Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,260 members, 7,780,577 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:47 PM

Forced Evictions In Nigeria: Portharcourt, Rivers State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Forced Evictions In Nigeria: Portharcourt, Rivers State (1838 Views)

Lagos State Government Must Stop Wave Of Devastating Forced Evictions Amnestypic / Amnesty International Accuses Lagos Of Forceful Evictions With Demolition Of 300 / Port Harcourt Mass Evictions Possible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Forced Evictions In Nigeria: Portharcourt, Rivers State by Batubo(m): 8:23pm On Nov 15, 2009
Re: Forced Evictions In Nigeria: Portharcourt, Rivers State by Abagworo(m): 9:14pm On Nov 15, 2009
made up story.na wa!i have pictures i snapped of that place and it isnt fully bulldozed.people are still living there.all rivers people knew of plans to demolish those water fronts since 2007.
Re: Forced Evictions In Nigeria: Portharcourt, Rivers State by Ibime(m): 9:17pm On Nov 15, 2009
I hope all these people are compensated properly.
Re: Forced Evictions In Nigeria: Portharcourt, Rivers State by Nobody: 10:44pm On Nov 15, 2009
whatever they do, the river that runs through Woji area through rumubiakani pass that mini okoro police station must be cleaned and made accessible to THE PEOPLE for recreational purposes. That's where I love smoking in PH. Too bad you can't swim in it cause it's too dirty but just sitting in the sand by the river close to Bush bar is cool crazy!! Bush bar. Damn! That's a crazy spot in Woji.

Those structures are environmentally degrading cause they are not of good standards but if the government didn't provide an alternative for the people before bulldozing it, then shame on them. They are all following Fashola's foot steps not knowing it's a very thin line between being a good governor and an elitist.
Re: Forced Evictions In Nigeria: Portharcourt, Rivers State by Abagworo(m): 10:56pm On Nov 15, 2009
Ibime:

I hope all these people are compensated properly.

no way! most of those people do not own the land.they are not even from rivers state.government should just relocate them to etche.however if anyone has evidence of land acquisition he should be fully compensated.
Re: Forced Evictions In Nigeria: Portharcourt, Rivers State by becomrich15: 11:03pm On Nov 15, 2009
so that end the sorry about if ijaws are still in  rivers state.

so now they can remove the yorubas, edo, delta and bayelsa state into benin republic.

Can you give me a contact to that woman in the video. nigeriamail@hotmail.com

Re: Forced Evictions In Nigeria: Portharcourt, Rivers State by becomrich15: 11:05pm On Nov 15, 2009
see map

Re: Forced Evictions In Nigeria: Portharcourt, Rivers State by Ibime(m): 11:10pm On Nov 15, 2009
9jaganja:

whatever they do, the river that runs through Woji area through rumubiakani pass that mini okoro police station must be cleaned and made accessible to THE PEOPLE for recreational purposes. That's where I love smoking in PH. Too bad you can't swim in it cause it's too dirty but just sitting in the sand by the river close to Bush bar is cool crazy!! Bush bar. Damn! That's a crazy spot in Woji.

Woji is an Ikwerre land. If the conspiracy theorists are to be believed, this beautification project is only aimed at clearing out the Riverine peeps from PH. This video makes me wonder whether:

(a.) The people have been compensated.

or

(b.) They were compensated, but refused to move out.

It can only be one of the two, otherwise this is forced eviction.

Abagworo:

no way! most of those people do not own the land.they are not even from rivers state.government should just relocate them to etche.however if anyone has evidence of land acquisition he should be fully compensated.

Ngofaka is an Okrika land. . . . them peops are from Rivers State.
Re: Forced Evictions In Nigeria: Portharcourt, Rivers State by Abagworo(m): 11:26pm On Nov 15, 2009
Ibime:

Woji is an Ikwerre land. If the conspiracy theorists are to be believed, this beautification project is only aimed at clearing out the Riverine peeps from PH. This video makes me wonder whether:

or

yes of course but most people i see there are either akwa-cross or igbos.visit there and see for yourself.some bayelsa people also live there.however we are all nigerians.please dont believe those so-called conspiracy theory.
Re: Forced Evictions In Nigeria: Portharcourt, Rivers State by Ibime(m): 11:35pm On Nov 15, 2009
Abagworo:

yes of course but most people i see there are either akwa-cross or igbos.visit there and see for yourself.some bayelsa people also live there.however we are all nigerians.please dont believe those so-called conspiracy theory.

I know many non-indegenes live in them waterfronts but those sound like Ijaw accents to me.
Re: Forced Evictions In Nigeria: Portharcourt, Rivers State by Nobody: 11:53pm On Nov 15, 2009
Ibime:

or

Why should I care if Woji is an Ikwerre land or not? Woji is my hood and I don't care if it's Ikwerre or Igbo. I'm a Yoruba boy anyways but who cares? I get the most love from peeps there. I'm saying that river needs to be cleaned so it'll be more fun smoking there hahahahahahah (As if na my papa be Amaechi weh him go clean river side so I can smoke more there).
Re: Forced Evictions In Nigeria: Portharcourt, Rivers State by udezue(m): 11:54pm On Nov 15, 2009
What is it to destroy when the place is nothing but a cesspit? As long as they are given options to move to a provided location Amaechi can continue pursuing her.
Re: Forced Evictions In Nigeria: Portharcourt, Rivers State by Abagworo(m): 11:56pm On Nov 15, 2009
Abagworo:

Ibime:

I know many non-indegenes live in them waterfronts but those sound like Ijaw accents to me.

@bolded explains a lot.The real ngofakans should be compensated and not people from anambra,bayelsa or cross river state.i believe that the best compensation is for them(ngofakans) to first leave there temporarily and after completion of the estate should be given accomodation in their homeland.
Re: Forced Evictions In Nigeria: Portharcourt, Rivers State by udezue(m): 12:13am On Nov 16, 2009
Abagworo:

@bolded explains a lot.The real ngofakans should be compensated and not people from anambra,bayelsa or cross river state.i believe that the best compensation is for them(ngofakans) to first leave there temporarily and after completion of the estate should be given accomodation in their homeland.

Why should they not be compensated at all? If they have been living in that region for so long and I'm sure have spent the little they have to build up those sorry structures the government should at least give em some assistance based on humanitarian reasons. We need to stop this idea that if you from a neighboring state your rights and your existence should be made 2nd class or we should all simply opt for total balkanization of that entity then we know who is who.
Re: Forced Evictions In Nigeria: Portharcourt, Rivers State by becomrich15: 12:16am On Nov 16, 2009
9naija . it show you, that we are ready to split the country into two. since there are not more people in the waterfront to claim they want to be in benin republic. we leave . and give the north majority.
Re: Forced Evictions In Nigeria: Portharcourt, Rivers State by udezue(m): 12:19am On Nov 16, 2009
^^^Dude carry ur madness go and SHUT THE 4K UP. Damn it.
Re: Forced Evictions In Nigeria: Portharcourt, Rivers State by Ikengawo: 12:54am On Nov 16, 2009
if the structures are illegal they're illegal, there's nothing wrong with enforcing the law, most of the ppl there can do back to their village and live better then they are in the slum its just they want to seem like they're important by living in the city.

this is just white ppl trying to criminalize africans without knowing the situation at hand. go back to your village and be poor for your own ppl, dont come to a city and do what you can be doing there.
Re: Forced Evictions In Nigeria: Portharcourt, Rivers State by Okijajuju1(m): 1:26am On Nov 16, 2009
Its acceptable.

How much should they be compensated?? 2000naira each??
The government did them a favor by evacuating them. I'"d rather have an amusement park there than a slum.
Re: Forced Evictions In Nigeria: Portharcourt, Rivers State by Abagworo(m): 9:45am On Nov 16, 2009
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=159889

We are not going to see them as illegal occupants; we see them as genuine Rivers people who in search of land, may have been misled into buying land here. We are not going to look at who is right or wrong, but we are going to look at the lives of the people. We are going to buy the land from them at commercial rate and encourage them to look for land elsewhere,” he said.
Re: Forced Evictions In Nigeria: Portharcourt, Rivers State by back2back(f): 1:37pm On Nov 16, 2009
Too late, you should be talking about 'How OBJ signed away Bakassi' and destroy the people of that place.

Thats one of the worse 'self-forced-eviction' in the world!

(1) (Reply)

True Fact About The Ailing President Umaru Yar’adua / Jonathan Abandons FEC Meeting For Anambra Campaign / 2015: Shema, Amosun Will Be President, Vice President, Says Prophet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.