Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,797 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:44 PM

How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 (46194 Views)

How Much Will It Cost To Build A 3 Bedroom Flat In Benin City? / How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little / Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 9:12pm On Dec 16, 2016
Based on the many questions asked the last time out (see: https://www.nairaland.com/3502464/how-build-comfortable-house-earning ) we would go more into details, best working practice, cost implications and questions & answer using the attached plan as our case studies.... i.e we would arrive at an approximate cost of building the house attached.

(We would not be considering government determined processes e.g approval - it is practically impossible to get that info here - visit your local authorities for help)

No1: Preliminaries:
Under Preliminaries we refer to those activities that should be done, considered or made ready before the actual construction process begins. Most times we ignore this process forgetting how important it is. On a couple of occasion, I've visited people's site to help with foundation works only to discover there is a big tree or root where the building is located..

Other times, there is no access to drop materials or there is no provision for water (both for work and for workers to have their bath)

Now what are the important preliminaries we would be considering?

* Clear the bushes, cut the trees & uproot, except trees fall about 3m from building location.
* Buy a small tank for water storage or rent one for the time being (we would safe cash on this later).
* Ensure the tipper delivering materials can get to your site i.e all materials are dropped on your site.
* Ensure you negotiate with the Omo-onile on how much you're expected to pay before the day of foundation - but preferably, don't give them the money until the day of actual foundation works. Most times there is a fraction, and the fraction that didnt get the money would still disturb you. Giving while work is ongoing is perfect because both fraction would have representatives present.

COST IMPLICATION:
* Clearing and uprooting of trees (N5,000-7N,000 would clear your site while N10,000 would clear and uproot all trees)
* Water (find out how much a small tank goes for but it cost about N3,000 to rent & fill a tank of water)
* Workmen usually charge you extra if the material is not dropped on your site, because they also have to pay workers to move the material to the site. This sometimes is a lot we're talking about.
* Omo-onile could charge as much as N50k to 100k depending on your location.

>> Labour Cost: 10k

SUMMARY: The cost in this section are dependent on so many factors; its almost impossible to put a figure to it; my advice would be to safe about N100k for this section; most of that being fees paid to Omo-onile.

No2: Works Below Ground

Works in this sections include (but not limited to)
a. Setting Out
b. Digging
c. Foundation
d. Block-works to foundation
e. Filling
f. German floor

A. Setting Out: The bricklayers claim we waste money by using profiles (setting out using wood and ropes) but they often create problems with their method of setting out using blocks. Since this thread is not about anybody but professional practices, we'll consider setting out with profiles.

Materials Needed: (Based on the attached design)
1x12 plank = 4pcs, each sliced into 4 each.
Pegs = 32 pcs approx 3 dozen
Nails = 2" and 3" - buy about N1000 worth
Ropes = 4 bundles each at about N200

Workmen Needed:
One carpenter or anyone that can handle the hammer = Daily pay
One experienced Supervisor = If its an experienced bricklayer Zero Naira except he's not also doing the actual work, if you're getting a supervisor for this price would be around N10k.
The diggers or at least one of them = Cost wld be analyzed below.

COST IMPLICATION:
* Planks: 4 x 1200 = 4800
Cost of Slicing per line = N70 x 3lines = N210 x 4planks = N840
* Pegs: 3 dozens x 1200 = 3600
* Nails = N1000
* Ropes = N1000

>> Labour Cost - 12.5K

With a total of about N11,500 (material cost) - paying this amount to ensure your house is properly set out isn't bad investment - if your bricklayer is experienced thats good, you can however get someone to set it out for you for additional N5-N10K depending on your relationship with him or her. (Personally I do this most time for free if I designed the structure to ensure some in-experienced guys don't spoil/change my hard worked design)

B. Digging: The books recommend about 900mm depth for foundation but practically, its almost impossible to achieve this on very solid soil we're considering. If you can get your workers to achieve 450mm - 600mm depth great and a width of 675mm

If your plan like mine is to do a German floor, there is no need to dig out some wall partition - but if you have a plan to continue without German floor, then all wall partition should be dug (although I don't advice my clients to use the second method; I must be realistic that it comes with an initial cost most are not willing to spend)

ADVICE: I still recommend using experienced guys, people who are used to digging foundation (don't get the Hausa guy that cleared your site to dig because he did a good clearing work, or the Ibo / Yoruba guy because he claims he's done it before). The advantages are those doing this work are:
- Quicker
- They dig straight and ensure a level surface (makes it easy for the bricklayer)
- Saves time and material
- They charge appropriately.

The attached structure would cost you about 30K to dig; with six (6) quality hands digging, you should have it completed in a day or early hours of day 2; still in time for the foundation (concrete pouring) works.

COST IMPLICATION:
* Digging = N30,000 - N35,000
* Water for workmen = N1,000 (about 5 bags of pure water).

>> Labour cost - N35k

Note: We would give individual cost, but after each section add up to help your bargaining power - it means if all works sum up to say 30 naira, you can give all works out to the bricklayer at 25 naira - you're only asking for discount for giving him so much at once. #wink

C. Foundation: This is the first of many important works and where most people unnecessary save material and money; infact most bricklayers would even help you save here NOT BECAUSE THEY CARE but because it means less work for them at the same price of the actual work.

Normally the standard foundation thickness should be at about 150 - 175mm for bungalows (remember we're building on solid soil) yet you find some people using as little as 50mm - 75mm ie 2" - 3" - You end up using about 15 bags of cement, then claim the professional wanted to cheat you by recommending 35 bags - NO; the professionals' calculation was based on a standard 150mm thick foundation, what you did was 50mm or 75mm. Lets hope your house can withstand the weight to come.

MY ADVICE: Ensure your bricklayer starts from one corner and transfer levels across to the others - to ensure a level plain for the block works, if the foundation was dug well leveled, this should be a easy process. Every good bricklayer knows the importance of having a level plain; cheap labour is most times bad for the job. avoid picking your workmen based on cost only, especially if you're doing it yourself.

Materials Needed:
Volume of Concrete = 101.55m x 0.675m x 0.10m = 6.85m3 (based on attached design)
Cement (approx) = 27 - 30 bags
Sand: 20 tonnes (this should serve for all works minus German floor)
Granite: 30 tonnes (recommended) or 15 tonnes (being the minimum you should purchase)

* If you cant afford Granite, then buy Double tipper of gravel, however ask your supplier to ensure it doesn't have too much of sand, you could add the phrase "I'll reject it if sand is too much" - makes the supplier more alert to ensuring you get the best possible. Don't expect a miracle, gravel are mined with sand.

COST IMPLICATION:
Material Cost:
Granite (15 tonnes) = 60k - 65k
Granite (30 tonnes) = about 110k - 125k
Gravel (Double tipper) = 35k to Ikorodu;
Sharp sand (Double tipper) = 30k in Ikorodu; 55k to Mowe/Ibafo
Cement = N2,350 / bag (including transportation)

>> Labour cost - 25k

Note: Depending on your negotiation with your bricklayer, you might have to pay for renting of tools eg shovels, wheelbarrow etc, however, this shouldn't cost too much its about N100-N200 per day for most tools.

D. Block-works to Foundation: My recommendation here is even when you intend to build with 150mm (6"wink blocks, ensure you use quality 225mm (9"wink blocks for the foundation. We can't guarantee the strongest 6" is what you've brought so; spend a little more and safe your building. (I am aware that Ghanaian however build with 6" - solid block even in storey building)

Materials Needed:
9" Block @ 4 courses = 910 pcs (including waste). 9" cost btw N150 - N180 while 6" cost about N160 each, depending on quality and location.
Cement = 15 bags should do the job (Most times, there is a few left over from the foundation - so you'll only buy the balance) - Don't forget all calculation considers waste, so the less you waste, they more you save.

Sand? No, we've got enough

>> Labour cost - 50k

Since I recommended in my previous article that we negotiate all works above at once, lets see how much labour cost we have:
Setting out = 10k
Digging = 35k
Foundation = 25k
Block setting = 50k (see previous post if you need a hint on how we arrived at 50k)

Total: 122.5k we didn't add the 10k for site clearing (Now, how well can you negotiate?) - Put that to good use.

E. Filling: I actually don't advice anyone buys filling solely for this purpose, you would dig your septic tank / soak away one day, where would you put the filling? Probably pay to get it out of your site or sell at very cheap price. SO! DIG YOUR SEPTIC TANK and use the discarded filling for this purpose.

If you don't get enough filling to level your site, you'll only need to buy a few more trucks. see No3 below for detail of material and cost implication on septic tank.

Note: If you're using this option, then ensure you have enough cash to complete the septic tank/soak away 90% - 10% being the slab cover.

F. German floor: I recommend you do this, but I most also note that it comes with some cost implication. We'll analyze the cost below, then you can weigh your pocket.

Total Floor Area: 113.63m2
Volume of Concrete: 11.34m3

We'll try and generate a rate per m3 in-case you have a different design and volume.....hmmm, that rate would be N2500. (pls note that this rate does not work for decking and doesn't work if you're using machine)

Keep 5K at hand, the omo oniles' no dey take eye see concrete...

COST IMPLICATION:
Materials Needed:
Cement: 35 - 40 bags (4" thick)
Sand: 20 tonnes
Granite: 15 tonnes (but if you brought 30 tonnes initially, you're covered)

>> Labour Cost: 30K

No3: Septic Tank & Soak Away

Lets pick a size; but depending on your site that site might vary. In the previous article, my cousin had very little setback (remember I told you the site is less than half plots (18x18) - so, we picked a narrow width and a very long length to compensate.

Let's use Septic-Tank size of 2.4m width 3.0m length x 3.0m depth and Soak-Away 1.8m x 1.8m x 1.8m

COST IMPLICATION:
Materials Needed:
Septic Tank = 280 (9" blocks) & Soak away = 110 (6" blocks)
Cement = 8 bags (including concrete footing for septic tank and plastering of the inside)
Note: only septic tank has a concrete base, as the name implies soak-away is left natural so the water can be soaked into the underworld. #wink

>> Labour Cost:
* Bricklayer = 33.5k (all inclusive plus plastering) Normally I'll pay less, the bricklayer has justed finished foundation works and he's assured of the super-structure, this is where I tell him, look - you have a lot to do together, I can only pay 25k for all works....
* Digging only = 20k-25k

GENERAL SUMMARY: (Using the highest options i.e If cost above says 30k-50k; we'll be using 50k for this section)

TOTAL MATERIAL COST: N721,590
TOTAL LABOUR COST: N331,000

I EXPECT YOU WOULD SPEND LESS, BECAUSE WE USED THE WORST CASE SCENARIO.

Attached:
1. 3 Bedroom design used for this calculation
2. Excel Sheet for Break-Down

Note:
* Follow this thread or my account - we would not close this thread until we have completely built this house online. (Foundation - Painting) using Construction standards only.
* Our site is assumed to be a very solid clayey soil (if your site is waterlogged, swampy or sandy - discuss with a professional on visiting your site or share pictures here for help)

No4: Super Structure (Blockworks)

WE WOULD CONTINUE FROM THE ABOVE WORK ON THIS SAME THREAD NEXT WEEK; ASK YOUR QUESTIONS NOW.

Thanks.
I am an Architect for those who would be asking....

23 Likes 9 Shares

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 9:17pm On Dec 16, 2016
updates:

1. Block-works (super-structure) added

2. Added cost of Roofing using Aluminum long span

3. Latest Update; Cost of Windows, Doors and Burglary was added

4. Latest Update; Cost of Tiling entire Floor and Toilet Walls (only)

5. Latest Update; Added cost of plastering (internal and external walls)

UPDATES / BREAKDOWN:
How to calculate your blocks >> https://www.nairaland.com/4191428/how-calculate-how-many-blocks
Construction of a hostel in pics >> https://www.nairaland.com/4133188/construction-6self-contain-hostel-frm-start
Cement, Granite or Gravel mix explained >> https://www.nairaland.com/3630752/cement-sand-granite-concrete-mix
Choosing The Right Foundation For That Project Type & Soil >> https://www.nairaland.com/4351676/choosing-right-foundation-project-type
Calculating and choice of Tiles >> https://www.nairaland.com/5420029/how-calculate-quantity-tiles-needed
Calculating the quantity of roofing material >> https://www.nairaland.com/4778694/how-practically-calculate-quantity-m2
Calculating Ceiling materials >> https://www.nairaland.com/4256068/how-calculate-quantity-cost-asbestors
Why did 'his' building collapse? >> https://www.nairaland.com/5002180/what-did-he-wrong-why#75409104
Building your comfortable housing - Part 4 >> https://www.nairaland.com/7690775/diy-practical-class-estimating-comfortable

10 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by Ebiragirl(f): 9:35pm On Dec 16, 2016
Hmm Still reading www.realestogram.com
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by greenermodels: 10:09pm On Dec 16, 2016
saydfact:
NOW LETS DISCUSS ? ONCE WE'RE OK, WE CONTINUE BUILDING
good job, following.
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by Imoy(m): 10:17am On Dec 17, 2016
This is realy interesting.

Would be starting my project next year,
My location is in the north, kaduna to be precise.

This your thread is really helpful.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by Imoy(m): 10:43am On Dec 17, 2016
At my site location, there is noting like omonile, so dat expenses no follow.

However i have a question.
Can one postponed the german floor till maybe after roofing?

Because a collegue of mine told me u can fill your foundation blocks with concrete, then cover the concrete with a polytene nylon, then add the thickness of the concrete u want to use for german floor only on the foundation block bfre laying your blocks.

Atfer roofing, you can come back to now do the german floor on each room.

Pls is dis adviceable?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 10:56am On Dec 17, 2016
Imoy:
At my site location, there is noting like omonile, so dat expenses no follow.

However i have a question.
Can one postponed the german floor till maybe after roofing?

Because a collegue of mine told me u can fill your foundation blocks with concrete, then cover the concrete with a polytene nylon, then add the thickness of the concrete u want to use for german floor only on the foundation block bfre laying your blocks.

Atfer roofing, you can come back to now do the german floor on each room.

Pls is dis adviceable?

It is not profession to skip the German floor, but what your friend told you is a good way to go (if sincerely you cant afford the German floor). By following your friend's method you have succeeded in keeping out underground animals like termite, underground moist etc to a larger percentage compared to not doing it at all.

Summary: If cost is an issue, follow ur friends method - if not, do the German floor.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by mrnuur(m): 11:24am On Dec 17, 2016
saydfact:
Based on the many questions asked the last time out (see: https://www.nairaland.com/3502464/how-build-comfortable-house-earning ) we would go more into details, best working practice, cost implications and questions & answer using the attached plan as our case studies.... i.e we would arrive at an approximate cost of building the house attached.

(We would not be considering government determined processes e.g approval - it is practically impossible to get that info here - visit your local authorities for help)

No1: Preliminaries:
Under Preliminaries we refer to those activities that should be done, considered or made ready before the actual construction process begins. Most times we ignore this process forgetting how important it is. On a couple of occasion, I've visited people's site to help with foundation works only to discover there is a big tree or root where the building is located..

Other times, there is no access to drop materials or there is no provision for water (both for work and for workers to have their bath)

Now what are the important preliminaries we would be considering?

* Clear the bushes, cut the trees & uproot, except trees fall about 3m from building location.
* Buy a small tank for water storage or rent one for the time being (we would safe cash on this later).
* Ensure the tipper delivering materials can get to your site i.e all materials are dropped on your site.
* Ensure you negotiate with the Omo-onile on how much you're expected to pay before the day of foundation - but preferably, don't give them the money until the day of actual foundation works. Most times there is a fraction, and the fraction that didnt get the money would still disturb you. Giving while work is ongoing is perfect because both fraction would have representatives present.

COST IMPLICATION:
* Clearing and uprooting of trees (N5,000-7N,000 would clear your site while N10,000 would clear and uproot all trees)
* Water (find out how much a small tank goes for but it cost about N3,000 to rent & fill a tank of water)
* Workmen usually charge you extra if the material is not dropped on your site, because they also have to pay workers to move the material to the site. This sometimes is a lot we're talking about.
* Omo-onile could charge as much as N50k to 100k depending on your location.

>> Labour Cost: 10k

SUMMARY: The cost in this section are dependent on so many factors; its almost impossible to put a figure to it; my advice would be to safe about N100k for this section; most of that being fees paid to Omo-onile.

No2: Works Below Ground

Works in this sections include (but not limited to)
a. Setting Out
b. Digging
c. Foundation
d. Block-works to foundation
e. Filling
f. German floor

A. Setting Out: The bricklayers claim we waste money by using profiles (setting out using wood and ropes) but they often create problems with their method of setting out using blocks. Since this thread is not about anybody but professional practices, we'll consider setting out with profiles.

Materials Needed: (Based on the attached design)
1x12 plank = 4pcs, each sliced into 4 each.
Pegs = 32 pcs approx 3 dozen
Nails = 2" and 3" - buy about N1000 worth
Ropes = 4 bundles each at about N200

Workmen Needed:
One carpenter or anyone that can handle the hammer = Daily pay
One experienced Supervisor = If its an experienced bricklayer Zero Naira except he's not also doing the actual work, if you're getting a supervisor for this price would be around N10k.
The diggers or at least one of them = Cost wld be analyzed below.

COST IMPLICATION:
* Planks: 4 x 1200 = 4800
Cost of Slicing per line = N70 x 3lines = N210 x 4planks = N840
* Pegs: 3 dozens x 1200 = 3600
* Nails = N1000
* Ropes = N1000

>> Labour Cost - 12.5K

With a total of about N11,500 (material cost) - paying this amount to ensure your house is properly set out isn't bad investment - if your bricklayer is experienced thats good, you can however get someone to set it out for you for additional N5-N10K depending on your relationship with him or her. (Personally I do this most time for free if I designed the structure to ensure some in-experienced guys don't spoil/change my hard worked design)

B. Digging: The books recommend about 900mm depth for foundation but practically, its almost impossible to achieve this on very solid soil we're considering. If you can get your workers to achieve 450mm - 600mm depth great and a width of 675mm

If your plan like mine is to do a German floor, there is no need to dig out some wall partition - but if you have a plan to continue without German floor, then all wall partition should be dug (although I don't advice my clients to use the second method; I must be realistic that it comes with an initial cost most are not willing to spend)

ADVICE: I still recommend using experienced guys, people who are used to digging foundation (don't get the Hausa guy that cleared your site to dig because he did a good clearing work, or the Ibo / Yoruba guy because he claims he's done it before). The advantages are those doing this work are:
- Quicker
- They dig straight and ensure a level surface (makes it easy for the bricklayer)
- Saves time and material
- They charge appropriately.

The attached structure would cost you about 30K to dig; with six (6) quality hands digging, you should have it completed in a day or early hours of day 2; still in time for the foundation (concrete pouring) works.

COST IMPLICATION:
* Digging = N30,000 - N35,000
* Water for workmen = N1,000 (about 5 bags of pure water).

>> Labour cost - N35k

Note: We would give individual cost, but after each section add up to help your bargaining power - it means if all works sum up to say 30 naira, you can give all works out to the bricklayer at 25 naira - you're only asking for discount for giving him so much at once. #wink

C. Foundation: This is the first of many important works and where most people unnecessary save material and money; infact most bricklayers would even help you save here NOT BECAUSE THEY CARE but because it means less work for them at the same price of the actual work.

Normally the standard foundation thickness should be at about 150 - 175mm for bungalows (remember we're building on solid soil) yet you find some people using as little as 50mm - 75mm ie 2" - 3" - You end up using about 15 bags of cement, then claim the professional wanted to cheat you by recommending 35 bags - NO; the professionals' calculation was based on a standard 150mm thick foundation, what you did was 50mm or 75mm. Lets hope your house can withstand the weight to come.

MY ADVICE: Ensure your bricklayer starts from one corner and transfer levels across to the others - to ensure a level plain for the block works, if the foundation was dug well leveled, this should be a easy process. Every good bricklayer knows the importance of having a level plain; cheap labour is most times bad for the job. avoid picking your workmen based on cost only, especially if you're doing it yourself.

Materials Needed:
Volume of Concrete = 101.55m x 0.675m x 0.10m = 6.85m3 (based on attached design)
Cement (approx) = 27 - 30 bags
Sand: 20 tonnes (this should serve for all works minus German floor)
Granite: 30 tonnes (recommended) or 15 tonnes (being the minimum you should purchase)

* If you cant afford Granite, then buy Double tipper of gravel, however ask your supplier to ensure it doesn't have too much of sand, you could add the phrase "I'll reject it if sand is too much" - makes the supplier more alert to ensuring you get the best possible. Don't expect a miracle, gravel are mined with sand.

COST IMPLICATION:
Material Cost:
Granite (15 tonnes) = 60k - 65k
Granite (30 tonnes) = about 110k - 125k
Gravel (Double tipper) = 35k to Ikorodu;
Sharp sand (Double tipper) = 30k in Ikorodu; 55k to Mowe/Ibafo
Cement = N2,350 / bag (including transportation)

>> Labour cost - 25k

Note: Depending on your negotiation with your bricklayer, you might have to pay for renting of tools eg shovels, wheelbarrow etc, however, this shouldn't cost too much its about N100-N200 per day for most tools.

D. Block-works to Foundation: My recommendation here is even when you intend to build with 150mm (6"wink blocks, ensure you use quality 225mm (9"wink blocks for the foundation. We can't guarantee the strongest 6" is what you've brought so; spend a little more and safe your building. (I am aware that Ghanaian however build with 6" - solid block even in storey building)

Materials Needed:
9" Block @ 4 courses = 910 pcs (including waste). 9" cost btw N150 - N180 while 6" cost about N160 each, depending on quality and location.
Cement = 15 bags should do the job (Most times, there is a few left over from the foundation - so you'll only buy the balance) - Don't forget all calculation considers waste, so the less you waste, they more you save.

Sand? No, we've got enough

>> Labour cost - 50k

Since I recommended in my previous article that we negotiate all works above at once, lets see how much labour cost we have:
Setting out = 10k
Digging = 35k
Foundation = 25k
Block setting = 50k (see previous post if you need a hint on how we arrived at 50k)

Total: 122.5k we didn't add the 10k for site clearing (Now, how well can you negotiate?) - Put that to good use.

E. Filling: I actually don't advice anyone buys filling solely for this purpose, you would dig your septic tank / soak away one day, where would you put the filling? Probably pay to get it out of your site or sell at very cheap price. SO! DIG YOUR SEPTIC TANK and use the discarded filling for this purpose.

If you don't get enough filling to level your site, you'll only need to buy a few more trucks. see No3 below for detail of material and cost implication on septic tank.

Note: If you're using this option, then ensure you have enough cash to complete the septic tank/soak away 90% - 10% being the slab cover.

F. German floor: I recommend you do this, but I most also note that it comes with some cost implication. We'll analyze the cost below, then you can weigh your pocket.

Total Floor Area: 113.63m2
Volume of Concrete: 11.34m3

We'll try and generate a rate per m3 in-case you have a different design and volume.....hmmm, that rate would be N2500. (pls note that this rate does not work for decking and doesn't work if you're using machine)

Keep 5K at hand, the omo oniles' no dey take eye see concrete...

COST IMPLICATION:
Materials Needed:
Cement: 35 - 40 bags (4" thick)
Sand: 20 tonnes
Granite: 15 tonnes (but if you brought 30 tonnes initially, you're covered)

>> Labour Cost: 30K

No3: Septic Tank & Soak Away

Lets pick a size; but depending on your site that site might vary. In the previous article, my cousin had very little setback (remember I told you the site is less than half plots (18x18) - so, we picked a narrow width and a very long length to compensate.

Let's use Septic-Tank size of 2.4m width 3.0m length x 3.0m depth and Soak-Away 1.8m x 1.8m x 1.8m

COST IMPLICATION:
Materials Needed:
Septic Tank = 280 (9" blocks) & Soak away = 110 (6" blocks)
Cement = 8 bags (including concrete footing for septic tank and plastering of the inside)
Note: only septic tank has a concrete base, as the name implies soak-away is left natural so the water can be soaked into the underworld. #wink

>> Labour Cost:
* Bricklayer = 33.5k (all inclusive plus plastering) Normally I'll pay less, the bricklayer has justed finished foundation works and he's assured of the super-structure, this is where I tell him, look - you have a lot to do together, I can only pay 25k for all works....
* Digging only = 20k-25k

GENERAL SUMMARY: (Using the highest options i.e If cost above says 30k-50k; we'll be using 50k for this section)

TOTAL MATERIAL COST: N721,590
TOTAL LABOUR COST: N331,000

I EXPECT YOU WOULD SPEND LESS, BECAUSE WE USED THE WORST CASE SCENARIO.

Attached:
1. 3 Bedroom design used for this calculation
2. Excel Sheet for Break-Down

Note:
* Follow this thread or my account - we would not close this thread until we have completely built this house online. (Foundation - Painting) using Construction standards only.
* Our site is assumed to be a very solid clayey soil (if your site is waterlogged, swampy or sandy - discuss with a professional on visiting your site or share pictures here for help)

No4: Super Structure (Blockworks)

WE WOULD CONTINUE FROM THE ABOVE WORK ON THIS SAME THREAD NEXT WEEK; ASK YOUR QUESTIONS NOW.

Thanks.
I am an Architect for those who would be asking....

Pls can you give me list of current market prices of the major building materials. thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by Imoy(m): 12:16pm On Dec 17, 2016
saydfact:

It is not profession to skip the German floor, but what your friend told you is a good way to go (if sincerely you cant afford the German floor). By following your friend's method you have succeeded in keeping out underground animals like termite, underground moist etc to a larger percentage compared to not doing it at all.

Summary: If cost is an issue, follow ur friends method - if not, do the German floor.

Thanks.

Trying to save cost.

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 2:05pm On Dec 17, 2016
mrnuur:

Pls can you give me list of current market prices of the major building materials. thanks

I already gave all the relevant market prices needed so far... We wld give prices as we discuss per section or work. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by jospepper(m): 5:10pm On Dec 19, 2016
Following closely, quote me when you drop another one.

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 12:45am On Dec 22, 2016
contd:

No4: Super Structure (Block-works)

By super-structure we refer to all civil works above the German floor; this comprise majorly of block setting, lintel and columns.

From the design total numbers of blocks needed is calculated as:

9" Blocks = This particular design has 6" blocks used all round, however if what is preferred is 9", just multiple the factors by the price of 9" blocks as stated above.

6" Blocks (less openings) = 2000 blocks (including 10% waste)

* We'll work with the assumption that a bag of cement should set about 100 blocks.
hence: Cement needed should be approximately 20 bags

Its common practice to have your lintel tied round the external wall, while this is not equivalent to a beam (storey buildings) in bungalow it is not a bad ideal, If you're building a storey or more, I would not advice you do a lintel round the external walls because its total waste and it would never serve same purpose as a beam. Please take note.

For the purpose of this design, we would do a lintel on all external walls and the usual door, arc were required.

Volume of concrete = 1.98m3 = Approx 8 bags of cement. (If there is any place where columns should be used, it is at the terraces (entrances) and this should require an additional one bag).

Sand and Stone? Yes to sand (20 tonnes) but we should have enough granite on site to finish the project.

For the lintel its standard practice to have 4Y12 and 8mm rings at 200c/c; there are modern methods however that can save us some cash (we would not discuss those here, but you can ask to know later)

Reinforcement work: There is nothing special considering the building we're working on; see cost implication for summary thou.

Carpentry works: We need a carpenter to do the form-works to columns and lintel, that means we need woods too. (there are also methods we could use to reduce or almost eliminate this process, but conventionally we need to, we'll calculate for this work thou)

In recent years, house owners negotiate with the carpenter to provide the wood for the form works and they are charged appropriately, this is considered to be cheaper than buying your own wood, however the quality of work is by far better when new planks are used or brought by the house owner.

Whatever method you decide to use, ensure good wood is used, although you'll probably lose that power when you don't buy.

If you're buying, you could also buy half of the amount of planks needed - so you cast the first half, and use the same materials to cast the other half - labour charge might increase slightly if you don't have that bargaining power.

We'll work with a provisional sum of N50k for new woods needed in this section. (minus labour charge)

COST IMPLICATION:
Materials Needed:
* Blocks (6"wink = 2000pcs x N160 = N320,000
* Cement = 30 x N2350 = N70,500
* Reinforcement bars (12mm) = 25 x N1500 = N37,500 + Rings = N45,000 approx (we're spending this much because we decided to have our lintel round the structure; could be less if we choose to have it over openings only - with a slight increase in block-works thou)
* Sand: 20 Tonnes = N55,000
* Wood: N50,000 (provisional)

>> Labour: N120,000 (Bricklayer) personally, I'll pay less; its 6" block remember.
N10,000 (Iron Bender)
N20,000 (Carpenter)

TOTAL MATERIAL COST: N540,500
TOTAL LABOUR COST: N150,000

No5: Roofing (Aluminum)

We'll continue from this week next week. Thanks.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 12:47am On Dec 22, 2016
jospepper, Imoy, greenermodels,

Blockwork posted.
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by Imoy(m): 9:16am On Dec 22, 2016
You are doing a great job.

Keep it up

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by greenermodels: 12:17pm On Dec 22, 2016
saydfact:
contd:

No4: Super Structure (Block-works)

By super-structure we refer to all civil works above the German floor; this comprise majorly of block setting, lintel and columns.

From the design total numbers of blocks needed is calculated as:

9" Blocks = This particular design has 6" blocks used all round, however if what is preferred is 9", just multiple the factors by the price of 9" blocks as stated above.

6" Blocks (less openings) = 2000 blocks (including 10% waste)

* We'll work with the assumption that a bag of cement should set about 100 blocks.
hence: Cement needed should be approximately 20 bags

Its common practice to have your lintel tied round the external wall, while this is not equivalent to a beam (storey buildings) in bungalow it is not a bad ideal, If you're building a storey or more, I would not advice you do a lintel round the external walls because its total waste and it would never serve same purpose as a beam. Please take note.

For the purpose of this design, we would do a lintel on all external walls and the usual door, arc were required.

Volume of concrete = 1.98m3 = Approx 8 bags of cement. (If there is any place where columns should be used, it is at the terraces (entrances) and this should require an additional one bag).

Sand and Stone? Yes to sand (20 tonnes) but we should have enough granite on site to finish the project.

For the lintel its standard practice to have 4Y12 and 8mm rings at 200c/c; there are modern methods however that can save us some cash (we would not discuss those here, but you can ask to know later)

Reinforcement work: There is nothing special considering the building we're working on; see cost implication for summary thou.

Carpentry works: We need a carpenter to do the form-works to columns and lintel, that means we need woods too. (there are also methods we could use to reduce or almost eliminate this process, but conventionally we need to, we'll calculate for this work thou)

In recent years, house owners negotiate with the carpenter to provide the wood for the form works and they are charged appropriately, this is considered to be cheaper than buying your own wood, however the quality of work is by far better when new planks are used or brought by the house owner.

Whatever method you decide to use, ensure good wood is used, although you'll probably lose that power when you don't buy.

If you're buying, you could also buy half of the amount of planks needed - so you cast the first half, and use the same materials to cast the other half - labour charge might increase slightly if you don't have that bargaining power.

We'll work with a provisional sum of N50k for new woods needed in this section. (minus labour charge)

COST IMPLICATION:
Materials Needed:
* Blocks (6"wink = 2000pcs x N160 = N320,000
* Cement = 30 x N2350 = N70,500
* Reinforcement bars (12mm) = 25 x N1500 = N37,500 + Rings = N45,000 approx (we're spending this much because we decided to have our lintel round the structure; could be less if we choose to have it over openings only - with a slight increase in block-works thou)
* Sand: 20 Tonnes = N55,000
* Wood: N50,000 (provisional)

>> Labour: N120,000 (Bricklayer) personally, I'll pay less; its 6" block remember.
N10,000 (Iron Bender)
N20,000 (Carpenter)

TOTAL MATERIAL COST: N540,500
TOTAL LABOUR COST: N150,000

No5: Roofing (Aluminum)

We'll continue from this week next week. Thanks.
nice work, please add the total to the post. the roofing and finishing part would be iinteresting.

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by ShegzyB: 1:24pm On Dec 22, 2016
@saydfact,

thanks for this thread. I really appreciate It tremendously. It is really helpful cos I lately started considering building my own house. I thought my income is too small to think of building now but after reading this, im really motivated to start.
I already have a target plan sketched in MS powerpoint, it is very similar to what you posted here. I have taken what you posted and gone ahead to make changes to it with MS Paint (just the way I want it, your suggestions would also be welcomed and considered).
I have 2 plots of land each at 2 different locations in Port Harcourt. My plan is to sell 2, use the proceed to build on 1 plot and let the other plot appreciate over the coming years (future investment for my kids).

of course, the plan needs the professional's touch to bring it up to scale. One major difference now would be the cost of materials in PH compared to your case study.... it can be significant.

What do you think?..... definitely following this and if all goes to plan, I will keep you abreast of my intentions.

thanks again for sharing this. Oh, let me also state that I like the fact that you go with the professional options.... way to go, buddy.

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by val15: 2:28pm On Dec 22, 2016
Nice

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by greenermodels: 2:57pm On Dec 22, 2016
ShegzyB:
@saydfact,

thanks for this thread. I really appreciate It tremendously. It is really helpful cos I lately started considering building my own house. I thought my income is too small to think of building now but after reading this, im really motivated to start.
I already have a target plan sketched in MS powerpoint, it is very similar to what you posted here. I have taken what you posted and gone ahead to make changes to it with MS Paint (just the way I want it, your suggestions would also be welcomed and considered).
I have 2 plots of land each at 2 different locations in Port Harcourt. My plan is to sell 2, use the proceed to build on 1 plot and let the other plot appreciate over the coming years (future investment for my kids).

of course, the plan needs the professional's touch to bring it up to scale. One major difference now would be the cost of materials in PH compared to your case study.... it can be significant.

What do you think?..... definitely following this and if all goes to plan, I will keep you abreast of my intentions.

thanks again for sharing this. Oh, let me also state that I like the fact that you go with the professional options.... way to go, buddy.
the cost of materials is always the same but the cost of labour in ph is extremely high, the solution would be to hire a builder from let's say anambra or enugu to come with his own crew that would charge you anambra rates to work in ph.

4 Likes

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 7:30pm On Dec 22, 2016
@ ShegzyB

Thanks.... You have a nice plan on raising money from your property... Nice One.

The design you shared, in Nigeria we prefer our toilet windows leading directly outside...I'm not sure about your modification.. But if u don't mind, I'll modify it to suit your need for free... (one time offer)

Thanks for appreciating....

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 7:34pm On Dec 22, 2016
greenermodels:
the cost of materials is always the same but the cost of labour in ph is extremely high, the solution would be to hire a builder from let's say anambra or enugu to come with his own crew that would charge you anambra rates to work in ph.

Thanks for the help.... I agree, nice point.

Pls also note that the actions of 'area boys' / community youths in such volatile areas shd be considered before bringing 'foreigners' in.....
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by greenermodels: 8:14pm On Dec 22, 2016
saydfact:

Thanks for the help.... I agree, nice point.

Pls also note that the actions of 'area boys' / community youths in such volatile areas shd be considered before bringing 'foreigners' in.....
quite true.
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by coxlinda(m): 5:44pm On Dec 28, 2016
Following....God work sir kindly quote me when

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by ShegzyB: 5:06pm On Dec 29, 2016
saydfact:
@ ShegzyB

Thanks.... You have a nice plan on raising money from your property... Nice One.

The design you shared, in Nigeria we prefer our toilet windows leading directly outside...I'm not sure about your modification.. But if u don't mind, I'll modify it to suit your need for free... (one time offer)

Thanks for appreciating....

I actually tot about that part after taking a second look and I totally agree with you. the toilet window shd def lead directly outside. looks like the only comma on this design. And i'll sure like to take you up on your offer.

Mucho gracias!!

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by ShegzyB: 5:08pm On Dec 29, 2016
greenermodels:

Nice idea.

Noted!!
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 5:47pm On Dec 29, 2016
ShegzyB:

I actually tot about that part after taking a second look and I totally agree with you. the toilet window shd def lead directly outside. looks like the only comma on this design. And i'll sure like to take you up on your offer.

Mucho gracias!!

ur mail add, i'll contact u... regards
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by seunoj: 6:42pm On Dec 29, 2016
u ve done well. thanks for this thread.
This analysis is not far from what my builder has collected within the work details u be displayed.

I am following thus thread. Tnx

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 7:12pm On Dec 29, 2016
Bear with me, I'll upload the next Updates on roof soon.... Early next week.. Thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by Sikay19(m): 8:22pm On Dec 29, 2016
Thankz for the exposition . May God bless you
Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by eddyline(m): 2:27am On Dec 30, 2016
thanks for this thread. for someone that does not have enough funds to start a building project and take it to completion all at once, at what stages do you think is OK to take a pause, gather some more funds and continue so as to prevent degradation and pilferage? thanks

4 Likes

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by Bravoe(m): 7:36am On Dec 30, 2016
Wow! Nice Job you've done here.

Planning something similar on a half plot of land. Any suggestions with my plan?

1 Like

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by Dsrooftiles: 8:20am On Dec 30, 2016
Nice one from the Op

Current Price of Roofing Sheet in Nigeria.. See here >> https://www.nairaland.com/3364135/roofing-sheets-cost-various-types

See Samples of Roofing Tiles.. See here >> https://www.nairaland.com/3357472/collection-sample-stone-coated-roofing

2 Likes

Re: How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 by saydfact(m): 8:28am On Dec 30, 2016
eddyline:
thanks for this thread. for someone that does not have enough funds to start a building project and take it to completion all at once, at what stages do you think is OK to take a pause, gather some more funds and continue so as to prevent degradation and pilferage? thanks

Nice questions asked.

My advice is always have enough money to get your site to the German floor level before starting or at least to the filling level (because German floor is a lot of cash)

Your 1st stage should include:
a. Foundation
b. Blocks to foundation
c. Dig your septic tank and soak away ( https://www.nairaland.com/3502464/how-build-comfortable-house-earning ) I explained why on that link under No6.
d. fill the site and get it well compacted.

YOU CAN NOW TAKE THAT REST.......... if there is no money for German Floor just yet, make sure you visit the site often and ensure that no plant, tree, shrub whatever is growing on your site.... it could weaken your foundation if you allow them.

Thanks.. Good Luck

eddyline: THE ABOVE DOES NOT STOP YOU FROM BUYING SAND, GRANITE, CEMENT, BLOCKS AND STORING ON AND OFF SITE....... Once you have enough material and labour cost, kick off; that's what I mean.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Distressed 3-Storey Building At No 7, Sule Close, Apapa / Iganmu: LASEMA Raises / How To Prevent Your Prepaid Electricity Meter Card From Running Out Fast / Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.