knw that you are gonna pay to clear in Cotonou and clear in Nigeria border for the double price of what you're suppose to pay in Nigeria instead. Make this thing parallel and affordable in the country and everyone will be happy.

1 Like

Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by hoodua467(m): 2:26pm On Dec 16, 2016
[quote author=AutoJoshNG post=51958681]When the rich lament about the ban of car importation through land border, I always understand their plight. However, for the average Nigerian that intends to buy that 2003 Toyota Camry… You need not worry because you didn’t even have any real benefit before the ban.

Reasons car importation through land border was banned:

1. Only Politicians and Top Government Officials truly benefitted:
These guys smuggle brand new cars through the land border like pure water. In 2014, I went to Ilaro for the first time and slept over. You won’t believe over 100 brand new Land Cruiser and Prado SUVs were smuggled into the country through that route that day. The vehicles came in around 6 pm and were parked in a large compound until they departed at midnight. The residents told me most of those cars were going to Abuja. As the owner of the compound was an official smuggler for the politicians.

2. Corruption, Leakages and Smuggling:
You do not want to imagine how much corruption has been going on at that Seme border. The Custom officials are just getting richer at the expense of the country.

Leakages and pillages everywhere. Custom exploiting smugglers and smugglers killing Custom officials in return. It has even become a battle field with over 70 Custom officers killed in 2016 alone.

3. Double Duty Makes an Cotonou Cars More Expensive:
Are you among those who think Cotonou cars are cheaper? Wake up, It’s a myth.

This is the logic. Cars in Cotonou are not sourced from space. They are imported from USA, Canada and Europe. This means, Lagos and Cotonou bound cars are bought from the same market… at similar prices. Shipping cost is also not different.. I know this because I have shipped to both locations. So how can a Cotonou car be cheaper? The answers are simple:

-- Some greedy Nigerian car dealers add excessive profit margin on their cars. Compared to Cotonou dealers who focus on quick sales turnover.
-- Partial or total evasion of import duty at the land border.

If you buy a 2003 Toyota Camry from Cotonou, you will pay 500,000 Cefa as import duty to Benin Republic government. You will also pay another import duty to the Nigeria government if you follow the legal route. Both duties will not be less than N600k. Obviously, that’s higher than the N435k you will pay at TINCAN or Apapa port in Lagos. Thanks to the car crossers (Fayawo drivers) who help cross the cars at little or zero duty.

Note: The 500,000 Cefa duty in Cotonou is usually a flat fee so it is insignificant to importers of expensive and exotic cars. So, a 2016 G-Wagon owner will prefer to smuggle through Cotonou with N2 million instead of paying N21 million in Apapa port.

4. Locally Assembled Cars:
The bigwigs that smuggle these exotic cars can as well buy brand new cars that are assembled in Nigeria. Federal Government wants them to patronise Innoson Motors, Peugeot Nigeria, Stallion Motors, Eastern Vehicle Assembling Limited (EVAL) etc. This will create jobs and reduce the demand for dollar.

5. Add Your Own:
Tell us your own reason why you think car importation through land border should or should not be banned.

https://autojosh.com/car-importation-through-land-border/

Cc
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy[/quote
A pr job
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by computerglobal(m): 7:39am On Dec 17, 2016
nextprince:

It should bother u bro since u drive too. U wouldn't understand now until when that one u drive is tired and need to be changed.

na so

Please so we can bring in cars from Cotonou
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by evilspirit: 5:00am On Mar 19, 2017
Y
Re: 5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned by jarkbauer: 5:09am On Mar 19, 2017
dotedote:
''Note: The 500,000 Cefa duty in Cotonou is usually a flat fee so it is insignificant to importers of expensive and exotic cars. So, a 2016 G-Wagon owner will prefer to smuggle through Cotonou with N2 million instead of paying N21 million in Apapa port"

You just showed your level of bias in your write-up. Why would i ever wanna bring my 2015 Camry in through Tincan with N2.4m when i can easily pay the cfa 480,000 (N369,000) plus the N1.250m to Nigerian Customs and drive my car into the country by myself.
Like many people have pointed it out, this ban would only keep enriching the ever-greedy customs officials and also make the car smugglers laugh at how stupid the government is.
I dare you to pay a visit to Idi-iroko and Seme borders and gather your facts and come back here to edit your points.

There was no bias in what he said,he explained why nobody would want to import cars via our ports which was the same thing you said. People prefer Cotonou because duty is too high in Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

World’s First Child Car Seat With Built-in Airbags Goes On Sale Worldwide / 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads / Oppression & Extortion By Edo State Traffic Management Agency (EDSTMA)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.